• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlimited Tethering for ZTE Zmax Pro MetroPCS/T-Mobile

I know you can't change the TTL on a Console but I feel like there has too be a way around it using a pc and some sorta data redirecting software maybe?

Anything is possible, more will be happen if your phone has root though. If your on the zmax pro like most of us, best currently is sharing it through PC via ethernet. I use wifi to my pc but I dont have a ps4 or console to try and give you my speed details. page 2 or 3, someone has done a linksys router of sorts that ttl is change-able, then router to spread our wifi and/or ethernet. supposedly it had worked but you'd need more equipment.

Upvote 0
Anything is possible, more will be happen if your phone has root though. If your on the zmax pro like most of us, best currently is sharing it through PC via ethernet. I use wifi to my pc but I dont have a ps4 or console to try and give you my speed details. page 2 or 3, someone has done a linksys router of sorts that ttl is change-able, then router to spread our wifi and/or ethernet. supposedly it had worked but you'd need more equipment.

Okay this is going to sound insane but I modded the apn, I'm using foxfi with proxy server on I'm now using the ttl registry tweak as well. I'm currently testing this old linksys router I had in storage for some time its a linksys WAP54G ver 3.1. Very old for some reason I can't get the netgear router to work right. but the traffic I have is being redirected to a tablet and seems to be working I'm going to try the ps4 here soon and post results. for anyone who is interested or needs help could read up on this.

Upvote 0
Okay this is going to sound insane but I modded the apn, I'm using foxfi with proxy server on I'm now using the ttl registry tweak as well. I'm currently testing this old linksys router I had in storage for some time its a linksys WAP54G ver 3.1. Very old for some reason I can't get the netgear router to work right. but the traffic I have is being redirected to a tablet and seems to be working I'm going to try the ps4 here soon and post results. for anyone who is interested or needs help could read up on this.

No success inless someone can tell me or show me how to set it up with a router because It still slow.....it went from 100 too 124 kb but nothing like I'm getting on my tablets and computers.....could someone tell me how to make it work with maybe a netgear? It has more options then my linksys.

Upvote 0
Still can't get the ps4 to work properly I know as the the thread poster had said before that it detects the PSN network.......I try to do a free VPN but I can't find a reliable one and people keep saying that free one's are just not going to work regardless of what I do they say I have to pay for VPN service.......but I think there are other ways I just don't know how too....... I just wanna be able to stream movies and watch youtube maybe update a game or two.

Upvote 0
I can say you've gone into this further then I have. When we get root, then we may be able to add more to WIFI without modifying the TTL. I unfortunately can't even get my kindle fire on my foxfi as i cant change the ttl in it or rather i haven't found an answer without rooting. Messi got the phone a couple days ago, maybe 3-4 days ago. He's working on our root for zmax

Reactions: NeoZiggy
Upvote 0
Just a friendly reminder to all of you that the TTL trick does not work on Windows 10 unless you use USB tethering with FoxFi, which the Zmax Pro does not support.
To get around this I just have a Windows 7 laptop with the TTL mod tethered to my phone and it is hosting it's own wifi network which runs at the same speed as directly tethering to my phone.

Using that method would allow you to use Xbox Live and Playstation Network. If you guys want, I can upload a video to YouTube showing how it works. It's pretty easy if you have a spare router laying around.

Upvote 0
Just a friendly reminder to all of you that the TTL trick does not work on Windows 10 unless you use USB tethering with FoxFi, which the Zmax Pro does not support.
To get around this I just have a Windows 7 laptop with the TTL mod tethered to my phone and it is hosting it's own wifi network which runs at the same speed as directly tethering to my phone.

Using that method would allow you to use Xbox Live and Playstation Network. If you guys want, I can upload a video to YouTube showing how it works. It's pretty easy if you have a spare router laying around.

If you wouldn't mind, it'd be super beneficial to myself and others.

Upvote 0
My best method for tethering :
Do what I did. Get a LG Stylo 2 Plus. Root it and use WifiRouter.apk..I never get throttled nor my hotspot usage is detected.
Settings
Hotspad
Set up your own wifi name and password. Good to go.
Bam internet on the go. My laptop stays on private connection when at starbucks. lol.
Im on the unlimited $55 plan bundled with my wife who pays $45 for unlimited now ..She has the grandfathered plan $50 truly unlimited..
I also tweaked the build.prop net settings an this phone tethering is the Best I've used. 45 mb per second while downloading and 16 MB per second uploading. I downloaded two 78GB utorrent files in 3 hours....Just my tethering experience. Even my steam games and ps4 online play never lags.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My best method for tethering :
Do what I did. Get a LG Stylo 2 Plus. Root it and use WifiRouter.apk..I never get throttled nor my hotspot usage is detected.
Settings
Hotspad
Set up your own wifi name and password. Good to go.
Bam internet on the go. My laptop stays on private connection when at starbucks. lol.
Im on the unlimited $55 plan bundled with my wife who pays $45 for unlimited now ..She has the grandfathered plan $50 truly unlimited..
I also tweaked the build.prop net settings an this phone tethering is the Best I've used. 45 mb per second while downloading and 16 MB per second uploading. I downloaded two 78GB utorrent files in 3 hours....Just my tethering experience. Even my steam games and ps4 online play never lags.

I won't lie. I've considered getting the Stylo 2 just for the root option to use the wifirouter app, but keep the zmax pro until a root is found and confirmed working, then swap over to the zmax as it's the better option between that and stylo 2.

Reactions: jhgfrtu
Upvote 0
Im working on building a custom kernel. from source oc'd to 1.8 as we speak. But ubuntu 16.10 ,jdk build errors are killing me softly. i hit make ARCH=arm
error
you asked for jdk but jre 1.7xx is installed blah blah..
Two days. now and im frustrated. So i will try another linux emulator on my other laptop running windows 10
my main laptop has windows 8.1.

If anyone knows a guide to compile a android kernel with no errors . please post a link . sorry for being of topic.

Upvote 0
I am just using the proxy server with the hotspot in my pull down menu. Works great for everything but downloading updates from PSN, those are still detected. Playing games online however, is not detected. I've been playing GTA and Black Ops online for two months with no detection, my roommate has been doing the same with the assassins Creed games. Downloads from PSN are still counted using this method, but not much of an issue for me anymore, since I fixed the Blu ray drive on my ps3.

Upvote 0
also you could just use the command promt (as admin) and run netsh int ipv4 set glob defaultcurhoplimit= 65 and it will put the value in automatically

So I tried this on Windows 10 before I found out it wouldn't work on 10.

How would I go about un-doing this?

Now it says "no internet access" on my wifi hotspot and USB tethering although pda net works.

Upvote 0
I'm using Windows 8.1 with my TTL changed and connected to the phone over its wifi hotspot. Then I have a Netgear WNR2000 router connected with an ethernet cable and set as a wireless AP sharing the internet from the laptop (which is coming from the phone's hotspot).

My laptop is getting about 23.0 down but any device connected to the router's AP is getting around 0.19 down. QoS is off on everything including router. It's like the laptop is going around the throttle but everything else is getting throttled.... I've read that the TTL mod only effects the host and not connected clients.

Anything I'm missing? Should the router not be in AP mode? Do I need to manually set the IP addresses (DNS, gateway, subnet mask, ect)?

The decreased speeds I cannot explain, if I were you I would fool around with the settings more. I get full download speeds using mine. Crappy wifi cards/ routers do slow things down though. Make sure Wireless N is enabled and that your phone is near the computer. Check your laptop download speeds when on wifi to make sure that the card isn't defective or with bad drivers. I've had issues with USB wifi cards that end up having buggy drivers.

I have the router's DHCP server turned off and still the same results...

Keep DHCP on, it makes things easier without slowing anything down.

I am just using the proxy server with the hotspot in my pull down menu. Works great for everything but downloading updates from PSN, those are still detected. Playing games online however, is not detected. I've been playing GTA and Black Ops online for two months with no detection, my roommate has been doing the same with the assassins Creed games. Downloads from PSN are still counted using this method, but not much of an issue for me anymore, since I fixed the Blu ray drive on my ps3.

Proxy servers ONLY cover HTTP/HTTPS traffic, which 99% of what PSN uses isn't. Online multiplayer, game downloads and more will be detected. The reason you don't see the multiplayer being added is because to actually play online it only uses like what, 2-3KB/PS? You'd have to play all day just to get a few MB of hotspot usage. Hosting a VPN on your phone requires root, so you can't do that. Proxy is good for internet on Google Chrome and such.

So I tried this on Windows 10 before I found out it wouldn't work on 10.

How would I go about un-doing this?

Now it says "no internet access" on my wifi hotspot and USB tethering although pda net works.

Follow the guide again, but instead of adding a new value, just delete the one you made. Just delete "DefaultTTL" from the registry and reboot your PC. Your internet should return to normal.

Upvote 0
Any router will work.
Okay I think I almost have this figured out but I'm running into a small problem.....you said it doesn't work on windows 10 well I my pc here has ubuntu could I do the very same thing you do with windows 7 with a router in Ubuntu? If so how could I go about doing that? I mean I have the connection shared to the router in Ubuntu I have the ps4 connected and yet still I get the same speeds no matter if I'm on windows 10 or ubuntu.....Btw it works on windows 10 I don't know if the router set up will work in windows 10 tho.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones