• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The "Fix everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d" thread

I didn't get better signal at all I wonder if I did it right

Well the guide says that the PRL is optional. As long as you got the hboot, the radio, and the PRI to stick, you're good! I got all those and I wanted to get the PRL too but just can't figure out how. So if anyone knows why I got the error ( screenshots 3 posts previous) and how I could get my PRL to change would be very much appreciated!

To Devok: I noticed that the network signal on my phone is more stable staying mostly on 5 bars now after the radio and pri change. Before It would always fluctuate between 2-4.

Well i gave it a third try and got no NV error! what i did was i de-select "Exclusive Access" which was on by default. Phone rebooted and I got a phone no longer detected on COM4. Went to check the PRL version and it stills say 61009. But I did notice a difference in the network signal! Now it stays mostly on 5 bars and fluctuate between 4-6 bars! It never gained 6 bars for me before.

damm the prl is getting me mad i cant even find phone on the port

When you dial ##3424#, the diag thing runs on your phone. you have to dial ##3424# again and then hit the second capacitive button and disable it. then go back in it and it should be detected by the PQST again

Thank you very much bro you been alot of help to me
http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...ng-max-battery-life-jb-4-1-2-awesomeness.html you should check out this rom if you haven't already so far so good just a little bugs but im sure they will get fixed

You're welcome bro. Glad I could help out. I've tried that rom, it's nice. Smooth and seems stable but it's still early in development so there will surely be unexpected bugs but the developer of this rom is amazing. He works on his builds daily and always fixing and improving stuff! He's awesome! I will run this when it's got a few more updates under its belt. :D

Is it still useful to turn my phone into a 3D? I am going to root with zero prior knowledge, and since the radio interface problem is over, I figured this is useless. I'm probably wrong...

Is it still useful to turn my phone into a 3D? I am going to root with zero prior knowledge, and since the radio interface problem is over, I figured this is useless. I'm probably wrong...
I wouldn't call it "useless", but if you upgrade your firmware to the OTA version during or after the rooting and S-OFF process it may not be necessary if everything is working correctly for you.

ramjet73

I followed all the steps with my VM EVO V and everything worked great. I'm S-off, running harmonia, and i put everything on expect the PRL. I no longer get any issues with texting even when i'm in a new area.

But... phone calls now drain my battery VERY fast. Previously screen was always my #1 user, now if I talk on the phone for 1 hr my battery is almost dead. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

It makes sense in some way... maybe the new radio just outputs a lot higher to get the better signal/connection. I also noticed the phone gets hot pretty quick when i'm talking where it never did that before.

I followed all the steps with my VM EVO V and everything worked great. I'm S-off, running harmonia, and i put everything on expect the PRL. I no longer get any issues with texting even when i'm in a new area.

But... phone calls now drain my battery VERY fast. Previously screen was always my #1 user, now if I talk on the phone for 1 hr my battery is almost dead. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

It makes sense in some way... maybe the new radio just outputs a lot higher to get the better signal/connection. I also noticed the phone gets hot pretty quick when i'm talking where it never did that before.

r u overclocked?

r u overclocked?

I don't think so. I downloaded Hormonia 3.17 and followed the guide here. Nothing else. I'm pretty good with computers, but i'm new to modifying smart phones.
Would overclocking affect batterly life of phone calls specifically or more general consumption?

I don't think so. I downloaded Hormonia 3.17 and followed the guide here. Nothing else. I'm pretty good with computers, but i'm new to modifying smart phones.
Would overclocking affect batterly life of phone calls specifically or more general consumption?

overclocking would increase your processor speed therefore causing battery consumption... not related to phone calls but one of the major reasons for battery loss...

download 'kernel tuner' from the market...
press the 'cpu tweaks' button...
report back the cpu clock speeds (the #s in Mhz)...
should have four results...
min and max speeds for cpu 0 and min and max speeds for cpu1...
get me those #s and i'll tell you if that is your problem...

edit: also give me the governors that you are using:

I am getting the endless bootloop after flashing the new hboot :(

I have s-off, rooted, and harmonia was already installed before I tried all of this. Any suggestions?

Just download the stock radio. XDA has all of the radios and PRI and such., just check their stickies for links to the appropriate thread.

Honestly, there is no reason to go back to the stock ones as they are terrible.

Harmonia will work and if they ask, tell them you are are on stock, as it functions exactly the same.

Harmonia itself cannot fix the fluctuations, that is a firmware issue, but s-off isn't as scary as it seems and once you get the radio updated, the phone works great. It can still fluctuate (just not as much, but that is because it's extremely sensitive to changes. Many phones buffer it so you don;t see it fluctuate as much.
Thanks so much L.A. , last week I did the s-off and flashed the new radio, PRI etc. One question though, adding the roaming PRL seems to caused an issue that when my signal goes low enough, I get the roaming triangle and trying to make a call results is a voice recording asking if I would like to make a collect call, or I get on Verizons network and get a different message. Now going into settings and updating PRL seemed to fixed the issue , but not sure If it will come back again when I get in a weak signal area. Now if I remember correctly, Sprint phones would roam with no additional charge, but I don't think Virgin will. Any thoughts? otherwise everything is running much better.

What prl are you currently on? You're correct that Virgin doesn't allow any roaming, depending on the rom you're using there might be a setting under networks to not allow roaming but if you updated the prl through the phone and are on 61009 that's the latest VM and you won't have the problem. :D
OB

Back
Top Bottom