• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "I received the Htc fps update" thread

When I go to update, it says no update available. My software number says 3.26.651.6 ????

Anyone else? Is it just not available in my area (Columbus Ohio) yet?

(FINALLY showed up after checking manually for update 50 times... 8:17AM EST 9/23/2010)

its available columbus i got it while i was @ walmart on morse rd lol i kno that doesent have anything to do with it

Noob question I'm still running on 2.1 and have not received any update I have tried updating manually and I get a message that there no new update at this time my question is do you have to have the 2.2 OTA running...

Noob question I'm still running on 2.1 and have not received any update I have tried updating manually and I get a message that there no new update at this time my question is do you have to have the 2.2 OTA running...

:confused::confused:
Did you check for HTC Software updates? 2.2 would come up under that, not the firmware update. To date, I can't remember a single OTA update being available under firmware update.

More than just a few have reported over the months of stalls and sluggishness that may be attributed to to different factors
... and I can guarantee you that "stalls and slugishness" aren't due to the frame rate being held at 30 FPS.

In fact, your post is what irritates me about the whole thing- that people, after seeing some posts in a forum somewhere, read about "capped video" and think it means there's something "wrong" with their handsets- even to the point of bothering HTC about it, distracting them from doing something useful with that time- for a small change that has nothing to do with the above issues and in essence means very little to the day-to-day EVO experience except so that someone can swipe their screens all day "and it looks just like an iPhone".

But it sure looks pretty to swipe around the app screens, huh?! 1% of my daily usage. For all those who need that, that's why St. Steve invented the iPhone from on high. Me? I need functionality over pretty screen swipes.

My big objection is where people are saying this FPS increase "makes the phone 100% better" or "night and day difference" which is a total crock of excrement.

Here's my two cents. I didn't know anything about this 30 fps limit at all until today. I downloaded the update (which I knew nothing about) when my phone offered it to me this morning. I installed it, and went about my merry business. FIRST THING I noticed when using the phone afterwards was that everything felt smoother, and the phone felt a lot faster. I noticed that scrolling through homescreen pages, as well as anything else on the phone, along with any pop-up window animations, etc, felt a lot more fluid. That's when I went digging around here to find out what this update did, and how I learned about the 30 fps cap.

You can say whatever you want, but the truth is the fact that transitions and scrolls and other effects are silky smooth now simply makes the phone FEEL faster. And that, quite frankly, is half the battle won. There was a whole article on Gizmodo about how Chrome is taking over Firefox as the main browser most people use, and there was a whole section devoted to the fact that, regardless of which browser IS faster, Chrome FEELS faster, and therefore it's more of a joy to use.

Your argument is akin to saying "I don't care what the outside of my car looks like, because I only see it when I'm getting into my car to go on a drive." True, and guess what, there are people who drive beat-up old POS cars with the mufflers hanging off, and they are perfectly happy as long as it gets them from A to B. But guess what, most people DO care what their car looks like. I DO care that my phone now is as smooth as an iPhone. I saw someone using one the other day on the bus and SPECIFICALLY I noticed how smooth the transitions were on the device. Now my EVO is just as smooth. All day I've been messing with it and this little tweak has significantly improved the aesthetic appeal of the phone. I could go on and on but I think you get my point. Yes, it's not a crucial feature, no, it's not going to revolutionize how people use cellphones, but at the end of a busy, tiring day, it's nice to be able to walk out to the parking deck and take just a minute to appreciate your nice shiny car :)

Do you ever scroll in Gmail? How about the Engadget app or google voice?
Of course I do- but so what have I gained now? 50 milliseconds more in my life every time I scroll in some app?

So what is your point? That it was a pointless update and didn't need to be released? Or what?

No, but my objections are two-fold:

First and most importantly, that I hope HTC didn't spend any significant change working on this non-issue (and presumably/possibly not working out problems with this handset like enhanced BT connectivity or getting us the newer SenseUI, etc.) just because a vocal minority of EVO users complained about it, and secondly, I'm incredulous at all the folks who likened the cap to "crippling" this phone, and how saving a few precious msec swiping the app screens and scrolling now makes what is already a GREAT handset into allegedly a "much better phone". For all we know, this update was really to fix something that really affected other users (like the Calendar Editing fix), but it's been released as the "FPS fix" as if that's really important.

I just only hope that down the line when the handset manufacturers triage the features of what's going into the next-generation of handsets that REAL design issues don't get put off because they'll have a memory of users b!tching about minor stuff like this.

FIRST THING I noticed when using the phone afterwards was that everything felt smoother, and the phone felt a lot faster. I noticed that scrolling through homescreen pages, as well as anything else on the phone, along with any pop-up window animations, etc, felt a lot more fluid.
You should realize a lot of that speed and fluidity (especially for stuff like pop-up window animations, which wouldn't be affected by this cap) came from your reboot.

If you'll go back and browse the forum after the previous update came out, everyone said that it, too, made their phone a lot more faster and fluid too- and that was with the cap. Rebooting these handsets restarts the virtual memory, clears a lot of app caches, etc. and will always make things seem better than a handset that's been running for a while.

You should realize a lot of that speed and fluidity (especially for stuff like pop-up window animations, which wouldn't be affected by this cap) came from your reboot.

If you'll go back and browse the forum after the previous update came out, everyone said that it, too, made their phone a lot more faster and fluid too- and that was with the cap. Rebooting these handsets restarts the virtual memory, clears a lot of app caches, etc. and will always make things seem better than a handset that's been running for a while.

You're saying this to someone who reboots their phone every night.

Of course I do- but so what have I gained now? 50 milliseconds more in my life every time I scroll in some app?

No, but my objections are two-fold:

First and most importantly, that I hope HTC didn't spend any significant change working on this non-issue (and presumably/possibly not working out problems with this handset like enhanced BT connectivity or getting us the newer SenseUI, etc.) just because a vocal minority of EVO users complained about it, and secondly, I'm incredulous at all the folks who likened the cap to "crippling" this phone, and how saving a few precious msec swiping the app screens and scrolling now makes what is already a GREAT handset into allegedly a "much better phone". For all we know, this update was really to fix something that really affected other users (like the Calendar Editing fix), but it's been released as the "FPS fix" as if that's really important.

I just only hope that down the line when the handset manufacturers triage the features of what's going into the next-generation of handsets that REAL design issues don't get put off because they'll have a memory of users b!tching about minor stuff like this.

Theres nothing to support the supposition that any of the "fixes" or time/resource spent are mutually exclusive.

Your arguing the same line that essentially states that since its not important to you, its a wasted effort and then support that argument with theories, all the while invalidating anyone elses experience.

I understand you're firmly planted in the utilitarian camp, nothing wrong with that (though blackberry and 3.7ltr mustangs come to mind) however, why is it so hard to accept that others want both utility as well as asthetics and performance? Dumbing it down to a 50ms argument is absurd.

Android, Sense and Htc hardware provide this, continuously improving integration and performance. No reason to get upset over that. All this update says about HTC is that they do listen and try to deliver whenever possible.

You're saying this to someone who reboots their phone every night.
(Er, why?! ... but anyway ... )

Things like notification popups won't be affected by framerate caps; they're singular renderings and not temporal. A lot of what you think you're seeing is expectations.

(Er, why?! ... but anyway ... )

Ok, more like every other night, lol. Why? The same reason I reboot my computer every day or two. Because I like to know it's not bogged down with crap.

Things like notification popups won't be affected by framerate caps; they're singular renderings and not temporal. A lot of what you think you're seeing is expectations.
I don't care if they are quantum, 4-dimensional, space-monkey renderings, they are much smoother than they were. Perhaps the update solved some other issue my phone was having, but ALL animations I see are a lot smoother. I pointed out above that I had no idea what this update was supposed to do other than what was listed on the update screen, which for me was just a big fix in the calendar and something about G-Mail or something (which I don't use.) I only discovered what else the update did when I went snooping around after noticing how much better the phone ran. So no, it's not my "expectations" that led me to these conclusions. I had none. This was me noticing my phone working a lot better, and finding out why.

Theres nothing to support the supposition that any of the "fixes" or time/resource spent are mutually exclusive.
I build Android handsets for a iiving. You'd be surprised how much compromise has to be done in the engineering stages for a new handset. It wouldn't surprise me that while they were figuring out how to support this minor issue- and not break things while doing so- something else, possibly more important, had to be put off or shelved altogether. It must not have been an easy fix, since they've likely been working on this handset for a year and it took three updates to get it published (... and for those in the "they just stole it from XDA" camp, IIRC the XDA devs couldn't get camera and something else I don't recall working in their uncapped implementation, so more work was needed from HTC to provide a production-quality release.)

Dumbing it down to a 50ms argument is absurd.
But that's really all we gained; "pretty" we might see three times a day, and 50 more msec each time.

Anyway, this horse is dead, dead, dead. Unless someone replies to me specifically I'm out; we all know how we stand on this by now.

But that's really all we gained; "pretty" we might see three times a day, and 50 more msec each time.

Anyway, this horse is dead, dead, dead. Unless someone replies to me specifically I'm out; we all know how we stand on this by now.

Actually, we don't actually gain that 50ms :) FPS means more frames are drawn in the same period of time. The animations are smoother, not faster. If you want faster animations, just swipe your finger faster.

Agreed the horse died a while back.

Since I've gotten this update my phone hasn't been sleeping as much and its awake time is really high with bad battery life. Anyone else getting this?

Since I've gotten this update my phone hasn't been sleeping as much and its awake time is really high with bad battery life. Anyone else getting this?
I'm at 52:01/16:16, so mine's OK.

What I have noticed is the phone app will sometimes FC after a call; that's kind of disturbing.

hmmm, wonder why mine got so slow. scrolling is a lot jerkier and slower. apps taking longer to load. maybe i will let it settle in for a day and see what happens

^Who... who thought it was a good idea to "shake" a phone or device for any reason. ugh... Is there a screen shot app that DOESN'T need a shake.

The phone feels much better... but the battery life has gone out the window. I was getting almost two full days, if putting it in flight mode at night. Now I get barely one.

I've removed a few of the apps that were running in the background, but still no improvement. So all in all, I'm not sure it was worth the trade-off.

So does this improve the 720p video recording at all? To me that is a big outstanding issue with the phone. I'd like to have reasonably useable 720p videos. Right now they all seem to come out too choppy. i'm glad they're still doing updates though even if they didnt fix this major issue yet.

I also would like to know if this is true. Last time i used the 720p to record a video, i immediately deleted it because it was too choppy and i was embarrassed to play it back to my friends and family. (I told them that i accidentaly hit the delete button...lol)

Got the phone Saturday and tested for the problems I've seen on the forum. The streaming audio (using Pandora) was hollow and sputtery, the screen response -touch and scrolling - was jerky.

Applied the update Sunday - what a difference! Pandora worked like it did on my old Hero and the screen response - both in scrolling and finger following - was almost perfect.

Honestly, the comparison before/after is noticable. You just have to know what you're looking for. If where I flick/stroke/slide on the screen is improperly sensed because of a mostly-useless cap, then I'm glad it's been lifted. Getting back streaming audio and the calendar sync is also good.

Now, if they'd just port over Sense 2.0... a girl can dream...

Back
Top Bottom