• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The "Fix everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d" thread

OK, the last step, the PRL update, I'm not getting any port identification.

I was originally using the drivers from s-off, then uninstalled those and went back to the original HTCsync software install, then uninstalled those and grabbed these;

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...evo-v-4g-total-hacking-guide-compilation.html

Which apparently had the diag drivers, and was able to update the phone drivers with those. Still no good. There's no port showing up on the phone or in QPST.

Any idears?

OK, the last step, the PRL update, I'm not getting any port identification.

I was originally using the drivers from s-off, then uninstalled those and went back to the original HTCsync software install, then uninstalled those and grabbed these;

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...evo-v-4g-total-hacking-guide-compilation.html

Which apparently had the diag drivers, and was able to update the phone drivers with those. Still no good. There's no port showing up on the phone or in QPST.

Any idears?

happened to me 2...
just switched to my old laptop...
same operating sys and all but fixed my prob so if you have another pc i def recommend trying that...

Which drivers did you put on the laptop, David?

its been a while since i did all that.. all i remember is that i installed the drivers from unlimited.io on my original laptop and those didn't work for me..

went to my old laptop and all i did was install htc sync and sdk-tools...
after that things went all smooth...

note that is the hardest part to get going and its not worth all the work... wont help your signal enough to matter...

Yeah, I gotta get this phone back to her. I'll just forget the last step, we don't really have much trouble with signal around here, there are plenty of towers.

Thanks.

After all these updates, I can't seem to get the phone connected to my home's wi-fi router. It is trying to connect it seems, but never actually does so. I finally dumped my wi-fi settings and had my router broadcast its SSID, but still not connecting (even after deleting the original saved config and re-entering).

EDIT: scratch that, had a router config issue on my end.

After all these updates, I can't seem to get the phone connected to my home's wi-fi router. It is trying to connect it seems, but never actually does so. I finally dumped my wi-fi settings and had my router broadcast its SSID, but still not connecting (even after deleting the original saved config and re-entering).

What's your encryption type?

rom?

one quick question, if i just want the ENG Hboot 1.04, do i just need to flash the Hboot zip in Hboot?

to switch hboots you must save the pg86img.zip to the root of you sdcard and then open bootloader...
the bootloader will recognize the .zip file and will offer to flash it...
you just have to confirm...

Disregard those posts. All is well over here. I managed to get everything flashed without too much of an issue. Thanks to davidmargolin for the quick responses and help!

I installed the OTA update a few days ago and everything seems to be working well with regards to texting which was giving me problems. This is a completely stock phone other than the OTA update. Is there any benefit in following all the steps here or should I only be doing some of the steps? I'd like to do s-off and root it. There's just so much stuff out there for the Evo 3D and more for the Evo V that my head is spinning. I don't even know where to start.

I installed the OTA update a few days ago and everything seems to be working well with regards to texting which was giving me problems. This is a completely stock phone other than the OTA update. Is there any benefit in following all the steps here or should I only be doing some of the steps? I'd like to do s-off and root it. There's just so much stuff out there for the Evo 3D and more for the Evo V that my head is spinning. I don't even know where to start.

Start small my friend. Start with a simple boot loader unlock, recovery and then do some more research! Trust me when you start to use custom ROMs you'll get spoiled and never want to touch stock again. I had my Evo stock for about 4 hours then rooted and ROM'd it.

Start small my friend. Start with a simple boot loader unlock, recovery and then do some more research! Trust me when you start to use custom ROMs you'll get spoiled and never want to touch stock again. I had my Evo stock for about 4 hours then rooted and ROM'd it.

That's the plan. But where do I go? There are several threads on how to s-off and how to root. There are several different bootloaders and different ways to install them. Which bootloader do I install? How do I go about doing that? Where do I start.

That's the plan. But where do I go? There are several threads on how to s-off and how to root. There are several different bootloaders and different ways to install them. Which bootloader do I install? How do I go about doing that? Where do I start.

start with this thread:
http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...ing-evo-v-4g-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

It'll give you the literal hand-held step-by-step to getting stated with everything from installing ADB sdk files to flashing a ROM :D

edit: I did the MD5 on the computer.
ALWAYS MD5 it on the card, I have personally witnesssed the file being corrupted MANY times just going through USB. USB has no built in error correction.

I have a problem. I updated the radio, PRI, and PRL with no problems. I then installed a rom but now whenever I try to make a call I get a message saying "Welcome to verizon wireless your mobile number is either not active or is invalid. For assistance please contact your wireless service provider."
Any ideas on what to do?
Somewhere in setting on your rom is a roaming setting. Disable it.

Could *anyone* please help with just one question;

At what point in the instructions for root/s-off/Leslie's guide might I need personal information from the person that owns the phone that I'm working with? This would include either their Virgin Mobile PIN and/or their gmail account and password that is to be associated with this device.
When you change roms you usually need the email and password to redo it. Harmonia is so close to stock that it should just overwrite what needs to be overwritten without loosing anything, but you should make a backup just in case.

If it does lose it all, you will need the email and password.

If you are determined to remain stock...
Flash the hboot, then radio, pri, then flash the original hboot again. It should boot right up.

If you have the OTA, then the only things of real benefit to you will be hboot (for roms that need it) and possibly the PRL. I wouldn't change either unless you need it or think it will help.

Thanks, Leslie. I actually installed Harmonia before flashing hboot to avoid the boot loop. The stripped down operating system is nice.

The only oddity that we've found so far is folks that run their home router without broadcasting the SSID. It seems that temporarily enabling the SSID to make the connection, and then hiding the SSID again on the router once connected results in a saved connection that won't connect again once the SSID is hidden.

I think they eventually added the SSID manually while hidden, we'll see how that went. It reminds me of a setting on notebook PC's that seems to be missing on Android - "connect to router even if not broadcasting SSID."

Can somsone give me a hang please, I have unlockjed potential installed and I tried doing all the updates except the PRL, which were successful, but now the ROM won'tboot past the boot screen, the buttons light up, but that's it. it was booting fine before

Can somsone give me a hang please, I have unlockjed potential installed and I tried doing all the updates except the PRL, which were successful, but now the ROM won'tboot past the boot screen, the buttons light up, but that's it. it was booting fine before

Reflash whatever ROM you are using. Do a complete wipe and reflash it.

I flashed the radio and PRI and I seem to be getting 1-2 bars better reception. The link to QPST for the PRL change does not seem to be working. It may just be the download site being down, I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks for this guide Leslie Ann! Great stuff as always.

Back
Top Bottom