• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root and Recovery for Metro pcs Mega! (SGH-M819N)

I appreciate your help. I really do, but I figured out a different way to reverse mistakes made.
Download Kies, update your phone's firmware, it'll restore the phone completely to the newest firmware just like from Factory.. ( this is more effective than a factory reset that you would do on the phone itself )

Once again, thanks for trying to help me out. I lost the root but I'm just happy it's back to the way it was. :)

Upvote 0
I have cwm installed and seems to be working properly. Will the clean backup you linked work through cwm or do I need to go with TWRP? Even if it works with CWM, in anyone's opinion/experience, which recovery is better to have with my m819n? Thanks for your help, soon I hope to have enough familiarity with my new mega that I can be as savey and helpful as I was with my Driod $

Upvote 0
I have cwm installed and seems to be working properly. Will the clean backup you linked work through cwm or do I need to go with TWRP? Even if it works with CWM, in anyone's opinion/experience, which recovery is better to have with my m819n? Thanks for your help, soon I hope to have enough familiarity with my new mega that I can be as savey and helpful as I was with my Driod $

it should work on CWM as well. Just have to put it in your restore folder and flash it as a restore. I perfer TWR but others like CWM. It's just one of those things where you use what fits you better.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just rooted and flashed twrp recovery with no issues.

However, I'm trying to adjust the time in the application to match with the phone's time. Is there any way to do that?? That way, each time I make a nandroid backup it will match the timestamp on the file. Any help on this would be awesome.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to surgically remove some bloatware.
Oh, yeah!!:D

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just rooted and flashed twrp recovery with no issues.

However, I'm trying to adjust the time in the application to match with the phone's time. Is there any way to do that?? That way, each time I make a nandroid backup it will match the timestamp on the file. Any help on this would be awesome.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to surgically remove some bloatware.
Oh, yeah!!:D

he updated his TWR. The new version sets it self.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8uuvfvauztdna/MEGA_6.3#wyopegjd4377g

Upvote 0
Very nice guide to rooting. Basically the same root method as s3,s4, and such. You guys should try the Philz Touch Recovery with this. I love it on my S3 and I can imagine having it on a Mega! That big ass screen provides for a lot of nice usable space. Give philz a flash and see how you like it. Supposedly it also works a lot better than CWM and TWRP according to the guys over in the S3 thread. My wife just purchase an AT&T Mega tonight. I will warn you, don't take the 4.3 update from Samsung if you don't want all the Knox crap on the phone. Flash root, then flash a de-knoxed ROM. Just trying to give a little advice from someone who took the Knox crap and wishes he wouldn't had.

Upvote 0
Very nice guide to rooting. Basically the same root method as s3,s4, and such. You guys should try the Philz Touch Recovery with this. I love it on my S3 and I can imagine having it on a Mega! That big ass screen provides for a lot of nice usable space. Give philz a flash and see how you like it. Supposedly it also works a lot better than CWM and TWRP according to the guys over in the S3 thread. My wife just purchase an AT&T Mega tonight. I will warn you, don't take the 4.3 update from Samsung if you don't want all the Knox crap on the phone. Flash root, then flash a de-knoxed ROM. Just trying to give a little advice from someone who took the Knox crap and wishes he wouldn't had.

they have it on the XDa forums. [i9200/i9205][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I have a question about a popular rom called Paranoid Android.

I successfully flashed the rom with no issues, but when I rebooted and installed the google apps that correspond with the firmware version 4.2.2 it started crashing. Bummer:(.

Is it possible that I installed bad Google apps? I loved this rom on my Galaxy Tab 2 and Galaxy S 2. Can I use the Gapps ver. 4.3, 4.4 or will I be pushing my luck?

Upvote 0
I have the SGH M819N and can't root it so far. I tried the Kingo and it didn't see my phone. I have Kies and everything I can think of on my PC, Which sees my phone BTW. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Just trying to get rid of bloatware and have the option to install custom roms. I have rooted the last two phones and was running Cyanogen Mod on both so I'm no noob. Help me Obi Wan you're my only hope.;)

Upvote 0
I have the SGH M819N and can't root it so far. I tried the Kingo and it didn't see my phone. I have Kies and everything I can think of on my PC, Which sees my phone BTW. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Just trying to get rid of bloatware and have the option to install custom roms. I have rooted the last two phones and was running Cyanogen Mod on both so I'm no noob. Help me Obi Wan you're my only hope.;)

Have you tried flashing a custom recovery with Odin first? Try that. Make sure you have all the Samsung drivers too.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1maddmaxx
Upvote 0
Tried Kingo and it never saw my phone. IDK why but that made it hard to root when it wasn't seen. I used Odin 3.7 to obtain root and I had root for sure because I had SU and Titanium running. Everything I have seen is for different flavors of the mega not my model. I'm a little gun shy at this point in time. I will try it again. I never could get a recovery to install even though I had root. Still scratching my head over that. Thanks for the link. I'll use it and save to my sd.

Upvote 0
Tried Kingo and it never saw my phone. IDK why but that made it hard to root when it wasn't seen. I used Odin 3.7 to obtain root and I had root for sure because I had SU and Titanium running. Everything I have seen is for different flavors of the mega not my model. I'm a little gun shy at this point in time. I will try it again. I never could get a recovery to install even though I had root. Still scratching my head over that. Thanks for the link. I'll use it and save to my sd.

I have the Metro version, It works fine. You probably don't have the drivers installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones