• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Android 4.4.4 d2lte Nightlies

what???? Noooo 😭🙇😢
e2ygegy7.jpg

Well, at least not officially

I think sahil munawar is the one doing the unofficial builds

DU says that it's not supporting the d2lte anymore 😢

It's a sad, sad day. I'm actually glad they were able to restore all the features with the last build. I think I might still use DU just because none of the other ROMs impress me as much as this one does.

It doesn't seem that there will be more 4.4.3 ROMs coming soon. I understand C-RoM is working on it but they're running into a lot of bugs with d2lte. I think that's why DU has decided to no longer support it.

Even though the GS3 was just upgraded to 4.4.2 stock, Samsung did say that they will upgrade it to 4.4.3. But who knows when that will come and if GS3 will get more official upgrades beyond that. At least there are a good amount of ROMs that are still working with the GS3.

You don't need ND8, NDC, or MK5 bootloader to make these ROMs work. I have MD7 on my phone and I've used all of these ROMs. I'm currently using Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3.

My phone came with 4.1.2 preinstalled on it. But yes, you can use these ROMs if your phone had 4.3 preinstalled. Just be careful because of Knox. It can muck things up fast. I think your problem might've been flashing the modem, but I don't know. You don't need to flash it if you have MK5 modem. You only really need to flash it if you had 4.1.2 preinstalled on your GS3.

These ROMs are all d2lte ROMs, meaning they work on any version of GS3. At first, ROMs were made for specific versions of GS3 depending on what carrier they were on. Now, ROMs for GS3 are made to work for all versions of GS3 of all carriers. So, the same ROM you downloaded to use on the Virgin Mobile GS3 will work on the T-Mobile GS3 without needing any special treatment. It could've been the special accents you used that caused the phone to brick also.

You shouldn't need to flash the APN settings fix if you flash a d2lte ROM with your T-Mobile phone (I guess that's moot because it is now bricked). That's only necessary for us on Virgin Mobile because even though our phone is the same as the Sprint version, ours uses different modems. Ok, so technically, a d2lte ROM is made to be used on any Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, or AT&T GS3 phone. But it works with us also. Because of the modem difference with ours and Sprint GS3 phones, we need to flash the APN settings fix to get our data up and running.

Since your phone came with 4.3 and has MK5, you should be able to flash the d2lte ROM, 4.4.3 GAPPS, the APN settings fix and it should be good to go. If you get your T-Mobile GS3 running again, all you'd need to do is flash a d2lte ROM and 4.4.3 GAPPS. I hope this answers some of your questions.

thanks that gives me a lot of reassurance. im probably going to have to trash my t-mobile version it wont do diddly anymore. im hearing now that DU is not supporting us anymore. not sure how valid that statement is yet but thats my favorite rom by a long mile.

@Ab5traktion I'm looking for a 4.4.3 build that is stable, fast and has good features. Which roms do you recommend?

My top pick, if you couldn't tell, is Dirty Unicorns. It's the most feature laden ROM on this list. However, it's not the most stable though, even though it's much more stable than the 4.4.2 build. But if you want the most features and most stable, I'd choose Gummy ROM. Plus I like how the dark theme is actually a black & cyan theme instead of just turning everything dark. My runner up for Gummy would be the Nameless ROM. Very stable. These are my top choices.

My top pick, if you couldn't tell, is Dirty Unicorns. It's the most feature laden ROM on this list. However, it's not the most stable though, even though it's much more stable than the 4.4.2 build. But if you want the most features and most stable, I'd choose Gummy ROM. Plus I like how the dark theme is actually a black & cyan theme instead of just turning everything dark. My runner up for Gummy would be the Nameless ROM. Very stable. These are my top choices.
I'm going to start with DU to se how it is... If it lags maybe I'll try some kernels.
I used to have c-rom, but they haven't updated the d2lte build to 4.4.3 (guess now they should jump straight to 4.4.4).
Next in line would be to try the gummy rom

Thanks for the suggestion btw

Added CandyKat ROM to the list. Has a fairly decent amount of feature. One thing tie ROM seems to have that the others don't is built-in shake controls. Basically, you can select a function or app and shake the phone and it'll open the function or app.

So, Android 4.4.4 was just released, three weeks after 4.4.3 was. It's not a huge upgrade. It's main focus is fixing vulnerabilities with OpenSSL. In light of this, this list is now an Android 4.4.3/4.4.4 Nightlies list.

Slimkat weekly build 5.10 is out (4.4.4)

I saw in the changelog yesterday that the ROM was being upgraded. Looks like they released the build today. A bunch of other ROMs made the leap to 4.4.4 over the weekend as well.

It also looks like there is a new Android feature with 4.4.3/4.4.4. It's called Hover. When you turn the feature on, it creates a pop-up notification over the notification bar. When you tap on it, it opens a floating window of the app. There have been apps in the past that have done this, probably most notable: Halo. Now it looks like it's an integrated Android feature.

I saw in the changelog yesterday that the ROM was being upgraded. Looks like they released the build today. A bunch of other ROMs made the leap to 4.4.4 over the weekend as well.

It also looks like there is a new Android feature with 4.4.3/4.4.4. It's called Hover. When you turn the feature on, it creates a pop-up notification over the notification bar. When you tap on it, it opens a floating window of the app. There have been apps in the past that have done this, probably most notable: Halo. Now it looks like it's an integrated Android feature.
I saw the feature in the new gummy nightly... It's great but sometimes it could be intrusive. I think that CM added a blacklist/whitelist feature with it, which should make it even better

Update: gummy also has a blacklist feature in the app info screen "blacklist from hover"

I saw the feature in the new gummy nightly... It's great but sometimes it could be intrusive. I think that CM added a blacklist/whitelist feature with it, which should make it even better

Update: gummy also has a blacklist feature in the app info screen "blacklist from hover"

This is true, it can be intrusive. At least, Hover is quite easy to turn off. But it's not as intrusive as Halo. I tried using Halo but it always got in the way. What I like with Hover is that you can swipe in any direction and the notification disappears, and Hover doesn't show up until the next notification. Halo is always there. An app that I've been using that's like Halo is Floatifications. It's quite less intrusive than Halo. Like Hover, once you close a notification, it's gone until the next one.

e2ygegy7.jpg

Well, at least not officially

I think sahil munawar is the one doing the unofficial builds

As we mourn the loss of Dirty Unicorns, which does sadden me greatly, I would like to make a selection. The reason why we liked Dirty Unicorns is because of all the options, right? One ROM that's in continued development that stands out to me is AICP, which is based on AOKP. AICP has a myriad of features like Dirty Unicorns does. The only thing about AICP is that the Settings UI is very confusing. It took me some time to figure it out. Have some patience with it.

I actually still recommend using Dirty Unicorns. It was upgraded to Android 4.4.3. With the upgrade, the ROM has become more stable. The only ROM that's really impressed me that's still in development is AICP. So, that's my plug for fans of Dirty Unicorns.

C-RoM is now on the Android 4.4.4 Nightlies list. I'm using it now. Seems to work great. The developers have added even more features than what was on the 4.4.2 ROM.

My only thing is, bluetooth doesn't seem to work. I've been trying to look on the various C-RoM XDA pages to see if there's a fix but not having any luck. Just wondering if anybody else is using the ROM and having similar issues. None of the other 4.4.4 ROMs that I've used had bluetooth issues. Other than that, it's a great, stable ROM. Just want to know if there are any suggestions.

C-RoM is now on the Android 4.4.4 Nightlies list. I'm using it now. Seems to work great. The developers have added even more features than what was on the 4.4.2 ROM.

My only thing is, bluetooth doesn't seem to work. I've been trying to look on the various C-RoM XDA pages to see if there's a fix but not having any luck. Just wondering if anybody else is using the ROM and having similar issues. None of the other 4.4.4 ROMs that I've used had bluetooth issues. Other than that, it's a great, stable ROM. Just want to know if there are any suggestions.
I have it installed but haven't tried out the BT yet...
going to try it later today, will report back....

DAMN! so many features in this rom

I have it installed but haven't tried out the BT yet...
going to try it later today, will report back....

DAMN! so many features in this rom
confirmed BT doesn't work
tried pairing it with a BT speaker, did not recognized the speaker.
try to connect to the gs3 with another device, it sees it but doesn't connect

confirmed BT doesn't work
tried pairing it with a BT speaker, did not recognized the speaker.
try to connect to the gs3 with another device, it sees it but doesn't connect

I tried connecting to a couple bluetooth speakers and nada for both. Doesn't even recognize either speaker. I don't think it works, which sucks because I use bluetooth a lot. Hopefully, they continue to make more builds.

New AOKP 6-25-14 nightly is up. It is supposed to be 4.4.4 but I haven't installed it yet.

Thanks for this list btw. My S3 is on Boost mobile and I have found this list very informative. Thanks again.

New AOKP 6-25-14 nightly is up. It should be 4.4.4 but I haven't installed it yet.

Thanks for this list btw. I'm on Boost, not that it matters, and have found this list very informative. Thanks again.

You're welcome. And thanks for the heads up. If AOKP has released a new build, it'll more than likely be 4.4.4. I might flash it tomorrow to make sure. I'm just glad we're able to use all these ROMs on our phones.

Back
Top Bottom