• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] LG G2 Stuck in fastboot mode. PLEASE HELP!

Steelzz

I was trying to install TWRP on my LG G2 using AutoREC, and when I rebooted the phone, on the screen it said:
[820] Fastboot mode started
[870]udc_start()
And when plugged in it says:
[820] Fastboot mode started
[870]udc_start()
[336150] -reset-
[336150] -portchange-
[336170] -reset-
[336150] -portchange-

Things I tried:
Hard reset
Booting to download mode
Booting to recovery mode.
Nothing had worked. D:

Please help guys! Also, I will add that I am not the smartest with Android.

Thanks guys :)

EDIT: My computer won't detect my phone either.

Steelzz,

Welcome to our AndroidForums :).

I've moved our thread over to the LG G2 all-things-root area (is your carrier AT&T?) for you since the good folks in there would be best suited to help you out.

Let me know if the carrier isn't correct and I'll get you moved to the right carrier area root area.

Best of luck!

Does attempting to enter recovery bring you back into fastboot mode?

Just want to make sure you absolutely can't get into recovery using the external key combo as seen here.

Sorry if repeat info for you, just ruling out user error which is likely not the case.

So if fastboot mode is all you have, then you can download available aboot & laf img files and fastboot flash them from your current state. Couple questions if it comes to that:

1.) Do you have the sdk on your PC or any utility to use adb/fastboot?
2.) If yes to #1, have you already used adb/fastboot with your G2 on the machine you will be using for the restore effort?
3.) Are you using Windows, Mac or Linux?
4.) Are you in fact running an ATT variant G2?

Steelzz,

Welcome to our AndroidForums :).

I've moved our thread over to the LG G2 all-things-root area (is your carrier AT&T?) for you since the good folks in there would be best suited to help you out.

Let me know if the carrier isn't correct and I'll get you moved to the right carrier area root area.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the welcome =) Also, yes my carrier is Sprint, thanks for moving it for me.

Does attempting to enter recovery bring you back into fastboot mode?

Just want to make sure you absolutely can't get into recovery using the external key combo as seen here.

Sorry if repeat info for you, just ruling out user error which is likely not the case.

So if fastboot mode is all you have, then you can download available aboot & laf img files and fastboot flash them from your current state. Couple questions if it comes to that:

1.) Do you have the sdk on your PC or any utility to use adb/fastboot?
2.) If yes to #1, have you already used adb/fastboot with your G2 on the machine you will be using for the restore effort?
3.) Are you using Windows, Mac or Linux?
4.) Are you in fact running an ATT variant G2?

Thanks so much for the reply,

1.Yes attempting to enter into recovery mode brings me back to the fastboot mode.
2. No, I do not have the sdk. Is there a download link for it?
3. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64
4. I am using Sprint LG G2 (LS980)

Steelzz

Thanks so much for the reply,

1.Yes attempting to enter into recovery mode brings me back to the fastboot mode.
2. No, I do not have the sdk. Is there a download link for it?
3. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64
4. I am using Sprint LG G2 (LS980)

Steelzz

Ok, that info can get us moving. So our forum has what we call a "mini sdk" which is loads smaller than the full blown sdk and has everything you need and nothing you don't. Get it HERE. (link near bottom of post)

Unzip that package to the root of your PC's "C" drive so you end up with a regular folder there called sdk-tools with some stuff in it.

Next, plug your phone into the PC while it's reading fastboot mode. Then, download Koush's Universal adb/fastboot driver to your PC and install it. Get that HERE.

Following the driver install, MAY not be a bad idea to either unplug the phone for 30 secs or so, then replug to make sure the driver is applied...or reboot your PC with the phone still hooked up and showing fastboot mode.

Now open Windows command prompt (phone still plugged into pc showing fastboot mode) and enter the following commands:

cd c:\sdk-tools

then...

fastboot devices

You should see a string of numbers/letters followed by the word fastboot. If so, you're ready to proceed to flashing the necessary files. I'd like to stop there however in case troubleshooting is necessary. Let us know how that portion of it goes. :)

Ok, that info can get us moving. So our forum has what we call a "mini sdk" which is loads smaller than the full blown sdk and has everything you need and nothing you don't. Get it HERE. (link near bottom of post)

Unzip that package to the root of your PC's "C" drive so you end up with a regular folder there called sdk-tools with some stuff in it.

Next, plug your phone into the PC while it's reading fastboot mode. Then, download Koush's Universal adb/fastboot driver to your PC and install it. Get that HERE.

Following the driver install, MAY not be a bad idea to either unplug the phone for 30 secs or so, then replug to make sure the driver is applied...or reboot your PC with the phone still hooked up and showing fastboot mode.

Now open Windows command prompt (phone still plugged into pc showing fastboot mode) and enter the following commands:

then...

fastboot devices

You should see a string of numbers/letters followed by the word fastboot. If so, you're ready to proceed to flashing the necessary files. I'd like to stop there however in case troubleshooting is necessary. Let us know how that portion of it goes. :)

Thanks for replying :). I'll try this when I get home from school, and update you then.

then...

fastboot devices

Okay, I did everything you said, when I enter fastboot devices into CMD, nothing happens.

Okay, I did everything you said, when I enter fastboot devices into CMD, nothing happens.

Ok, if you could post a screenshot of the cmd session, it may be helpful.

Aside from that, open Windows device manager and try plugging/unplugging the phone while it's in fastboot mode until you can identify it. Ideally, you want it to show up as "android adb interface" or similar wording. Might be a bit different than that but should be close. It could also be showing up as an unrecognized device. If I remember right, those show up as a yellow question mark when that's the case. If necessary, power off the phone, then power it back up when watching device manager. Also if need be, expand all the various options so you can see the devices/subdevices so you don't miss yours when it shows up.

Let us know what you're seeing there and it should give us some clues.

Ok, if you could post a screenshot of the cmd session, it may be helpful.

Aside from that, open Windows device manager and try plugging/unplugging the phone while it's in fastboot mode until you can identify it. Ideally, you want it to show up as "android adb interface" or similar wording. Might be a bit different than that but should be close. It could also be showing up as an unrecognized device. If I remember right, those show up as a yellow question mark when that's the case. If necessary, power off the phone, then power it back up when watching device manager. Also if need be, expand all the various options so you can see the devices/subdevices so you don't miss yours when it shows up.

Let us know what you're seeing there and it should give us some clues.

Sorry, lol, I didn't think about adding any pictures. Anyway, I have attached pictures to the post for you =)

Attachments

• CMD.jpg
    CMD.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 918
  • DevMGR1.jpg
    DevMGR1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 811
  • DevMGR2.jpg
    DevMGR2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 670
Appears the driver didn't take as it's unrecognized. Ok so that's our hangup. Let's try something that might seem strange but I've seen verizon drivers work on other G2 variants and it's the only one I have that are the actual driver files rather than an independent installer.

So download this file to your desktop and extract into a regular folder of the same name:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7460142/LG_VZW_United_Driver.zip

Now go back to device manager when that "android" unknown device is showing up as in your pics. Right click and update driver. Choose the manual update option where you provide the file yourself. Use the VZW_United folder as the destination of the driver file. By that I mean point it to the ENTIRE folder as your source. Windows will automatically search that whole folder for a working driver for fastboot, you don't have to select a specific file yourself.

If it applies successfully, retry the earlier 2 commands where you cd to sdk-tools and run the fastboot devices command. Let's see how that goes.

Appears the driver didn't take as it's unrecognized. Ok so that's our hangup. Let's try something that might seem strange but I've seen verizon drivers work on other G2 variants and it's the only one I have that are the actual driver files rather than an independent installer.

So download this file to your desktop and extract into a regular folder of the same name:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7460142/LG_VZW_United_Driver.zip

Now go back to device manager when that "android" unknown device is showing up as in your pics. Right click and update driver. Choose the manual update option where you provide the file yourself. Use the VZW_United folder as the destination of the driver file. By that I mean point it to the ENTIRE folder as your source. Windows will automatically search that whole folder for a working driver for fastboot, you don't have to select a specific file yourself.

If it applies successfully, retry the earlier 2 commands where you cd to sdk-tools and run the fastboot devices command. Let's see how that goes.

Well.... This is what happened. :/

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 688
Yeah, Windows and their drivers. :D

Give THIS a shot. I'm not sure if the LG mobile drivers include fastboot or not, guess we'll find out. I'm still a little concerned that the Koush universal driver didn't work for fastboot. I hadn't seen that one fail a G2 until now. If the lg united drivers don't work by themselves, you may want to try reinstalling the koush universal driver again after the fact.

edit: also, if the fastboot devices command doesn't work, try fastboot reboot as well. If the phone reboots and then returns to the fastboot screen, you're good to proceed.

Yeah, Windows and their drivers. :D

Give THIS a shot. I'm not sure if the LG mobile drivers include fastboot or not, guess we'll find out. I'm still a little concerned that the Koush universal driver didn't work for fastboot. I hadn't seen that one fail a G2 until now. If the lg united drivers don't work by themselves, you may want to try reinstalling the koush universal driver again after the fact.

edit: also, if the fastboot devices command doesn't work, try fastboot reboot as well. If the phone reboots and then returns to the fastboot screen, you're good to proceed.

I already have the LG Mobile drivers. And when I type fastboot reboot, it says device not found. (Yes it is plugged in to the computer)

Also, I would like to just say thanks for helping me out! :D

-Steelzz

I already have the LG Mobile drivers. And when I type fastboot reboot, it says device not found. (Yes it is plugged in to the computer)

Also, I would like to just say thanks for helping me out! :D

-Steelzz

Ok let's start with the basics to make sure we're not missing something. Using cmd, change directory to your sdk-tools folder. Then type ls -l and paste the output here please.

Also, I'd like a little more info on your machine if possible. I notice you're running from the J drive. That's likely fine but can you explain your setup in more detail. Part of the reason I'm asking is that on your second (middle) screenshot in one of your earlier posts, you have a large amount of what appears to be driver issues. There's like 5 devices that are named but I'm guessing don't have recognition and there's a 6th that is an "unknown device".

Ok let's start with the basics to make sure we're not missing something. Using cmd, change directory to your sdk-tools folder. Then type ls -l and paste the output here please.

Also, I'd like a little more info on your machine if possible. I notice you're running from the J drive. That's likely fine but can you explain your setup in more detail. Part of the reason I'm asking is that on your second (middle) screenshot in one of your earlier posts, you have a large amount of what appears to be driver issues. There's like 5 devices that are named but I'm guessing don't have recognition and there's a 6th that is an "unknown device".

Okay, cmd says ls -l is not a command. And those unknown device and base system device, those have NOTHING to do with the phone, I promise.

Hmm, that could be problematic. Ok so physically navigate to the sdk-tools folder on your machine, open it up and look inside. Are there any files in there? If not, we have found our problem.

edit: ah well you need to drop the -l for windows, that was likely the issue for the bad report. You just type only dir once you're at the sdk-tools directory.

Hmm, that could be problematic. Ok so physically navigate to the sdk-tools folder on your machine, open it up and look inside. Are there any files in there? If not, we have found our problem.
Alright, that's no problem.

EDIT: Added new attachment.

Attachments

• Files.jpg
    Files.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 661
  • cmd.jpg
    cmd.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 698
Ok so we have what we need in there, one hurdle cleared.

Let's try some different drivers then since that's about where our problem has to lie right now. I don't know if the pdanet drivers include fastboot but I'm running out of ideas (short of booting a linux live disc or VM) so give them a shot:

Download PdaNet+

Basically, you just need to install it to your machine as it comes packaged with drivers. I'm pretty much hoping they auto apply once your fastboot device is plugged in.

Ok so we have what we need in there, one hurdle cleared.

Let's try some different drivers then since that's about where our problem has to lie right now. I don't know if the pdanet drivers include fastboot but I'm running out of ideas (short of booting a linux live disc or VM) so give them a shot:

Download PdaNet+

Basically, you just need to install it to your machine as it comes packaged with drivers. I'm pretty much hoping they auto apply once your fastboot device is plugged in.

It worked :D It finally detects my phone! :) It's off the unknown devices list :)

Attachments

• cmd.jpg
    cmd.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 628
  • cmd1.jpg
    cmd1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 639
Back
Top Bottom