• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Android 4.4.4 d2lte Nightlies

so i can just flash the kernel, and apn patch if need? like dkp?
i am also guessing the ndc is boot loader free of knox, never remember seeing it in odin mode

so i can just flash the kernel, and apn patch if need? like dkp?
i am also guessing the ndc is boot loader free of knox, never remember seeing it in odin mode

If flashing aosp ROM, then yes flash kernel of choice and APN fix.

NDC bootloader contains Knox. So once you update to NDC do not attempt to downgrade your bootloader, you will have a brick. But other than that, Knox is not a problem.

I found the final Gummy ROM d2lte build over in XDA. I posted the link in the list. Unfortunately, Team Gummy had to quit making ROMs. So, there won't be any more updates. I've never had any problems with Gummy ROM. Always been stable and smooth. Even though the build was released almost a month ago, I think it would be good enough as a daily driver or just a ROM to experiment with.

why would i need too? plus it comes ndc now, all new boxed phones will be ndc for vm

He was just giving you a heads up. Some people had tried flashing the older MK3 and MK5 modems on the 4.4.2 bootloader and bricked their phones.

As for Knox and your carrier is VM or Boost, once you're running the 4.4.2 bootloader with the NDC modem, you've got Knox. There's no way around it. Trust me. Developers worked on it for weeks and Knox is so deeply embedded in the system that is pretty much impossible to remove. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen anyone make a post about attempting to remove Knox in many months. Too many people were bricking their phones.

Knox is here to stay for now. In my opinion, it's really not a big deal either. Just be very careful what you flash and make sure the ROM or kernel is for your S3 model or the d2lte unified builds. Once you've flashed a recovery, custom ROM, or kernel, Knox will be tripped and bye bye warranty. There was a way to root without tripping Knox by using Towelroot but what's the fun in that? I don't know about you but I want to get the most out of my phone and run custom ROMs and kernels.

Yes I am one of those that flashed an older modem and bricked.Was an expensive mistake but got to learn some where.

Yes I am one of those that flashed an older modem and bricked.Was an expensive mistake but got to learn some where.

Indeed. I've never bricked a device but I've sure have to work my butt off to save a few. Those are the lessons you never forget. Sorry to hear about the brick man. These phones aren't cheap. Look at it on the bright side. At least it wasn't a $600 S5. :eek:

honestly i can just brick the whole device if i need warranty, 0 out the flash entirly, no prove.why i didnt care about tripping knox

How can we know what type of bootloader we have?

Well, if you don't know if your phone came with it from the factory, didn't manually flash it with Odin, you accepted the OTA update, or you purchased your phone used and you are unsure of what the original owner may have done with it, all you need to do is check the following.

Open your phone's settings, go to About Phone and look under Baseband version. If the last 3 letters/numbers are NDC or ND8 then you are running the 4.4.2 bootloader. Boost comes with NDC and Sprint comes with ND8. It is possible for a Boost phone to run the ND8 baseband but only if the phone is running a custom kernel. Also, just to clarify things in case you don't know, the baseband is actually the modems you may have already read about in other posts.

NOTE!!!!!!!

Tri-band versions of the S3 have different basebands. It is easy to find out whether you have a Tri-band phone or not. Remove the back of your phone and the battery. There will be a white sticker with black writing on it. It contains your phone model along with other information pertaining to you device. If you see SPH-L710 then you have a standard Boost S3. If it reads SPH-L710L then your phone is a Tri-band model.

There is a thread in the Boost section where members are discussing the Tri-band model. You can find out the baseband for the Tri-band there.

I hope this info has helped answer your question and more.

triband? can i check with out taking apart my phone? i have otterbox on, and keeping the screen clean while you put it on cant be an pain, making sure its dust free then i put it together i have my box still.

i see sph-l710avb

triband? can i check with out taking apart my phone? i have otterbox on, and keeping the screen clean while you put it on cant be an pain, making sure its dust free then i put it together i have my box still.

i see sph-l710avb

Yes. It's easy too. Follow the steps I mentioned earlier and see what baseband you are running. If you are running the NDC or ND8 baseband then you are running the 4.4.2 update. If the last 3 letters/numbers are MK3 or MK5 then you are on the old bootloader. If any of those basebands are shown then you do not have the Tri-band model.

Yeah, Mahdi 2.9 is the best ROM I have tried so far. My battery lasts for ever. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the info. I've been running Bliss and loving it but I'm a flasher and I'm always looking to try a new ROM. Especially when a person speaks so highly of it. I do believe I'll give Mahdi 2.9 a try tonight. Thank you for sharing your info. :thumbup:

you misunderstood my question i know my baseband, tri band

Sorry about that. I actually read back a few pages and saw your screenshot showing you have NDC.

You mentioned NDC, Tri-band. Are you saying you're running a Tri-band phone with the NDC modem? Just curious because the info I read stated Tri-band phones have different modems.

I decided to add an app to the list called MirrorEnabler. It actually works on all rooted Android smartphones/tablets. What it does is allow you to mirror your entire display to your TV through your Chromecast if you have one. KitKat has built-in Chromecast support so you don't need the Chromecast app in order to cast content using Netflix, Play Music, Hulu Plus, etc. KitKat also comes with built-in mirroring capability as well. For some reason, we're not able to mirror with the AOSP ROMs in this list. Using the MirrorEnabler app, you'll be able to mirror your display to your TV through the Chromecast.

I decided to add an app to the list called MirrorEnabler. It actually works on all rooted Android smartphones/tablets. What it does is allow you to mirror your entire display to your TV through your Chromecast if you have one. KitKat has built-in Chromecast support so you don't need the Chromecast app in order to cast content using Netflix, Play Music, Hulu Plus, etc. KitKat also comes with built-in mirroring capability as well. For some reason, we're not able to mirror with the AOSP ROMs in this list. Using the MirrorEnabler app, you'll be able to mirror your display to your TV through the Chromecast.
Mirror enabler has worked with every aosp and cm ROM I have tried, on liquid smooth it would only work if I didn't do the force close fix. Just make sure you reinstall it every time you flash a new ROM, I have had problems running it from a backup

I have Chromecast. Will this enable games and such to be mirrored to the TV? If so, this will be awesome!

It's been awhile since I last checked on full mirroring with Chromecast. Only a few devises were supported at that time though. Unfortunately the S3 was not among those listed. I have been able to mirror YouTube and Netflix with the built-in Chromecast feature. I also have AllCast which I was able to play personal movies from my phone but most of the time they would lag. It's been awhile since I've used it too. Koush was still working the bugs out.

I have Chromecast. Will this enable games and such to be mirrored to the TV? If so, this will be awesome!

It's been awhile since I last checked on full mirroring with Chromecast. Only a few devises were supported at that time though. Unfortunately the S3 was not among those listed. I have been able to mirror YouTube and Netflix with the built-in Chromecast feature. I also have AllCast which I was able to play personal movies from my phone but most of the time they would lag. It's been awhile since I've used it too. Koush was still working the bugs out.
Yes you can mirror games, you mirror your whole screen. There is some lag, the stock Roms seem to have the least lag. Try without the fc fix first, and if it doesn't work, use the fc fix. Sometimes it will also take an additional reboot to work also

My blue ray player has miracast. I mirror all content from my phone to my TV. Although my nexus 7 does a better job than my s3. Lol.

In my opinion, I think Localcast works better than Allcast. At least, I've had less problems casting local content using Localcast. I've barely had any lag using Localcast.

And yes, you can mirror games and everything else on your phone through Chromecast using MirrorEnabler. There's also a way to connect a PS3 controller to your smartphone/tablet using the Sixaxis Controller app. In that sense, I think your phone becomes better than the Nexus Player. Especially since the Nexus Player only has 8GB of storage.

Side note, you do have to reinstall the MirrorEnabler app after every ROM install. I use Titanium Backup to backup/restore my apps. I wipe the data for MirrorEnabler after it's restored and open the app to follow the process to get it working. After doing that, you'll be able to mirror again. I just wanted to add this app because KitKat is supposed to be able to mirror natively but we can't for some reason.

Yes you can mirror games, you mirror your whole screen. There is some lag, the stock Roms seem to have the least lag. Try without the fc fix first, and if it doesn't work, use the fc fix. Sometimes it will also take an additional reboot to work also

In my opinion, I think Localcast works better than Allcast. At least, I've had less problems casting local content using Localcast. I've barely had any lag using Localcast.

And yes, you can mirror games and everything else on your phone through Chromecast using MirrorEnabler. There's also a way to connect a PS3 controller to your smartphone/tablet using the Sixaxis Controller app. In that sense, I think your phone becomes better than the Nexus Player. Especially since the Nexus Player only has 8GB of storage.

Side note, you do have to reinstall the MirrorEnabler app after every ROM install. I use Titanium Backup to backup/restore my apps. I wipe the data for MirrorEnabler after it's restored and open the app to follow the process to get it working. After doing that, you'll be able to mirror again. I just wanted to add this app because KitKat is supposed to be able to mirror natively but we can't for some reason.

Great info guys. Thanks a million. Like I mentioned earlier, I've used Chromecast to broadcast the older Chromecast supported apps like YouTube but I've never actually mirrored games. Apps like YouTube have the option to broadcast with Chromecast. I'll use everything mentioned and get it figured out. Man oh man...... I'm STOKED!! Time to get this bad boy figured out. I'm running Bliss right now and will give it a try with it.

Any other tips on mirroring that you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing the info guys. This just made my day! :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom