• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Verizon's RUU for the Official 2.1 for Droid Eris

I have a rooted eris running 2.1. I AM NOT RUNNING LEAK. I need to put my phone back to 100% stock so I can take it to verizon for a replacement do to a headset issue.

Will this method put be back to stock with the current OFFICIAL OTA 2.1 update, and will it hide all traces that I rooted my phone?
It will wipe the bootloader, and ROM. So basically, yes. It will go back completely to stock.

Upvote 0
I have rooted my leaked phone using the new method and also have done the hboot 1.49 s-off engineering method. All went well. Can I now use this method to change my phone back to stock and will it replace the 1.49 bootloader to the stock one?
Yes it will. The bootloader is one of the first things the RUU flashes, and will change it back to the 1.49 S-ON bootloader.

Upvote 0
Yes it will. The bootloader is one of the first things the RUU flashes, and will change it back to the 1.49 S-ON bootloader.

Does 1.49 S-On mean that I won't be able to receive the OTA updates again? My understanding is that the 1.49 S-On is the big pain we leakers had to deal with. Getting it changed to off was supposed to fix this. Am I just going in circles here?

Upvote 0
Does 1.49 S-On mean that I won't be able to receive the OTA updates again? My understanding is that the 1.49 S-On is the big pain we leakers had to deal with. Getting it changed to off was supposed to fix this. Am I just going in circles here?

wendroid, here's a little semi-history lesson:

The HBOOT version used to delineate which phone could actually root. It was initially just 1.46.0000 and 1.47.0000 HBOOT versions that could root. These HBOOT versions were only present on original 1.5 phones that never leaked or only installed the original 2.1 OTA update.

Then, just a few weeks ago, a timing-sensitive, semi-complicated method for those that installed one of the 2.1 leaks (running a 1.49.0000 bootloader version) worked for about 30-plus folks.

Next, very shortly ago, a new exploit was found that enabled any phone to be rooted, regardless of HBOOT version (and there was much dancing in the streets).

Okay, now about the S-ON and S-OFF settings: S-ON setting stands for "security ON" and S-OFF stands for "security OFF".

The only bootloader that had the S-OFF setting was a leaked 2.1 engineering base root ROM which had a HBOOT version of 1.49.2000 and it was ths base root ROM whose security setting (or lack thereof) allowed one to root "the old fashioned way". Having the S-OFF bootloader simplifies potential recovery scenarios and that's why its recommended for installation if you root "the new (easier) way".

As far as the OTA updates go, virtually all custom ROMs disable the automatic download/installation of an over-the-air update for fear of having VZW/HTC push-out an update that will remove root access.

So, no, if you install a custom ROM, you will no longer get OTA updates. You would have to wait for a ROM developer to incorporate any updates into a new ROM (or, I guess, make an update of his/her own available). This is actually going on right now as the devs are building / tweaking their ROMs to include the latest July 2010 OTA updates.

I wouldn't worry too much about having the OTA updates disabled, because it seems that the new root methods have re-invigorated the developers and they are coming out with new ROMs and updates all of the time (there's been a version of FroYo for the Eris for a long time now (still has bugs, but is better every day)).

You could reset yourself back to stock 2.1 and give yourself just root access without disabling OTA updates... Not sure this would really be worthwhile since it is fairly likely there will be few, if any, future updates from VZW. This is just my opinion since I would, like every, like and hope to see a 2.2 FroYo update come our way at some point in the future.

Does this help? :)

Reactions: blackbrolly
Upvote 0
Scary that is one heck of a spot-on review of the Eris bootloader/root issues !

wendroid I would only add that IF you want an S-OFF bootloader, you may go here
How To Install Engineering bootloader FOR LEAK ROOTERS - xda-developers

I did this in a few minutes (after already rooting) in order to go from S-ON TO S-OFF. Prior to this, I had only used the Android SDK once -- attempting the method Scary mentioned that was successful for approx 30 people (needless to say, I was not one of them).

But I have an "S-OFF" bootloader now thanks to that post.

Upvote 0
I want to clarify that: If you're already on a leak, the RUU does not change your bootloader. However, if you were to use this with HBOOT 1.46 or 1.47 S-ON (Android 1.5 or 2.1OTA) or HBOOT 1.49 S-OFF (root), it would upgrade your HBOOT to 1.49 S-ON, which can't be rooted. Hence, don't use this unless you're already on a leak.

Re-download the file. Make sure it downloads completely.

No, you run this on a Windows 32-bit computer with your phone attached via USB. This is the software they use at Verizon if you return your phone or ask them to upgrade it. (This is also what they ran on those 5/15/10 refurbs that are going out with 2.1 already on them.)

If you're on v3, there's absolutely no reason to run this unless you want the psychological feeling of a "fresh start."

thenestor;875884

I appreciate your updated post. I was trying to update my Eris for the Leak v2 to the "original" OS for the Eris and wasn't able to do it until I read your post on using the 32 bit version of Windows. I have Win 7 Pro 64 bit on my laptop and I also have an older Laptop with XP 32 bit version. That was exatly what I needed to make it happen.

I have not had an OTA update since I upgraded to the Leak v2. That is why I went with the "official" version. It has made a huge difference. Yes, it wiped my phone but that's fine. I can always reinstall my pervious settings.

Thank so much for your knowledge and help.

Debtfree (Gregg)

Upvote 0
im trying to get back to stock and found the RUU for the desire but i keep getting an error when trying to update the signiture... error 401 i think... i need to get back to stock to return my phone and cant use SDK on my work comp... is there a way to unroot without SDK? i tried flashing a retro rom i found and it tells me i need to update to 2.1 and it downloads the file but when it goes to load it the custom recovery stops the update? is there a rom aout there i can flash that will make me loose root and able tp update to current version?

Upvote 0
im trying to get back to stock and found the RUU for the desire but i keep getting an error when trying to update the signiture... error 401 i think... i need to get back to stock to return my phone and cant use SDK on my work comp... is there a way to unroot without SDK? i tried flashing a retro rom i found and it tells me i need to update to 2.1 and it downloads the file but when it goes to load it the custom recovery stops the update? is there a rom aout there i can flash that will make me loose root and able tp update to current version?

Saw your thread over on XDA as well.

So, here's the deal: if you get a "version error" using either the RUU or the Leak-V3 PB00IMG.ZIP (HBOOT method), then you need to first perform the fix-up which is documented in Jcase's thread on XDA:

HowTo: Flash Any Ruu - xda-developers

Note that there is a mistake in his instructions, use the correction below:

Code:
adb push flash_image /data/local/flash_image
adb push misc.img /data/local/misc.img
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/flash_image
adb shell /data/local/flash_image misc [COLOR=green][B]/data/local/[/B][/COLOR]misc.img

Note that if you have previously tried using the RUU, then your PC already has the required USB drivers installed to be able to communicate with the phone using ADB; all you need to do is download the Android SDK and unpack/unzip it to have access to the "adb" program (in the "tools" folder of the SDK). You also need to have "USB debugging" turned on from the phone, and the USB cable plugged in.

After you have accomplished the above steps, the most sure-fire way to get back to stock is to use the HBOOT+PB00IMG.ZIP method using the Leak-V3 PB00IMG.ZIP file.

There is a reason why I am recommending this, and it is also the same reason why Jcase's post on XDA has a slightly misleading title: the method he put together allows any PB00IMG.ZIP file to work with HBOOT, but not necessarily a RUU (.exe) utility. The reason for this is that the RUU utility relies on a specific version of the "reboot" program to place the phone into "oem-78" (or RUU) mode, and many dev roms do not have the correct "reboot" program to perform that action... so, getting "any RUU" to work means that you also would need to flash a dev ROM such as Ivanmmj's "Official" 1.0, or jcase's "Plain Jane" so that the correct "reboot" program is present.

Note that while I will guarantee that the above steps will produce the result you want (and immediately after booting up the Leak-V3 ROM, the phone will prompt you to install the July 2010 OTA), I did not provide you "spoon to mouth" instructions - you need to do an insignificant amount of searching and reading to find the correct files and read the right posts.

eu1

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Saw your thread over on XDA as well.

So, here's the deal: if you get a "version error" using either the RUU or the Leak-V3 PB00IMG.ZIP (HBOOT method), then you need to first perform the fix-up which is documented in Jcase's thread on XDA:

HowTo: Flash Any Ruu - xda-developers

Note that there is a mistake in his instructions, use the correction below:

Code:
adb push flash_image /data/local/flash_image
adb push misc.img /data/local/misc.img
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/flash_image
adb shell /data/local/flash_image misc [COLOR=green][B]/data/local/[/B][/COLOR]misc.img

Note that if you have previously tried using the RUU, then your PC already has the required USB drivers installed to be able to communicate with the phone using ADB; all you need to do is download the Android SDK and unpack/unzip it to have access to the "adb" program (in the "tools" folder of the SDK). You also need to have "USB debugging" turned on from the phone, and the USB cable plugged in.

After you have accomplished the above steps, the most sure-fire way to get back to stock is to use the HBOOT+PB00IMG.ZIP method using the Leak-V3 PB00IMG.ZIP file.

There is a reason why I am recommending this, and it is also the same reason why Jcase's post on XDA has a slightly misleading title: the method he put together allows any PB00IMG.ZIP file to work with HBOOT, but not necessarily a RUU (.exe) utility. The reason for this is that the RUU utility relies on a specific version of the "reboot" program to place the phone into "oem-78" (or RUU) mode, and many dev roms do not have the correct "reboot" program to perform that action... so, getting "any RUU" to work means that you also would need to flash a dev ROM such as Ivanmmj's "Official" 1.0, or jcase's "Plain Jane" so that the correct "reboot" program is present.

Note that while I will guarantee that the above steps will produce the result you want (and immediately after booting up the Leak-V3 ROM, the phone will prompt you to install the July 2010 OTA), I did not provide you "spoon to mouth" instructions - you need to do an insignificant amount of searching and reading to find the correct files and read the right posts.

eu1

i have gone through all the steps and all goes good till i get to the last line and then i get a error... "error writing misc: permission denied"??

Upvote 0
i have gone through all the steps and all goes good till i get to the last line and then i get a error... "error writing misc: permission denied"??

I assume that you are saying that this happens when you are using an ADB shell when Clockwork recovery is booted (please correct me if I am mistaken in that assumption).

If you just type "adb shell" under those circumstances, do you get a "#" command prompt, or a "$" prompt? If it is the latter, can you "su" to get a root shell? (Sorry, I have never used Clockwork, so I don't know what capabilities it provides you.)

If that is the issue, run the flash_image command from a su (#) prompt.

eu1

Upvote 0
when i do that i get su permission denied... does this mean i dont have root anymore? cuz i still have the custom recovery...? i just need to send my phone in for warranty replacement... do they check for things like this when you send a phone in? if not i might not worry about it...

You have to perform that flash_image command from a root shell. If you have Amon_RA still on your phone, adb will work with it, and you can run flash_image from Amon_RA. When you "log in" via adb shell to Amon_RA, you get a root shell automatically.

As a matter of fact, you don't even need to push "flash_image" to Amon_RA, it is already there in Amon_RA. Just get the "misc.img" file pushed to the phone anywhere - for instance to the SD card, and run the command

Code:
C:\blah\tools> adb push misc.img /sdcard/misc.img
C:\blah\tools> adb shell flash_image misc /sdcard/misc.img

Upvote 0
You have to perform that flash_image command from a root shell. If you have Amon_RA still on your phone, adb will work with it, and you can run flash_image from Amon_RA. When you "log in" via adb shell to Amon_RA, you get a root shell automatically.

As a matter of fact, you don't even need to push "flash_image" to Amon_RA, it is already there in Amon_RA. Just get the "misc.img" file pushed to the phone anywhere - for instance to the SD card, and run the command

Code:
C:\blah\tools> adb push misc.img /sdcard/misc.img
C:\blah\tools> adb shell flash_image misc /sdcard/misc.img

it lets me push it to the sd card but i still get permission denied when i try to adb shell...

Upvote 0
I'm running the v2 leak version. I downloaded the RUU file, and when I tried to run it, I got the following error message:

>Setupnew\setup.cpp(140)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:
PGUID:
$
@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600)
IE Version: 6.0.2900.5512

Anyone wiser than me have any ideas?

Just a guess, but I Googled this and found references other folks had on gaming sites and it was due to incomplete downloads of their files that they were trying to run.

Is your file size for the RUU (RUU_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.36.605.1_release_signed_with_driver.exe) this: 130,323,038 bytes? (that's what my copy is; and the MD5 sum is 74035b1685b279b1aa4f17fafdbec78b).

Upvote 0
Just a guess, but I Googled this and found references other folks had on gaming sites and it was due to incomplete downloads of their files that they were trying to run.

Is your file size for the RUU (RUU_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.36.605.1_release_signed_with_driver.exe) this: 130,323,038 bytes? (that's what my copy is; and the MD5 sum is 74035b1685b279b1aa4f17fafdbec78b).

Looks like the download did in fact get cut off early. Redownloading it now. Thanks scary!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones