• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Tasker" is a BEAST! (in a good way)

Does anyone know a way to put a widget on a timer? I set up a widget that puts my phone on vibrate, dims the screen and turns off Bluetooth. I use this for when I am on the train but I want it to go back to normal an hour after I start it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

When creating a widget select "Task timer" instead of "Tasker" Then at the bottom right you can select the amount of time you want it to run for.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC Evo and I've followed a couple different examples I found online to Read my SMS while I'm in the car or have my Bluetooth headset connected. It is working but I wanted to figure out how to make two improvements:

1) I'd like it to say the name of the contact instead of the phone # of the SMS sender if the person is in my contacts. I found a post about using SayMyName Dessert for this but I haven't been able to get it to work as the post just mentioned the product but no detailed steps.
2) For my Bluetooth profile I wanted it to read the SMS through my BT headset but the Call stream still only goes through the phone speaker (not even the speakerphone). Can I get it to play through my BT headset when it is connected?

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I see all these awesome ideas about using SMS, but I have mine turned off with only Google Voice SMS enabled. Anyone have any clue how to set Tasker up to use Google Voice's SMS?

I'll pay some sort of reward if there's a solution -- I would really like to see this feature.

Im not sure about SMS, but you could just set it to send via email. Just find the carrier's email domain. All cell companies have them. For example to send a sms via email to a verizon number use phonenumber@vtext.com (1234567890@vtext.com). The rest should be easy.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to create a task based on a notification? For example, I am using SportsTap for notifications on some baseball games. But, let's say I want to use a crowd cheering for the notification sound. Can I set Tasker up to play a specific sound when I get a notification?

Keep in mind notifications are not SMS messages. This is just one example. I get notifications from several programs, and some of them play the default SMS notification tone. I want to use tasker as a custom notification utility for programs.

Can this be done?

Upvote 0
Im not sure about SMS, but you could just set it to send via email. Just find the carrier's email domain. All cell companies have them. For example to send a sms via email to a verizon number use phonenumber@vtext.com (1234567890@vtext.com). The rest should be easy.
The "@vtext.com" address hits your phone as a text, meaning if I emailed myphonenum@vtext.com I wouldn't get it because I have texting turned off.

That's why I'm looking for the Google Voice texting solution. Apparently it's on the tasker to-do list, but I don't know WHEN it will come, and it's my #1 want right now.

Upvote 0
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I just haven't yet figured out what should be a simple thing. In this screen shot from lifehacker, it shows profiles listed in a drop down category. How do I organise profiles like that, mine are all in one huge list and it can get quite confusing.

1281652467_picsay-1281652467.jpg

Upvote 0
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I just haven't yet figured out what should be a simple thing. In this screen shot from lifehacker, it shows profiles listed in a drop down category. How do I organise profiles like that, mine are all in one huge list and it can get quite confusing.

click on the left side of that profile > expand profile > name (or rename) > name of whatever you like

Reactions: earthtodigi
Upvote 0
New State -> Application -> Maps
+ to add action -> Misc -> GPS -> Set On

Then create an exit task doing the same thing, but GPS -> Set Off

What is an exit task? Does one have to create one task to turn it on and then another to turn gps off?

What exact steps are required? Must have read the walk through, etc a few times and still don't get it..... Way too complicated for us neophytes. The directions are obtuse to say the least.

Upvote 0
What is an exit task? Does one have to create one task to turn it on and then another to turn gps off?

What exact steps are required? Must have read the walk through, etc a few times and still don't get it..... Way too complicated for us neophytes. The directions are obtuse to say the least.

An exit task is just something that it does whenever that state goes away. For example, when I turn on WiFi, it closes Skype (Skype won't work with WiFi for some dumb reason). Then when I turn WiFi off, it restarts Skype, which is the exit task. I use exit tasks a lot when I have an enter task that dims the display to save battery life to put the display brightness back to a default level.

And sorry about mentioning an exit task for the Maps-GPS thing, you only need the turn on GPS command for the enter task, and when you close Maps, it'll automatically turn the GPS off.

To add an exit task, touch a task for that state to get the options, and simply "Add Exit Task".

I hope this clears things up.

Reactions: jws3
Upvote 0
Hey has anyone noticed a significant battery drain while using tasker? I think its been draining by battery a decent amount im just wondering if anyone else has these issues.

definitely drains and makes the phone all funny and slows it down. usually 5 apps install like nothing and now they freeze slightly before giving user back control. plus gps was all wacky on me

Upvote 0
An exit task is just something that it does whenever that state goes away. For example, when I turn on WiFi, it closes Skype (Skype won't work with WiFi for some dumb reason). Then when I turn WiFi off, it restarts Skype, which is the exit task. I use exit tasks a lot when I have an enter task that dims the display to save battery life to put the display brightness back to a default level.

And sorry about mentioning an exit task for the Maps-GPS thing, you only need the turn on GPS command for the enter task, and when you close Maps, it'll automatically turn the GPS off.

To add an exit task, touch a task for that state to get the options, and simply "Add Exit Task".

I hope this clears things up.

It clears things up quite a bit. Thanks!

I did BOTH a start and end task, which explains why it went on them immediately off.

I still wish the directions were less difficult and obtuse.

Upvote 0
definitely drains and makes the phone all funny and slows it down. usually 5 apps install like nothing and now they freeze slightly before giving user back control. plus gps was all wacky on me

That's strange, because I've never had any such issues. Tasker might not be all of what's causing this.

It clears things up quite a bit. Thanks!

No problem!

Upvote 0
does anyone know if this can be done? I looked but could not find?

1) If battery is 100% charged and plugged in, turn phone off (so it can be bump charged)
2) If I want to Tasker to stop "tasking" and just leave phone as is till I want Tasker back on, how would I do that?

also
I have these set up
if Bluetooth connected, turn ringer and notification volume all the way up but I have to remember to turn bluetooth on. is there some way it will "know" I'm in the car?
Also turning wifi on at work and home - possible? Or they have to be timed

thanks
if

Upvote 0
To everyone experiencing battery drain issues, I'm willing to bet you are running a "wifi near" profile, right?

I had the same issue. It's not a bug. It's the way tasker checks wifi. The problem is, in order for tasker to check whether or not the "wifi near" profile is true, it has to keep turning your wifi on and off. You can do one of two things. You can either change the frequency of how often it checks for wifi connectivity, or you can change the profile to check for something else instead.

What I wanted to do was have wifi automatically enabled when I got home. Instead of using the wifi near context, I switched it to GPS using only network location, and I've noticed it barely touches my battery anymore.

Upvote 0
All those having battery issues need to read this: Tasker: Power

You need to think about how you are setting up your profiles. If you set up multiple contexts, Tasker will only use minimum power to check for the least-power hungry one first.

So, it's best to setup a state or day/time context first, and then add your location context. For example, when setting up a profile to turn on at work you would set:

Time: 9 am to 5 pm (or widen the window if your hours change daily)
+ Location/Wifi Near

Tasker will only look for the location/wifi near during those times, and save your battery at other times.

Alternatively, you can set up a Location context (not using GPS) with a wide range, and then add your Wifi Near context. That will save you some battery life also.

So there's no way to use tasker to get mobile data to shut off?

Yes. Download APN Droid and Tasker will be able to control that to turn mobile data on/off.

I want to create a widget that turns airplane mode on but toggles it every fifteen minutes so I still receive texts. The ides is that I click this widget before I go to sleep, airplane mode turns on to save battery life, but texts and voicemails still come through every 15 minutes. Then, I click the widget when I get up, and it turns airplane mode off.

I think there is a better way to get the same result that you want. Airplane mode turns everything off, which I don't like here is what I have.
Profile #1 (Change sounds so it doesn't wake you up, turns off data.)

Context 1: Time (set for hours I am normally sleeping)
Context 2: Orientation (set for position of phone when I'm sleeping)

Tasks:
1) If %Screen ~ off (so it only performs the below tasks if I'm not using my phone)
2-5) Set volumes for ringer, notification, etc. (Whatever you want so it doesn't wake you up.)
6) Mobile data off (you can add wifi off, etc. whatever you want)
7) Auto Sync off

Profile #2 (Periodically connect to sync)
Contexts the same as above, except for the time context you can set an interval to repeat every XX minutes or whatever.

Tasks:
1) Mobile Data on
2) Auto Sync on
3) Wait 2 minutes (to give it time to connect and sync everything)

You may need to adjust the priority of profile 2 to a higher level so that it overrides Profile #1.

Tried that. Just gave me the chance to return to normal settings so i would need one widget to start the task and one to end it via a timmer.

Have you tried having the widget set a variable? For example:

If %TRAIN = 0
Set Variable %TRAIN = 1
STOP
IF %TRAIN = 1
Set Variable %TRAIN = 0

Then you set a context that turns on when %TRAIN = 1.

Click widget ->Tasker sets value at 1 -> context on
Click widget again -> value changes to 0 -> context off

I haven't tried it myself so you may need to test it, but that might work.

Here is what I want to do - I want Tasker to call a specific phone number at 8 am each week day (phone number is in my contacts) and then at 5 pm I want it to call a different number.

There is an action for making a call under the Phone actions. It also has an autodial checkbox. Try that. Create a time context, and set that as the action.

Not sure why you would want this though?????

Reactions: mted558
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones