• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The "Fix everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d" thread

I flashed the og pri posted above but it didn't change in my settings, still shows as 1.53_145, shouldn't it show as 1.53_144?

edit: was reverting everything back so i can call vm too see about my 4g not connecting, not sure if it was needed but i got my 4g back!! thanks

Yeah, I wonder about this too. doesn't it suppose to be _144?

I ran the VM RUU to return to 100% stock but the PRI still remain at _145 :confused:

I did some research and it says that the PRI is not downgradeable!! You can only upgrade it. But if you edit the hex to show a number equal or higher than the version installed, it would flash.

So to those who have changed to _145 using the "turn everything into the evo3d" thread. You cannot go back to _144. It's not possible with PRI.

But the original VM PRI can be edited to match the _145 and it would flash. So if you run the VM RUU, the PRI included was edited to match the 145 number so it would flash. That's why after running VM RUU, it would still show it as _145.

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance as this is my first post here, and am not acclimated to your mannerisms.

With that out of the way I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind trying to help with them I'd be much obliged.

I recently bought an HTC evo V (not my first droid by any stretch of the imagination), so I decided to do my normal routine of Rooting/Roming this wonderful new phone, when I happened upon this thread.

I read through it and thought to my self "Better signal, why not?". So I got everything ready and started off on this task, when it came time for this to get done, I flashed Harmonia and followed all of these steps precisely (Seriously read the OP like 10 times), though I decided not to flash the PRL because a few people said it didn't matter.

Now after I flashed all these I was expecting my signal to increase, but instead it decreased (by about 12 dBm). As you can imagine I am a little confused, any insight that you might offer? Or anyway to get back to the originals, while keeping my ROM and not having to wipe my phone?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Leslie Ann : Good work on the OP, I found it an easy read, as well as easy to follow the steps. Thank you for that, and all the development work you do elsewhere, you helped make my phone that much better (well besides this "tweek").

P.S. Leslie Ann : Good work on the OP, I found it an easy read, as well as easy to follow the steps. Thank you for that, and all the development work you do elsewhere, you helped make my phone that much better (well besides this "tweek").
YW.

Keep in mind you could be seeing a normal signal variation, it takes very little to change it. Without pro equipment you can only do averages and see.

My advice though, is try other radios and see which works for you. Also, and more importantly, ignore your signal, if the phone works (especially if it works better), does the signal really matter? You could show me the worst signal ever but if it never drops a call, why should I care?

One radio gave me a better signal, but it was jumpy, another gave me a good signal but it was more prone to dropping altogether. Each has different properties, the trick is to find what works best for you and your area. The one linked is one I found to work best all around.

Don't pay too much attention to the numbers or the bars, they won't give you the whole story.

While the incidence has decreased I am still getting the radio error prompts and missed calls after the ota (1.14.. /1.09.00.0706). Will having the newer software/firmware give me issues in the s-off EVO3D transformation process?

While the incidence has decreased I am still getting the radio error prompts and missed calls after the ota (1.14.. /1.09.00.0706). Will having the newer software/firmware give me issues in the s-off EVO3D transformation process?
The ota's give you the newest, though, there is more than one OTA, so you may not have yet gotten the important one.

Going S-off allows you to try them all and find the best for you.

Is that the newest PRL?

I have 61009, that has been the latest one for a while.

That is the latest Virgin prl, the 61092 is a year old Sprint prl. They don't get updated very often. Since we run off Sprints towers their prl's are compatible with our phone. :p
OB

That is the latest Virgin prl, the 61092 is a year old Sprint prl. They don't get updated very often. Since we run off Sprints towers their prl's are compatible with our phone. :p
OB

Oh i see, so even though it has a higher number it's an older PRL.

There's no reason to change the PRL now since the EVO V with firmware update 1.14 works great.

Yeah, Virgin and Sprint increment the files separately so that a lower numbered Virgin can actually be newer. And unless you're having extremely poor reception in your area it's usually not worth the effort to swap :p
OB

Now that I am s-off I have been considering turning my phone into an HTC EVO 3D, but I wonder what if any improvements it offers over the radio in the January OTA update. Has any one done any testing of the January OTA vs the radios offered here. I notice this guide offers two Radios, one in the middle of the guide (0.97.10.0530) and one at the end (1.13.652). The Radio in the addendum seems to be recommended, so why did it not replace Radio 0.97.10.0530 in the guide's process. I still have the JuopunutBear Hboot that was installed after the s-off process, the Hboot recommended here is 1.04. I see a number of users employing 1.50, so what is the difference between the two? Thanks.

Now that I am s-off I have been considering turning my phone into an HTC EVO 3D, but I wonder what if any improvements it offers over the radio in the January OTA update. Has any one done any testing of the January OTA vs the radios offered here. I notice this guide offers two Radios, one in the middle of the guide (0.97.10.0530) and one at the end (1.13.652). The Radio in the addendum seems to be recommended, so why did it not replace Radio 0.97.10.0530 in the guide's process. I still have the JuopunutBear Hboot that was installed after the s-off process, the Hboot recommended here is 1.04. I see a number of users employing 1.50, so what is the difference between the two? Thanks.
The one in the guide is the recommended one. The one at the end was removed from it, hence why it's in the changelog.

Is it better than the OTA, for some, yes, for others no. Both work quite well. Remember this was written before the OTA and was meant for users who were already rooted and s-off and can't use the OTA.

If you have the OTA and you're happy, then the only thing you really need here is the Hboot if the rom you choose needs it. The PRL may help reception, but in most cases it doesn't do much.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this thread so apologies if I'm being repetitive, but there's a lot of info on here to weed through.

I bought the HTC Evo 4G through Viirgin Mobile when it first came out (Nov 2011?), and have had this radio interference problem (among other problems) for a very long time. I've updated my profile, PRL and software multiple times to what's currently available, and still problem persists. I've popped out the battery, I charge the phone every night, I don't drop it. I'm not a techie person so I have no clue about all the rooting suggestions or what that even is, and I don't want to lose anything I've got on the phone (I have it synched to Google/Gmail). Any other suggestions or am I stuck unless I buy a new and different phone? No offense, but every time I've ever called VM tech support, it drives me nuts and frustrating. I do a lot of communication via texting, this is aggravating.

I was really excited about this phone, but now miserable considering how much I spent (full price) and I seem to have such bad luck with cell phones, feels like money down the drain for this phone (again). Aside from the radio interference, I notice when I have the 4G turned on the battery sucks dry within a couple hours, sometimes less. When I unlock the phone, rather than pull up the homescreen it sometimes pulls up a page I haven't even gone to in a long time, more of a hassle than problem I guess. Recently I had to delete my yahoo email account and re-download it because it hadn't caught up with new emails in several days. I've also had the phone turn itself off even with a full charge. And the VM/Sprint network is not that stellar, at least around me.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this thread so apologies if I'm being repetitive, but there's a lot of info on here to weed through.

I bought the HTC Evo 4G through Viirgin Mobile when it first came out (Nov 2011?), and have had this radio interference problem (among other problems) for a very long time. I've updated my profile, PRL and software multiple times to what's currently available, and still problem persists. I've popped out the battery, I charge the phone every night, I don't drop it. I'm not a techie person so I have no clue about all the rooting suggestions or what that even is, and I don't want to lose anything I've got on the phone (I have it synched to Google/Gmail). Any other suggestions or am I stuck unless I buy a new and different phone? No offense, but every time I've ever called VM tech support, it drives me nuts and frustrating. I do a lot of communication via texting, this is aggravating.

I was really excited about this phone, but now miserable considering how much I spent (full price) and I seem to have such bad luck with cell phones, feels like money down the drain for this phone (again). Aside from the radio interference, I notice when I have the 4G turned on the battery sucks dry within a couple hours, sometimes less. When I unlock the phone, rather than pull up the homescreen it sometimes pulls up a page I haven't even gone to in a long time, more of a hassle than problem I guess. Recently I had to delete my yahoo email account and re-download it because it hadn't caught up with new emails in several days. I've also had the phone turn itself off even with a full charge. And the VM/Sprint network is not that stellar, at least around me.

Have you taken any of the Over the Air Updates? If you don't want to root, the November 2012 update should/should have taken care of the Radio Interface Shortage errors. Unfortunately any suggestions I have would lose your data. You can save your contacts, text messages, etc. and even back up your user apps for an easy re-install. You will not be able to back up the data associated with your apps, however.

If you aren't interested in doing homework on rooting and want to stay stock, you may need to do a factory reset. It's unfortunate but when you are stock, a factory reset is the only way to clear the phones caches that can cause a lot of issues. If rooted, it's a simple cache wipe with no data loss. Literally takes seconds.

If you are interested in rooting there are many guides available. A good place to research is this thread, though the over the air update made a lot of it obsolete, it still has good information.

A couple others would be:
http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...ing-evo-v-4g-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/695161-s-off-root-fix-everything-all-in-one.html

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/546171-htc-evo-v-4g-all-things-root-guide.html

There is a lot of information but it's worth your time to do the reading if you are serious about rooting. We have an awesome root community for this device, so there is always someone helpful around to answer questions if you get stuck, or to help you out of a sticky situation.

Rooting will also wipe all your data (factory reset the phone) in the process, but once rooted, you never have to worry about losing data again. You can make full backups of your phone, plus back up apps & app data, plus countless other benefits. Change radios if your signal sucks. It goes on and on.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need and take your time. Many people here willing to help.

Cleanup boys ;) honestly it's up to you guys. Started getting some flack for out dated stickies. Imo the all things root guide eliminates the need for multiple stickies so I consolidated everything into that. I do however need your guys' help keeping it up to date. If something is blatantly incorrect now, let me know and I'll remove it. If something needs to be added, same thing.
If the community feels strongly enough that something needs to be added as an extra sticky on top of the ATR sticky, i will gladly make another sticky if the community feels it's best.

Kind of a dumb question but before i do anything stupid i wanted to ask. So i have hboot 1.04.200 (The same one after the wire trick s-off) i am rooted running Mobsterz/unSENSEable V1.4.1 ROM. Now all i need to do is switch back to stock ROM, then boot to boot loader and do the radio then pri?

Leslie Ann or any expert: I followed the guide down to the "PRL" portion and all went as hoped. But when try the prl portion, the QPST doesn't recognize my htc evo v. I followed the htc driver page and shows I have driver installed for my pc. Which is Windows 8 64bit. After following the guide...I'm on:

Dirty Unicorns 4.2.2
hboot: 1.04.2000
Radio: 0.97.10.0530

Anyway to get the prl update, another way. Putting on sd card or getting this qpst to see my htc evo???

Leslie Ann or any expert: I followed the guide down to the "PRL" portion and all went as hoped. But when try the prl portion, the QPST doesn't recognize my htc evo v. I followed the htc driver page and shows I have driver installed for my pc. Which is Windows 8 64bit. After following the guide...I'm on:

Dirty Unicorns 4.2.2
hboot: 1.04.2000
Radio: 0.97.10.0530

Anyway to get the prl update, another way. Putting on sd card or getting this qpst to see my htc evo???
Since you'd previously followed my guide, you've essentially downgraded your phone.

Back
Top Bottom