• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

Just noticed your firmware zip file for step 2 is named shooter_ota_1.14.652.5_1.50.5050jb.zip. Shouldn't it be shooter_ota_2.95.652.5_1.50.5050jb.zip if it includes the updates from the March OTA?

And it would be nice to have that file posted by itself as a PG86IMG.zip file somewhere so S-OFF users that want to flash the RUU and then update to the current firmware don't have download all the other stuff for this guide and then extract that file.

ramjet73
It should be named differently, but I forgot to change the filename when I updated the zip... not a big deal, save for some confusion it might create. Results are still the same - Next time I change something, I'll try to remember to update that file.

Here it is as a standalone.

This has probably been answered somewhere else, but since I just completed this guide and it's hard to search for "4g" on an Evo 4G forum, I'll ask it here.

This happened before I got s-off, and it just happened again. Every now and then I'll notice my 4G is off. I'll try to turn it back on with the 4G widget, the widget will cycle/flash as it does when it tries to turn on 4G, but then fails to turn it on and goes back to gray. A phone restart fixes the issue. Not a huge deal, but wondering if there is an easy fix.

Edit: Updated profile as suggested by ramanifest below (thanks!). We'll see if it pops up again.

So I used the guide and its all good. I changed my radio to see what it did. If I wanted to revert back to what I ended with when I finished this guide, what part would I follow? Or do I need to do something else to just get the radio portion of this guide? Thank you.

So I used the guide and its all good. I changed my radio to see what it did. If I wanted to revert back to what I ended with when I finished this guide, what part would I follow? Or do I need to do something else to just get the radio portion of this guide? Thank you.
You can just download and flash the firmware only file for the March OTA from this post which includes the current radio and PRI.

ramjet73

You can just download and flash the firmware only file for the March OTA from this post which includes the current radio and PRI.

ramjet73

I looked at the post, I will search through it in a few. Looks like a new app idea? Once the kids settle down, right now they are jacked up on Easter candy and running around like lunatics...

I looked at the post, I will search through it in a few. Looks like a new app idea? Once the kids settle down, right now they are jacked up on Easter candy and running around like lunatics...
The firmware only file is linked from the word "Here's" at the beginning of that post. Just flash it from the bootloader as a PG86IMG.zip file or use the "fastboot flash zip" command that is documented in remanifest's guide thread.

ramjet73

The firmware only file is linked from the word "Here's" at the beginning of that post. Just flash it from the bootloader as a PG86IMG.zip file or use the "fastboot flash zip" command that is documented in remanifest's guide thread.

ramjet73

OK. This might sound crazy, but when I clicked on your link in tapatalk it took me to a "new app idea" thread... Confused, I opened in a browser and BOOM, just as you said, the proper post and according link. Back in business, sorry about that and thank you.

This has probably been answered somewhere else, but since I just completed this guide and it's hard to search for "4g" on an Evo 4G forum, I'll ask it here.

This happened before I got s-off, and it just happened again. Every now and then I'll notice my 4G is off. I'll try to turn it back on with the 4G widget, the widget will cycle/flash as it does when it tries to turn on 4G, but then fails to turn it on and goes back to gray. A phone restart fixes the issue. Not a huge deal, but wondering if there is an easy fix.
That issue is related to your coverage area, your radio, or your ROM. Have you gone into your system settings and updated your profile with Virgin Mobile?

Help, please!!

I was trying to root my evo v and install harmonia, but my wifi and 4g didn't work.
I tried to flash my backup, but somehow managed to screw that up as well.
I was stuck in boot loop, so I found this thread and tried to follow the instructions.
I got as far as relocking and attempting to run the RUU, which failed twice so far.
I get this message
The Rom Update Utility cannot update your Android phone. please get correct utility and try again.
I saw this message after the RUU finished
Hboot version is older!
Update fail!

The recovery screen now says
***relocked***
Shooter xs ship s-on rl
Hboot 1.58.0000
eMMC-boot

any suggestions? I would be happy to just get back to stock, but can't figure out what to do.

Help, please!!

I was trying to root my evo v and install harmonia, but my wifi and 4g didn't work.
I tried to flash my backup, but somehow managed to screw that up as well.
I was stuck in boot loop, so I found this thread and tried to follow the instructions.
I got as far as relocking and attempting to run the RUU, which failed twice so far.
I get this message
The Rom Update Utility cannot update your Android phone. please get correct utility and try again.
I saw this message after the RUU finished
Hboot version is older!
Update fail!

The recovery screen now says
***relocked***
Shooter xs ship s-on rl
Hboot 1.58.0000
eMMC-boot

any suggestions? I would be happy to just get back to stock, but can't figure out what to do.
Sorry I didn't see this! Hope I can help you out now :)

I take it you're still stuck in a bootloop? The problem with being on 1.58.0000 is that no RUU exists for that version of your bootloader.

But, I do have some ideas on what may help you fix this problem:

If you are on Windows, download this file, and double-click it to open it. Merge the changes to your registry. This will add an entry to your elevated right-click menu, so that you may open a command window in a specific folder as an Administrator. This is important, please don't skip it.

• Extract the shooter-root-soff-fix file to your C:\ drive on windows, or to your home directory on Linux. Do not make a new folder, just extract. If you need a zip application, my preferred zip application on Windows is PeaZip. It is based on 7zip, and handles almost any archive you can imagine.
Windows: Press the WINDOWS KEY+R, and type
Code:
C:\shooter-root-soff-fix
  • Hold down the shift key on your keyboard, and right-click on the S-OFF folder, then select "Open command window here as Administrator" (it will have a shield icon next to it).
Now, issue the following commands, one after another:

• fastboot erase cache

• fastboot erase boot

• fastboot erase system -w

• fastboot erase userdata -w

• fastboot boot recovery.img
4EXT will give you some warning. Ignore it and press the check mark.

• From 4EXT, go to the wipe | format menu, and select format all partitions (except sdcard). Confirm your selection

• Download and install this ROM. You may connect your phone to the computer by choosing toggle usb storage. Once it's on your SD Card, you may choose install from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard to pick the ROM file.

• Once you've got it installed, go into the power menu and reboot. 4EXT will give you some other warning. Ignore it, it's normal.

Your phone should be working now - if you want S-OFF (highly recommended), you may run ControlBear.exe from the command prompt & follow the rest of the guide from there!

Sorry I didn't see this! Hope I can help you out now :)

I take it you're still stuck in a bootloop? The problem with being on 1.58.0000 is that no RUU exists for that version of your bootloader.

But, I do have some ideas on what may help you fix this problem:

If you are on Windows, download this file, and double-click it to open it. Merge the changes to your registry. This will add an entry to your elevated right-click menu, so that you may open a command window in a specific folder as an Administrator. This is important, please don't skip it.

• Extract the shooter-root-soff-fix file to your C:\ drive on windows, or to your home directory on Linux. Do not make a new folder, just extract. If you need a zip application, my preferred zip application on Windows is PeaZip. It is based on 7zip, and handles almost any archive you can imagine.
Windows: Press the WINDOWS KEY+R, and type
Code:
C:\shooter-root-soff-fix
  • Hold down the shift key on your keyboard, and right-click on the S-OFF folder, then select "Open command window here as Administrator" (it will have a shield icon next to it).
Now, issue the following commands, one after another:

• fastboot erase cache

• fastboot erase boot

• fastboot erase system -w

• fastboot erase userdata -w

• fastboot boot recovery.img
4EXT will give you some warning. Ignore it and press the check mark.

• From 4EXT, go to the wipe | format menu, and select format all partitions (except sdcard). Confirm your selection

• Download and install this ROM. You may connect your phone to the computer by choosing toggle usb storage. Once it's on your SD Card, you may choose install from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard to pick the ROM file.

• Once you've got it installed, go into the power menu and reboot. 4EXT will give you some other warning. Ignore it, it's normal.

Your phone should be working now - if you want S-OFF (highly recommended), you may run ControlBear.exe from the command prompt & follow the rest of the guide from there!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I just have a couple of questions-
I have twrp 2.4.4 (pretty sure that's the version) instead of 4ext, will I be able to do this?
Do I go into recovery and then select "fastboot" or "recovery"? Sorry for the questions, but I feel properly chastened after this fiasco and don't want to take any more chances . :)
Thanks so much for the help.

Extract the shooter-root-soff-fix file to your C:\ drive on windows, or to your home directory on Linux. Do not make a new folder, just extract. If you need a zip application, my preferred zip application on Windows is PeaZip. It is based on 7zip, and handles almost any archive you can imagine.

I already have 7zip, but downloaded peazip also. I click on the md5sum file and try to extract it to the C drive, but it doesn't work. I downloaded the file to my C drive and selected "extract here" in peazip. Nothing happens, so I know I goofed again. What exactly should be happening here? Nothing appears on my C drive. I hope I am explaining this clearly enough.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I just have a couple of questions-
I have twrp 2.4.4 (pretty sure that's the version) instead of 4ext, will I be able to do this?
Do I go into recovery and then select "fastboot" or "recovery"? Sorry for the questions, but I feel properly chastened after this fiasco and don't want to take any more chances . :)
Thanks so much for the help.
Since we'll be booting 4EXT in my instructions directly, it doesn't matter what recovery you currently have.

I already have 7zip, but downloaded peazip also. I click on the md5sum file and try to extract it to the C drive, but it doesn't work. I downloaded the file to my C drive and selected "extract here" in peazip. Nothing happens, so I know I goofed again. What exactly should be happening here? Nothing appears on my C drive. I hope I am explaining this clearly enough.
The md5sum file will not extract - it's just a text file that gives the md5sum (fingerprint) of the zip archive, which you should extract to the C:\ drive... 98% of the time you won't have a problem, but the md5sum is a way to account for a corrupt download the other 2% of the time. For now, don't worry about that... just extract the zip file & you'll be ready to proceed.

Well, here I am again :). I did open the file and change the registry, but now I can't get past the step to extract the md5sum file. If I use 7zip, I get a message that it can't be opened as archive. If I use peazip, I get a message asking me to provide the custom executable's name. The file is on my C drive, sitting there mocking me!This is probably so simple and I am having a brain meltdown, but I am stuck here. I think my technology is conspiring against me.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am sure that once I get past this bit, I will be ok (fingers crossed).

The md5sum file is not a zip file to be extracted. You need to extract the shooter-root-soff-fix-win.zip file to your C:\ drive. This should leave you with a new folder named shooter-root-soff-fix-win. Then continue with the guide. Hope this helps :-)
I do have the folder named shooter-root-soff-fix, but it is empty-should it be that way?
Also, at what point do I connect my phone to my computer? I must admit to being a visual learner, so reading directions takes a bit of doing for me.
I like pictures :). Should my phone show "fastboot usb" and have bootloader highlighted? I may not be doing this portion correctly, either.
I have attempted to open the command window, but it opens to any empty folder. I right click and it does open the command as administrator but when I type the first command I get this message"fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I really appreciate all of this help!!

I do have the folder named shooter-root-soff-fix, but it is empty-should it be that way?
Also, at what point do I connect my phone to my computer? I must admit to being a visual learner, so reading directions takes a bit of doing for me.
I like pictures :). Should my phone show "fastboot usb" and have bootloader highlighted? I may not be doing this portion correctly, either.
I have attempted to open the command window, but it opens to any empty folder. I right click and it does open the command as administrator but when I type the first command I get this message"fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I really appreciate all of this help!!
I just sent you a private message - if you'd like, I'd be happy to help you over the phone or with TeamViewer. TeamViewer allows someone access to your computer (with your permission). That way, I can see what you're seeing, and can show you what's what on your own computer - a nice visual example, if you will.

If you want to use TeamViewer, I'd need "Your ID" and "Password" from TeamViewer. Your password will change every time you start the program, so it's a one-time thing -- I wouldn't be able to get into your computer without you giving me access first.

It's up to you -- hope we can figure this out together!

No that folder should not be empty. It should contain all the files needed to do this. Maybe try to redownload the zip file and try extracting it again. Also your phone should be connected to the computer through the whole process. In the boot screen you should see Fastboot USB highlighted. Also make sure your bootloader says unlocked at the top.
Well, this could be my problem-my bootloader is locked again. I got to this point trying to follow the steps on page 1 of this thread and got hung up after locking the bootloader. The RUU didn't run properly and here I am :(.
I think I need to take a break, have some coffee and get some air. My only positive feeling is that because I can get into recovery, I can somehow salvage this phone. Thanks for the help; I'll be back here in a bit.

No that folder should not be empty. It should contain all the files needed to do this. Maybe try to redownload the zip file and try extracting it again. Also your phone should be connected to the computer through the whole process. In the boot screen you should see Fastboot USB highlighted. Also make sure your bootloader says unlocked at the top.
She's up & running again :)

androidfan2010, you're pretty much ready to do S-OFF if you want to... here's where you'd pick up on Step One once you're ready:

Your phone will need to be connected to the computer the whole time, with the back cover off.

From the command prompt on your computer (right click on the S-OFF folder and choose "Open command window here as administrator"):
[high]adb reboot bootloader[/high]

Your phone will reboot to the HBOOT. Once the HBOOT has come up, use the volume down key to highlight bootloader, then press the power button to confirm your selection. On the next screen, choose recovery to boot into 4EXT.

• We're about to do S-OFF, but we're going to back up the current setup first. This is the same procedure that you will want to do every time you install a new ROM. This way, if something goes wrong and your chosen ROM doesn't work, you can restore your backup and it will be like nothing happened.

• Inside of 4ext, press backup | restore, then choose Backup. Confirm that backup name, and let it do its magic. When it is done, go back to the main screen of 4ext and select power menu, then Reboot.

Now it's time to get S-OFF! Once your phone has finished booting back up:

In your computer's command prompt, type this in:
[high]ControlBear.exe[/high]

• Follow the instructions on screen. When it asks you to do the wire trick, using a metronome set to 48bpm works great (Windows). Hold the paperclip down in the outer hole when it says to do the wire trick, then "tap" the SD Card on one of the beats, lift during the pause, then press and hold on the next beat until the phone reboots. I usually "press and hold" for about 10-15 seconds.

A rubberized paperclip with the ends removed is your best bet for a well-controlled trick. If you don't have a rubberized paperclip, wrap a normal paperclip in electrical tape around the middle (where your fingers will be touching the metal).

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 980x715.
e0t81uv.jpg

This is where you want your paperclip to touch (it is the outer hole of the 2). This YouTube video is also helpful for about 45 seconds.

If it fails, don't panic. Simply re-run ControlBear until it works.

If your phone turns off and won't turn back on, don't panic. Pull the battery out, disconnect the USB cable from the phone, and wait about 15 seconds. Put the battery back in and reconnect the USB cable. Wait for the red light to come back on, and turn the phone back on. Run ControlBear.exe again.

Once the program completes, it will tell you that you were successful. Continue on to step two!

She's up & running again :)

androidfan2010, you're pretty much ready to do S-OFF if you want to... here's where you'd pick up on Step One once you're ready:

Your phone will need to be connected to the computer the whole time, with the back cover off.

From the command prompt on your computer (right click on the S-OFF folder and choose "Open command window here as administrator"):
[high]adb reboot bootloader[/high]Your phone will reboot to the HBOOT. Once the HBOOT has come up, use the volume down key to highlight bootloader, then press the power button to confirm your selection. On the next screen, choose recovery to boot into 4EXT.

• We're about to do S-OFF, but we're going to back up the current setup first. This is the same procedure that you will want to do every time you install a new ROM. This way, if something goes wrong and your chosen ROM doesn't work, you can restore your backup and it will be like nothing happened.

• Inside of 4ext, press backup | restore, then choose Backup. Confirm that backup name, and let it do its magic. When it is done, go back to the main screen of 4ext and select power menu, then Reboot.

Now it's time to get S-OFF! Once your phone has finished booting back up:

In your computer's command prompt, type this in:
[high]ControlBear.exe[/high]
  • Follow the instructions on screen. When it asks you to do the wire trick, using a metronome set to 48bpm works great (Windows). Hold the paperclip down in the outer hole when it says to do the wire trick, then "tap" the SD Card on one of the beats, lift during the pause, then press and hold on the next beat until the phone reboots. I usually "press and hold" for about 10-15 seconds.

A rubberized paperclip with the ends removed is your best bet for a well-controlled trick. If you don't have a rubberized paperclip, wrap a normal paperclip in electrical tape around the middle (where your fingers will be touching the metal).

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 980x715.
e0t81uv.jpg

This is where you want your paperclip to touch (it is the outer hole of the 2). This YouTube video is also helpful for about 45 seconds.

If it fails, don't panic. Simply re-run ControlBear until it works.

If your phone turns off and won't turn back on, don't panic. Pull the battery out, disconnect the USB cable from the phone, and wait about 15 seconds. Put the battery back in and reconnect the USB cable. Wait for the red light to come back on, and turn the phone back on. Run ControlBear.exe again.

Once the program completes, it will tell you that you were successful. Continue on to step two!

Thanks again for all of your help, remanifest!! Check your donations :).
I plan to get s-off and finish installing a custom rom later. Still need to find that paperclip!

Using "S-OFF, root & Fix Everything All-in-One" to attempt S-off.

When I run ControlBear.exe I obtain:

"ControlBear.exe
ControlBear 0.11 beta

Old beer detected...
Critical failure... Cannot find a seat!!
Press ENTER to exit....."

Suggestions on finding a newer version?

Tnx

Bob

"ControlBear.exe
ControlBear 0.11 beta

Old beer detected...

Tnx

Bob

That almost looks like its detecting an already s-off phone. o.O

"ControlBear.exe
ControlBear 0.11 beta

Old beer detected...

Tnx

Bob
Where did you obtain your S-OFF software?

No, it's still S-on. Bootloader displays:

***UNLOCKED***
SHOOTER XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.57.0000
eMMC-boot
Apr 20 2012, 17:39:22

Back
Top Bottom