• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [STOCK][LINARO 4.9.3] Volt Uno v3.3

heres a screenshot of quadrant using this kernel. its about 700higher than the other one posted earlier in this thread.

can you post which governor and io scheduler you were using when running that? I get scores all over the map with quadrant, using interactive, 1600mhz oc and sioplus i just got an 8896 with my test kernel soon to be released.

On another note, using interactive, sioplus, and 1600mhz oc, i just got a 19035 score in antutu, and a 74.189mflops/s with rom toolbox's benchmark. Got 1123 with velamo, which i dont trust at all considering there was controversy in the past about it catering to snapdragon chips over others.

i was using performance as the governor and sioplus for io scheduler.
can you post which governor and io scheduler you were using when running that? I get scores all over the map with quadrant, using interactive, 1600mhz oc and sioplus i just got an 8896 with my test kernel soon to be released.

On another note, using interactive, sioplus, and 1600mhz oc, i just got a 19035 score in antutu, and a 74.189mflops/s with rom toolbox's benchmark. Got 1123 with velamo, which i dont trust at all considering there was controversy in the past about it catering to snapdragon chips over others.

Id also run benchmarks with 3dmark. Moreover, if mpdecsion is enabled it will override any changes made to the device.

Id also run benchmarks with 3dmark. Moreover, if mpdecsion is enabled it will override any changes made to the device.

working on intelliplug integration, you have any good apps to diable mpdecision? trickstermod has a toggle, but im not sure its actually working.

device control can be used to disable mpdecison. download it from the playstore and go under cpu settings

I use kernel auditor, however, I still find that it will reactivate. Try this https://developer.qualcomm.com/forum/qdn-forums/increase-app-performance/trepn-profiler/28094
You can also disable it when you compile a new test kernel.

looking into it further, i think id like to keep both mpdecision and intelliplug and let the user decide with faux clock or trickstermod which setup they would like to use. Thank you for your input both of you, and if one of you wants to write up a post about how to switch between all this stuff and what they do, please do.

Wait, since when is OC available? It only goes up to 1.19Ghz for me. When did I miss this?! :P

I did not realize that about Vellamo. O.o

i was using performance as the governor and sioplus for io scheduler.
Just set to these and got 8500 in Quadrant, although I have a couple widgets running...could that be a factor?

My previous screenshots were with it set to stock defaults.

Wait, since when is OC available? It only goes up to 1.19Ghz for me. When did I miss this?! :p

I did not realize that about Vellamo. o_O

oc isnt available on the stable kernel yet, but will be here in a few minutes when kernel source and new boot.img are uploaded. Uno is really progressing, and a full changelog and repo for Volt Uno Toolkit will be available when new kernel is posted.

I tried to integrate everything thats been asked for so far in this thread, and the only hangups I'm having so far are Intelli-thermal, OTG, init.d support, zram and insecure adbd, but the latter 3 are being worked on right now and are are ramdisk based and partially completed.

Also, yeah vellamo is made by qualcomm, and I remember hearing when it first came out about how it was favoring qcom devices in benchmarks over exynos when the exynos devices should have clearly won. It could be different now, I never really used it until i saw you use it for benchmark here, and wanted to see if I could match what numbers you got. And quadrant has really been all over the map in terms of scores for me, lol I prefer Antutu because my score keeps climbing each time i add something new to the kernel. Last Antutu score i got with Intellidemand, sioplus and 1.6ghz oc was over 19000.

i have this installed on zv5 , when changing cpu governor to interactive , the device freezes for a second then reboots and goes back to ondemand. i dont use interactive just saying this in case anyone else does

I know about this, thank you for posting it though. Interactive has been a pain, im looking into other sources for it to get it fixed.

Edit: new kernel source and voltunov2.img posted, try things out! I recommend Intellidemand, msm-adreno-tz (with faux simple gpu control enabled in Faux Clock app,) sioplus, oc 1.6ghz, and if you want to walk on the wildside, disable mpdecision with trickstermod or Faux clock and use Intelliplug.

OK, awesome. I guess I'll go back to Antutu. I had stopped using it because it felt fishy that it was advertising other apps. Made it feel fake to me, but I'm probably just paranoid, lol.

Going to check out the new version now. :)

Just installed and ran a benchmark with Antutu. OC at 1.6 with performance and sioplus and got 17.5k. :( Here's a screenshot of the results detail.

Things I have installed that may impact score: GLTools optimized gfx driver, 512MB swap on extsd(class 10) with 0 swapiness.

3 widgets running: Kobo,WiFi Tether Router, and Chronus

Attachments

• 1430770672199.jpg
    1430770672199.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 100
Switched to Intellidemand, disabled swap and gfx mod, and removed all widgets. Got 18.6k

Attachments

• 1430771656004.jpg
    1430771656004.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 92
Things I have installed that may impact score: GLTools optimized gfx driver, 512MB swap on extsd(class 10) with 0 swapiness.

3 widgets running: Kobo,WiFi Tether Router, and Chronus

I noticed performance gov underperforming too. Try it with mpdecision disabled with trickstermod and see if there's a difference. That should throw a good antutu score with all 4 cores pumping at once. Also, set up faux simple GPU governor to up your score a bit. May have to have faux clock from market to control it though.

Also, in real use, benchmark scores are useless. Almost nobody will use performance all the time at a cost of battery life.

I personally like intellidemand because it ramps up when touch input is registered and sits at a low idle when unused.

You'll have to try a variety of different combinations to find the best battery vs performance ratio. That's why I included as much as I did so you guys can experiment and find good combos. Good luck!

Last edited:
Scores aside, the phone feels considerably smoother and more responsive. So far, no major change in battery drain either. Nice work! :)

So, this is odd... After running those tests and such, I reenabled swap and gfx drivers, rebooted, opened up a game (One Finger Death Punch). It froze as soon as I started a stage, after which point the phone started freezing upon reboot. I flashed the v1 kernel and everything was fine again. Thinking it was the swap, since it's controlled by init.d scripts, I disabled it and reinstalled the v2 kernel. Still freezing. I'm on the v1 kernel now.

So, this is odd... After running those tests and such, I reenabled swap and gfx drivers, rebooted, opened up a game (One Finger Death Punch). It froze as soon as I started a stage, after which point the phone started freezing upon reboot. I flashed the v1 kernel and everything was fine again. Thinking it was the swap, since it's controlled by init.d scripts, I disabled it and reinstalled the v2 kernel. Still freezing. I'm on the v1 kernel now.

Which gov and io sched? Also are you using faux GPU control? I'm using intellidemand, sioplus, 1.6 oc, faux simple GPU drivers and can play one finger death punch just fine. I'm gonna assume its a problem with swap or the gfx drivers.

Last edited:
It seems to be the swap. I went and uninstalled the gfx drivers and swap, then reinstalled the v2 kernel. I reran the init.d enable script, which broke root for some reason, so I reinstalled that. Reinstalled the gfx drivers (GLTools) and reset the CPU settings to 1.6 OC, intellidemand, and sioplus (which is what I had before). Everything is running fine right now. Tempted to try to set up swap again...
Is it possible that something got borked when changing kernels?

It seems to be the swap. I went and uninstalled the gfx drivers and swap, then reinstalled the v2 kernel. I reran the init.d enable script, which broke root for some reason, so I reinstalled that. Reinstalled the gfx drivers (GLTools) and reset the CPU settings to 1.6 OC, intellidemand, and sioplus (which is what I had before). Everything is running fine right now. Tempted to try to set up swap again...
Is it possible that something got borked when changing kernels?

I made some changes to the ram disk that could possibly be the culprit, but I'm not at my computer to say for sure right now. Ive never messed with swap on android though, so i dont know how that works on an android phone. Pretty sure the only thing I removed from the ramdisk was init.d support (custom Roms have system level support for init.d though.)

I made some changes to the ram disk that could possibly be the culprit, but I'm not at my computer to say for sure right now. Ive never messed with swap on android though, so i dont know how that works on an android phone. Pretty sure the only thing I removed from the ramdisk was init.d support (custom Roms have system level support for init.d though.)
Well, if you removed init.d support, that could have been it. The swap I was using was run/managed through init.d scripts.

Well, if you removed init.d support, that could have been it. The swap I was using was run/managed through init.d scripts.

Were you running swap on stock kernel? Kwknotts custom zv5 rom has init.d baked in and should be usable regardless of what's in kernel. Your swap script should have fallen back to that. The stock kernel never had init.d support.

Back
Top Bottom