• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up CM6

last I flashed CM6 for the first time. love it! bit when I did I didn't have titanium anymore, so o couldn't restore backed up apps. what's the proper method for doing this? do I just reinstall it from the market? will it update or something automatically and retrieve my backups from my SD card?

Re-install it from the market, and run a batch restore (I think the actual wording is restore all apps). When it is complete, reboot your phone and all should be back.... (with the paid version anyway) If you have the free version, I'm not sure if it restores the apps, or gives you their names in a list so you can go back and restore them manually. I bought the paid version so it restores them automatically.

Upvote 0
I think if you pay for one app, this is the one to buy. It is so worth it...
Yup! I think the free version of TB will restore apps but you have to tap each one it lists so it can download it from the Market again. Or something like that. The donate version is so much better because it is a "one touch" batch to restore all apps and system data. (if the user backed up system data too) When restoring system data it is really nice even with a different ROM because some of the system data can still be restored (for me anyway).

Now I have a question for something that is pissing me off now. Hopefully someone has an answer.

First, I have done the "Fix permissions" thing several times and that doesn't help.

The problem is this.....I still get FC's for ADW Launcher and for Google system (gapps). The gapps one still happens even with updated gapps to the latest version. It's not a huge problem and usually happens a few times after rebooting the phone. Sometimes happens during regular operations but doesn't seem to affect much.

The biggest thorn in my side is ADW Launcher after rebooting. My icons don't load properly and most of my apps in the drawer view don't show up because of ADW not loading correctly. So I go into Settings>ADW Launcher and scroll down to tap "Restart launcher." Almost never helps. So I press the "back arrow" on my phone to kill the ADW Launcher so it restarts. This can go on for 10 minutes before it will sometimes load properly. Usually doesn't though. With any luck I get a FC and tap "Force close" and about half the time this makes ADW reload correctly with all my icons displaying on my Home screens and in the app drawer.

To get away from this circle jerk I have set up Launcher Pro with screens the way I want them too. I have chosen LP as my default in Home Switcher several times but it gets over ridden by ADW during regular usage often and always on a reboot. So this doesn't help me either since ADW does what it wants.

Sorry for the length but I hope the details help so this can get figured out! ;)

Upvote 0
if I use titanium to do a full restore (apps, programs, system items, etc) on CM6, will it restore only the stuff that CM6 will allow? it doesn't make sense to me that it would restore everything because most of the system programs are from the Sense UI. wouldn't those programs (idk the proper term atm) clash with CM6? wouldn't it be as if I were running two roms at the same time?

Upvote 0
Yup! I think the free version of TB will restore apps but you have to tap each one it lists so it can download it from the Market again. Or something like that. The donate version is so much better because it is a "one touch" batch to restore all apps and system data. (if the user backed up system data too) When restoring system data it is really nice even with a different ROM because some of the system data can still be restored (for me anyway).

Now I have a question for something that is pissing me off now. Hopefully someone has an answer.

First, I have done the "Fix permissions" thing several times and that doesn't help.

The problem is this.....I still get FC's for ADW Launcher and for Google system (gapps). The gapps one still happens even with updated gapps to the latest version. It's not a huge problem and usually happens a few times after rebooting the phone. Sometimes happens during regular operations but doesn't seem to affect much.

The biggest thorn in my side is ADW Launcher after rebooting. My icons don't load properly and most of my apps in the drawer view don't show up because of ADW not loading correctly. So I go into Settings>ADW Launcher and scroll down to tap "Restart launcher." Almost never helps. So I press the "back arrow" on my phone to kill the ADW Launcher so it restarts. This can go on for 10 minutes before it will sometimes load properly. Usually doesn't though. With any luck I get a FC and tap "Force close" and about half the time this makes ADW reload correctly with all my icons displaying on my Home screens and in the app drawer.

To get away from this circle jerk I have set up Launcher Pro with screens the way I want them too. I have chosen LP as my default in Home Switcher several times but it gets over ridden by ADW during regular usage often and always on a reboot. So this doesn't help me either since ADW does what it wants.

Sorry for the length but I hope the details help so this can get figured out! ;)

Flash build 95, it has the updated ADW that was just released. Maybe that would solve the issue with ADW

Reactions: edivens
Upvote 0
Which app is best for overclocking? Also, I keep hearing that I need to "uncap a kernal" in order to overclock. How do I do that?

Either SetCPU or Overclock widget from the market, I use OC widget and it works just fine;)

You do NOT need to flash an uncapped kernel to overclock. Using setcpu or oc widget, you can set the frequencies with the stock kernel.

Dec's uncapped kernels may help in battery life and/or performance. Flash the CFS or BFS kernels from recovery if you want to go that route;)

Upvote 0
Flash build 95, it has the updated ADW that was just released. Maybe that would solve the issue with ADW
Thanks, I flashed it earlier today. This time I did a full wipe with dalvik also and started fresh. That seems to have helped, or maybe it is the updated ADW. I also didn't flash the gapps since Market, Car Home, and other Google goodies showed up already with build 95. So far things are pretty smooth!

Upvote 0
Thanks, I flashed it earlier today. This time I did a full wipe with dalvik also and started fresh. That seems to have helped, or maybe it is the updated ADW. I also didn't flash the gapps since Market, Car Home, and other Google goodies showed up already with build 95. So far things are pretty smooth!

Cool:)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones