• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up CM6

What all needs to be wiped before flashing new gapps?

2 ways

First way(you will have to set up phone again): Nandroid first. Wipe data, davlik cache and cache. Flash a new nightly or stable CM6, then flash the gapps directly after. Then reboot phone.

Second way(This is something that 330D can confirm): Nandroid first. Wipe only Davlik cache and cache, then flash the gapps in recovery. Reboot phone

I have only done it the first way with no troubles but 330D did the second way with no troubles.;)

Upvote 0
2 ways

First way(you will have to set up phone again): Nandroid first. Wipe data, davlik cache and cache. Flash a new nightly or stable CM6, then flash the gapps directly after. Then reboot phone.

Second way(This is something that 330D can confirm): Nandroid first. Wipe only Davlik cache and cache, then flash the gapps in recovery. Reboot phone

I have only done it the first way with no troubles but 330D did the second way with no troubles.;)

I tried the 2nd way; it appears to have worked fine. We'll see if it starts randomly rebooting or locking up.;)

Upvote 0
I may already know the answer to this, but how will I know if I need to flash a kernal?

Also, will installing CM6 speed up Dolphin Browser HD? I really like Dolphin but am forced to use Opera or Steel because they are faster.

You won't really 'know' if you need to flash a kernel but if/when you flash CM6, I believe in general you will need to find out what your phone can handle first.

Flashing one of Dec's BFS kernels can be helpful if you are a gamer, but the stock/CFS kernels are great for multitasking.

Yes, after flashing the CM6, you may see a speed increase in DB HD and the stock browser

Upvote 0
If I ever choose to flash my nandroid, will the phone be restored exactly the way it was before I wiped everything?

Yep, that's why it is highly recommended to do a nandroid before flashing anything. If something goes wrong during bootup or something else, you will be able to get to recovery and restore a nandroid. Everything will be as you left it:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones