• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies Guide.....the Gingerbread Edition

Hi I needed some help I was able to get s-on, I'm running the FreshEvo rom and wanted to go back to stock so I can take my evo back to sprint. The usb port isnt working so it wont connect to my pc. Is there another way to get back to stock rom without doing it usb to pc? Any help would be appreciated thank you

Hi I needed some help I was able to get s-on, I'm running the FreshEvo rom and wanted to go back to stock so I can take my evo back to sprint. The usb port isnt working so it wont connect to my pc. Is there another way to get back to stock rom without doing it usb to pc? Any help would be appreciated thank you

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!

why do you need to take it in to sprint? is it for an upgrade or because of the usb port?

also we need to know what your hboot is. report back with that info and we can go from there.

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!

why do you need to take it in to sprint? is it for an upgrade or because of the usb port?

also we need to know what your hboot is. report back with that info and we can go from there.
HBOOT is 2.16.001 I want to get it switched out for a new one since I have the total protection service, going to give the phone to my bro and get me an upgrade

HBOOT is 2.16.001 I want to get it switched out for a new one since I have the total protection service, going to give the phone to my bro and get me an upgrade

well since you are s-on with the hbot 2.16 then to finish it off you just need to flash a ruu to get you fully unrooted. the directions are in the op for this thread.

Hello everyone, i have a little challenge for you guys, if you can help.

First of all, this is what i have:

HTC Evo 4G+ (korean version)

Android Version : 4.0.3 ICS (came with phone)
Htc sense : 3.6 (came with phone)
Software number : 3.10.1010.1 (came with phone)
Kernel version : 3.0.16-g31e551c (came with phone)
htc-kernel@u18000-build-144 #1 (came with phone)
SMP PREEMPT

Baseband Version: 11.76.3504.00U_11.24.3504.18_M (came with phone)
Build number : 3.10.1010.1 CL417084 relese-keys (came with phone)
HBOOT : 1.57.0000 (came with phone)
Top of the bootloader: Unlocked (i unlocked it using the HTC webpage thing)
S-ON (came with phone)

So after reading and reading all the posts, i see the rooting process is virtually the same for the korean version, but the thing is that since i already have the ICS 4.0.3, if i want to root this, can it be done?

I shouldn't need any upgrades, just root it.

Hello everyone, i have a little challenge for you guys, if you can help.

First of all, this is what i have:

HTC Evo 4G+ (korean version)

Android Version : 4.0.3 ICS (came with phone)
Htc sense : 3.6 (came with phone)
Software number : 3.10.1010.1 (came with phone)
Kernel version : 3.0.16-g31e551c (came with phone)
htc-kernel@u18000-build-144 #1 (came with phone)
SMP PREEMPT

Baseband Version: 11.76.3504.00U_11.24.3504.18_M (came with phone)
Build number : 3.10.1010.1 CL417084 relese-keys (came with phone)
HBOOT : 1.57.0000 (came with phone)
Top of the bootloader: Unlocked (i unlocked it using the HTC webpage thing)
S-ON (came with phone)

So after reading and reading all the posts, i see the rooting process is virtually the same for the korean version, but the thing is that since i already have the ICS 4.0.3, if i want to root this, can it be done?

I shouldn't need any upgrades, just root it.
Welcome to the forums!
Are you using this phone in Korea?

not really, im using it in latin america (peru actually)

there's no 4g network here, but i managed to get the 3g working, service provider and everything (previous factory reset and stuff)

it works really great, i surprised myself by the work ive done hahaha

but i do want to root the phone so i can get access to all the goodies! :D

ok first of all revolutionary will not work on your phone since you have ICS already. neither will the other guide we have http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html as that is specifically for the evo 4g and not the korean version.

if you want you can unlock the bootloader by going to http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/.

not sure on recovery though for your phone. let me see if i can dig something up.

hold on with that, i do have the bootloader unlocked already AND also the recovery flashe with clockwork mod

i have the correct korean rom for rooting this version also, jus need to be sure the right steps, as if it was the us version

I'm stuck on this step:

next we need to flash the superuser file (superuser su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip)
10.select recovery in bootloader.
11.select install .zip from sdcard.
12.find the superuser file and flash it.

Do I extract the file? When I don't extract it, it doesn't show when I go to flash. If I do extract it, it says there are no files to open. By flash does him mean hit the power button to open the file?

Please help, very frustrated!

I'm stuck on this step:

next we need to flash the superuser file (superuser su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip)
10.select recovery in bootloader.
11.select install .zip from sdcard.
12.find the superuser file and flash it.

Do I extract the file? When I don't extract it, it doesn't show when I go to flash. If I do extract it, it says there are no files to open. By flash does him mean hit the power button to open the file?

Please help, very frustrated!
Welcome to AF!!
Do not extract it. Just download it, transfer to sd card, boot into recovery, follow step 11, then 12. you select things in recovery by pushing the power button...navigate using the volume up/down buttons. To make the .zip easier to find, do not put it into any folder on the sd card when you transfer it from your computer to the phone.
Any more questions, just ask...it's o.k.:)

When I download superuser it is in a folder. I drop the folder into the sdcard and then I boot into recovery, select install .zip from sdcard, then select .zip from sdcard and then it is not on the list so I can select it. Am I doing something wrong? (obviously)

When I download superuser it is in a folder. I drop the folder into the sdcard and then I boot into recovery, select install .zip from sdcard, then select .zip from sdcard and then it is not on the list so I can select it. Am I doing something wrong? (obviously)

do not extract the .zip file leave it as it is. move the file to the sd card. do not put it in any folder. use the vol up and down buttons to scroll down until you find the file. if you have not extracted the file and if you have put it on the root of the card(no folder) then you should see it in recovery.

do not extract the .zip file leave it as it is. move the file to the sd card. do not put it in any folder. use the vol up and down buttons to scroll down until you find the file. if you have not extracted the file and if you have put it on the root of the card(no folder) then you should see it in recovery.

I understand this but the phone is only finding the file if I extract it. When I download the file from this site it looks like a file with a zipper on it, I take that folder and drop it into the sdcard. If I am not supposed to have it in a folder, how do I do that? Inside the folder with the zipper on it are two more folders, they say META-INF and system. Then the folder that says META-INF has another folder that says com and then it leads to a google folder and then an android folder. I guess with all the internal folders, I'm not understanding how to put the file on the SDcard without being in a folder.

(Reminder - the post is rooting for dummies)

I understand this but the phone is only finding the file if I extract it. When I download the file from this site it looks like a file with a zipper on it, I take that folder and drop it into the sdcard. If I am not supposed to have it in a folder, how do I do that? Inside the folder with the zipper on it are two more folders, they say META-INF and system. Then the folder that says META-INF has another folder that says com and then it leads to a google folder and then an android folder. I guess with all the internal folders, I'm not understanding how to put the file on the SDcard without being in a folder.

(Reminder - the post is rooting for dummies)

the folder with the zipper on it is actually a file. leave it zipped and move this to the sd card. your recovery should find it.

the folder with the zipper on it is actually a file. leave it zipped and move this to the sd card. your recovery should find it.

Thats the problem...The recovery isn't finding it if I do it that way. I boot my phone by hitting the power and volume down. When the menu comes up it says HBoot then fastboot, recovery,clear storage,simlock, hboot usb.
I goto recovery, then install zip from sdcard, then choose zip from sdcard. Then superuser is not in the list.

Thats the problem...The recovery isn't finding it if I do it that way. I boot my phone by hitting the power and volume down. When the menu comes up it says HBoot then fastboot, recovery,clear storage,simlock, hboot usb.
I goto recovery, then install zip from sdcard, then choose zip from sdcard. Then superuser is not in the list.

are you sure? have you used the vol up and vol down to scroll thru the list?

OMG... I found it. I have been working on this since Friday. Thank you so much for your help!

LOL glad you found it. now instead of staying on stock i would recommend that you try some roms that are out now. mikg3.11 is soooooooo much better then stock. actually htc should have paid mik for his rom as it is what stock should have been.

I just got an Evo 4g off of ebay. I rooted it fine, but when I tried to back it up, I got an error. Like an idiot, I said "whatever, I'll just put on an official rom if something goes wrong." I tried installing mikg3.11 but when I restarted I just got the white HTC screen for over an hour. I figured something was wrong, went back to bootloader, wiped dalvik cache, cache, and data 3 times and installed a stock rom from XDA. Now, I have the same white htc screen on startup. Any ideas what I messed up?

I just got an Evo 4g off of ebay. I rooted it fine, but when I tried to back it up, I got an error. Like an idiot, I said "whatever, I'll just put on an official rom if something goes wrong." I tried installing mikg3.11 but when I restarted I just got the white HTC screen for over an hour. I figured something was wrong, went back to bootloader, wiped dalvik cache, cache, and data 3 times and installed a stock rom from XDA. Now, I have the same white htc screen on startup. Any ideas what I messed up?
Welcome to AF!! :)
You followed the guide in the op of this thread?
I assume you have Amon Ra recovery?
You probably didnt wipe enough...try this....
Wipe everything 3 times but DO NOT WIPE THE SD CARD! I know I used caps but that sometimes happens if you are not careful:p
(did it once...not nice lol)
Then flash MikG 3.11 again....let the rom sit for 10 minutes or so after flash....
Then wake up phone....

Back