• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [TMobile] [MOD]App2External_SD (Fixed Duplicate files)

This whole process was a super pain in the ass but it looks like I got things working. It seems like to get everything to work you have to use a few tutorials and just grab parts of each.

1. Install saferoot http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t...things-root/844417-app-root-saferoot-app.html
2. Install lte2recovery.apk http://androidforums.com/metropcs-o...ptimus-f6-recovery-updated-12b-6-17-14-a.html
3. Backup your SD Card to your computer.
4. Follow only Step 1: Partitioning (I made a 4GB ext4 partition) http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t.../812531-guide-lg-optimus-f3-apps-sd-card.html
5. Backup your phone using lte2recovery to your SD Card.
6. Follow all steps http://androidforums.com/tmobile-op...od-app2external_sd-fixed-duplicate-files.html
7. Follow Step 2: Moving Apps http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t.../812531-guide-lg-optimus-f3-apps-sd-card.html
I used the free version of Link2SD for now. If I see the space is wasting up I'll upgrade to the paid version.
Done.

I read a few posts talking about factory resetting the phone. I did not factory reset.

I have the T-Mobile version of the phone and used a 32GB SD card.

Hopefully this will hold me over until there is an update (maybe Kit Kat) that will fix this. If I see this is going to be a constant issue I'll buy another phone. Kind of sucks since I just got this phone and I got the phone before this one 4 months ago.

Also feel free to add any suggestions or comment if I did anything wrong. It looks like it's working for now. It took me about a week of all types of experimenting to get this working. This was my first time rooting an Android phone and I've been using Android since the HTC G1 and I did two phones at once.

Hi there. I was hoping if it was possible for you to help me? I read through the steps and I'm still very unclear of what to do, especially with the .apk file? It's my first time rooting a phone so if you could spare the time to help, that would be great.

The .apk files are Android executable files. Similar to a .exe file in Windows it's allows you to install programs. When you download .apk files off of other websites you have to make sure under Settings > Security you have Unknown Sources checked. That will allow you to run the file.

For saferoot you download the file, install it and then open it. When you open it click on Attempt to get Root. After that is complete press Check Root. If it says you are rooted you are good to go.

For lte2recovery download the file, install it and then open it. Then click Recovery Apply. Then Reboot. When you reboot you should see that now you have a new screen with some options. You're not going to use this program yet so just look for the Restart or Reboot option. This is what you will use to make a backup later.

The other steps are more detailed in the original posts and have step by steps.

If you have any other specific questions feel free to post.

I've also attached screenshots of both of my phones with the space they have now after updating everything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-17-20-18-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-17-20-18-34.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 267
  • Screenshot_2014-06-17-21-15-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-17-21-15-24.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 245
The .apk files are Android executable files. Similar to a .exe file in Windows it's allows you to install programs. When you download .apk files off of other websites you have to make sure under Settings > Security you have Unknown Sources checked. That will allow you to run the file.

For saferoot you download the file, install it and then open it. When you open it click on Attempt to get Root. After that is complete press Check Root. If it says you are rooted you are good to go.

For lte2recovery download the file, install it and then open it. Then click Recovery Apply. Then Reboot. When you reboot you should see that now you have a new screen with some options. You're not going to use this program yet so just look for the Restart or Reboot option. This is what you will use to make a backup later.

The other steps are more detailed in the original posts and have step by steps.

If you have any other specific questions feel free to post.

I've also attached screenshots of both of my phones with the space they have now after updating everything.

Thank you so much.

So I download both saferoot and lte2recovery on my phone itself am I correct? Is there any program that I will use my computer for?

Also if I just use saferoot on my phone, do I still have to download the phone drivers and enable usb debugging?

That is correct. You download both right onto your phone. Then run them from your phone. You don't need any program on your computer. The way I backed up my SD card was that I just drag and dropped my SD card contents onto my computer.

On my phone USB debugging was already enabled. Technically all I did was pull the files off of my SD card, nothing fancy, you don't even need your phone to do that if you have a card reader. If you want to use your phone connected to the computer than you can enable USB debugging. Also if you want to backup your apps with something like Helium https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup than you would need USB debugging enabled.. The drivers are here for the phone in case you need them LG LGD500BK Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

That is correct. You download both right onto your phone. Then run them from your phone. You don't need any program on your computer. The way I backed up my SD card was that I just drag and dropped my SD card contents onto my computer.

On my phone USB debugging was already enabled. Technically all I did was pull the files off of my SD card, nothing fancy, you don't even need your phone to do that if you have a card reader. If you want to use your phone connected to the computer than you can enable USB debugging. Also if you want to backup your apps with something like Helium https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup than you would need USB debugging enabled.. The drivers are here for the phone in case you need them LG LGD500BK Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

Wow I see thanks so much! So basically because I have a card reader, I could just back up the files from the phone onto the sd card after making the partition is that correct? And, why the certain order you have up there? Can't you just root with like saferoot (have you ever heard of towelroot, and if so do you know if that's better?) and then create a partition? (typically, how many partitions are created on the SD card)

The way I did it isn't the right way or the only way. It's just how I got it to work after some frustrating days of messing with both of my phones. I originally followed only the steps in the first post of this thread and it didn't seem to do anything (right after rooting)

The order isn't that important you can actually start with step 3 and then go 1, 2 4, etc... if you really wanted. Step 5 is important because if something goes wrong you have the system file backups on your SD card so of course you have to have your partitions made before that because partitioning deletes the whole SD card.

My SD card only really had music, pictures and videos, it had nothing I considered very important (like system files) on it.

The reason I used saferoot was because I saw a recommendation somewhere when I was researching and they said it was easy to do and it was. I don't know about any other rooting method because this was also my first time.

For the partitions I just followed this one http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t.../812531-guide-lg-optimus-f3-apps-sd-card.html where it says Step 1: Partitioning Your SD Card word for word and created a Fat32 partition that left me 4GB of space and then the ext 4 partition with 4GB of space. Once you use Aparted it will be more clear what I'm saying. It's two partitions in total.

Once I had Link2SD installed at the end I moved all of my Internal apps except for Link2SD and SuperSU (according to the instructions http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t.../812531-guide-lg-optimus-f3-apps-sd-card.html Step 2).

The way I did it isn't the right way or the only way. It's just how I got it to work after some frustrating days of messing with both of my phones. I originally followed only the steps in the first post of this thread and it didn't seem to do anything (right after rooting)

The order isn't that important you can actually start with step 3 and then go 1, 2 4, etc... if you really wanted. Step 5 is important because if something goes wrong you have the system file backups on your SD card so of course you have to have your partitions made before that because partitioning deletes the whole SD card.

My SD card only really had music, pictures and videos, it had nothing I considered very important (like system files) on it.

The reason I used saferoot was because I saw a recommendation somewhere when I was researching and they said it was easy to do and it was. I don't know about any other rooting method because this was also my first time.

For the partitions I just followed this one http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t.../812531-guide-lg-optimus-f3-apps-sd-card.html where it says Step 1: Partitioning Your SD Card word for word and created a Fat32 partition that left me 4GB of space and then the ext 4 partition with 4GB of space. Once you use Aparted it will be more clear what I'm saying. It's two partitions in total.

Once I had Link2SD installed at the end I moved all of my Internal apps except for Link2SD and SuperSU (according to the instructions http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t.../812531-guide-lg-optimus-f3-apps-sd-card.html Step 2).

Wow thanks so much, I really do feel confident about rooting now. Just wondering though, after I root my phone, what are some things I should do to start off?

(also, what should I do to get rid of some bloatware)

like what are roms and kernels?

Really the most important thing is use Link2SD to get stuff off of your phone's memory, that's about it. Do whatever you want after that. I'm not messing around with any ROMs or anything like that, I'm just happy the phone is working without the insufficient memory errors.

I tried the bloatware removal app that's posted on here but it took out to many things to my liking and I had to reset my phone back to the previous version after using the bloatware removal app. For example I wasn't able to play my MP3's the way I use to and there were a few other things. You can easily remove some apps yourself from the menu screen, there is an Edit button in the top right corner that works great.

I'm not messing with any ROMs or kernels. Remember I just did this yesterday so I want to see how it runs for now (running great so far). I'm hoping a good update will get me a cleaner solution in the future, so I don't want to get fancy.

Really the most important thing is use Link2SD to get stuff off of your phone's memory, that's about it. Do whatever you want after that. I'm not messing around with any ROMs or anything like that, I'm just happy the phone is working without the insufficient memory errors.

I tried the bloatware removal app that's posted on here but it took out to many things to my liking and I had to reset my phone back to the previous version after using the bloatware removal app. For example I wasn't able to play my MP3's the way I use to and there were a few other things. You can easily remove some apps yourself from the menu screen, there is an Edit button in the top right corner that works great.

I'm not messing with any ROMs or kernels. Remember I just did this yesterday so I want to see how it runs for now (running great so far). I'm hoping a good update will get me a cleaner solution in the future, so I don't want to get fancy.

Alright well thanks so much for your help. Creating a partition right now, and hopefully gonna use link2sd later on without any problems! Is it not possible to use link2sd to get rid of bloatware?

Link2SD is just moving all of your files to the SD card so they don't hog up space on the phone's built in memory. Try doing it, once you have everything done everything will be more clear.

If you want to remove any other apps do it after you finished getting this done. The phone runs great now and I didn't really remove any "bloatware".

Link2SD is just moving all of your files to the SD card so they don't hog up space on the phone's built in memory. Try doing it, once you have everything done everything will be more clear.

If you want to remove any other apps do it after you finished getting this done. The phone runs great now and I didn't really remove any "bloatware".

So thanks so much and link2sd worked great! So hopefully I don't get any errors later!

But anyways, what should I do about the system applications? And then what should I do about the items that are like "com.xxxxxx" like com.android or com.google , can i link those, or even get rid of those?

But the thing is, after linking some apps... it appears that the memory of my internal storage still hasn't gone down from 794mbs... perhaps I linked them wrong? But all I did was click on them, create a link and pressed as many as I can.

So my internal still says 1.27gbs.

You might have to do it again. I had to redo it until I finally got it right. It should be SD Card at 1.27GB. For Link2SD there is a select all option in the top right corner. Then you just uncheck SuperSU and Create Link for everything else listed as Internal.

You might have to do it again. I had to redo it until I finally got it right. It should be SD Card at 1.27GB. For Link2SD there is a select all option in the top right corner. Then you just uncheck SuperSU and Create Link for everything else listed as Internal.

I'm sorry, but which part do i have to redo again? The whole thing? Or the partition or what?

Also, no matter the size of my sd card, the sd card should still say 1.27gb? is there a reason for that?

And what part of SuperSU do I uncheck?

If your internal doesn't show as more than 1.27GB than you have to start over here http://androidforums.com/tmobile-op...od-app2external_sd-fixed-duplicate-files.html maybe from step 7 or so.

I don't know why the SD card only shows 1.27GB even though I partitioned 4GB, I don't really care as long as everything works.

In Link2SD you uncheck SuperSU so that you don't move it or Create Link for it, so that it stays where it is supposed to.

Alright, so what if I accidentally checked SuperSU, is there a way to delete the link? but so I don't have to restart and reroot everything then.
Also if i have to start over, how should I unlink everything?
phew that's a relief

Also is there a difference between using this and link2sd? Because i currently moved data using link2sd, thinking this was the same method, but if this actually switches my SD and internal memory around I feel like this may be better.

Maybe re-install SuperSU? Or see if there is an option to unlink it. I'm not really sure.

If you have to start over you should have a backup from one of the previous steps so that is possible. Your phone should still be rooted even if you go to the backup.

Link2SD just moves files that normally wouldn't work on the SD to the SD is what I understand from all of this.

With this I can install games like Fifa 14? Increase the size of the internal memory? Forgive me I do not speak English and is difficult to understand all :(

For whatever reason this is not working on my son's Optimus F6. (b12 firmware, but rooted, stock, no Link2SD previously installed)
I followed all the steps, but after rebooting - I see icon in status bar saying scanning SD card content come and go - and nothing changes. SD card is still external.

I ran the shell script from SManager directly myself via built-in mount and busybox mount (btw, it required busybox installed, is that normal?) - and both say file or location not found on "mount commands".
If someone has a suggestion, I'd be really happy to hear it! :)

PS: I've changed SuperSU to install into system... allow super user on boot, allow system root privileges... no luck.

For whatever reason this is not working on my son's Optimus F6. (b12 firmware, but rooted, stock, no Link2SD previously installed)
I followed all the steps, but after rebooting - I see icon in status bar saying scanning SD card content come and go - and nothing changes. SD card is still external.

I ran the shell script from SManager directly myself via built-in mount and busybox mount (btw, it required busybox installed, is that normal?) - and both say file or location not found on "mount commands".
If someone has a suggestion, I'd be really happy to hear it! :)

PS: I've changed SuperSU to install into system... allow super user on boot, allow system root privileges... no luck.

Use Gametheorys guide here

Thanks! I understand Link2SD works different than approach taken here. If Link2SD is the onlu option, then so be it, but I would like to see if someone can help me figure out this specific approach of swapping storages.

A quick update. I did this to two phones and Link2SD. I used the free version of Link2SD. On one of the phones I still have over 700MB of free space because I don't really use it for games or have many apps on it. On the other phone I pretty much ran out of space on the internal storage. After buying Link2SD Plus on that phone I now have over 400MB free since I ended up having to move the app data.

About 1/3 of pics from my last phone is gone and all of my pics from two phones ago are gone. Im not trippin because their all saved on my pc. I didnt use link2sd. I just rooted then ran that script and everything is fine...i think. Except for my pics being deleted. It was after a reboot. Cant find them with root explorer either. Anybody elsehave this problem? Btw....all my music is still there.

About 1/3 of pics from my last phone is gone and all of my pics from two phones ago are gone. Im not trippin because their all saved on my pc. I didnt use link2sd. I just rooted then ran that script and everything is fine...i think. Except for my pics being deleted. It was after a reboot. Cant find them with root explorer either. Anybody elsehave this problem? Btw....all my music is still there.

Maybe this will work

Sorry...i shouldve mentioned i have scanmedia. I was really just wondering if it was gonna happen again. And ive been wondering whats the fuss with lind2sd and partitioning the sdcard. Everything has been working smooth without having to do either of those steps. I even downloaded a huge game and not once have i got the insufficient storage message. Thanks trevor for the reply...im new to the f6 thread

Back
Top Bottom