• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "I received the Htc fps update" thread

So does this improve the 720p video recording at all? To me that is a big outstanding issue with the phone. I'd like to have reasonably useable 720p videos. Right now they all seem to come out too choppy. i'm glad they're still doing updates though even if they didnt fix this major issue yet.

Omg I woke up this morning and turned on 4g for the hell of it and to my surprise i now have 4g in my apartment. This update is getting better and better. I saw some reports of people who didn't have 4g getting it now with the new radio and pri. I am now officially one of them. No more laggy YouTube.....yes.

I can't get this update. I check every day but it won't work. I heard something about checking auto update? Where is that and what else can I do?

I can't get this update. I check every day but it won't work. I heard something about checking auto update? Where is that and what else can I do?

Menu, settings, system updates, HTC software update or firmware update. sometimes you have to do it a couple times. Good luck

I can't get the update either. I have checked every day since the news came out, multiple times a day. Firmware and HTC software check both come up with nothing. :confused:

I just went out and got the latest OTA. Took forever to install...thought it might not recover for a bit there. Anyway my phone is lagging quite badly now. Whenever I move from menu to menu or screen to screen or send a text I get a pop up now that says please wait. It then loads something to 100% and then the screen goes black for a bit and then I'm back to my home screen. I've rebooted and also taken the battery out and did stop the loading 100% thing but is still saying please wait after I attempt to do something.

Same expierence here, very sluggish. If I cannot resolve this is there a way I can go back to the previous frimware .3

Updated mine a few days ago, too. Smoother looking through gallery, but lags inputting text like this within a website, but that its no biggy.

Still can not edit calendar events and that sucks. But a friend with an evo has never had a problem editing calendar events, so maybe I am doing something wrong. He has the opinion to edit and I don't even have that. User error I would guess, I will research.

It was hilarious listening to the naysayers previously that said that unlocking the cap would do nothing that you'd be able to see while swiping.
Hrmph. So, now as long as I'm swiping between screens I can see a slight difference. Oh, and while scrolling webpages. What's that? 1% of my day's activities with my handset?

It's hilarious to me how little impact removing this cap has had with my day-to-day use, and if you read all the "Got the update, what should I be seeing?" as well as "well, it's nice, but no huge change" from folks who didn't realize there was a "problem" with their handsets if they hadn't read it here.

To me it's a step in the right direction for making Android phones smoother and closer to an iPhone like tight experience.

Updated mine a few days ago, too. Smoother looking through gallery, but lags inputting text like this within a website, but that its no biggy.

Still can not edit calendar events and that sucks. But a friend with an evo has never had a problem editing calendar events, so maybe I am doing something wrong. He has the opinion to edit and I don't even have that. User error I would guess, I will research.

He has the option because he is not syncing his calendar. Go into your calendar and go into menu, more, then calendars and you will see check boxes. If you take the check off the one with your email showing, the edit function comes back but now your calendar is not syncing with Google. I have been thinking of going this route myself.

Hope this helps.

Hrmph. So, now as long as I'm swiping between screens I can see a slight difference. Oh, and while scrolling webpages. What's that? 1% of my day's activities with my handset?

It's hilarious to me how little impact removing this cap has had with my day-to-day use, and if you read all the "Got the update, what should I be seeing?" as well as "well, it's nice, but no huge change" from folks who didn't realize there was a "problem" with their handsets if they hadn't read it here.

The majority (almost 2/3) of people who got the update perceive a significant improvement in phone operation. See the poll:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/183600-can-you-see-difference-fps-fix.html

88% of people saw improvement, small or big.

The fix can be observed wherever the screen animates or where you use your finger to move the screen. I'd say it's a lot more than 1% unless all you do is make/receive phone calls.

Yes, this fix is a cosmetic one. It doesn't turn your phone into a fkin jet. But it does give the Evo the polish and refinement it needs to stand up next to other smartphones, like the Epic and the iPhones. And as I recently found out, the original Droid is much slower and choppy than even the stock Evo, so it's all relative. People who've experienced 60fps will think the stock Evo sucks ass. People who come from lesser phones will think the Evo is just fine.

The increase in framerate and touch sensitivity is now there for everyone. Whether you can actually notice/appreciate the increase is what accounts for the different opinions in the poll.

The fix can be observed wherever the screen animates or where you use your finger to move the screen. I'd say it's a lot more than 1% unless all you do is make/receive phone calls.
Hrmph. Here's a sample of what I do with my phone all day, and what the cap removal means to each:

- MixIng (music app). No impact.
- TripIt. No impact.
- K-9 Mail. No impact.
- Gmail. No impact.
- Browser. Minor impact.
- Maps/Navigation. No impact.
- SlingPlayer. No impact.
- Google Voice. No impact.
- Calendar. No impact.
- Endgadet app. No impact.

... and I get/make maybe 2 calls per day. (No impact there, either)

But it sure looks pretty to swipe around the app screens, huh?! 1% of my daily usage. For all those who need that, that's why St. Steve invented the iPhone from on high. Me? I need functionality over pretty screen swipes.

My big objection is where people are saying this FPS increase "makes the phone 100% better" or "night and day difference" which is a total crock of excrement.

I didnt get the OTA update notification for a couple of days so I opted to do it this way a few days ago.

After the update completed and it returned to the bootloader menu, selected reboot now, sense started to continuously crash sticking it in a sense restart loop. I ended up wiping the phone and everything was fine. I assume there was some conflict with something installed, who knows.

I checked and saw no similar situations, so this is just fyi for anyone who encounters the same situation.

Hrmph. Here's a sample of what I do with my phone all day, and what the cap removal means to each:

- TripIt. No impact.
- K-9 Mail. No impact.
- Gmail. No impact.
- Browser. Minor impact.
- Calendar. No impact.

But it sure looks pretty to swipe around the app screens, huh?! 1% of my daily usage. For all those who need that, that's why St. Steve invented the iPhone from on high. Me? I need functionality over pretty screen swipes.

My big objection is where people are saying this FPS increase "makes the phone 100% better" or "night and day difference" which is a total crock of excrement.

Your use-case/experience is unforgiving and intolerant of other's use case.

More than just a few have reported over the months of stalls and sluggishness that may be attributed to to different factors, affecting users differently. If these issues are gone now then yes this update does make a night and day difference.

On the other hand maybe yours is still buggy and therefore dont reap much benefit, who knows, just proposing an observant rather than centric veiwpoint here.

It's nice knowing the cap has been removed, but I don't see any difference in my every day use. But whatevs....at least they're updating stuff.

- TripIt. No impact.
- K-9 Mail. No impact.
- Gmail. No impact.
- Browser. Minor impact.
- Calendar. No impact.

Do you ever scroll in Gmail? How about the Engadget app or google voice? I guess not. Man, you're lucky the screen is big enough where you never have to make it change.

So what is your point? That it was a pointless update and didn't need to be released? Or what?

I didnt get the OTA update notification for a couple of days so I opted to do it this way a few days ago.

After the update completed and it returned to the bootloader menu, selected reboot now, sense started to continuously crash sticking it in a sense restart loop. I ended up wiping the phone and everything was fine. I assume there was some conflict with something installed, who knows.

I checked and saw no similar situations, so this is just fyi for anyone who encounters the same situation.

Glad you didn't freak out. Some people make the wrong moves when things like that happened. I'm glad it worked out. Now you have fps goodness.

When I go to update, it says no update available. My software number says 3.26.651.6 ????

Anyone else? Is it just not available in my area (Columbus Ohio) yet?

(FINALLY showed up after checking manually for update 50 times... 8:17AM EST 9/23/2010)

its available columbus i got it while i was @ walmart on morse rd lol i kno that doesent have anything to do with it

I got it last night. Everything is well. Scrolling seems a little smoother or something or maybe it's all in my head?

Did any in this help batt life? (Not that it's as bad as my Pre was to begin with).

Back
Top Bottom