• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

Ok I've had my phone running a rooted version of stock and have just now started to go through the prosses of updating to the 2.95 march OTA update. The thing im having is I don't want S-off, I just want a rooted stock OS with the latest updates. what instructions do I follow? If I run the RUU and install all the updates how do I go about rooting my phone from there?

Can I run this guide again being s-off and everything that I got from originally doing this guide? I am trying to fix my data loss issues. I have tried other avenues, but nothing had seemed to work and was recommended to try the ruu again. Thanks in advance.

Can I run this guide again being s-off and everything that I got from originally doing this guide? I am trying to fix my data loss issues. I have tried other avenues, but nothing had seemed to work and was recommended to try the ruu again. Thanks in advance.
Yes you can - just skip step one, since you don't need to do S-OFF again. After you run the RUU, make sure that everything works properly. Once you've done that, format everything (except sd card) and then install Harmonia and verify everything works again...

After that, go ahead and run step two of this guide from HBOOT. Boot up Harmonia and make sure it's working properly one more time, and then feel free to wipe everything and install whatever ROM you want (other than stock).

Ok I've had my phone running a rooted version of stock and have just now started to go through the prosses of updating to the 2.95 march OTA update. The thing im having is I don't want S-off, I just want a rooted stock OS with the latest updates. what instructions do I follow? If I run the RUU and install all the updates how do I go about rooting my phone from there?
If you want the OTA updates without doing S-OFF, just go into Settings>System Update>HTC Software Update and accept the update. You don't need to do anything from this guide if you don't want to. You should still have root, but if you don't, you can just flash a superuser zip file - if you need a link, I can find one for you.

If you want the OTA updates without doing S-OFF, just go into Settings>System Update>HTC Software Update and accept the update. You don't need to do anything from this guide if you don't want to. You should still have root, but if you don't, you can just flash a superuser zip file - if you need a link, I can find one for you.
Yeah when the update first came out I did that but on restart it loaded up recovery giving me an error saying the update zip was not found. Anyway I've done the RUU and have my phone updated so I'll just flash superuser. If you have an link I'd appreciate it thank you.

Yes you can - just skip step one, since you don't need to do S-OFF again. After you run the RUU, make sure that everything works properly. Once you've done that, format everything (except sd card) and then install Harmonia and verify everything works again...

After that, go ahead and run step two of this guide from HBOOT. Boot up Harmonia and make sure it's working properly one more time, and then feel free to wipe everything and install whatever ROM you want (other than stock).

Thank you, got the RUU going good, still didnt get my data working but I did get stock and will follow up with VM later today i guess. Fun times... LOL:D

Well, got my data back and ran this guide again to get back where I was. Worked great (again). So technically, I would say two for two on this guide. :).

Windows 7 (64) .

Waiting for device to settle... Please wait...
Getting into bar.....
Raising Glass
SUCCESS - Taking a sip.
SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
SUCCESS - Buddies and Beer
Checking alcohol level......
Seems to be just right.....
Let's take one more......
Aaaah, nice sunny day!!
Rebooting.......
=== Waiting for device....
(4/45)
Fastboot detected
Beer is tasty, lets take another!!
Please wait....

Found device...
Beer......more beer......more beer...
Rebooting RUU mode.......
(3/45)
Fastboot detected
JuopunutBear S-OFF success
Installing JuopunutBear hboot.....
Waiting.....
Flashing.......
Rebooting......
JuopunutBear hboot installed
Press ENTER to exit.....

Getting a replacement so I wanted to practice this, I originally did my phone last June. Excellent guide Remanifest and it's probably been 25 years since i last wrote a batch file, great work with that gothicnerd, its so awesome to have such giving and helpful people such as yourselves in this forum. Thanx,
OB

Getting into bar.....
Raising Glass
SUCCESS - Taking a sip.
SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
SUCCESS - Buddies and Beer
Checking alcohol level......
Seems to be just right.....
Let's take one more......
Aaaah, nice sunny day!!
Rebooting.......
(4/45)
Fastboot detected
Beer is tasty, lets take another!!
Please wait....

Found device...
Beer......more beer......more beer...
Rebooting RUU mode.......
(3/45)
Fastboot detected
JuopunutBear S-OFF success
Installing JuopunutBear hboot.....
Waiting.....
Flashing.......
Rebooting......
JuopunutBear hboot installed
Press ENTER to exit.....

Congrats!

Hello, remanifest,

Thanks for your excellent guide, which I followed carefully without skipping any step (s-off, latest OAT updates, and Harmonia ROM) for my first smart phone, Virgin Mobile EVO V 4G.

Data-wise, 4G works where it is available but 2G/3G does not. As a result, an error code 67 message pops up if the phone detects no data connections.

I contacted VM via e-Mail. She acknowledged a possible cause of cell site upgrade in my area and wanted me to perform an HTC Software Update, which I tried but failed. I gathered it may have been a result of a rooted phone.

My questions are:

1. Do I really need the HTC update now that I have taken step 2 from your guide? The failure to fall back to 2G/3G connection is not limited to my area only as I have had same experience across different states where services should be available according to the coverage maps from both Sprint and VM.

2. Do I need to follow the preliminary step to restore to stock if I were to receive further updates from VM or HTC?

3. I have installed some apps and downloaded offline OSM maps to my SD card since rooting my phone. What is the proper way to back up and restore my data with all configurations intact?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, remanifest,

Thanks for your excellent guide, which I followed carefully without skipping any step (s-off, latest OAT updates, and Harmonia ROM) for my first smart phone, Virgin Mobile EVO V 4G.
You're most welcome!

Data-wise, 4G works where it is available but 2G/3G does not. As a result, an error code 67 message pops up if the phone detects no data connections.
This may be due to the service upgrade that you mentioned in the below paragraph. How long have you been experiencing this? Another cause is a change in your profile at Virgin Mobile.

I contacted VM via e-Mail. She acknowledged a possible cause of cell site upgrade in my area and wanted me to perform an HTC Software Update, which I tried but failed. I gathered it may have been a result of a rooted phone.
The software update failed because it wasn't "expecting" some of the changes that are there in Harmonia - not necessarily a strict function of rooting, but in this case, for simplicity's sake, the ROM is preventing the update.

My questions are:

1. Do I really need the HTC update now that I have taken step 2 from your guide? The failure to fall back to 2G/3G connection is not limited to my area only as I have had same experience across different states where services should be available according to the coverage maps from both Sprint and VM.
The short answer here is no. Step two from my guide gives you all of the firmware that was available in the HTC Update. What you're "missing" are the software upgrades, which you can obtain by installing the DEODEX rooted ROM that was built immediately following the update. One thing that I would recommend if you haven't done it yet, is to go into the Settings where you see the HTC Update, and choose the "Update Profile" option - this has fixed issues for me in the past.

If I was in your shoes, I'd try the following:

• Choose Update Profile from the settings menu as described above
  • In the dialer, push ##3282# - this will do a data reset.
  • In the dialer, push ##786# - choose reset if given an option here
  • In the dialer, push ##775# - this will do a PRL update. It may require your MSL Code, which you can get from an app called MSL Reader in the Play Store.
2. Do I need to follow the preliminary step to restore to stock if I were to receive further updates from VM or HTC?
Nope - any updates that are released from here on out will be provided by members of the community to rooted / S-OFF phones within a day or so of release.

3. I have installed some apps and downloaded offline OSM maps to my SD card since rooting my phone. What is the proper way to back up and restore my data with all configurations intact?
The data on your SD Card should remain safe, but it's always a good idea to back it up on your computer to be safe. Simply copying and pasting the contents of the SD Card to a folder on your computer once a week should be sufficient, depending upon how often the data changes on your SD Card.

For data on the phone itself, I use Titanium Backup - I've been using it successfully for years (however long it's been out). Other people seem to like My Backup Pro, but I've never used it personally. You can try those two apps out for free from the Play Store to see which one you like better or which performs to your expectations, then make the nominal purchase of a few dollars to make things simpler on you.

One caveat with these programs is that restoring "user" data & programs is fine, but restoring "system" data and programs often brings undesired results (Titanium Backup differentiates between these types, so you'll know what I mean when you see it - My Backup Pro probably does too).

The backups that you made in recovery while you were following this guide are like "snapshots" of your phone's configuration in time. They are incredibly useful if you hit a snag - I'd recommend doing a new one every week or so once you've got everything sorted out with your service. It can really help save you some stress if you get in a bind.

Thanks again for your detailed response and helpful tips regarding the backup solutions. Titanium comes with Harmonia so I will try that first and check out My Backup Pro later.

The DEODEX rooted ROM is gone from the netalite site. Are there alternative download links available? Also, I reckon I need to format everything except SD card to erase Harmonia before flashing the new ROM?

The phone was activated less than two weeks ago, brand new from Virgin Mobile. I was coming from the very old Pay As You Go, 18 cents per minute plan before upgrading to the current Beyond Talk plan. Random issues due to profile change have been reported on the Net. Unfortunately, resolutions provided by customer service, tech support team, or users seem to be hit and miss.

I followed your suggestions updating Profile and dialing those short codes. The same error message -- Data Call Failure Error Code 67 still occurrs whenever Wi-Fi and 4G are off and Mobile network is left on. The issue may lie not on the rooted phone but somewhere on VM's newly updated system.

My goal is getting the HTC Software Update per VM's suggestion to faciliate the diagnosis on their side. Is there any other way than returning to stock? The worst scenario is going back to stock and getting the issue resolved before following your guide all over again. The S-Off step, particularly the wire trick, is really not for the faint of heart ;-)

Even if you have to return to stock you won't have to s-off again, just re root and flash recovery again and you're good to go.
OB

That is a load off. Thanks.

I have since followed the Preliminary Steps from this guide and returned to the stock ROM. I am not sure if my phone is still S-OFF but I will have to focus on getting this phone back to service first. There were two HTC software upgrades with the second being 2.95.652.5710RD. The error message still persists. I have followed up with Virgin Mobile Support hoping to get the issue resolved.

Thank you both for your advices. As soon as the issue is resolved and service stabilzed, I plan to s-off (hopefully don't have to) and root my phone again for good.

Best regards!

Yes, OB was right. I just did a Volume Down + Power reboot. The line under the pink Locked header shows my phone is S-OFF RL, HBOOT-1.58.0000, RADIO-1.09.00.0108. There are really no new updates from HTC after all. Next time when I am ready to unlock the phone again, it should be a much easier path.

Per this thread, Poweredge99 had his issue resolved by Virgin Mobile - I'm thinking your issue may be similar to his. Here's a quote from his thread to save you the trip:

Poweredge99 said:
So, after many hours and resets, running the RUU, Updating to the current updates, and many countless VM reps and Tech People, The issue was resolved by the Tech by simply starting my month. According to him, my payment and new month hit a bump and didn't not fully take. I would never think to ask that, and amazingly everyone at VM had me doing resets, reactivation, and so on. As far as not being able to log into my account, I am one of the lucky people being migrated to the new account management system. Once again, Thank you all for the help.

I have no idea what happened. So I got to the step with the wire trick, and it wouldn't work. Basically it kept printing out "do the wire trick now!" over the and over. So I get bored of trying and attempt to do a recovery. Turns out my SD is corrupted.

Basically what I have right now:
I can get to the bootloader.
I can get to 4ext recovery.
I tried wiping the phone & flashing a rom but anytime I boot the phone it goes right back into the juopunutbear screen

Any help is appreciated!

Edit: or I can not be a dummy and try the first step in the guide!

Go to the unlimited.io website and follow the troubleshooting steps listed one by one until your problem is solved.
OB

Thanks for this guide, it was helpful, especially when you mess up!

I flashed recovery & boot IMG's and we're back to Android Yay!

I'll stick to S-ON for awhile.

Curious, I had a fully stock phone w/ updates. Then I rooted it, but now have flashed a stock rom to it (still rooted) It's prompting me about updates. Should I take those updates?

Curious, I had a fully stock phone w/ updates. Then I rooted it, but now have flashed a stock rom to it (still rooted) It's prompting me about updates. Should I take those updates?
What stock ROM did you flash? I'd advise against taking the updates while rooted, and get the updates from the ROM... I'd also advise you to get S-OFF, since it will make things easier on you in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom