• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

I'm following remanifest's "S-OFF, root & Fix Everything All-In-One!" guide.

The S-off software came from the distribution found in this instruction:
Step One - S-OFF:
1) Remove the back cover from your phone...
Download the appropriate file for your computer: (Windows/md5sum)

Note, months ago, I had gone through the HTCDEV site to unlock the bootloader. I did NOT regenerate code, receive a new Unlock_Code.bin. I used the file that was generated last year. Re-applying that file went fine, and, the first line in bootloader is "*** UNLOCKED ***" so presumably that is not an issue.

The bootloader...
HBOOT-1.57.0000

says: FASTBOOT USB

below that BOOTLOADER is highlighted
The instructions tell you to wait for the phone to reboot, which is implying that you should be in the ROM when you run ControlBear.exe.

Copied directly from the instructions:
Inside of 4ext, press backup | restore, then choose Backup. Confirm that backup name, and let it do its magic. When it is done, go back to the main screen of 4ext and select power menu, then Reboot.

8) Now it's time to get S-OFF! Once your phone has finished booting back up:

When you select Reboot in 4EXT, your ROM will boot up. When it says "Once your phone has finished booting back up", it means to be in the ROM before you issue the command. Please pay careful attention to the instructions and follow them as they're written. They're not designed to work any other way.

The instructions tell you to wait for the phone to reboot, which is implying that you should be in the ROM when you run ControlBear.exe.

Copied directly from the instructions:

When you select Reboot in 4EXT, your ROM will boot up. When it says "Once your phone has finished booting back up", it means to be in the ROM before you issue the command. Please pay careful attention to the instructions and follow them as they're written. They're not designed to work any other way.

Which resulted in:

C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>ControlBear.exe

========= ControlBear 0.11 beta for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
(c) Copyright 2012 Unlimited.IO
If you have acquired this software from anywhere
other than our website this version may be out of
date and unsupported. Please see our website for
instructions on how to use this tool and for support.
This program may not be redistributed or included in other
works without the express permission of Team Unlimited.

Unlimited.IO | team@unlimited.io

Old beer detected...... Please wait......
Critical failure.... Cannot find a seat!!
Press ENTER to exit.....

Sorry. I'm not trying to be difficult.

Please attempt the following from your command prompt:

Code:
adb kill-server
Code:
adb start-server
Code:
ControlBear.exe

Additional information regarding a previous step:

I was pleased to see your guide directs one to install 4ext recovery, as I've been using this for some time. Following the flashing of it, however, when it initialized, it presented the message (paraphrased): "4ext is not configured. Go to ... website and download ... to configure it...." -- which I did not do, because I was in the middle of working through your primer. I did go through 4ext settings and settings seemed appropriate, so I did not concern myself about it. Furthermore, the system backup performed via 4ext went smoothly.

I doubt this is a factor in my inability to successfully run ControlBear - but I thought it wouldn't hurt to report it. And it is a message I don't ever recall seeing when installing 4ext, which I think I've done now on four different handsets.

That message is normal when you install 4EXT that way. It's just letting you know that it hasn't been run before (because it's a new setup), and that you didn't install it from their control app - no worries there :)

Please let me know if the above resolves your problem.

Please attempt the following from your command prompt:

Code:
adb kill-server
Code:
adb start-server
Code:
ControlBear.exe

ok....

c:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>adb kill-server

c:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>adb start-server
*daemon not running. starting it now *
*daemon started successfully *

c:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>ControlBear.exe

Press ENTER to exit.....

C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>ControlBear.exe

Press ENTER to exit.....

I think I will reboot both the computer and the handset and try this again.

That error is supposedly caused by too many copies of adb running in the background, so yeah, try rebooting the computer and try again... it's weird that it's still giving you that issue.

Well nuts...

Rebooted computer
Rebooted handset into ROM.
Made certain USB debug enabled
Made certain Power/Fastbood disabled
Obtained cmd window at c:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>. . . .

c:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>adb kill-server

c:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>adb start-server
*daemon not running. starting it now *
*daemon started successfully *

c:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>ControlBear.exe

Press ENTER to exit.....

Frustraiting, huh...

Could there be any issue, whatsoever, resulting from the SD card?

For this S-off project, I pulled the handset's 32gb memory which included system and data and everything that accumulates from installing lots of apps over time.

I installed an 8gb microSD card laying around, after formatting majority of it FAT32 and I think a 1gb Ext3 partition and a 300mb Linux swapfile (via Mini Tool Partition Wizard). Put it in the handset, did a factory reset, and the handset repopulated the 8gb card with whatever files it seemed to need - and didn't complain about the different microSD card.

Again, I'm just trying to recall any variable with this project that might have been non-standard to start with.

Oh! You know what. This computer is WinXP/SP3.
-- Which reminded me, I had trouble with your distribution's batchfile to install just the USB drivers. I wonder if the 32-bit drivers assumed Win7 or Win8?

Before attempting the install of the USB drivers in your distribution, I:

uninstalled old/existing HTC USB drivers. Rebooted and ran a registry cleaner.

Followed your primer's steps to run batchfile to install the drivers in your distribution. Batchfile failed. "htcrndis.inf is an unknown command or file," etc.

Installed latest version of HTC Sync: htc-sync_setup_3.3.21 -- just the drivers; quit installation before Sync application installed.

Verified I had USB connectivity to handset:
- adb command-line cmds worked
- ROM recognized attachment of USB cable, offered "charge only/HTC Sync/disk" and I could access SD card, etc. I've never really had any connectivity issues between this computer and any HTC handsets via USB.

the .bat installer currently doesnt support XP at the moment. I am working on a fix for that. :p

I am the original creator of the htc driver installer.zip file.

Oh! You know what. This computer is WinXP/SP3.
-- Which reminded me, I had trouble with your distribution's batchfile to install just the USB drivers. I wonder if the 32-bit drivers assumed Win7 or Win8?

Before attempting the install of the USB drivers in your distribution, I:

uninstalled old/existing HTC USB drivers. Rebooted and ran a registry cleaner.

Followed your primer's steps to run batchfile to install the drivers in your distribution. Batchfile failed. "htcrndis.inf is an unknown command or file," etc.

Installed latest version of HTC Sync: htc-sync_setup_3.3.21 -- just the drivers; quit installation before Sync application installed.

Verified I had USB connectivity to handset:
- adb command-line cmds worked
- ROM recognized attachment of USB cable, offered "charge only/HTC Sync/disk" and I could access SD card, etc. I've never really had any connectivity issues between this computer and any HTC handsets via USB.
Please completely uninstall HTC Sync and install these drivers. If you have introduced any other variables into this process, please let me know... I can't help if I don't know what the problem is.

Well, My desktop basically got struck by lightning... Its having all kinds of weird errors and wont boot past the bios screen, So This might be a little longer than expected. I have to find a sata adapter for 3.5inch drives to extract my program I was making, So I can finish it on the laptop. I may try a linux live cd, But Im not sure if itl work. I really dont want to start all over. D=<

Anyway, I already have a replacement in mind. :D

Gigabyte AM3+ 760G USB3.0 MoBo, AMD FX-6100 3.30 GHz AM3+ Unlocked CPU, XFX Radeon HD 6570 1GB GDDR3 Video Card, ADATA 4GB DDR3 Desktop MemorY, Thermaltake TR2 500W PSU, & Ultra Gladiator Case Bundle at TigerDirect.com

Certainly beats my old 1.8ghz dual core with 2gb ram. LOL

Hello again,
Long week at work, back now trying to achieve S-Off.
Uninstalled HTC USB drivers. Attempted to access "these drivers." When I click the download button, Norton security warns me fs1.d-h.st is a malicious page.

Back
Top Bottom