• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Android 4.4.4 d2lte Nightlies

I ran this all day yesterday and had no problems with GPS. Are you using the latest GAPPS package? The Location Settings permissions have recently changed.

Just flashed 10/25 mini, still no gps looking like I'm going to have to
update my bootloader if I want to flash newer roms and have gps.

You may want to add the BLISS STALK ROM to the list in the OP. I'm running it right now and it's doing well. I've only tested it for about an hour but calls are clear and what I've tested works.

BLISS STALK ROM -

[ROM][OFFICIAL][4.4.4.001] Bliss Stalk by Te… | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III | XDA Forums

I found this yesterday morning also and ran it all day. I think it's based on the BeanStalk ROM. Seemed very stable. Everything worked great for me. I was going to post this after running it, so you saved me from having to find the link again. I posted it to the list.

I posted the Quantum ROM to the list also. I've been holding on to it for a while. I figured since Android 5.0 is coming soon, I'd add it to the list in case people are interested in using it.

I also posted a bunch of unofficial builds also. One is the Unofficial CM11 Mastamoon d2lte builds. Mastamoon added some customizations, above and below the surface. Another is the Graphene ROM d2lte build, which is an unofficial and optimized Carbon ROM d2lte build. And lastly, I posted an unofficlal Mahdi ROM d2lte build that came out today. It's what I'm currently running. The developer for this build optimized the CyanogenMod kernel so it would run ART by default. So, don't flash a custom kernel with it. It's a very stable and smooth build. My battery life seems to be greatly improved compared to using ROMs with Dalvik. I've been running the Mahdi build for 4+ hours and my battery percentage is at 70%. Normally, it would be around 50% or lower. I really like that this build has the OmniROM status/navigation bar dynamic color changer built in. Works so much better than Paranoid Android's Dynamic Status Bar. These builds are in the Unofficial Builds section.

I found the links to dkp and KTOONSEZ kernels and posted then under the AOSP d2lte Kernels section.

Just flashed 10/25 mini, still no gps looking like I'm going to have to
update my bootloader if I want to flash newer roms and have gps.

I ran into this problem last month with data. Any build that was made later than the first half of the month, my data wouldn't work, no matter which ROM I was using. I updated to the ND8 bootloader and modem to get data running. You might have to update to get GPS working.

There is a new semi official nightly build of aokp. The developers have been around for a long time. I expect great things. [SEMI-OFFICIAL] [ROM] AOKP Nightlies (actual… | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III | XDA Forums

Thanks for the link to this. It's great there are AOKP nightlies instead of making builds every now and then. Shows they are more maintained than the official builds. I posted the link in the Unofficial Builds section.

Also, Alex Cruz released a Dirty Unicorns ROM 8.1 d2lte test builds yesterday. Alex Cruz's builds are very stable and smooth. Don't be alarmed that the are 'test' builds. Joe Carbone also made a DU 8.1 d2lte build, so it's great having 2 devs making d2lte builds. 8.1 is the last DU KitKat build before Android 5.0. I hope these 2 keep making d2lte builds with the Android 5.0 transition.

I was going to play around with the Mahdi rom yesterday but it seems that the link that you have listed just loops back to this thread. Or maybe I was just unable to find a download.

I was going to play around with the Mahdi rom yesterday but it seems that the link that you have listed just loops back to this thread. Or maybe I was just unable to find a download.

That was strange. I got the link fixed. Also, the same developer made an unofficial Mahdi ROM 2.9 build. It's working good.

An Android 5.0 GAPPS package came out today. Flashed it to see if it works and it does. It should work with whatever Android 4.4.4 ROM you're using. I posted the link in the list. If we do end up getting Android 5.0 d2lte ROMs, at least we have an GAPPS package to use.

Just found another unofficial Dirty Unicorns 8.1 d2lte build that came out today. This time made by a dev named Kasey Jones. It's the 3rd unofficial DU d2lte 8.1 build, which is nice because it shows that devs still have an interest in the GS3. The link is in the Unofficial Builds section.

Just a reminder that I found the Android 5.0 GAPPS package. Just flash it with the ROM and it will work. Currently using it now. Works great. You should be able to dirty flash it. That's what I did.

Just found another unofficial Dirty Unicorns 8.1 d2lte build that came out today. This time made by a dev named Kasey Jones. It's the 3rd unofficial DU d2lte 8.1 build, which is nice because it shows that devs still have an interest in the GS3. The link is in the Unofficial Builds section.

Just a reminder that I found the Android 5.0 GAPPS package. Just flash it with the ROM and it will work. Currently using it now. Works great. You should be able to dirty flash it. That's what I did.
My google account keeps getting a sync error with the 5.0 gapps. I dirty flashed over pa and pa gapps. I will try again on a clean install when I figure what ROM to try next.

I did a clean install of mahdi and still can't get Google to sync with 5.0 gapps

That's crazy. I was able to flash it just fine. I guess these are experimental GAPPS. Don't know why it wouldn't be working.

I fixed the links for the Android 5.0 GAPPS. I still had them on my phone. So, I uploaded them to my Mediafire account and posted the link. There are 2 Android 5.0 GAPPS. One came out on 10/28 and the other came out on 10/30. If these GAPPS packages don't work and you still want Android 5.0 apps, I did post a link that has a list of individual Android 5.0 apps to download and install.

That's crazy. I was able to flash it just fine. I guess these are experimental GAPPS. Don't know why it wouldn't be working.

I fixed the links for the Android 5.0 GAPPS. I still had them on my phone. So, I uploaded them to my Mediafire account and posted the link. There are 2 Android 5.0 GAPPS. One came out on 10/28 and the other came out on 10/30. If these GAPPS packages don't work and you still want Android 5.0 apps, I did post a link that has a list of individual Android 5.0 apps to download and install.
Thank you for that. I had the 10/28 ones. I will try the 10/30. Its not a huge deal, I just like experimenting.

BTW, mahdi 2.9 is running really good so far

Thank you for that. I had the 10/28 ones. I will try the 10/30. Its not a huge deal, I just like experimenting.

BTW, mahdi 2.9 is running really good so far

I'm using Mahdi 2.9 also. I am enjoying it. Been running it for a few days and, knock on wood, haven't had any forced reboots yet. Just about one of the smoothest ROM builds I've used. I actually can't believe I've stuck it out this long without flashing to a different ROM or build. I usually get the urge to try something new after a day or 2. And thanks to the ROM Settings Backup app, flashing ROMs has become a whole lot easier.

Which rom has working GPS >_<

I'm currently using the Mahdi ROM 2.9 build and GPS is working for me. I've also used the latest Dirty Unicorns build and AICP. GPS has been working for me.

It's weird. There are several people who have been having problems with GPS lately. I don't know if you use Xposed Frameworks. There's a module called Disable Location Permissions. I've used it. If you use that module, stop using it. Google's location permissions have changed. Plus, it allows you to remember the location settings so it won't show every time you turn on GPS.

You might want to upgrade your modem. In the last couple months, there was a problem with GS3 connecting to data. Not just Virgin Mobile GS3, but of all carriers. The solution was to upgrade the modem. Upgrading your modem might help GPS to work also.

I'm currently using the Mahdi ROM 2.9 build and GPS is working for me. I've also used the latest Dirty Unicorns build and AICP. GPS has been working for me.

It's weird. There are several people who have been having problems with GPS lately. I don't know if you use Xposed Frameworks. There's a module called Disable Location Permissions. I've used it. If you use that module, stop using it. Google's location permissions have changed. Plus, it allows you to remember the location settings so it won't show every time you turn on GPS.

You might want to upgrade your modem. In the last couple months, there was a problem with GS3 connecting to data. Not just Virgin Mobile GS3, but of all carriers. The solution was to upgrade the modem. Upgrading your modem might help GPS to work also.

upgrading my modem? what? what is that how do I know if mines out dated and which one is the current one? :'c

(oh wait just kidding i did some research so Sprint MK3 Modem or virgin mobiles MK5 Modem?)

upgrading my modem? what? what is that how do I know if mines out dated and which one is the current one? :'c

(oh wait just kidding i did some research so Sprint MK3 Modem or virgin mobiles MK5 Modem?)

MK5 and the MK3 modems are for the older 4.3 builds or earlier.
Boost/VM modem is NDC and Sprint is ND8 for 4.4.2. If you are running the 4.4.2 update DO NOT flash MK3 or the MK5 modem. There's a very good chances you will brick your phone.

I don't know what build your are running, 4.3 or 4.4.2 now so I thought I would mention it. :thumbup:

so i am fine on just flashing the rom? and the kernel? my base is newer then mk5?

hoping i clear some worry's about ndc?

MK5 and the MK3 modems are for the older 4.3 builds or earlier.
Boost/VM modem is NDC and Sprint is ND8 for 4.4.2. If you are running the 4.4.2 update DO NOT flash MK3 or the MK5 modem. There's a very good chances you will brick your phone.

I don't know what build your are running, 4.3 or 4.4.2 now so I thought I would mention it. :thumbup:

my base is ndc and rom is 4.4.2 (came this way)
the root and the cwm phils for mk5 is still working. ran fine on my ndc, my stock rom has no issues at all. mms / lte both work
buildinfo.jpg

Ok, I understand now. You are actually running the new 4.4.2 bootloader with an older version of Philz. That's cool however I highly recommend upgrading to the latest version of Philz Recovery.

All you need to do is go to this link

https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2lte/

and download this version. Make sure it says zip only at the end.

philz_touch_6.48.4-d2lte.zip

Place on your Internal or external SD card and flash with your current recovery. Let if finish and then go to your boot options. Choose reboot recovery and you'll be running the newest Philz Recovery. That is only if you need to use recovery after flashing it. If not just tap reboot. The next time you enter Philz you'll be running the latest version.

I just wanted to make sure you weren't running the older 4.3 bootloader. Several developers bricked their 4.4.2 bootloaders trying to flash the older MK3 and MK5 modems. As long as you are running NDC or ND8 your fine. The ND8 modem can run on Boost and Virgin Mobile as long as you're running a custom kernel.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of it or not but this will be Philz last build as it stands right now. I hate it because Philz is my favorite recovery. We'll have to cross the recovery bridge when the new updated Android builds start coming out. Hopefully Philz will still work. If not we'll have to find an alternative.

Hope this info helps clear things up.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom