• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ummm marshmallow for Sprint g stylo?!?!

The real issues with adoptive storage seems to be the fact that when you choose it, your sd card becomes more permanent. It is formatted to ext4 and encrypted. The read writes increase causing the card to wear prematurely and you cannot read it outside your phone so when it dies that's it, you must restore original system and start over. I hope we get root on MM, if not soon, then I'm going drastic and researching a rollback to Lollipop. At least in LP with Link2sd you can take out your card and copy it and read it. Maybe with root we can use Link2sd, but the dev is MIA, since July. It's a mess, now I understand why it is disabled. Even the LG V10 forum guys are slaying Adoptive storage saying it's only useful for low-end phones to augment limited system ram( eprom/rom), cause you chew up your cards and then your stuck.
Your card becomes unusable outside the device because they are encrypted. A low level formating tool can remove the encryption, then you will jave to foemat it again using a regular formatting tool. This all needs to be done on a PC.

Still no Boost Mobile update pushed to my phone yet. I wonder how they segment the release waves - west coast moving east or what?

I was looking through the defconfig files in the stock kernel source for the update. Looks like tmo should be getting a update or atleast it is being worked on cause I found the g4stylusn_tmo_us_defconfig file in arch/arm/configs of the kernel source.

I was looking through the defconfig files in the stock kernel source for the update. Looks like tmo should be getting a update or atleast it is being worked on cause I found the g4stylusn_tmo_us_defconfig file in arch/arm/configs of the kernel source.

It's a good sign but doesn't mean it's a sure thing. The LG volt had a defconfig in the d415 lollipop kernel source(the one that got updated to lollipop,) nothing had changed and the kernel source didn't compile. Did you diff the new defconfig with an older one to see if anything changed?

It's a good sign but doesn't mean it's a sure thing. The LG volt had a defconfig in the d415 lollipop kernel source(the one that got updated to lollipop,) nothing had changed and the kernel source didn't compile. Did you diff the new defconfig with an older one to see if anything changed?
No I have not compared the two defconfig files. And you are right just because the file is there does not mean for certain it is getting updated. But I thought it was worth mentioning

I'm I the only one that has not installed the marshmallow update?
I received the update a few days ago but I've heard so many negative things that I'm holding off on the installation.
Those of you that have already installed, Do you still get the same amount of app storage available? Or is there more app space available to the user than in lollipop?
Thanks

I received the update a few days ago but I've heard so many negative things that I'm holding off on the installation.
Those of you that have already installed, Do you still get the same amount of app storage available? Or is there more app space available to the user than in lollipop?
Thanks

The ROM footprint seems to be about the same size. I've only noticed a small increase in the space remaining for the user. I think the improved performance and memory handling is worth the install.

Thanks
I'm on Boost - still no update notice.

I'm on Virgin Mobile and received the update a few days ago but I'm just not sure if I want to apply (install) the update yet. Cause the phone has been running pretty good so far & I just don't want to do something that I'll regret.
I'm going to wait a little until all the hype dies down & the dust settles to get a better idea of the pros & cons to this update.

I'm on Virgin Mobile and received the update a few days ago but I'm just not sure if I want to apply (install) the update yet. Cause the phone has been running pretty good so far & I just don't want to do something that I'll regret.
I'm going to wait a little until all the hype dies down & the dust settles to get a better idea of the pros & cons to this update.
Did Virgin contact you? I'm still waiting in the Deep South.

Have you checked manually? Via system update/firmware update?

Yes, I do that every few days, but it says no update. I think they do that intentionally so their system doesn't get over loaded with everyone downloading all at the same time. At some point I'm guessing they will turn it back on so you can request it manually. I read in some post on here that something is suppose to happen on the 20th. Maybe that is when they will allow you to request it on your own.

I emailed Boost support about my update notice going away without updating. This is what they said:

"We apologize for the trouble about the Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). In
line with your concern, it looks like the software was released,
possibly being rolled out to customers in waves. If you were not able to
complete it yet, you should be receiving the update notification again
by01/28/2016when the rollout completes."

I emailed Boost support about my update notice going away without updating. This is what they said:

"We apologize for the trouble about the Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). In
line with your concern, it looks like the software was released,
possibly being rolled out to customers in waves. If you were not able to
complete it yet, you should be receiving the update notification again
by01/28/2016when the rollout completes."

Have you tried using the "Boost Zone" app? There's been comments about it possibly being able to activate the update.

Have you tried using the "Boost Zone" app? There's been comments about it possibly being able to activate the update.

I have looked at yesterday and did try the "System Updates", but it did nothing for me. Same as Settings > Update.

Thanks

I'm nearby in Jersey City NJ. Still don't have the update. Wonder if it's because I activated mine just a few days ago. Long time VM user here.
That must be the reason,but you'll defenatly will get it sooner or later.
I'm going to go ahead and install my update to see if my (Android OS) stops hogging up my data.

Back
Top Bottom