• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting on 4.3 & 4.4

El Presidente

Beware The Milky Pirate!
Jan 3, 2011
Scotland
The below is what's required for 4.4.2 and below, if you've upgraded to 4.4.4, you can root without downgrading by using this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2784900

I know this looks a lot, but most of the work is done for you by flashtool and the various 1-click programs available.

None of this is my own btw, I've just collated info from other people in to one place and made an easy to follow (hopefully) guide.
---------------------------------

Unfortunately, the only 3 firmware versions that can be rooted are 14.1.G.1.518, 14.1.G.1.526 & 14.1.G.1.534 meaning that if you're looking for root and running .257 or have upgraded to Android 4.3 or 4.4, you're going to need to downgrade to obtain it.

This also means that if you want to run anything other than these 3 firmware versions and be rooted, you need to run a custom ROM.

It looks like a fairly lengthy process, but if you know your way around Android and have rooted or used flashtool before, it can actually be done in less than half an hour. If it's your first time, it's probably best to set aside a full hour, just in case you get stuck.

Before you start all this, disable any Sony Software on your PC, namely PC Companion and SEUS.

Worth noting that the ftf files & the ROM.zip mentioned are for the C6903. The process is the same for the other variants, just make sure you download the correct files before you proceed.

----------------------------------------------------------
Downgrading

Firstly, you'll need the excellent Flashtool, by Androxyde, you can get that here: Download | Flashtool

Then you'll need to download a 518, 526 or 534 ftf file from here: [FTF] C6902 & C6903 & C6906 & C6943 FTF Mega Collection - xda-developers

Once downloaded and flashtool has been installed, move the ftf file to C:\FlashTool\Firmware\ and reboot.

In order to flash the file, turn your handset off, open Flashtool and hit the flash icon in the top left corner of the window. You'll be asked if you want to run in Flashmode or Fastboot mode, select Flashmode. You should then be taken to a screen which looks like this:

Flashtool%2001.png

You want to wipe everything and exclude nothing.

To proceed click "flash" and you'll get a prompt to connect your device in flashmode. With the phone still turned off, connect it to your PC whilst holding Volume Down.

Let the flash proceed and disconnect and turn the phone back on when Flashtool asks you to do so.

There is a high probability that your device won't pick up a cellular signal when it's turned back on. This is fine as when we flash the ROM, everything will go back to normal.

Once downgraded, you can root.

Rooting

Head to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (Tap this 7 times). You should now get a toast letting you know you're a developer. If you head back to settings, you'll see something called Developer Options, go in to that submenu and activate USB Debugging.

Download and install Kingo on your PC: http://www.kingoapp.com/

Reboot both your phone and PC (this might not be needed, but whenever I have problems with Kingo, rebooting PC & Phone sorts it), run Kingo and follow the on screen instructions. Your phone will reboot again and it should hopefully now be rooted.
Installing a Custom Recovery

In order to install the custom ROM, you'll first need to install something called a custom recovery. In very basic terms, this is a piece of software you boot in to before the phone boots to the OS so you can install the ROM.

Head here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2261606

On that page, there's a download link for the recovery: http://nut.xperia-files.com/

There's a lot there, but the file you're looking for should be called Z1-lockeddualrecoveryX.X.XXX-BETA.installer.zip, replacing the X's with numbers. Look for the latest version which is currently Z1-lockeddualrecovery2.7.121-BETA.installer.zip.

Download the zip file and extract it somewhere on your PC.

Once done, connect the phone to your PC, navigate to the recovery folder using Windows explorer and run the install batch file. It will ask you which SuperUser app you have installed, if you've used Kingo, it should be SuperSU, but you can check by looking in the app drawer on your phone. Select the relevant option, follow the on screen prompts and let it do it's thing. Your phone should reboot, when it does, you should be taken to TWRP Recovery.

In recovery, select Reboot -> System and you'll boot back in to Android.

To boot back in to recovery, turn the phone off and turn it on again. When you see the Sony Logo, as soon the device vibrates, hold the volume down button until the LED turns purple and you'll boot back to TWRP. Alternatively, download NDR Utils from the Play store and use that to boot into recovery from your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.camber.ndrutils

One important thing to note, do not under any circumstances, install Busybox, or any app that has the potential to update busybox as this will wipe the recovery and you'll need to start over from scratch.
Installing the ROM

You're nearly there! This bit is a little bit more involved than rest of the process, but it's not that difficult, especially if you're used to navigating round recoveries and flashing ROM's etc.

First up, you'll need to select the ROM you want to run. For simplicities sake, I'll choose a simple stock based ROM with some bloat removed and root access.

Some say you can go from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2, but the instructions for the 4.4.2 ROM I use say I have to update to 4.3 first, so I'd follow the devs instructions (it's what I did and I have no problems).

Head here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2572988

I've had it confirmed by the dev, that it is safe to go straight to 4.4.2, from 4.2.2 without going to 4.3 first, the thread you want is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2687443

If you're using the C6903 variant of the Z1, you'll need to download these files: C6903: Download C6903_14.3.A.0.681.flashable.zip (Bittorrent: 934MB) and C6903_14.3.A.0.681_Stripped.ftf

Once downloaded, copy the flashable zip to the root of your phones external SD Card and place the ftf file in the flashtool firmwares folder you made earlier.

Reboot into recovery and head to Install and select install zip from SD Card, you're not going to flash anything yet, you just want to make sure you can see the zip file you put on your SD Card earlier.

Head back to the main menu and go to backup, then backup your current ROM. Probably worth making sure you're using the external SD Card as the location of the backup, you can check this on the backup screen (it's the bottom option).

Backing up will take about 5 minutes, once completed, head back to the main TWRP screen.

Then head to Wipe -> Advanced Wipe and check the Dalvik, System, Data & Cache options and wipe by swiping the bar on the bottom of the screen.

Once done, head back to the main TWRP menu, then select install zip from SD Card and choose the flashable zip file you copied over earlier. Let it do what it needs to do, head back to the main screen in TWRP and select Reboot -> Power Off (that bit is very, very important).

This next bit is probably the riskiest part of the process, read here for more info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2574764

Go back to your PC, open flashtool, hit the flash icon, flashmode, exclude NOTHING in the stripped ftf file and wipe nothing (making sure all elements of the ftf file is flashed, is very, very important. If you miss anything, you will probably end up with an expensive paperweight). Whilst it is turned off, connect the phone to your PC whilst holding Volume Down to enter flashmode and let flashtool do it's thing.

Once it's done, flashtool will tell you you can disconnect your phone and reboot.

If nothing happens, you'll need to give Sony/your network a call, but hopefully you should boot in to a fully rooted Android 4.4.2! :)

If you've any questions, I'll be more than happy to help. :)

Reactions: SavageRobot
If I might make one suggestion (this one bit me once, and it never will again):

Head back to the main menu and go to backup, then backup your current ROM. Probably worth making sure you're using the external SD Card as the location of the backup, you can check this on the backup screen (it's the bottom option).

Backing up will take about 5 minutes, once completed, head back to the main TWRP screen.

Then head to Wipe -> Advanced Wipe

Between these two steps, restore the backup you just made - to make sure that you have a usable backup. If it can't read the backup or you have some other problem, delete the backup from the SD card and back up again. It's no fun having to beg for a backup from someone (because installing the new ROM went wrong) and having no phone until someone posts one for you.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I have followed above post and all was going well...too well. I got up to this bit without a glitch

Then head to Wipe -> Advanced Wipe and check the Dalvik, System, Data & Cache options and wipe by swiping the bar on the bottom of the screen.

Once done, head back to the main TWRP menu, then select install zip from SD Card and choose the flashable zip file you copied over earlier. Let it do what it needs to do, head back to the main screen in TWRP and select Reboot -> Power Off (that bit is very, very important).
Did the backup, did the wipe, tried to flash the zip but just keeps coming up with failed. Have had to restore the backup but at the moment I am just running the .534 without signal etc so could really do with any suggestions what I done wrong this time please? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Just a quick one, I have it all up and running...got a little panicy at first when it was in French, but seems OK now, just redownloading and updating everything now. However, got a notification that in order to use hangouts I needed to update Play Services, did that but it came up with an error something like "Play Services is not able to work on this device" or something like that. Just opened it now however and it looks to be working.
Also I have a notification that the .757 update is available, how do I get rid of this update (I'm assuming I obviously can't update without losing root). Also is it safe to update the Walkman app etc?

Upvote 0
If you want to update to. 757, you'll need to flash his. 757 zip and ftf, but there's not much difference between 681 and 757 tbh, so I'd wait until Sony release another decent update.

You can safely update the Walkman app no problem (I just did) and if you want to turn off system update notifications, do so from the settings in the update centre app.

If you're getting force closes a lot, nip back in to recovery, head to advanced and Fix Permissions.

Also, if you want to update the recovery now, you'll need to do so with the flashable zip file, not the installer. Easy done, just flash it as you would a ROM, but no need to wipe.

You should be good to go as is though. :)

Upvote 0
I couldn't see he had a .757 ftf. No I'm not really bothered until there is a more feature packed / fluid release.
I can't find where to turn off the thing in my notification tray though saying there is an update available. I have gone in Update Centre and all I can see is to turn off notification sounds / vibrations. Is that the app you meant? I just want rid of the notification in my tray.

Thanks for all the help

Upvote 0
Ok, long press the notification, press App Info, then untick the show notifications box. You'll miss Walkman/Gallery app updates (but you can still check by going in to the update centre app), but that's definitely how I did it.

Yeah, it was a bit quiet. I updated to .757 over the weekend, that sorted the low volumes.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to AF. :)

If you plan on unlocking your bootloader, you'll lose your DRM keys and the bravia engine, but there are ways around that. If your bootloader is still locked, you've nothing to worry about.

You should technically be able to go to .757 no problem, I just did it this way so it's the method I felt most comfortable writing up.

Reactions: r_southampton
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones