• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting questions/TacoROOT issues

mikemike1234

Android Enthusiast
hello i am new to the rooting scen as well. and i need some help as well. i am currently on a sprint evo 4g with

android version

baseband version

kernel version 2.6.35.10-g94d0005

build number
5.07.651.1 cl356670 release key

pri version was 2.33_003

on a supersonic evt3 ship s-on

hboot 2.18.0001

microp 041f

touch panel atmelc03_16ac

radio 2.15.00.12.19

dec 12,2011 12:50 :32

and i have been wanting to root for some time. but still not sure and have a few question si like to asks sent i have been reading for crazy for past few months. just need some clearifaction on some things. because from reading and watching things on youtub i am realy confused.

if any one like to help please get back and i well post my questions so you dont have to read this post for ever

thanks

hello i am new to the rooting scen as well. and i need some help as well. i am currently on a sprint evo 4g with

and i have been wanting to root for some time. but still not sure and have a few question si like to asks sent i have been reading for crazy for past few months. just need some clearifaction on some things. because from reading and watching things on youtub i am realy confused.

if any one like to help please get back and i well post my questions so you dont have to read this post for ever

thanks

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!
here is the guide you want:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

like rxpert said, please feel free to ask questions. best thing to do is read, then read again, then ask questions here, then root.

can i still do a firmware update and keep it rooted? and if so how would i do that ?

and if not how would i get updates then?

can i switch back and forth from a stock rom and a rooted on the phone so if i was to ever have to take it in?

if i have to reset the phone back to factory settings during the rooting process from the guide would it not be easyer to just do a factory reset from the phne when i do the rooting

which leads to the question ifi the phone dose the reset back it well go from the 2.3.5 that i currently have to the 2.3.3 so int that case what guide to i fallow

now to root the phone dose it have to be active on the carrier network or can put my cell number on a older phone and do the root so ia m not with out my phone ?

can i keep a copy of my stock rom at this point in time with my settings and apps and my personalized things?

or dose the phone have to be reset back to factory settings to do the root?

can i still do a firmware update and keep it rooted? and if so how would i do that ?
No, never accept an OTA while rooted
and if not how would i get updates then?
Easy, you just flash a ROM with the update built into it

can i switch back and forth from a stock rom and a rooted on the phone so if i was to ever have to take it in?
Yes, you can

if i have to reset the phone back to factory settings during the rooting process from the guide would it not be easyer to just do a factory reset from the phne when i do the rooting

It will automatically do a factory reset if you use the hTC dev method

which leads to the question ifi the phone dose the reset back it well go from the 2.3.5 that i currently have to the 2.3.3 so int that case what guide to i fallow
No, the android version will not chance. It will just erase the user data and apps

now to root the phone dose it have to be active on the carrier network or can put my cell number on a older phone and do the root so ia m not with out my phone ?
No, it does not need to be connected to the network, but rooting shouldnt have your phone unavailable for use for very long.

can i keep a copy of my stock rom at this point in time with my settings and apps and my personalized things?

Not really, you can use something like mybackuppro to backup all of your apps, but it won't save their data. If you don't want to lose data do the tacoROOT method

or dose the phone have to be reset back to factory settings to do the root?
No it doesn't have to be, but the hTC DEV method wipes your phone

Responses in red

so then the dev method thow well leave a water mark so if i have to take my phone into the nearest sprint store and there tech look at it well they see that is rooted right
'

and were would i find the rooted roms with the latest updates then

and the mybackuppro that is not free right you have ot pay for it

so then the dev method thow well leave a water mark so if i have to take my phone into the nearest sprint store and there tech look at it well they see that is rooted right
'

and were would i find the rooted roms with the latest updates then

and the mybackuppro that is not free right you have ot pay for it

I would suggest trying tacoroot first. It won't leave the watermark.

Roms can always be found in the roms and kernel download page. Once you get rooted we can give you some suggestions.

If you do tacoroot you'll be able to backup all your apps and their data with titanium backup. It's free.

so either way i am starting over right pretty much but thanks i think i undedrstand i just hate to start over thow but if i deside the best thing is the toaco root thank guys for the inof i well give it a bit more thoguht befor i do this

oh and sents i well be rooting if i do about the stock rom that is or that i am currenty on what happens to that and do i get to keep a copy of it or am i total getting ride of it

oh and sents i well be rooting if i do about the stock rom that is or that i am currenty on what happens to that and do i get to keep a copy of it or am i total getting ride of it
When you root, your current stock rom will still be there, just as if you opened up the box with your new phone.
Also once you are rooted you can backup that stock rom in recovery, then flash another.

When you root, your current stock rom will still be there, just as if you opened up the box with your new phone.
Also once you are rooted you can backup that stock rom in recovery, then flash another.

You dont have to start over if you use tacoroot. thats what i was trying to get across

No you don't do Htc dev at all if you do tacoroot

Your two choices are either
1-Tacoroot to get s-off
2-HTC dev to unlock the bootloader
2a- captn throwback to gain s-off (optional but must do Htc dev first)

Tacoroot won't work unless the phone is stock

k i am rooting at this time i am doing the taco rooot i am on step 4 and it says

4.we need to extract and then move the flash_image and the mtd-eng files on to the sd card. you can do this while the phone is on and set to disk drive via the usb cable. make sure that you do not put the extracted files in any folders. they need to be on the root of the card (very top level).

so my question would be do i move the whole folder that has been extracted or unzipped or do i move the file that is in the extracted or unzipped folder

i ask this because both files i have extracted have img files in them so do i move the extracted files folders or do i move the files that are the ones in the extract folders that are the img.

and the reason i am making sure what files i need to move or extract is because the folder that i downloaded the flash image and extracted it has in it a file called flash img. and the other folder i did was the mtd erg and i extracted it and it says in it the file si mtd erg img. but according to the step for the mtd is i file and not a image

k i am rooting at this time i am doing the taco rooot i am on step 4 and it says

4.we need to extract and then move the flash_image and the mtd-eng files on to the sd card. you can do this while the phone is on and set to disk drive via the usb cable. make sure that you do not put the extracted files in any folders. they need to be on the root of the card (very top level).

so my question would be do i move the whole folder that has been extracted or unzipped or do i move the file that is in the extracted or unzipped folder

i ask this because both files i have extracted have img files in them so do i move the extracted files folders or do i move the files that are the ones in the extract folders that are the img.
Extract both files...one is named flash_image,
and the other is named mtd-eng.img.
Put those on sd card.
Both are files...move those:)

k now when putting the commands in at the cmd prompt

the command look like there are spaces in between ser words for example here the first command to be intered is

.once the phone is booted up on your pc and in the command window from the android folder enter:

Code:
adb push tacoroot.sh /data/local/

so to me this look like a space in between words like

adb and push so it should be written with spaces like this i well put a space were i think there are space so you can see what i mean

adb space push space tacoroot.sh space /data/local/

or dose it need to be all one word like

adbpushtacoroot.sh/data/local/

k now when putting the commands in at the cmd prompt

the command look like there are spaces in between ser words for example here the first command to be intered is

.once the phone is booted up on your pc and in the command window from the android folder enter:

Code:
adb push tacoroot.sh /data/local/

so to me this look like a space in between words like

adb and push so it should be written with spaces like this i well put a space were i think there are space so you can see what i mean

adb space push space tacoroot.sh space /data/local/

or dose it need to be all one word like

adbpushtacoroot.sh/data/local/

yeah spaces are crucial in the command window. best thing to do is copy and paste(right click in the command window and select paste) the commands in.

k guys now i am up to step 14 and it says

14.rename the pc36img_supersonic_s_sprint_wwe_3.70.651.1_radio_2 .15.00.11.19_nv_1.90_release_161482_signed file that you downloaded earlier to PC36IMG. do not add an extra zip as windows by default hides extensions.

now that file i d/l earler it came up as the name 4sync with other things after it is this the same file it is talking about

k guys now i am up to step 14 and it says

14.rename the pc36img_supersonic_s_sprint_wwe_3.70.651.1_radio_2 .15.00.11.19_nv_1.90_release_161482_signed file that you downloaded earlier to PC36IMG. do not add an extra zip as windows by default hides extensions.

now that file i d/l earler it came up as the name 4sync with other things after it is this the same file it is talking about

no, thats not the right file. Delete that.

http://www.4shared.com/get/Cf3g-3lV/pc36img_supersonic_s_sprint_ww.html
I think you have to create an account to download

k i think i got the file i had to go to 4share to get it right and it is a zip file . dose this file need to stay zipped and not be extracted when i put it on the sd card

Back
Top Bottom