• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Android 4.4.4 d2lte Nightlies

AOSB has made the jump to Android 4.4.4. I found a new link for Paranoid Android and going to check if the latest link is 4.4.4 also.

Hope it goes well :) I'm still on DU when they first made their features

I'm on DU also. There was a ROM I wanted to check out, but it was tough trying to get it to work. But I did end up flashing Paranoid Android and confirmed it is now Android 4.4.4. I always end up back to Dirty Unicorns.

I do know it's working with Gummy. Other than that, not sure. I actually went back to using Dirty Unicorns. I'm waiting for either AICP or C-RoM to get Bluetooth working again to jump back to 4.4.4.
There's a new unofficial build of AICP with BT working

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okwkpt1j3w2cwdk/aicp_d2lte_kitkat-5.0-UNOFFICIAL-20140628.zip

Haven't got the chance to tried it yet but one user commented on BT working perfectly
2e2u4y8y.jpg

Sorry for the noob questions. I used to flash roms quite a bit before my EVO3D died. I've since gotten the SGS3 on VM. I've rooted it using odin3, knox_app_remover with the MK5_stock_deodexed rom and I have philz recovery. I recently decided to flash Liquid Smooth KK d2lte 6/18 nightly and really like the kitkat version. Data didn't work initially so I used Universal_vmu_ApnFix-v.R1 and I tested what works and what doesn't. So far phone calls, sms, mms using textra and data are good.

Here are my questions/issues:
1) I can't use the ##3282# to retrieve information from my phone like the EVO3D. Where do I find this info on my SGS3 phone like the mmsc and apn?
2) voicemail notification doesn't work and when I went to retrieve the voicemail by holding down 1, it connected me to a first timer using sprint mailbox. I'm on virgin so I'm guessing this may be the issue. This seems like it may be more of an issue with the APN fix I used than the ROM. Thoughts on what I should do?

Sorry for the noob questions. I used to flash roms quite a bit before my EVO3D died. I've since gotten the SGS3 on VM. I've rooted it using odin3, knox_app_remover with the MK5_stock_deodexed rom and I have philz recovery. I recently decided to flash Liquid Smooth KK d2lte 6/18 nightly and really like the kitkat version. Data didn't work initially so I used Universal_vmu_ApnFix-v.R1 and I tested what works and what doesn't. So far phone calls, sms, mms using textra and data are good.

Here are my questions/issues:
1) I can't use the ##3282# to retrieve information from my phone like the EVO3D. Where do I find this info on my SGS3 phone like the mmsc and apn?
2) voicemail notification doesn't work and when I went to retrieve the voicemail by holding down 1, it connected me to a first timer using sprint mailbox. I'm on virgin so I'm guessing this may be the issue. This seems like it may be more of an issue with the APN fix I used than the ROM. Thoughts on what I should do?

You might want to try a different APN settings fix. I have 2 of them posted in the OC. Both work. The mmsc is also posted. They're below all of the links to the 4.4.3/4.4.4 ROMs. The voicemail thing could be an APN settings fix issue. I think the one you used is an older version.

There's a new unofficial build of AICP with BT working

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okwkpt1j3w2cwdk/aicp_d2lte_kitkat-5.0-UNOFFICIAL-20140628.zip

Haven't got the chance to tried it yet but one user commented on BT working perfectly
2e2u4y8y.jpg

I can confirm that Bluetooth works with this build. I'm running it now. So far, the ROM works great. I'd say the one thing this ROM has that Dirty Unicorns doesn't is the Cyanogenmod Theme Showcase built in it. I'm currently running the Android L theme. I dig the extra colorizations. I know the official release is going to be even better. I'm only hoping developers continue to incorporate the newest Android releases for d2lte ROMs. But anyways, AICP is now my favorite Android 4.4.4 ROM. If GideonX releases an unofficial build for C-RoM 7.1, there's going to be tough competition.

In other news, Android 4.4.3 started rolling out for Samsung Galaxy S3 devices. It just started rolling out on Verizon. There most likely will be an official release for the Virgin Mobile GS3. I like that we seem to have the first phone on the Virgin Mobile platform that's getting official OTAs.

You might want to try a different APN settings fix. I have 2 of them posted in the OC. Both work. The mmsc is also posted. They're below all of the links to the 4.4.3/4.4.4 ROMs. The voicemail thing could be an APN settings fix issue. I think the one you used is an older version.

Thank you for the reply. I did not install the modem since I'm pretty sure I have MK5 since my phone came with 4.3 loaded. The native voicemail worked fine after rooting.

I took awhile before flashing a custom rom. I just got annoyed by the bloatware and decided on Liquid Smooth. I have since loaded Gummy but the result is the same. I did a clean install with both roms. Neither would work after install so I tried both files from Universal_vmu_ApnFix-Custom and Universal_vmu_ApnFix-v.R1 from MopedRyder. I just tried flashing CM-AOSP_D2VMU_APN_LTE_or_3G-MMS_20131016 and it gave my stopped errors on boot.

I did flash 6-2_GApps_Minimal_4.4.3_signed. I noticed it has a file Phonesky.apk. Perhaps this is causing the issue. Think it is safe to remove the file and reflash everything?

Thank you for the reply. I did not install the modem since I'm pretty sure I have MK5 since my phone came with 4.3 loaded. The native voicemail worked fine after rooting.

I took awhile before flashing a custom rom. I just got annoyed by the bloatware and decided on Liquid Smooth. I have since loaded Gummy but the result is the same. I did a clean install with both roms. Neither would work after install so I tried both files from Universal_vmu_ApnFix-Custom and Universal_vmu_ApnFix-v.R1 from MopedRyder. I just tried flashing CM-AOSP_D2VMU_APN_LTE_or_3G-MMS_20131016 and it gave my stopped errors on boot.

I did flash 6-2_GApps_Minimal_4.4.3_signed. I noticed it has a file Phonesky.apk. Perhaps this is causing the issue. Think it is safe to remove the file and reflash everything?
Phonesky is the play store

Phonesky.apk is actually the apk for the Google Play Store. So, you probably don't want to delete it. You might be having a problem with the gapps package. 6-2 gapps are for Android 4.4.3 ROMs. 6-19 are for Android 4.4.4 ROMs. The latest Liquid Smooth and Gummy builds are for Android 4.4.4. So, use the 6-19 GAPPS package with those ROMs.

If the problem is still the APN settings fix, try the 2nd one I have on the OC. It's the newest APN fix.I posted both APN fixes in the case of one doesn't work, the other one might.

I don't know if you're using Philz Recovery or not. With Philz, after selecting Wipe Data, it gives you 2 options: first says Wipe Data, second says Install New ROM. Make sure you select the first option for Wipe Data. The second option does cause problems. I had a whole bunch of problems selecting the second option the first time I flashed a ROM using Philz.

I posted the link to the AICP unofficial 6/28 build under the link to the official builds so it'll be easier to find. Like I said, Bluetooth works. Everything else works also. Has a great plenthora of features. And so far, it's a smooth and stable build.

Phonesky.apk is actually the apk for the Google Play Store. So, you probably don't want to delete it. You might be having a problem with the gapps package. 6-2 gapps are for Android 4.4.3 ROMs. 6-19 are for Android 4.4.4 ROMs. The latest Liquid Smooth and Gummy builds are for Android 4.4.4. So, use the 6-19 GAPPS package with those ROMs.

If the problem is still the APN settings fix, try the 2nd one I have on the OC. It's the newest APN fix.I posted both APN fixes in the case of one doesn't work, the other one might.

I don't know if you're using Philz Recovery or not. With Philz, after selecting Wipe Data, it gives you 2 options: first says Wipe Data, second says Install New ROM. Make sure you select the first option for Wipe Data. The second option does cause problems. I had a whole bunch of problems selecting the second option the first time I flashed a ROM using Philz.

I am using Philz and YES I did do the "Install New Rom" wipe. Good suggestion on the gApps also. I'll use the one you have listed. I'm going to retry it all using another rom and gApps and the R1 APN update.

I am using Philz and YES I did do the "Install New Rom" wipe. Good suggestion on the gApps also. I'll use the one you have listed. I'm going to retry it all using another rom and gApps and the R1 APN update.

I'm glad I said something about that. I don't know how common that mistake is. I know I sure had problems with it. Hope it solves your problem.

I flashed 3.1 liquid smooth everything works, but the home button won't work. Could ths be software related?

I flashed 3.1 liquid smooth everything works, but the home button won't work. Could ths be software related?

Not sure. I'm not too familiar with liquid smooth but with other ROMs, there's usually an option in the Settings to allocate functions for each button on the phone. The Button settings are usually under Display in the Settings menu. Or they might be somewhere in the extra settings. If you find the Button settings, you can assign the Home button to go to the home page.

Its assigned to home,I tried activating the navigation screen and when I used that home button it did nothing

Its assigned him,I tried activating the navigation screen and when I used that home button it did nothing

So, I'm perplexed then. From doing some quick research, this has been an issue with Liquid Smooth throughout different Android versions with various Samsung Galaxy devices. Some people say flash a different build or use a different kernel. I know this doesn't give many solutions, but, historically, this has been a problem with Liquid Smooth. My suggestion would be to try to flash a different build of Liquid Smooth and see if the Home button works then.

its working now, also is there a stock rom I can flash to if one rom fails?

its working now, also is there a stock rom I can flash to if one rom fails?

Well technically, all of the ROMs on this list are stock Android 4.4.3/4.4.4 ROMs. They all have different added features and customizations though. If you want a ROM that's closest to pure stock AOSP ROM, use either Cyanogenmod or Paranoid Android. But yeah, try any of these ROMs out.

Is that what you meant? Or did you mean like a stock TouchWiz ROM?

So, just for fun, I added the Android L Boot Animation and Theme to the OC. The boot animation just needs to be downloaded and flashed. I'm currently using it. Should be able to be dirty flashed. The Android L Theme is for the ROMs in this list that have Cyanogen Theme Showcase built in them. You'll know if you go to Settings and it will say Themes under Profiles. I'm currently using Version #3 of the theme listed in the link.

For those who want to use the Android L Keyboard, it's available in the Google Play Store.

CandyKat ROM has joined the Android 4.4.4 party. This leaves Dirty Unicorns as the lone Android 4.4.3 ROM on this list. Last month, Team D.I.R.T. announced they stopped supporting d2lte builds. I'm still crying inside because of their decision. I'm kidding, of course...well, kinda. It is still one of the best, if not the best, ROM on this list. Ever since I started using it, I compare all other ROMs to it. I highly suggest using it.

Thanks to BEER30 for letting me know the link I had for the AICP 6/28 unofficial 4.4.4 build was discontinued. I still had the .zip file on my phone after flashing it. So, I uploaded it to my Mediafire account and created my own link for it. Everything works on the ROM including Bluetooth. AICP is one of the only ROMs to compare to Dirty Unicorns, in my opinion. The developers for the ROM did just release an official 7/1 build. I don't know if Bluetooth is working with it.

I corrected some of the other links in the list also. I do my best to keep everything up-to-date. Feel free to let me know if a link is no longer working. And if there are any other ROMs out there that I don't know about, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

Alright, so it looks like AOSB has disappeared. I only get a fatal error message. I looked at the Google+, FB, and Twitter page and nothing was said about why the AOSB site isn't working. Let's keep an eye out for it. Maybe it'll come back.

I have a quick question well i updated my phone to 4.4.2 and my software version: L710VPUNDC and i was wondering if i could use these roms and i kinda don't want to BRICK my phone so if anyone can let me know please do you can reply here or send a PM so thanks

I have a quick question well i updated my phone to 4.4.2 and my software version: L710VPUNDC and i was wondering if i could use these roms and i kinda don't want to BRICK my phone so if anyone can let me know please do you can reply here or send a PM so thanks

As long as you are rooted, you should be able to use these ROMs. They're not specific to any software version. The d2lte builds means they can work on any version of Samsung Galaxy S3. Technically, they're for the T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint GS3s. But since the Virgin Mobile and Sprint GS3s are basically the same, we can use the d2lte builds. In order to get data to work, we have to flash APN Settings fix, which are also in the OC.

Do not flash the modem in the OC. That most likely will brick you phone since you're upgraded to 4.4.2. Other than that, you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom