• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Sprint carrying extended battery

He probably meant QUALITY CONTROL.

The $10 battery may not meet a particular standard, and could have been rejected. It could have then been sold in bulk to someone who then had thousands of EVO back covers pressed and sold it as a package in eBay for $10.

This is all speculation though. Many of the $10 eBay specials are doing pretty good.

With the Sprint battery, one would hope that a higher percentage of them turn out to be really good.

I still don't think the sprint battery is worth it. For the $10 I spent for my two "3000mah" batteries I can technically buy the listing 5 times, get 10 batteries i can go a whole month without ever charging my phone if i wanted to. you gotta use practicality as well when making a decision to buy a $60 battery after tax. People get too caught up in something having a NAME attached to something. Marketing people and business' make alot of money on people that fall for the "name equals better quality" crap. Take it from a marketing grad you are probably buying the same battery alot of others are buying for cheap. They all come from china and there's only a couple distributors out there that do all the manufacturing of these batteries. Some get a fancy logo stamped on them, packaged and sold for $$$ making people believe its somehow better than the battery behind it on the same manufacturing line that didn't get the fancy sticker attached and sent to a different conveyor for bulk packaging.

i think it is a what you make of it to me i think of it as like one i am buying from hong kong and ebay which in return who know what your getting its just a sticker over something which is a name and as a generation ppl like names so better the name better the product is what we think but in return you buy from ebay get your battery in x amount of weeks and hope its good if not then you have to return it which take waht x amount of weeks then return a new one to you for x amount of weeks and all the hassle and what not whenyou go to sprint and buyy one you get it then and there its bad you go back get a new one then and there and you get a warranty with it and if it does something to your phone sprint will replace it and if the hong kong one does something to your phone then your screwed. so for what i know i can get and if soemthign goes wrong and i know they back me up i go with sprint for the liablity that comes with it and with the hong kong one i see alot of ppl who have this list of things they have to do with it and use a external battery charger to charge and with sprint you pop it in and charge and go see to me its more a hassle for 10 bucks and easier for 60 so i am the type of person who like many other would pay the extra bucks not to deal with all the hassle i am willing to pay more for easier but liek i said everyone is diff and like what they do but i see the same result in batery life as the 10 dollar one so either a hong kong battery is 2600 mah reall or the 2600 from sprint is reall 3500 cause you get the same battery life with the hong kong 3500 mah battery as you do with the sprint 2600 mah and for a side note my buddy uses seidio 3500 and goes three full days with medium to heavy use on a single charge

I still don't think the sprint battery is worth it. For the $10 I spent for my two "3000mah" batteries I can technically buy the listing 5 times, get 10 batteries i can go a whole month without ever charging my phone if i wanted to. you gotta use practicality as well when making a decision to buy a $60 battery after tax. People get too caught up in something having a NAME attached to something. Marketing people and business' make alot of money on people that fall for the "name equals better quality" crap. Take it from a marketing grad you are probably buying the same battery alot of others are buying for cheap. They all come from china and there's only a couple distributors out there that do all the manufacturing of these batteries. Some get a fancy logo stamped on them, packaged and sold for $$$ making people believe its somehow better than the battery behind it on the same manufacturing line that didn't get the fancy sticker attached and sent to a different conveyor for bulk packaging.

like I posted before, after several bunk products for this phone on ebay I felt it better to buy the Sprint battery and have someone to turn to, in person for resolution. (which I had to do with the first pack because the covers didn't snap on correctly)

but I could see how one would assume people buy for just the name if they haven't repeatedly gone through receiving bunk purchases on ebay, then getting no resolution from the seller, and having to go through the buyer protection program to get their money back

i think it is a what you make of it to me i think of it as like one i am buying from hong kong and ebay which in return who know what your getting its just a sticker over something which is a name and as a generation ppl like names so better the name better the product is what we think but in return you buy from ebay get your battery in x amount of weeks and hope its good if not then you have to return it which take waht x amount of weeks then return a new one to you for x amount of weeks and all the hassle and what not whenyou go to sprint and buyy one you get it then and there its bad you go back get a new one then and there and you get a warranty with it and if it does something to your phone sprint will replace it and if the hong kong one does something to your phone then your screwed. so for what i know i can get and if soemthign goes wrong and i know they back me up i go with sprint for the liablity that comes with it and with the hong kong one i see alot of ppl who have this list of things they have to do with it and use a external battery charger to charge and with sprint you pop it in and charge and go see to me its more a hassle for 10 bucks and easier for 60 so i am the type of person who like many other would pay the extra bucks not to deal with all the hassle i am willing to pay more for easier but liek i said everyone is diff and like what they do but i see the same result in batery life as the 10 dollar one so either a hong kong battery is 2600 mah reall or the 2600 from sprint is reall 3500 cause you get the same battery life with the hong kong 3500 mah battery as you do with the sprint 2600 mah and for a side note my buddy uses seidio 3500 and goes three full days with medium to heavy use on a single charge

reading this injured me :P

That is the truth in more than just batteries. I used to be a route salesman years ago for Sunbeam bread. Sunbeam versus Private label...... Bi-Lo... Piggly Wiggly......... Food Lion.....etc.... All comes out the same mix. They do not stop production to switch over to cheaper dough. They just change the bags! Just a little info I hope will save you some money. Bi-Lo French fries are the very same as Ore Ida... Generic medicine versus brand name and on and on.....

I pretty much know the answer to my own question, but here goes anyway...... Will my Otterbox still fit?

i dont think it will since it actually makes the phone bigger, but you could always go in and have them put the battery in and see if it does never hurts

I feel as though I've lost several million brain cells after reading this.

That is the truth in more than just batteries. I used to be a route salesman years ago for Sunbeam bread. Sunbeam versus Private label...... Bi-Lo... Piggly Wiggly......... Food Lion.....etc.... All comes out the same mix. They do not stop production to switch over to cheaper dough. They just change the bags! Just a little info I hope will save you some money. Bi-Lo French fries are the very same as Ore Ida... Generic medicine versus brand name and on and on.....

well...back in the day this was in fact the case.... over the past 6 years or so I have noticed that companies are saving by producing their own rather than the good ole days of simple repackaged brand names.

bread is pretty much the same as it was

...I often use cheese as an example... I do not, and never will buy generic cheese lol or green beans :p

Does anyone have, by chance, any information regarding whether or not Sprint will offer any sort of case to go along with their extended battery? Seems rather silly to offer the extended battery on their top-of-the-line phone without a case to fit it.

so it seems like with the sprints 2600 mah battery your getting the same results or close as in those chinesse 3500 mah batter but less hassel as in how to charge or have to use a external charger and not go weeks to start to see the battery life that you want
Look at where your sprint battery was made, they all come from the same manufacture in China

I have hte "3500mah" ebay batteries, this Sprint EVO extended battery, and the stock. With continuous internet usage over an hour this is how much battery is used:

2700/3000/3500mah ebay battery: 15% an hour
Sprint 2600mah extended battery: 11% an hour
Stock 1500mah battery: 30% an hour!!!

This may be just me but None of the ebay extended back covers fit my phone flush, there was always a loose corner and there would be a bit of play with it when holding the phone. On top of that, it didn't recognize the temperature and would always stay at 25.2C and would get hot after extensive use. I have none of these issues with the Sprint extended battery.

I only got the Sprint extended battery because some people from the xda forums commented on how they went on Sprint Chat and complained about having to spend $60 on a battery just to use it through a whole day, they ended up getting credited back the FULL $63 (after tax). I got offers of 10%, 50% and finally 100% credit after my third try. So i have no problems with this now free extended battery. But If i didn't get the credit, i would not spend more than $30 on this, and would just stay with the ebay batteries.

it comes from the same battery maker.

Does not make it the same quality of battery.. You also loose out on customer support, service, and a company that will stand behind the product in case of an error. Such as the post on page one about getting his covers swapped out due to improper fitting. That would have taken months dealing with Ebay. This is assuming the seller made right on the deal. Your taking a risk with Ebay.

It's like buying tires, I can go buy a Mich Pilot 235/75R16 98Y and buy the same tire but the only difference is Mich Pilot OEM 235/75R16 98Y and the tire IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. That's why you have Dealerships selling tires at a higher cost. It's an OEM tire not the Keystone version of it.

This battery may be made by the same company, but does not mean it's using the same products or production methods.

The bad thing about batteries is they have no class ratings like SD cards do (ie Class 2, Class 4, Class 6, ect ect...)

Marketing has nothing to do with this. While there may be a couple distributors they do not use the same standards of quality. You are not buying the same battery. It is better to buy from Sprint as your buying from a Worldwide Coorporation who will stand behind their product.

What's the highest memory card you can get for the EVO? I heard 32, but all I've seen is 16.

I have yet to see anything beyond 32GB. I would be interested to get myself a Class 4 32GB when They come available. Only thing I have seen are 32GB Class 2

I doubt this applies. Some people thing Gasoline is made like that in Louisiana becuase Exxon Mobil is the only refinery @ the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge, LA..... not true at all. They use different batches, additives, chemicals, ect. ect. ect...

There are still different standards applied to medicines also. It's not cut rate simply as most people try to imagine it.

I have hte "3500mah" ebay batteries, this Sprint EVO extended battery, and the stock. With continuous internet usage over an hour this is how much battery is used:

2700/3000/3500mah ebay battery: 15% an hour
Sprint 2600mah extended battery: 11% an hour
Stock 1500mah battery: 30% an hour!!!

This may be just me but None of the ebay extended back covers fit my phone flush, there was always a loose corner and there would be a bit of play with it when holding the phone. On top of that, it didn't recognize the temperature and would always stay at 25.2C and would get hot after extensive use. I have none of these issues with the Sprint extended battery.

I only got the Sprint extended battery because some people from the xda forums commented on how they went on Sprint Chat and complained about having to spend $60 on a battery just to use it through a whole day, they ended up getting credited back the FULL $63 (after tax). I got offers of 10%, 50% and finally 100% credit after my third try. So i have no problems with this now free extended battery. But If i didn't get the credit, i would not spend more than $30 on this, and would just stay with the ebay batteries.

This is a perfect example of the level of quality and a company standing behind their customers and product.

Lastly, I'm not saying that you need to purchase everything from Sprint but in areas like this, I would reccomend it.

Well, now that I'm getting my free extended battery from Sprint (:D), I really do need to look into cases that fit it nicely. Are there any out there?!

Look at where your sprint battery was made, they all come from the same manufacture in China

Well you look at every thing it damn neer comes from china but dont mean the same ppl or company is making it so if i bought a hat that said made in china and bought another hat that said made in china just cause they say that means that the same company or ppl made it?

tips or pointers on what to say?

here's what i said:

stock battery life sucks
bought the extended battery life from Sprint for $60, charged to account (this way sprint chat can credit your account right away)
mentioned it sucks having to pay $10 a month for the phone, then another $60 to use the phone as intended
i asked if there is anyway to get some type of credit for the battery
i was offered $10 off the first time
i refused and closed chat

second try i tried again, but got offered 50% off. i refused. asked if there's a restocking fee to return the battery, there isn't. told him to make a note in my account that i would be reimbursed the fee if the store decides to charge me a fee.

third time i just gave in and figured 50% is good enough really. i started off by referencing my second chat and mentioned the rep made a note that he'd credit the battery to my account. i didn't mention the percentage or amount, when he checked he said he'll apply the credit. i asked how much and he said $60 which is the full amount. i'm happy with this, and that's hwo i got it.

---I have the rocketfish leather pouch...fits well, magnets latch. great case/pouch!

got my battery for 1/2 price ...but by mistake lol...long story but I am pretty sure they goofed up the return when I returned the HDMI dock

Got the sprint battery and cover today and I'm returning it. The only thing I can say about the battery is it says it's made with sony cells.

The battery door is garbage. It fits even worse than the stock cover. All four corners are raised and it took prying to get it off. Don't know if this is indicative for aftermarket doors but it was poorly made... can't imagine this was made by HTC.

I merely chatted, and didn't actually lie about anything. Just said I am a broke college student, already paid a $100 termination fee with T-Mobile, spent another $200 on the phone, which IS fantastic, but the battery life is so bad that it shouldn't have been sold. She immediately pointed out that I could buy a new stock battery or their extended but I simply said that I think it is unfair for them to make me pay $60 just to get something to make the phone usable and she straight up said she would make a note on my account for a full refund. I barely had to argue at all. I mean like she seemed WILLING to give it to me. It was ridiculous. It was so easy I find it hard to believe. So then I called Sprint because I legitimately don't have $60 to buy it right now, lol, and asked if they could order it for me without my paying since the note was there and they did. They waived the shipping charge too but he couldn't waive the $6 tax so that will be added to my next bill. Overall, barring something RIDICULOUSLY BAD happens, I am now sold on Sprint.

As far as cases go, I am looking for anything actually made for the extended cases. My setup right now is a simple gel case from Best Buy because it's easy to pull off when I get in the car where I used the bottom half of a Best Buy HARD case mounted to the car to hold my phone (it's kind of nifty) but both of them will be useless with the extended battery... so are there any similar cases now?

Can someone provide a link/SKU to the best buy/rocketfish holster?

Also, does the stock cover fit this new Sprint battery (I'm guessing no?). I bought a nice personalized skin for my Evo and have a hunch that upgrading the battery is going to make that a waste of money.

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom