• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

Okay, Here is a trick I learned how to get out of most bootloops:

1.) what ROM are you using? If your using something other than stock, Extract the ROM zip on your PC to a new folder.

2.) copy boot.img inside the ROM folder TO your folder whereever fastboot is located.

3.)HOLD shift and right click inside the folder somewhere away from its contents, And open a new command prompt.

4.)Connect your phone and go into the bootloader, Making sure fastboot USB is on.

5.) Issue the following command in the command prompt:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

6.) Let it do its thing. Once it is finished, Issue this command:
Code:
fastboot reboot

You *should* be out of the bootloop. It may take up to 5 minutes for your ROM to start up, So be patient. If its longer than 10 minutes, Report back here.

I am using the Harmonia ROM, is this okay as far as stock goes?

Yes. Harmonia is basically a stock ROM, But it isnt. Its got the same look and feel as a stock ROM, but its considered a custom ROM.

Extract the harmonia zip somewhere and pull the boot.img from that, And flash it with the commands above.

Hurray! It worked! Thank you so much. Is there anything I need to now after all this or am I good to go and flash ROMs and the like?

Your all set now.

Your all set to flash any ROM for this phone. just make sure you wipe all partitions (except SD card) before flashing new ROMs! You can now flash different radios, And change your HTC splash screen if you wanted!

I am so excited! I just upgraded from an LG Optimus Slider like two days ago so I'm excited to be able to really use my phone now. I appreciate all your help. Thank you again!

Edit: And thank you remanifest for your great tutorial!

ive got s-off & 4ext recovery on my phone , whats control bear with the wiretrick gonna do it says s-off but I am s off just figured id ask & thank you all for getting me this far

thank u too gothicnerd
Its the next step it wants me too perform

ive got s-off & 4ext recovery on my phone , whats control bear with the wiretrick gonna do it says s-off but I am s off just figured id ask & thank you all for getting me this far

thank u too gothicnerd
It's really difficult to follow your post with minimal punctuation, but...

If you're S-OFF, there is no purpose to attempting S-OFF again.

If you're S-OFF, go to step two and do the firmware update.

i went ahead with doing it all the way through , even with the wire trick & ended up in a bootloop , couldn't restore my backups it still bootlooped but I went ahead downloaded harmonia because I couldn't get the sdcard too mount in recovery to the computer for some reason but I had a spare sdcard ,formatted it with my Kyocera rise , then plugged that into my computer transferred the harmonia zip too the sdcard , put that sdcard in my htc and flashed that rom Works perfect now was a lil scared there at first but thank you all , & ill get a auto correct in my google chrome browser app cause spelling is not my best & neither is my talking English , just moved all over & computers and electronics I was always good with & school smarts I sucked at but don't wanna confuse anyone with my mis pronounce & the way I talk in my type so hopefully a auto correct will help
I will donate too both , remanifest & gothic for there hard work , don't like using a real visa card anymore so I hope a prepaid visa that can be bought at 711 or cvs will work thank you guys and transferred too ur donate spots

Thanks for the update Kritter888 - I was just trying to make sure I could understand where you were coming from; I wasn't trying to be rude.

If you are having trouble with the original SD Card, you can try this...

Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled on your phone and that it is booted up into the ROM with your old SD Card in the phone, then:

• From your S-OFF folder on the computer, open the command prompt (right-click, shield icon), then type in these commands:
Code:
adb push sdcard.img /data/local/tmp/
Code:
adb shell
Code:
su
  • Check for the # symbol in your command prompt - this lets you know that you have root access on the phone.
Code:
busybox dd if=/data/local/tmp/sdcard.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1 conv=notrunc
Code:
adb reboot
Hopefully now your data is back on the SD Card :)

EDIT: Can you please type the info from your HBOOT screen in this thread?

From your ROM you can get there with adb reboot bootloader or just choose "reboot" then "bootloader" from the power menu.

Hey remanifest heres a couple screenshots was hard too take with my home cam too show u the info u requested, also the htc evo v is still on sale till 4/20/2013 for 129.99 plus tax & 10.00 off in gift cash recipte for your next purchase at radio shack.

i made a few backups and was wondering can supersu be replaced with superuser? we all have our prefrences but some apps hate supersu & i know they dont play nice together , was busy most of the day so sorry for the delayed reply

2mmiahe.jpg

2rr58pj.png

24neepz.jpg

30uzrlt.png

Hey remanifest heres a couple screenshots was hard too take with my home cam too show u the info u requested, also the htc evo v is still on sale till 4/20/2013 for 129.99 plus tax & 10.00 off in gift cash recipte for your next purchase at radio shack.

i made a few backups and was wondering can supersu be replaced with superuser? we all have our prefrences but some apps hate supersu & i know they dont play nice together , was busy most of the day so sorry for the delayed reply
Thanks for the info! That's a nice sale they've got going on the phone again. I wonder if any are in stock, though? It looks like Virgin Mobile has them in stock again as well.

Following the link Brian706 gave above tells me that you can replace it if you'd like. Some ROMs (Negalite Blu for example) let you pick which superuser app you want during the install. I'm using Dirty Unicorns right now, and it's got a nice superuser app as well... not sure which one it uses, though.

i know best buy & walmart and target does pricematiching , and if u have choice it should be bestbuy plus buy atleast 1 year extended geeksquad protection because theyeve replaced a few Kyocera rises for me & had no issues with a rooted bricked phone with there extended warrenty , Radio shack i asked the guy before i even bought it what there deal was on rooted phones and he told me right off that they will not take it back even though they offer a 30 day return policy plus lifetime of the phone tech support on the phone i believe is there tech support , so thats why i was asking & thankful this all worked out , & Radio shack guy wanted too activate it or transfer ur old phone account to the new phone & said they do that too verify everything works so that u cant say that it didnt work at the time of purchase,

i will say that if you use the script its more of a guide and step by step in my opion by gothicnerd for windows because when u reboot the phone sevral times it can error out the usb htc drivers when the phone boots back up , but his script works very well just read & follow the steps & have some common sence if a issue arrises cause he makes it where u can stop the script and continue to a diffrent step if u have a issue , my issue was with windows that when the phone would reboot the htc drivers sometimes wouldnt reintialize correctly and id have too use her script to install the htc drivers again & then continue just takes some common sence very very well setup and easily set up though so very greatul!

but ya if whoever goes to radio shack too buy one doesnt have the phone just pickup a flyer & bring it too one of the other stores with price matching

it may even be possiable which i didnt think of too buy geeksquad protection for a item not bought at bestbuy they do offer other services there just dunno the cost of the extended warrent if they did allow it would probably cost more then if u did buy it from bestbuy

i will say that if you use the script its more of a guide and step by step in my opion by gothicnerd for windows because when u reboot the phone sevral times it can error out the usb htc drivers when the phone boots back up , but his script works very well just read & follow the steps & have some common sence if a issue arrises cause he makes it where u can stop the script and continue to a diffrent step if u have a issue , my issue was with windows that when the phone would reboot the htc drivers sometimes wouldnt reintialize correctly and id have too use her script to install the htc drivers again & then continue just takes some common sence very very well setup and easily set up though so very greatul!

Thats weird. Ive never seen that issue before.

that's what i went through just what happened with me when the phone would reboot if the script called for a reboot , i could hear the tone windows makes when usb disconnects/reconnectes with phone at start of the phone and it would relook for the htc drivers at the bottom of my screen & wouldnt reintiate my phone so id just give it a short bit , & then id remember the step i was at & when your script ask too continue id say no and it would let me go back to the main setup of the script & id just hit 1 again too reinstall the htc drivers & select repair thats the only issue i had then id stop the script from 2 and go back too where i orginally had left off

That's just with my computer though & it could just be my USB ports but if anyone else has that issue its simple to continue even if there was a issue somebody was having your script made it where it can go back a step & then continue where you left off

First of all Thanks you! Thank You! Having all of this information in one place is very nice. I had already rooted and ROM'd one phone when I had a hardware issue with the touchscreen. I received a replacement phone from VM and activated it today. I was then able to follow your guide to get it set up the way my old phone was.

One tip that I didn't see and caused me a problem at the start, was to tell people to go into settings and developer options and check USB debugging. You don't do that until later, but you need it earlier in order to use adb commands. I knew this at one time but it had been nearly a year since I had last done it.

Also, you suggest taking the back cover off before you start so that you will be able to do the wire trick, but there are several occasions where you need to press the volume keys or the power button and it is impossible on my phone without the back cover.

PS Thanks for the link to the metronome app, the wire trick worked first time after I got that app running. :D

First of all Thanks you! Thank You! Having all of this information in one place is very nice. I had already rooted and ROM'd one phone when I had a hardware issue with the touchscreen. I received a replacement phone from VM and activated it today. I was then able to follow your guide to get it set up the way my old phone was.

One tip that I didn't see and caused me a problem at the start, was to tell people to go into settings and developer options and check USB debugging. You don't do that until later, but you need it earlier in order to use adb commands. I knew this at one time but it had been nearly a year since I had last done it.

Also, you suggest taking the back cover off before you start so that you will be able to do the wire trick, but there are several occasions where you need to press the volume keys or the power button and it is impossible on my phone without the back cover.

PS Thanks for the link to the metronome app, the wire trick worked first time after I got that app running. :D
You're welcome! Thank you for your suggestions - I'm going to fix the guide with your suggestions now.

Not sure, but how about wrapping part of the paperclip in a rubber band, or putting the paperclip in a stirrer straw.

What kind of wire can I use I don't have a rubberized paperclip and I don't have electrical tape.
Speaker wire, the wire from inside an old ethernet cable, any conductor will work. It works best if it's a single strand wire (like a paperclip or speaker wire). Whatever wire you use, it needs to be insulated somehow so that you don't short circuit the charge by passing electricity through your body.

Back
Top Bottom