• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Airave (Post #1 has a quick "FAQ" for help)

Just got my Airave and my signal instantly jumped to full bars on my HTC EVO 4G. Does anyone know if someone from outside can access your LAN Network since the Airave is connected to your LAN line now? Not exactly sure how this Airave works.

Thanks in advance...

I just spoke to a tech support rep and they are confirming that users of the EVO and Epic have text messaging issues with the Airvana. Issues range from: sending the same text message out multiple times, receiving texts in batches and also being unable to text at all.

They said that the manufacturer of the Airvana has acknowledged this issue and there IS NO SOLUTION on the way. Very annoying!

hi Marctronixx, I went throught 8 pages of this thread, you are seem to know a lot of computer and airave stuffs. I have this situation right here and hope you can help me. I live in the dorm with free wireless wifi, I got airave couple days ago and I set my wireless computer as a router(by network bridge), so from ethernet port of my computer I connect to WAN port of airave. I turn on airave, I got solid green light of Broadband and GPS, however the Mobile light keep blinking amber???? I get another ethernet cable connected from LAN1 or LAN2 of airave to second computer, from this second computer I can get in the admin page of airave but can't get to the internet. I know that I have to connect airave to the modem or router, but my situation kind of special. Could you please help me with this! Thanks for alls can help!

i have an airave -- in central main floor location. all lights are good- but my bars on the phone (nexus s) don't change much. usually 1, maybe two bars and thats with the airave in the same room. is there some other settings or reset i should do? shouldn't i be getting full bars?

i have an airave -- in central main floor location. all lights are good- but my bars on the phone (nexus s) don't change much. usually 1, maybe two bars and thats with the airave in the same room. is there some other settings or reset i should do? shouldn't i be getting full bars?

Yes you should have full service next to it.

Have you tried to reboot the phone?

I set mine up a while ago and I've forgotten all the troubleshooting tricks.:o

my airrave sucks...

just have it for a few weeks...
it cant find GPS.. even with it next to window.. with the bigger antenna..1 story building.
my evo 4g picks up GPS just fine (right next to it), but has bad cell signal.

i have to take the antenna out the front door.. and past the over hang.. directly under the sky.. for it to lock.

if it looses the GPS after a while,, it does not allow you to use its service.
so I have to take it outside again.

My wife and I each have HTC EVO's with Sprint. Coverage in our home is mediocre at best.

Can I buy a used Airave online and set it up:

a) on my own (without calling sprint)?
b) without any monthly fees?

Thanks for any help/feedback.

My wife and I each have HTC EVO's with Sprint. Coverage in our home is mediocre at best.

Can I buy a used Airave online and set it up:

a) on my own (without calling sprint)?
b) without any monthly fees?

Thanks for any help/feedback.

I actually don't know if you can. I have the 1st gen airrave that they said I don't have to return just lying around. I'd be willing to part ways with it for really cheap, but obviously it'd need to be activated.

Usually, if you call Sprint CS and tell them that the service drops in and out at your house (and they can confirm that based on your area), they'll provide it for you.

Thanks for the response. I have heard from a few places that if you make a big enuff of a case about terrible coverage sprint will provide you one for free but Im unsure of the monthly costs.

I am on the complete opposite side of the equation as you are... people like you have Airaves that they dont need anymore just lying around and sprint doesnt ask for them back so they can be had for cheap being sold as used online.

I work in IT at a small business, and Im constantly in and out of 2 server rooms which are total dead spots. My ultimate goal would be to pick of a handful of these airaves and deploy them at work, home and even my parents house.

Thanks again for any feedback.

Thanks for the response. I have heard from a few places that if you make a big enuff of a case about terrible coverage sprint will provide you one for free but Im unsure of the monthly costs.

I am on the complete opposite side of the equation as you are... people like you have Airaves that they dont need anymore just lying around and sprint doesnt ask for them back so they can be had for cheap being sold as used online.

I work in IT at a small business, and Im constantly in and out of 2 server rooms which are total dead spots. My ultimate goal would be to pick of a handful of these airaves and deploy them at work, home and even my parents house.

Thanks again for any feedback.

I don't pay for the monthly's, simply because the service is so spotty by my house and the proof was in the pudding when the CS rep looked up my area. Even though Sprint is still the best out of all the providers (as far as coverage at my house), it helps tremendously having the Airrave. I think it's worth a shot seeing if they'll cover the monthly's.

Personally, I am not impressed with the Airave or Airvana (current model) performance, I still drop calls left and right and the Airvana is sitting on the corner of my desk!

My business partner has an Airave home as and it isn't any better.

You might want to check what people in your area that are using them are experiencing as I hear reports ranging from "best thing since sliced bread" to "pure garbage".

....You might want to check what people in your area that are using them are experiencing as I hear reports ranging from "best thing since sliced bread" to "pure garbage".

Yea, I've heard that too about the Airave... Some people claim its Great, others dont like it. Interesting...

OP: Also, I dont know about installing multiple Airaves in your house... I say this because I dont know if these things are designed to to accommodate handoffs from Airave to Airave. This May result in a lot of dropped calls. Again, I dont know this for sure... but its a possibility.

Personally, I am not impressed with the Airave or Airvana (current model) performance, I still drop calls left and right and the Airvana is sitting on the corner of my desk!

My business partner has an Airave home as and it isn't any better.

You might want to check what people in your area that are using them are experiencing as I hear reports ranging from "best thing since sliced bread" to "pure garbage".

I can totally see this.

I've found more consistency with my Airrave while having wi-fi on vs. not being on wi-fi. Since the airrave works off the router's signal, I tested that theory at home and it works every time I connect to a phone call. If I'm not on my wi-fi, there'll be times that the airrave cuts out half way through a long phone call.

It is my understanding that you can use only one at a time so multiple units would not work for you.

I can also say that I have never had a successful hand-off from airave to cell tower, it ALWAYS drops the call.

Love my Airave. It has been a God send. I still will drop a call occasionally but nothing like I used to. I could never use the phone at home for anything other than a paper weight. Now I can use it all the time. I even get better 3g with it. I guess in my area (small town) its great. I haven't really talked to people in different areas about coverage though. I got mine free because of the horrible coverage I had here at home.

I recently got one for use inside a metal building that had no cell service. Seems to work good, at least have phone service now, but don't make or receive many calls when in that building so no problems yet. They made me pay 129 for the Airave but no monthly charge.

Not sure if this thread is still active but i just received my airave today at my door (this after sprint saying they were delayed by 4 weeks - more later on that) anyway some background Ive had every generation and only had one work for me - the problem with the old units the gps lock was very hard to come by even with the external antenna - fast fwd the Airvana as they are calling it now is just as bad - mine started and ended with the mobile light going amber but both gps and broadband locking solid green pretty quickly - i tried both the behind the router and the front of router techniques to no avail.

3 hrs on tech with Sprint and my Optimum modem to find out my modem is not up to par with the "Jitter" i was running about 20ms and the Airvana needs to be withing 0-5ms if i am not mistaken - anyway after A TON of tech run throughs and opening ports etc. that was the conclusion - i am running a netgear N router and a motorola surfboard modem - have many wireless devices running in the background etc. never had any issues with any other device or streaming hd movies etc. but again the airvana is very picky and everything needs to be constant and smooth with sending and receiving information -

Called Sprint retentions after the long day of Airvana tech and found out this gem - a newer model is already being pushed out in 10 days - rep saying its suppose to fix all these finicky issues they've had for so long quoting tech support thats all they do all day is help people try and figure out why its not connecting - so for all those suffering trying to find a quick solution it may just be the airvana has bugs like they all have and if your modem/router/the planets are not in specific alignment (aka - jitter between 0-5, packet dump less than 1% etc. etc. ) than you should have no problem but if your like me the average user with services from a cable company the stats will fluctuate all the time hence no allowing your airave/airvana to work properly -

Amazing how they expect the average person to use this thing - i actually felt like a tech after going through all the motions and language (ports, jitter, packets, pppoe, voip, etc.) anyway this thing has been flawed since it came out way back when (i should know) and another good quote to leave you with from retention's

Well i see here that you have 27 towers in your area in need of repair and upgrade, i am assuming they will be updating them to LTE soon - this maybe the reason why you have poor service in your area, the airvana was suppose to help you with that, but if that cannot connect i understand your frustrations, but we do have a newer unit coming out in 10days that is suppose to be a real plug and play, be more user friendly, no more bugs

The only thing i can say is thank god i got it free and no monthly charge - guess ill wait to try out the newer one

In some kind of genius stroke of luck this actually worked!!!!

This maybe the fix of all fixes for those who think its your router or cable provider etc ... you may just have to enable your IPSEC, PPTP, L2TP through your routers admin page (192.XXX.X.X) click save and log out and reset your airvana through the pin hole!! - So far all in the green for past 24hrs (I do get the occasional flashing mobile light but it lasts maybe 30 sec and than connects again - during this process my signal does not drop out though - I am guessing its a normal process from time to time -

The Airvana does work - full bars, no more dropped or missed calls, and I dont have to stand outside my balcony to use the phone! Just in time to bc Sprints service is getting worse before it gets better with this LTE stuff (there are over 70 towers in my county that need updates - no wonder why so many people are complaining - my drop call count has never been so bad:(

Not sure if this thread is still active but i just received my airave today at my door (this after sprint saying they were delayed by 4 weeks - more later on that) anyway some background Ive had every generation and only had one work for me - the problem with the old units the gps lock was very hard to come by even with the external antenna - fast fwd the Airvana as they are calling it now is just as bad - mine started and ended with the mobile light going amber but both gps and broadband locking solid green pretty quickly - i tried both the behind the router and the front of router techniques to no avail.

3 hrs on tech with Sprint and my Optimum modem to find out my modem is not up to par with the "Jitter" i was running about 20ms and the Airvana needs to be withing 0-5ms if i am not mistaken - anyway after A TON of tech run throughs and opening ports etc. that was the conclusion - i am running a netgear N router and a motorola surfboard modem - have many wireless devices running in the background etc. never had any issues with any other device or streaming hd movies etc. but again the airvana is very picky and everything needs to be constant and smooth with sending and receiving information -

Called Sprint retentions after the long day of Airvana tech and found out this gem - a newer model is already being pushed out in 10 days - rep saying its suppose to fix all these finicky issues they've had for so long quoting tech support thats all they do all day is help people try and figure out why its not connecting - so for all those suffering trying to find a quick solution it may just be the airvana has bugs like they all have and if your modem/router/the planets are not in specific alignment (aka - jitter between 0-5, packet dump less than 1% etc. etc. ) than you should have no problem but if your like me the average user with services from a cable company the stats will fluctuate all the time hence no allowing your airave/airvana to work properly -

Amazing how they expect the average person to use this thing - i actually felt like a tech after going through all the motions and language (ports, jitter, packets, pppoe, voip, etc.) anyway this thing has been flawed since it came out way back when (i should know) and another good quote to leave you with from retention's

Well i see here that you have 27 towers in your area in need of repair and upgrade, i am assuming they will be updating them to LTE soon - this maybe the reason why you have poor service in your area, the airvana was suppose to help you with that, but if that cannot connect i understand your frustrations, but we do have a newer unit coming out in 10days that is suppose to be a real plug and play, be more user friendly, no more bugs

The only thing i can say is thank god i got it free and no monthly charge - guess ill wait to try out the newer one
I wish I had gotten your Sprint reps. When I caled for help, all I got was a lot of bad attitude, demands that I mess up my home network and unnecessary nit-pickiness and a total stone wall when it came to talking on technical terms. Clearly the dolt-Napoleans that I got didn't know anything more than what they read off the script.

I am supposed to be getting one of these on the 3rd or at least that is what they said. I have yet to get an email saying it shipped. I just have one question. This thread starts with plugging in all kinds of crap. I have att for cable and Internet at home and my router is wireless. Is this going to cause a problem using this in my home?

I am supposed to be getting one of these on the 3rd or at least that is what they said. I have yet to get an email saying it shipped. I just have one question. This thread starts with plugging in all kinds of crap. I have att for cable and Internet at home and my router is wireless. Is this going to cause a problem using this in my home?

no.. it should be just fine.

the airrave device... is just be another device that plugs into your wireless router. it will be plugged in directly into the router with a Ethernet cable, to one of the available Ethernet plugs.

very simple.

Well here is hoping for the best. One more thing while i am here. I read on Sprint that you have to go into your phone and do *99 to get it to work on your phone. Have any of yall had to do that? I have not seen anyone here say anything about that. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom