• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

Is Dumlock on in TWRP? If so, you may turn that off now and try again. You'll have to format all your partitions except the SD Card, then try again... but, I can't answer the md5sum problem. Try to download the ROM again, especially if you've transferred it on & off of your SD Card. It may have become corrupted.

4EXT is recommended, simply because more people use it & it's easier to identify any problems with things like this. 4EXT is included in the main download for this guide - again, if you install this recovery, format all the partitions except the SD Card and try to install again.

Is Dumlock on in TWRP? If so, you may turn that off now and try again. You'll have to format all your partitions except the SD Card, then try again... but, I can't answer the md5sum problem. Try to download the ROM again, especially if you've transferred it on & off of your SD Card. It may have become corrupted.

4EXT is recommended, simply because more people use it & it's easier to identify any problems with things like this. 4EXT is included in the main download for this guide - again, if you install this recovery, format all the partitions except the SD Card and try to install again.

Well, thats something I haven't tried. Dumlock isn't on but what the heck, should I turn it on?

1.57.5757 and radio is 1.09.00.0108

That hboot should be fine for harmonia but what gets me is you are on the latest radio from the March ota but not the latest 1.58 hboot.

Okay I think I understand why. You took the March ota and then got s-off i assume? Still, then wondering how you ended up on jpbear 1.57 instead of 1.50.5050? Where did you get your s-off software?

Edit: nvm. You ninja'd me.

I'd try this:

Repeat step two of this guide (flashing the "fix everything" zip file, basically). This will change your HBOOT back to 1.50.5050. Harmonia and almost everything except stock ROMs will work on this HBOOT.

Reinstall 4EXT: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img - follow the steps outlined a couple posts above

Re-download Harmonia (or whatever other ROM you want to try), as it seems your copy was corrupted somehow.

That hboot should be fine for harmonia but what gets me is you are on the latest radio from the March ota but not the latest 1.58 hboot.

Okay I think I understand why. You took the March ota and then got s-off i assume? Still, then wondering how you ended up on jpbear 1.57 instead of 1.50.5050? Where did you get your s-off software?

There is 2 posts at the bottom of the guide for hboots and radios. Funny thing, before the s-off, my phone was on hboot 1.58.5858 which is a sprint only hboot and I have Virgin mobile. I wish I could get that hboot again. I had no problems with it but when I tried to flash it, it said wrong cid so, im stuck with this one.

I'd try this:

Repeat step two of this guide (flashing the "fix everything" zip file, basically). This will change your HBOOT back to 1.50.5050. Harmonia and almost everything except stock ROMs will work on this HBOOT.

Reinstall 4EXT: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img - follow the steps outlined a couple posts above

Re-download Harmonia (or whatever other ROM you want to try), as it seems your copy was corrupted somehow.

I downloaded this thing like 8 times now. My desktop is full of this zip lol. I'll try it though

If you had 1.58.5858, you didn't get it from following this guide... not sure what went wrong or where, to be honest... it's up to you if you want to install the recovery & HBOOT, but that's my advice.

Let us know how it goes, good luck!

One other thing to try is to run the RUU from the preliminary steps (since you're S-OFF you can skip everything except the actual RUU part - i.e. no need to lock the bootloader or flash setmainversionlow). This will return you to 100% stock, except you'll still be S-OFF.

After this, you can unlock your bootloader again: fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin and then repeat step two and step three of this guide.

Also, delete all those redundant copies of Harmonia - they're not doing you any good.

One other thing to try is to run the RUU from the preliminary steps (since you're S-OFF you can skip everything except the actual RUU part - i.e. no need to lock the bootloader or flash setmainversionlow). This will return you to 100% stock, except you'll still be S-OFF.

After this, you can unlock your bootloader again: fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin and then repeat step two and step three of this guide.

Also, delete all those redundant copies of Harmonia - they're not doing you any good.

I was thinking that lol. I have tried to run a RUU before. I'm hoping this one works. It usually says customer ID error

If you have any problems with the RUU, you may use this version instead. Rename it to PG86IMG.zip & put it on the root of your SD Card. Reboot into the bootloader, and follow the prompts. It will reboot once (maybe more) during the process. Do not interrupt it. Once your phone reboots into the ROM successfully, delete the PG86IMG.zip file from your SD Card immediately.

If you have any problems with the RUU, you may use this version instead. Rename it to PG86IMG.zip & put it on the root of your SD Card. Reboot into the bootloader, and follow the prompts. It will reboot once (maybe more) during the process. Do not interrupt it. Once your phone reboots into the ROM successfully, delete the PG86IMG.zip file from your SD Card immediately.

Should I lock the bootloader doing it this way?

I'm glad you were successful man :)

The nice thing about having S-OFF is that you can fix stuff whenever it goes wrong, without too much hassle... my advice is to make a nandroid backup (backup from recovery) of your good configuration once it's set up.

Once you've got that, you can safely play with your phone as much as you want/flash whatever ROMs you want for the EVO V 4G or EVO 3D CDMA. If something goes wrong, you have your good configuration to fall back on. For me, Harmonia is where I go for a safe ROM... super stable, and I can access stock features like "update profile" from there, which is useful if you change your radio.

It's just good practice to keep nandroid backups. What I do is I make one every week or so even if I don't change ROMs. If I do change ROMs, I make a nandroid of my "stable" ROM right before, just in case something goes wrong or I don't like the change. I then move these backups onto my computer until I need them... then I copy them back to my SD Card. The backups are inside of a folder called "clockworkmod" on your SD Card, in case you were wondering.

If you get stuck at any point, please ask here or make your own thread, and someone will help you! The community for this phone is awesome - you won't be stuck!

Thank you for this guide. I got s-off and am now on "step two - fix everything". I did the "fastboot flash zip shooter....zip" and it failed. I tried it again, and the command prompt indicates that it worked successfully, however, my phone seems to be stuck. It's just showing "htc" in white letters with a green progress bar underneath. The progress bar is at about 90% or so but seems to be stuck now. Suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind. My reading comp sucks and I was trying to reboot using adb instead of fastboot.

Thank you for this guide. I got s-off and am now on "step two - fix everything". I did the "fastboot flash zip shooter....zip" and it failed. I tried it again, and the command prompt indicates that it worked successfully, however, my phone seems to be stuck. It's just showing "htc" in white letters with a green progress bar underneath. The progress bar is at about 90% or so but seems to be stuck now. Suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind. My reading comp sucks and I was trying to reboot using adb instead of fastboot.
Glad you got it! Yeah, it's known to fail on the first try sometimes, and also to not push the bootloader properly sometimes on the first try... I can't figure out why it works on the first try for some people but not others, but the workaround is to give it another shot. Any time you're not booted into the phone or into your recovery, your commands will be fastboot commands. adb works in the ROM and in recovery (can also work during boot, before the full ROM image is loaded, but for all intents and purposes...)

Anyway, glad you were successful!!

If i s-off can i turn it back on if i need to send it in for what ever reason? i want to fully root an s off but i still want my warranty. i know i can un-root but can i go from s-off to s-on?

virgin moble htc evo v 4g stock HBOOT-1.57.0000
What is the best guide to use for the phone above???

If i s-off can i turn it back on if i need to send it in for what ever reason? i want to fully root an s off but i still want my warranty. i know i can un-root but can i go from s-off to s-on?

The answer to your question is yes.

The best guide? Subjective, obviously, but I think this guide is pretty good. Then again, I am biased.

Yes, You can always go back to s-on if you need to.

Just noticed your firmware zip file for step 2 is named shooter_ota_1.14.652.5_1.50.5050jb.zip. Shouldn't it be shooter_ota_2.95.652.5_1.50.5050jb.zip if it includes the updates from the March OTA?

And it would be nice to have that file posted by itself as a PG86IMG.zip file somewhere so S-OFF users that want to flash the RUU and then update to the current firmware don't have download all the other stuff for this guide and then extract that file.

ramjet73

Back
Top Bottom