• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] LG G2 Stuck in fastboot mode. PLEASE HELP!

I do not understand how to check for a good fastboot connection. so do i go to command prompt and search the coomand?

Open command prompt and change directory to the sdk-tools folder, then issue one or both of the commands I mentioned. So...

cd c:\ sdk-tools

...then

fastboot devices

...and/or

fastboot reboot

That assumes you installed our forums mini-sdk to the root of your C drive. If you have any issues connecting the problem is almost definitely driver related. See some of the earlier posts in this thread for driver install ideas and download links.

Hi Guys, I hope someone can help me.
I have D803 running Optimus G3 Rom with no problems. I wanted to change the rom to Slimkat, just to try it. So I backed up my existing rom in TWRP and flashed the Slimkat.
Everything was OK till I desided to go back to Optimus G3. While I was in the Slimkat I chceked for newer TWRP and reflashed.
After rebooting to TWRP and restoring Optimus something happened and the restore did not work. So now my phone reboots to TWRP and that's it.
I have tried everything for 2 days from LG mobile support tool to pushing new rom via ADB sideload. LG mobile tool runs till 2% and stops, ADB sideload pushes the rom (OptimusG3) OK but at the end of the installation it say "Set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed".
Also I tried to use fastboot commend to flash aboot and other files like above, but I can only do ADB commands, fastboot is not working.
I checked the drivers and my phone seems to be recognized properly in Device
Manager in win 8.1. I also changed computers and used win 7 and no fastboot either. One thing I notice, win 7 computer had problem installing drivers in bootloader.
Like I said it's over my head and I've tried to solve it for 2 days and no luck.
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys, I hope someone can help me.
I have D803 running Optimus G3 Rom with no problems. I wanted to change the rom to Slimkat, just to try it. So I backed up my existing rom in TWRP and flashed the Slimkat.
Everything was OK till I desided to go back to Optimus G3. While I was in the Slimkat I chceked for newer TWRP and reflashed.
After rebooting to TWRP and restoring Optimus something happened and the restore did not work. So now my phone reboots to TWRP and that's it.
I have tried everything for 2 days from LG mobile support tool to pushing new rom via ADB sideload. LG mobile tool runs till 2% and stops, ADB sideload pushes the rom (OptimusG3) OK but at the end of the installation it say "Set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed".
Also I tried to use fastboot commend to flash aboot and other files like above, but I can only do ADB commands, fastboot is not working.
I checked the drivers and my phone seems to be recognized properly in Device
Manager in win 8.1. I also changed computers and used win 7 and no fastboot either. One thing I notice, win 7 computer had problem installing drivers in bootloader.
Like I said it's over my head and I've tried to solve it for 2 days and no luck.
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.

Is that a 32 GB Rogers device or other?

I end up solving the problem. I fallowed the instructions using the dll file and tot flasher and used D803 firmware and dll. Worked like a charm.
Sparky15

I end up solving the problem. I fallowed the instructions using the dll file and tot flasher and used D803 firmware and dll. Worked like a charm.
Sparky15

Good. I wasn't sure if the Rogers tot would be compatible which is why I asked. Good to hear you're back up and running. :thumbup:

hi, i have the same problem with my ls980 ( sprint )
i flashed both aboot.img and laf.img. when i try to boot into download mode it shows a screen with a blue square saying download mode then it switches to fastboot.
any ideas?

much appreciated.

hi, i have the same problem with my ls980 ( sprint )
i flashed both aboot.img and laf.img. when i try to boot into download mode it shows a screen with a blue square saying download mode then it switches to fastboot.
any ideas?

much appreciated.

Does your device show up in device manager, even as an unknown device? Do you have the LG United drivers installed onto your PC? You'll need those for recognition in download mode.

Does your device show up in device manager, even as an unknown device? Do you have the LG United drivers installed onto your PC? You'll need those for recognition in download mode.

no it gets recognized as a android sooner single adb device. i can flash it with the files mentioned above and thats how i can flash it.
the download mode doesnt last more than 1 second. t quickly switches back to fastboot without pressing anything. i dont even have the chance to check if it gets recognized o not in download mode...

no it gets recognized as a android sooner single adb device. i can flash it with the files mentioned above and thats how i can flash it.
the download mode doesnt last more than 1 second. t quickly switches back to fastboot without pressing anything. i dont even have the chance to check if it gets recognized o not in download mode...

Do you know what exact firmware version you were on prior to the problems? Can you link me to the aboot.img and laf.img you have been flashing?

honestly no i have no idea what it had before. the aboot and the laf i flashed were the ones you have posted here.
my intent is to get the download mode to stay on so i can try to flash stock for the time being.

thanks for helping,

Please see my post directly above yours. We were posting at the same time so just making sure you didn't miss it. :)

yes i did miss that post.
alright so i uninstalled the drivers and installed the drivers you posted to make sure that its not a driver problem. the result, the same drivers as before and the phone as explained before it starts with a white square and download mode and quickly jumps in the fastboot. no matter what i do it jumps in fastboot.
any ideas?

yes i did miss that post.
alright so i uninstalled the drivers and installed the drivers you posted to make sure that its not a driver problem. the result, the same drivers as before and the phone as explained before it starts with a white square and download mode and quickly jumps in the fastboot. no matter what i do it jumps in fastboot.
any ideas?

Ok. Let's try something slightly different by booting laf instead of flashing.

fastboot boot laf.img

Note you don't type laf twice like you do with the flash command. The above command is correct, it's not a typo.

So does that result in the same thing or different?

thats interesting..
i did try that and i got this in command.
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.566s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: dtb not found)
finished. total time: 0.734s

on the device i got a
error: getting device tree address failed
dtb offset is incorrect kernel image does not have applied dtb

thats interesting..
i did try that and i got this in command.
OKAY [ 0.566s]
booting...
finished. total time: 0.734s

on the device i got a
error: getting device tree address failed
dtb offset is incorrect kernel image does not have applied dtb

Just to be sure, you ran the command fastboot boot laf.img correct?

Also, please verify that the aboot.img and laf.img files you downloaded exactly match the file size listed on the download page. Better yet, download them a second time and check the MD5 on the new downloads and compare that to the MD5 you get on the original files you flashed to rule out a bad or partial download.

i downloaded them and flashed them again .
i tried the boot laf.img. i got this error now... :(
and he same error on the phone as mentioned before :(

C:\ls980>fastboot boot laf.img
OKAY [ 0.551s]
booting...
finished. total time: 0.718s

C:\ls980>

Alright then. Ugg. I'm hesitant to post this on the open forums to be honest but you may need to flash all or part of the bootstack in order to get download mode back. In most cases I haven't seen the need for this but on occasion I have. I can only guess it's because you may have been on a custom rom prior to these issues which may have used a custom kernel. I'm not even sure about that to be honest.

If one were to move forward, I would personally start by only flashing the stock boot.img (fastboot flash boot boot.img). I'm assuming you were using the ZV8 partitions I linked earlier in this thread. If so, great. Just be sure that any files you fastboot flash are from the same firmware version.

If that alone did not solve the problem, you could try flashing rpm, sbl1, and tz in addition to the aboot, laf, and boot that you've already flashed. With each flash, you're increasing risk.

If you want to hang tight and ask around for other ideas, I'd encourage that. If you choose to flash more than you already have, please be ready to accept the possibility of losing fastboot mode altogether or hard bricking.

That said, I'm not giving out the above advice without having seen it done before. I have seen devices revived using by flashing the mentioned partitions. But it seems to me that as this device has evolved, either due to factory updates or certain roms, fastboot flashing multiple partitions has become riskier than it once was. I cannot explain why that is, I can only say what I've seen and that is increased failure rates when fastboot flashing. It used to be that flashing aboot and laf would seemingly always work on all variants. As you are seeing, it's not always the case anymore.

Whew, that was one of the trickier ones I've seen in awhile. Remind me to send a scathing email to Sprint to be more haxor friendly in the future. :D

Ok, let me find some files and write up the next step. Will post in a few.
hey not sure this thread still open but..
have followed instructions to try and get lgg2 from fast boot mode to download mode
have successfully got device from unknown to android on win 7
my main problem is when i v up and usb in it flashes for a sec download mode then the screen just turns back to fastboot recharge .last line is fastboot host
i can fastboot reboot and phone will reboot
now i am fust accumulating a folder of tools and am lost
LG G2 32GB Unlocked & Rooted Smartphone with Android 4.4.2 KitKat Installed Featuring OptimusG3 ROM
i feel im close just need that extra help please regards scott

hey not sure this thread still open but..
have followed instructions to try and get lgg2 from fast boot mode to download mode
have successfully got device from unknown to android on win 7
my main problem is when i v up and usb in it flashes for a sec download mode then the screen just turns back to fastboot recharge .last line is fastboot host
i can fastboot reboot and phone will reboot
now i am fust accumulating a folder of tools and am lost
LG G2 32GB Unlocked & Rooted Smartphone with Android 4.4.2 KitKat Installed Featuring OptimusG3 ROM
i feel im close just need that extra help please regards scott

You'll want to read through the entire thread. Another member is experiencing the same issue as yourself and I offered the best advice I have on that.

hanks for the help. my brother decided to flash some random files to it and killed it before i got to see your post :S
err...
now it just shows a bunch of drives and a black screen. i am guessing those are the partitions.
errrrrrr......
this messup had nothing to do with this thread.

Back
Top Bottom