• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies Guide.....the Gingerbread Edition

Thanks for the help guys. So I looked up the hboot, its 6.16.1002 and under settings on the phone it says Android version 2.3.3. Is that enough info to recommend a rooting type, or do you need more?

Thanks again!

Whoa, forgive me if I'm wrong, with that h-boot, doesn't that mean it's rooted with Revolutionary...that's the way I did it, and that's my hboot:)

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Yes, I got through the revolutionary process for rooting. all except the last part where you are supposed to open the SU file on the phones SD card. When I go to the SU file nothing happens and the Super User permission app doesn't pop up on the phone.

Ah o.k...didn't read that far up.
In your h-boot screen does it say s-on, or s-off
Basically, get to your hboot screen and type everything you see..
Did you just do part 2 of that video, or I assume you did part 1?:thinking:

Upvote 0
Yes, I got through the revolutionary process for rooting. all except the last part where you are supposed to open the SU file on the phones SD card. When I go to the SU file nothing happens and the Super User permission app doesn't pop up on the phone.

Did you unzip the file or keep it zipped up? It sounds to me like you may have unzipped it

The file has to be zipped up for it to be installed on the phone through recovery.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I did watch the second video and its the last step on the second video. When it asks you to choose the superuser option, then you are supposed to hit "yes." Then the guy in the video says, "just let it do its thing." mine doesn't do anything, it doesn't recognize its supposed to unzip.

As far as downloading the file, I downloaded it straight from the website onto the phone as not up accidentally unzip it.

Two things I am wondering,
I am on a mac (only for the second video) used a pc for the first video. is that the problem?

-or-
am I supposed to download it to a specific file. The guy says download it to the SD card, but I don't have a file named SD card. So I am just assuming that putting it on the phone is loading it to the SD card.

Upvote 0
I did watch the second video and its the last step on the second video. When it asks you to choose the superuser option, then you are supposed to hit "yes." Then the guy in the video says, "just let it do its thing." mine doesn't do anything, it doesn't recognize its supposed to unzip.

As far as downloading the file, I downloaded it straight from the website onto the phone as not up accidentally unzip it.

Two things I am wondering,
I am on a mac (only for the second video) used a pc for the first video. is that the problem?

-or-
am I supposed to download it to a specific file. The guy says download it to the SD card, but I don't have a file named SD card. So I am just assuming that putting it on the phone is loading it to the SD card.

As far as the mac goes, wouldn't think so.
But when you put that superuser zip on the phone it went to your sd card.
(when you plug phone into computer, then mount as disk drive, and what you see on your computer are your sd card contents.)
Like Rx said leave it zipped when you install it on your phone...then in recovery, choose that zip file, then choose to install it. And it should install.
Try downloading it again, leaving it zipped and install it via recovery:)
If you need that file again, Rx or I can give it to you

Upvote 0
I just want to say thanks again for helping me out with this, I feel like we're getting somewhere!

So I did just what you said above, followed that word for word... just from another source.

Another thing I was wondering, is there a step I could have missed earlier on which would keep me from being able to unzip that file?

Also so are we agreeing that this is the right process for rooting the phone?

Would you be able to send me the SU file, just to make sure I'm getting the right one?

Upvote 0
I just want to say thanks again for helping me out with this, I feel like we're getting somewhere!

So I did just what you said above, followed that word for word... just from another source.

Another thing I was wondering, is there a step I could have missed earlier on which would keep me from being able to unzip that file?

Also so are we agreeing that this is the right process for rooting the phone?

Would you be able to send me the SU file, just to make sure I'm getting the right one?
When you say unzip, don't do it yourself, let your phone do it.
Ya know, I was thinking, after you chose that zip in recovery, did recovery prompt you to install? Maybe you missed the prompt and didn't select o.k.?
One last question, in your hboot, does it say s-off or s-on?
Oh, and here is the superuser file....leave it as it, install on root (not in any folder) of sd card.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58324641/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

Upvote 0
I want to comment on the "nandroid" part of the guide. You may want to mention that the nandroid cannot be restored if the file name has been modified. I learned this tonight...I tied to restore a nandroid whose folder name was appended with a note (no spaces) and it would not work until I reverted the folder name back to the original. The original name was "HT116HL06336" and I changed it to "HT116HL06336_311" which didn't work. Adding this "warning" to the guide may save someone some grief. Thanks.

Upvote 0
If you download it onto your mac it automatically gets unzipped

If you downloaded it to your phone it will be on the SD card but may be in a subfolder such as /downloads. This is OK you just need to be able to find it.

You reboot into recovery, select install zip, install from SD card, navigate to the card with volume up/down & power to select. It will verify that that is what you want and hit power again to flash it.

....If none of this works you could always skip this all together and just flash a custom ROM. They are 10X better than the stock ones. & they are already rooted so you dont have to worry about this SU zip

Upvote 0
I want to comment on the "nandroid" part of the guide. You may want to mention that the nandroid cannot be restored if the file name has been modified. I learned this tonight...I tied to restore a nandroid whose folder name was appended with a note (no spaces) and it would not work until I reverted the folder name back to the original. The original name was "HT116HL06336" and I changed it to "HT116HL06336_311" which didn't work. Adding this "warning" to the guide may save someone someone grief. Thanks.
I think you renamed the wrong file.
In that HT116HL--- file there is another file BCDEARS20100622
That's the file you rename.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I want to comment on the "nandroid" part of the guide. You may want to mention that the nandroid cannot be restored if the file name has been modified. I learned this tonight...I tied to restore a nandroid whose folder name was appended with a note (no spaces) and it would not work until I reverted the folder name back to the original. The original name was "HT116HL06336" and I changed it to "HT116HL06336_311" which didn't work. Adding this "warning" to the guide may save someone some grief. Thanks.

That HTXXXXXXX is a device specific folder name so if you change that it doesn't match up with your device. You can rename the actual nandroids all you want but not the folder they are contained in.

Upvote 0
When you say unzip, don't do it yourself, let your phone do it.
Ya know, I was thinking, after you chose that zip in recovery, did recovery prompt you to install? Maybe you missed the prompt and didn't select o.k.?
One last question, in your hboot, does it say s-off or s-on?
Oh, and here is the superuser file....leave it as it, install on root (not in any folder) of sd card.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58324641/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

When you say install on root, how do I navigate to the root? Is there a specific name I can look for? When I put it on the phone before I just dropped it in the main folder... was that the problem?

Upvote 0
When you say install on root, how do I navigate to the root? Is there a specific name I can look for? When I put it on the phone before I just dropped it in the main folder... was that the problem?
Sorry, I should clarify.
Root, meaning top, or not in any folder. What you did when you dropped in on your sd card is correct. But as Rx said, you can still find it in recovery.
Don't worry, you are good.

Upvote 0

the "root" of the SD card just means not in any subfolders (downloads, movies, pictures, ect), just on the card itself.

This is very important for updating things via the PC36IMG.zip method, but not required for flashing things through recovery as long as you know where you put it.

Upvote 0
Ok. I didn't know that. Maybe that information should be in the Dummies guide.

consider it done.

here it is:
one of the things you can do to help keep your nandroid backups organized is to rename them. but in order to do that you have to know where to find them. in amon ra recovery they are found in the nandroid folder that is created on the sd card. in clockwork mod they are found in the clockwork mod folder. for amon ra there is a sub folder that is phone specific. mine is named: HT0CVHL01139. inside this folder is your nandroid backup. it should look like:BDES-20120323-0530.

now to rename them, you can rename them to anything that you like, just do not use any weird symbols and do not use spaces within the name. for me i usually just rename them by deleting the BDES part and insert the name of the rom it belongs to. for instance CM7-20120323-0530 could be a name of one of my nandroid backups. also if you notice the numbers correspond to date and time.

hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
thanx rx
i just hope this clears things up. not sure why i did not write this sooner into the guide. thinking about adding the after root section to the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html as well. i hate having to link this guide after people have rooted or unlocked the latest ota using the other guide.
Agreed.

Maybe include everything in the after root section of this guide into the newer one? All of the information is still good (with the exception of switching recoveries via PC36IMG possibly). If there are space issues, we can always ask a mod to move one of your posts up to the 2nd post in the thread.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Agreed.

Maybe include everything in the after root section of this guide into the newer one? All of the information is still good (with the exception of switching recoveries via PC36IMG possibly). If there are space issues, we can always ask a mod to move one of your posts up to the 2nd post in the thread.

yeah i'm gonna delete the faq section of my second post and just copy and paste the after root section there. space should not be an issue. and i will edit it reflecting the PC36IMG file issue. it most likely be tomorrow when that gets done.

Upvote 0
When I tried to flash the radio it says cant find update script....I need to bring phone back to sprint to have the camera fixed. I am having the hardest time getting s on
hboot 6.16.1002
radio2.15.00.09.01

Any help will be appreciated
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!
well to be honest for a camera issue, you might just want to flash a stock rom. it is not necessary these days to completely unroot. but if you want to continue then......

are you naming the file correctly? it needs to be named exactly PC36IMG with no extra .zips to the name.

also are you putting the file on the root of the sd card? no folders?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones