• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Android 4.4.4 d2lte Nightlies

Great info guys. Thanks a million. Like I mentioned earlier, I've used Chromecast to broadcast the older Chromecast supported apps like YouTube but I've never actually mirrored games. Apps like YouTube have the option to broadcast with Chromecast. I'll use everything mentioned and get it figured out. Man oh man...... I'm STOKED!! Time to get this bad boy figured out. I'm running Bliss right now and will give it a try with it.

Any other tips on mirroring that you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing the info guys. This just made my day! :D:D:D

With the Chrome browser and/or the Web Video Caster apps, you can cast pretty much any video on the internet. Amazon just released their Prime Instant Video app for Android, although I think you need the Amazon Appstore to download it. You can't cast using Chromecast yet, but you can mirror it to your TV using MirrorEnabler.

I need to get back to my flashing addiction. I have just stayed on one ROM for a while. Btw, anyone on the $35 plan get upgraded to unlimited voice minutes?

I only use >100 minutes a month, I'll stick with extra data

How are you getting extra data? My wife is on $35 plan and she gets same data as my $45 plan. 2.5 GB full speed then unlimited throttling. I get 1200 minutes she gets 300.

How are you getting extra data? My wife is on $35 plan and she gets same data as my $45 plan. 2.5 GB full speed then unlimited throttling. I get 1200 minutes she gets 300.
You only get 250 mb of data before throttling on the unlimited data plan
1ad8734d3ca713d092c7095169a3a860.jpg

Wow I just checked, they did change the plans.
Update: OK mine didn't change. $45= 1200 minutes and 2.5gb of high speed 4G

Huh, didn't know about the new $35 plan. I stick with Hangouts with Hangouts Dialer if I'm not on wifi and low on minutes. I don't really use much of the data..I usually hit like 250MB out of the 2.5GB.

On topic, I think I should finally use a rom that isn't TouchWiz. I just don't know where to start with so many roms listed.

In my opinion, I think Localcast works better than Allcast. At least, I've had less problems casting local content using Localcast. I've barely had any lag using Localcast.

And yes, you can mirror games and everything else on your phone through Chromecast using MirrorEnabler. There's also a way to connect a PS3 controller to your smartphone/tablet using the Sixaxis Controller app. In that sense, I think your phone becomes better than the Nexus Player. Especially since the Nexus Player only has 8GB of storage.

Side note, you do have to reinstall the MirrorEnabler app after every ROM install. I use Titanium Backup to backup/restore my apps. I wipe the data for MirrorEnabler after it's restored and open the app to follow the process to get it working. After doing that, you'll be able to mirror again. I just wanted to add this app because KitKat is supposed to be able to mirror natively but we can't for some reason.

1st off, thanks for your continued help. Unfortunately I still have a few questions.

In the Mirror Enabler thread there is a note for Samsung devices. It says "to enable Chromecast mirroring on a TouchWiz ROM, follow the guide below:
(For Samsung Devices ONLY!)

Go to system/etc/wdfconfig.xml
Find the following lines:*
1*(Change this 1 to a 0 and reboot)
WDF_HDCP_2_1

Did any of you have to do this?

Also, i didnt see an actual link for the FC fix. EDIT...... Never mind. I was just setting it up and saw the FC fix in the options. :rolleyes:

Last question....for now. Hah. I read a good bit about disabling option 2 because it can cause issues. Has anyone here had luck with option 2 enabled. I read where i can go in and manually change the files to fix the audio.

I usually don't need to ask so many questions when applying a mod. Lord knows I've flash a ton of them. It's just that there is no actual step by step tutorial. Sure would be nice is there was one for the S3.

Thanks again for the help guys. I appreciate your help and time.

In my opinion, I think Localcast works better than Allcast. At least, I've had less problems casting local content using Localcast. I've barely had any lag using Localcast.

And yes, you can mirror games and everything else on your phone through Chromecast using MirrorEnabler. There's also a way to connect a PS3 controller to your smartphone/tablet using the Sixaxis Controller app. In that sense, I think your phone becomes better than the Nexus Player. Especially since the Nexus Player only has 8GB of storage.

Side note, you do have to reinstall the MirrorEnabler app after every ROM install. I use Titanium Backup to backup/restore my apps. I wipe the data for MirrorEnabler after it's restored and open the app to follow the process to get it working. After doing that, you'll be able to mirror again. I just wanted to add this app because KitKat is supposed to be able to mirror natively but we can't for some reason.

1st off, thanks for your continued help. Unfortunately I still have a few questions.

In the Mirror Enabler thread there is a note for Samsung devices. It says "to enable Chromecast mirroring on a TouchWiz ROM, follow the guide below:

WDF_HDCP_2_1

EDIT:

Never mind. This was not needed. As a matter of fact, I didn't have to change any of the file text.

Also, i didnt see an actual link for the FC fix.

EDIT...... Never mind. I was just setting the app up and saw the FC fix in the options. :rolleyes:

Last question....for now. Hah. I read a good bit about disabling option 2 because it can cause issues. Has anyone here had luck with option 2 enabled. I read where i can go in and manually change the files to fix the audio.

EDIT :

I had to enable option 2 (force close fix) in order for the mirroring to work. The sound worked great too. So for those of you with questions about the Force close fix (option 2) , you may end up having to enable all 3 options like I did. :D:thumbup:

I usually don't need to ask so many questions when applying a mod. Lord knows I've flash a ton of them. It's just that there is no actual step by step tutorial. Sure would be nice if there was one for the S3.

EDIT:

After reading back through quite a few pages of the main mod thread, I was able to find more than enough information. It's not listed step by step but there's enough info between the posts to get a good understanding of what needs to be done.

EDIT :

Just remember to keep in mind that what works for one S3 may not work for another. The Mirror Enabler works so just keep trying. You'll find the combination that works for your phone.

EDIT!!!!!!!!

HOLY FREAKING MOLY!!!!! Had to enable all 3 options but I finally got the CAST option in Chromecast and I'm wireless mirroring anything on my phone to my television . I'm in shock right now!!! OK, time to play with this thing and see what all I can do with it. When playing a games I experienced a little lag once in a blue moon. Definitely nothing major at all. Chromecast has an option you can adjust that helps with lag. Mine was so slight that it didn't even affect my game play. SWEET!!!!! :D:D

A HUGE THANKS GOES OUT TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD AND AN EXTRA SPECIAL THANK YOU TO AB5TRACKTION FOR SHARING THE INFORMATION HERE. YOU ROCK BRO!!! :thumbup::thumbup::D:D:thumbup::thumbup:

Huh, didn't know about the new $35 plan. I stick with Hangouts with Hangouts Dialer if I'm not on wifi and low on minutes. I don't really use much of the data..I usually hit like 250MB out of the 2.5GB.

On topic, I think I should finally use a rom that isn't TouchWiz. I just don't know where to start with so many roms listed.

Yea, I barely use any minutes too. This month has seen heavy usage and I've only used 45 minutes. I was wondering simply because I received a text linking to this. I would have preferred more data since those of who choose this plan don't use many minutes.

If you want try a rom with a lot of features I'd suggest Dirty Unicorns(I've been for a bit now) or AICP. Both roms have a lot of features.

WDF_HDCP_2_1

EDIT:

Never mind. This was not needed. As a matter of fact, I didn't have to change any of the file text.

Also, i didnt see an actual link for the FC fix.

EDIT...... Never mind. I was just setting the app up and saw the FC fix in the options. :rolleyes:

EDIT :

I had to enable option 2 (force close fix) in order for the mirroring to work. The sound worked great too. So for those of you with questions about the Force close fix (option 2) , you may end up having to enable all 3 options like I did. :D:thumbup:

I usually don't need to ask so many questions when applying a mod. Lord knows I've flash a ton of them. It's just that there is no actual step by step tutorial. Sure would be nice if there was one for the S3.

EDIT:

After reading back through quite a few pages of the main mod thread, I was able to find more than enough information. It's not listed step by step but there's enough info between the posts to get a good understanding of what needs to be done.

EDIT :

Just remember to keep in mind that what works for one S3 may not work for another. The Mirror Enabler works so just keep trying. You'll find the combination that works for your phone.

EDIT!!!!!!!!

HOLY FREAKING MOLY!!!!! Had to enable all 3 options but I finally got the CAST option in Chromecast and I'm wireless mirroring anything on my phone to my television . I'm in shock right now!!! OK, time to play with this thing and see what all I can do with it. When playing a games I experienced a little lag once in a blue moon. Definitely nothing major at all. Chromecast has an option you can adjust that helps with lag. Mine was so slight that it didn't even affect my game play. SWEET!!!!! :D:D

A HUGE THANKS GOES OUT TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD AND AN EXTRA SPECIAL THANK YOU TO AB5TRACKTION FOR SHARING THE INFORMATION HERE. YOU ROCK BRO!!! :thumbup::thumbup::D:D:thumbup::thumbup:

You can get a miracast dongle for like $25 on amazon. Then you can use the native mirroring in touchwiz Roms. Just a little more info on the topic.

Yea, I barely use any minutes too. This month has seen heavy usage and I've only used 45 minutes. I was wondering simply because I received a text linking to this. I would have preferred more data since those of who choose this plan don't use many minutes.

If you want try a rom with a lot of features I'd suggest Dirty Unicorns(I've been for a bit now) or AICP. Both roms have a lot of features.
They upgraded you to unlimited minutes AND let you keep your 2.5GB throttle limit? Do you have any idea why they did this? I would love to have unlimited minutes while keeping the extra data.

Looks like OmniROM is the first ROM to successfully boot Android 5.0. Albeit, it was only for Nexus 7. It's only the beginning. Hopefully, it'll cover all devices and Ed Chen will be able to make some 5.0 d2lte builds.

Just read there is a booting 5.0 for s3 mini.

Someone has it booting for the international GS3 but nothing really works on it. I'm sure they'll get the drivers stabilized once it works.

AICP is vigorously working on their Android 5.0 updates. D2lte is one of their maintained devices. Hopefully, it'll remain one of their maintained devices.

I did read that some APIs with 5.0 would make it easier to run on older devices. There's even a 5.0 ROM for the Galaxy Nexus. I doubt Samsung will give an official update for the GS3, but it gives more hope for a GS3 5.0 ROM.

Someone has it booting for the international GS3 but nothing really works on it. I'm sure they'll get the drivers stabilized once it works.

AICP is vigorously working on their Android 5.0 updates. D2lte is one of their maintained devices. Hopefully, it'll remain one of their maintained devices.

I did read that some APIs with 5.0 would make it easier to run on older devices. There's even a 5.0 ROM for the Galaxy Nexus. I doubt Samsung will give an official update for the GS3, but it gives more hope for a GS3 5.0 ROM.
5.0 also only needs half a GB of ram to run. Everything since ICS has technically needed 1 GB to run properly.

I tried quite a few 4.4.4 Roms this weekend. They all seem slightly broken. Blisstalk ran nice, but Netflix didn't work no matter what I tried.

I tried quite a few 4.4.4 Roms this weekend. They all seem slightly broken. Blisstalk ran nice, but Netflix didn't work no matter what I tried.
Try Mahdi 2.9 it has worked perfectly for me. PA beta 4 worked well for me too. On Mahdi ART is set by default, so apps can take a few seconds to load the first time you open them. Netflix works fine on both of them too

Also just saw s3 international has a booting, albeit very broken, lollipop. Missing things like camera, radio, graphics, and many others. But hope remains!

Try Mahdi 2.9 it has worked perfectly for me. PA beta 4 worked well for me too. On Mahdi ART is set by default, so apps can take a few seconds to load the first time you open them. Netflix works fine on both of them too
Didnt know mahdi was set to art lol that explains slow start up and lag I had lol.

Back
Top Bottom