• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies Guide.....the Gingerbread Edition

Ok here we go again. I am still trying to flash a slash screen. I tried using the boot loader, and then I downloaded the flash GUI and still nothing. I can't figure out what i seem to be doing wrong. so here is what i do so you can correct me and point me in the right direction...
1) find the splash screen i want...http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=695760&d=1313905180
2) d/l the zip file
3) transfer the zip to my sdcard root
4) flash the zip from hboot
5) (supposedly this is where it reboots with new splash?)

So where am i going wrong?

Upvote 0
Ok here we go again. I am still trying to flash a slash screen. I tried using the boot loader, and then I downloaded the flash GUI and still nothing. I can't figure out what i seem to be doing wrong. so here is what i do so you can correct me and point me in the right direction...
1) find the splash screen i want...http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=695760&d=1313905180
2) d/l the zip file
3) transfer the zip to my sdcard root
4) flash the zip from hboot
5) (supposedly this is where it reboots with new splash?)

So where am i going wrong?
When you booted into your hboot screen, did it auto find that file and ask you to update?
Edit: also make sure it is named only this PC36IMG.zip not (applepoop)PC36IMG.zip
Use upper case letters, and do not add an extra .zip to the end

Upvote 0
no problem.

yes i did the HTCdev process before the links started acting up.

OK gotcha. I'm starting to think that your issues stem from the fact you are still s on. Most PC36IMG will not work with s on. But not entirely sure

Edit: again, not sure but, you could try to use Android Flasher

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks I will check that out. But for now its bedtime. Thanks for all of the help guys. And thanks for putting up with all of the questions.

no worries. and just so you know, this is a forum and it is designed for asking and getting answers to questions. if there were no questions asked we would not exist. so please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. i would get bored otherwise;):D

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If im already rooted useing the htc dev method do i have to unroot then go back and use taco or captain's method? or is there a diffrent way?
If you are already unlocked with s-on, then you just need to follow the Capt method to gain s-off.
Just read and re-read, then ask questions if you are not clear on something!:D

Reactions: TheCaptainNast
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones