• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Verizon's RUU for the Official 2.1 for Droid Eris

The silent bug is also when you receive an incoming call, there's no ring and when you answer, you can't hear the other person and the other person can't hear you. The only way to resolve it is to reboot the phone. The bug comes and goes seemingly randomly. I always thought it might be some sort of buffer or memory problem, but who knows...

Upvote 0
Just to clear up some things for those who don't want to, or have reading comprehension problems in this thread.

This "official" release from Verizon for those on Leak v3 is pointless. If you were running the leak v3 before this RUU, then you already have the official ROM from Verizon. This will not make your phone different. People who received the 2.1 ROM via OTA updating do not have a different version of the ROM than somebody running the leak v3. You will receive updates from VZW whether you are on 1.5 or 2.1 regardless of how or when you installed 2.1, or what version of 2.1 you are running. The bootloader has nothing to do with the functioning OS on your phone. All the bootloader does is load the kernel and pass off control of the hardware to the kernel.

Again, if your running the leak v3, you do not need this update. All it will accomplish is a waste of your time reinstalling all your applications.

Reactions: erisuser1
Upvote 0
From what I found. The OTA file is much much lighter (by 20mb or so) from the leaks. that alone would be enough of a reason for some to flash it. With 20 or so apps on the OTA I still had over 100 mb of free space on the phone. With the leak I was always around 70 or 80. I'm not sure what the file size of this RUU update is, but if this is the case I would do it.

Upvote 0
From what I found. The OTA file is much much lighter (by 20mb or so) from the leaks. that alone would be enough of a reason for some to flash it. I'm not sure what the file size of this RUU update is, but if this is the case I would do it.
Your theory is unsubstantiated. It's just packaged differently... The OTA likely also leaves out some files. According to this post at XDA, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=5793684&postcount=1, the OTA actually patches files vs replaces them. That alone can allow for smaller files.

And for what it's worth, the RUU is 124mb. Even bigger than the "leak". Why ? It includes "installer" type files.

Upvote 0
I have downloaded the ruu and tried to let it work but nothing???? I'm on the v2 leak and all the ruu does is say sending it was running over an hour before I brought up task manager to stop the applacation from running when I stoped it it told me the app was not responding?? PLEASE HELP I CAN'T ACCESS ALL APP IN THE MARKET!!

Upvote 0
The Desire "C" or "desirec" is HTC's name for the Eris.

PCD is a phone distributor.

The OTA is smaller because it patches 500+ files rather than replace every file. This is done to conserve VZW's network traffic and also allow the phone software to be upgraded, rather than erased & replaced.

BTW, for the first two OTAs, (Dec 10th and Jan 10th, approx.), the MR1 and MR2 RUUs appeared on PCD's web site simultaneously with the OTA rollout from VZW. As of today - more than a month after the 2.1 OTA, it still has not appeared on PCD's site. I find it rather strange that people call something which shows up on a "leaker" site "Official"

Sigh.

Upvote 0
you can flash all the software or firmware you want, unfortunately the silent bug is a hardware issue and will not be fixed with an update.
^^^I'm not sure I'm buying this answer anymore...

#1. This problem was non-existent in 1.5
#2. I REPLACED my phone and rooted it and am having similar issues.
#3. My phone does not meet the requirements for the bug (date range).

It doesn't make logical sense anymore for this to be a hardware issue. There has to be a pattern or a leak here that hasn't found because the focus has been on the hardware. A possible software compatibility issue? More likely than a hardware issue that didn't surface until 2.1.

Upvote 0
I just want to reiterate that people who are still on "leak v1" or "leak v2" might as well use this to upgrade to v3/OTA. You still can't root, but at least you'll have protected apps back in the Market, pictures in Gmail, and a bunch of other bug fixes. This is the same as installing "leak v3", but a whole lot easier. And when you're done, your phone will be completely identical to Verizon's own 2.1-loaded refurbs.

Upvote 0
I just want to reiterate that people who are still on "leak v1" or "leak v2" might as well use this to upgrade to v3/OTA. You still can't root, but at least you'll have protected apps back in the Market, pictures in Gmail, and a bunch of other bug fixes. This is the same as installing "leak v3", but a whole lot easier. And when you're done, your phone will be completely identical to Verizon's own 2.1-loaded refurbs.

Are you sure its identical? jk :D

guys, thenestor knows what he's talking about...check out this thread for his analysis:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/78692-checksum-proof-2-1-leak-v3-99-identical-ota-2-1-a.html

and another thread over at xda that backs him up:

[FYI] Minor Differences: OTA-2.1 vs. Leak-V3 - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones