• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

i tried to run controlbear i installed the drivers and uninstalled htc sync and followed all the steps coming from a freshly ruu'd phone and i keep getting a still sober error
my pc has win 7 64 bit

thanks!

acording to the unlimited.io website still sober is caused by screwing up the wire trick
but i want to make sure its not a problem with drivers or something of the sort

i tried to run controlbear i installed the drivers and uninstalled htc sync and followed all the steps coming from a freshly ruu'd phone and i keep getting a still sober error
my pc has win 7 64 bit

thanks!

acording to the unlimited.io website still sober is caused by screwing up the wire trick
but i want to make sure its not a problem with drivers or something of the sort

If you get to the point where its telling you to do the wire trick now, Its definitely not the drivers. You need to time your taps better. Remanifest suggests using a metronome set at 48bpm. If it still doesnt work, Try a different wire.

hello people, iam new too this HTC and android only phones ive owned were the virgin venture & kyocera rise , the Rise i still own but it doesnt look like there gonna get the bootloader unlocked anytime soon , not that iam giveing up , it just cant be my daily driver anymore so i bought the HTC evo 4 today at radio shack on sale for 129.99 this will be my first time doing all this & haveing the bootloader unlocked & putting a recovery on was wondering if i should post first & have someone redirect me too the right explainations on how too do this or a youtube demo on how too that is known too work again a noob with some exsperience with android but not alot , so please redirect me with the up to date proper way too get s-off & root with recovery , and vid & since this is a popular phone i just wanna make sure i do it right , thank you guys iam at stock unrooted phone is activated , and i have 32bit zorion os 6 and 32bit windows 7 set too dual boot at start too pick os of my choice to do this on & sorry for any repeats you may have too say or link me too but i figure getting the s-off and first recovery on first is important enough too ask , but have both Windows 7 & Zorion linux Ubuntu 12.04

the sale i got on the phone plus you get 10.00 in recipte radio shack gift cash too go back the next day for whatever you want extra for phone

5w9zx4.png

2ypanir.png

I edited my post above with the test helper. There was an error in step 14, But it is fixed now. Its now ready for anyone to test. :p

hello people, iam new too this HTC and android only phones ive owned were the virgin venture & kyocera rise , the Rise i still own but it doesnt look like there gonna get the bootloader unlocked anytime soon , not that iam giveing up , it just cant be my daily driver anymore so i bought the HTC evo 4 today at radio shack on sale for 129.99 this will be my first time doing all this & haveing the bootloader unlocked & putting a recovery on was wondering if i should post first & have someone redirect me too the right explainations on how too do this or a youtube demo on how too that is known too work again a noob with some exsperience with android but not alot , so please redirect me with the up to date proper way too get s-off & root with recovery , and vid & since this is a popular phone i just wanna make sure i do it right , thank you guys iam at stock unrooted phone is activated , and i have 32bit zorion os 6 and 32bit windows 7 set too dual boot at start too pick os of my choice to do this on & sorry for any repeats you may have too say or link me too but i figure getting the s-off and first recovery on first is important enough too ask , but have both Windows 7 & Zorion linux Ubuntu 12.04

the sale i got on the phone plus you get 10.00 in recipte radio shack gift cash too go back the next day for whatever you want extra for phone
Just follow this guide... use the Linux package or the Windows package, whatever operating system you're using. I've done most of my S-OFFs in Linux, but it works fine in Windows. gothicnerd1033 has an automated package linked just above your post for Windows - give it a shot!

I'm going S-ON again, going to test gothicnerd1033's script for myself, then hopefully include it in the official download with his permission - this will make things much easier on you all!
On a related subject, what happened with unknownforce's Ultimate Recovery Tool (URT) S-OFF method? I haven't seen any updates on XDA for a while.

ramjet73

On a related subject, what happened with unknownforce's Ultimate Recovery Tool (URT) S-OFF method? I haven't seen any updates on XDA for a while.

ramjet73
I'm not sure - I posted up the partition image he asked for, and then told him I was looking forward to his reply... I suppose he's still working on it? I don't imagine it's easy to change the CID while S-ON - I seem to recall people saying it's "impossible", but I've learned that the (im)possibility of any action is relative.

I'm not sure - I posted up the partition image he asked for, and then told him I was looking forward to his reply... I suppose he's still working on it? I don't imagine it's easy to change the CID while S-ON - I seem to recall people saying it's "impossible", but I've learned that the (im)possibility of any action is relative.
I have to admit that I'm still a little skeptical myself. The thing that makes it work for the Evo 3D is an older GB RUU that works with the Revolutionary method for S-OFF but an equivalent RUU doesn't exist for the Evo V.

Unless/until unknownforce figures out a way to get that RUU flashed to an S-ON Evo V with a different CID I'm still considering the wire trick as the only viable method for S-OFF on the Virgin Mobile model.

ramjet73

I have to admit that I'm still a little skeptical myself. The thing that makes it work for the Evo 3D is an older GB RUU that works with the Revolutionary method for S-OFF but an equivalent RUU doesn't exist for the Evo V.

Unless/until unknownforce figures out a way to get that RUU flashed to an S-ON Evo V with a different CID I'm still considering the wire trick as the only viable method for S-OFF on the Virgin Mobile model.

ramjet73
Same here - if he makes progress on the CID change + downgrade, I'll try it out for him, but I'm not overly optimistic about it. He should be able to test it by going S-ON and then trying to change his own CID to the SuperCID (11111111) during the downgrade.

If he's successful, I'll likely recommend the revolutionary method to everyone instead of this, but we'll see what happens...

I don't know what partition 4 holds or how to evaluate those .img dumps, otherwise I'd offer to help him look through the code. Then again, I suppose he'd prefer to do it on his own & save me for testing.

For anyone wanting to use gothicnerd1033's script in conjunction with this guide, please hold off... I hit a few snags along the way, and while I've fixed them in my copy of his script, I want to run the changes by him, since I didn't create the script. Please just be patient if you're waiting on this, and I'm sure it'll be posted again soon.

k ill try , do I need to register at htc dev site using this script? ive downloaded it , & do I download the usb drivers for the phone anywhere special too make sure this script works sometimes I see people alter and make there very own drivers, ill eventually read this entire thread I haven't yet so iam sure these are stupied questions , thank you all anyways , will wait for u guys reply & watch full metal alchemist :o) & probably finish this all up 2morrow & come back and re read everything too catch up , & let you all know after I try script if it worked , & then apply appropriate thanks with each & every one of you :o) Love these android phones , getting up there in age & virgin mobile is primarly for young adults & teens and this is me learning new stuff when I have exspeirance with mainly just windows but some Linux not a lot , plus I build & repair computers I just haven't gotton into the whole windows 8 yet

ill come back 2morrow cause its 3:40am here reread everyones post and then start
I do have the backup rise I could connect too wifi & use textplus or another free texting app too give out if someone would be willing to do that while I work on the htc id feel more ballzy lol ,

Full Metal !!!

only adding this link for the guy using windows xp cause this makes transferring slowly over too Linux soo much easier if ur windows xp sp3 wont work , u can set this for dual boot or live dvd its already got terminal and everything bundeled with it like vid players browsers and screen shot capabilities wine and the Ubuntu software store, u could also make a bootable usb if ur bios allows it without ever installing it run the os off a usb flash drive
http://zorin-os.com/free.html

Do not use the script (see the post above yours).

Simply follow the instructions on the original post of this thread. Everything you need is included.

Uh oh... Whatd I do wrong now :p

If you want, send me a PM with the changes or you can send me your copy of the script and Ill try to see where I messed up

Just incase anyone is curious, My S-Off helper was fixed, And works great. It will be included in the S-Off package very shortly. :D

gothicnerd1033's script has been officially added. Donate links for his work have also been added to this thread.

If you're working through either his script or this guide, and something doesn't make sense, please STOP where you are and report it here! This way, we can improve it for the next person to use this guide or the script!

Hello guys, I decided to give this guide a try last night and everything went smoothly and i have tried out several different roms and have settled on the unsenseable rom. this is my first time attempting to mod this phone and the only experience i have was installing a rom on my old optimus v and i would like to thank the OP for this guide.

Hello guys, I decided to give this guide a try last night and everything went smoothly and i have tried out several different roms and have settled on the unsenseable rom. this is my first time attempting to mod this phone and the only experience i have was installing a rom on my old optimus v and i would like to thank the OP for this guide.

Glad it went well for you! You're welcome!

Sorry if this issue has already come up in the thread, I looked through about 6 pages and didn't see any answers so I just skipped...

So, I struggled through the guide and finally got everything done! Then I went into 4ext to reboot and it said something about it being in safe mode, which I figure now I probably should have said override and reboot anyway... but instead I wiped cache and partitions (except SD card) and rebooted recovery like it told me to do. I then went to reboot my phone and now it's been on the white HTC screen for about 30 minutes and I'm not sure what to do. :( I'm afraid to touch it because I had an awful time getting everything done and I'm not terribly tech saavy.

Sorry if this issue has already come up in the thread, I looked through about 6 pages and didn't see any answers so I just skipped...

So, I struggled through the guide and finally got everything done! Then I went into 4ext to reboot and it said something about it being in safe mode, which I figure now I probably should have said override and reboot anyway... but instead I wiped cache and partitions (except SD card) and rebooted recovery like it told me to do. I then went to reboot my phone and now it's been on the white HTC screen for about 30 minutes and I'm not sure what to do. :( I'm afraid to touch it because I had an awful time getting everything done and I'm not terribly tech saavy.

You ended up wiping your rom when you wiped all partitions.

you need to flash a new one or restore a backup.

Back
Top Bottom