• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried installing many times but all i get is a bootscreen with 4 colored circles.

Please check the MD5 of the file you downloaded against the one I just posted (I meant to do that last night and forgot). Let's try to rule out a corrupted download first.

Link removed while I try to figure out what's going on with the bootloops. I think I have a pretty good idea, testing now.

It may have something to do with the apps that I'm pre-installing to system. If you want to try a quick fix before I can get a new fixed build up, in TWRP, select Mount and make sure system is mounted. Select "ADVANCED" and "FILE MANAGER." Navigate to /system/app and remove com.google.android.gallery3d-1.apk, then navagate to /data/app and remove com.android.chrome-1.apk and com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1.apk and let me know how it works out.

Sorry for the bootloops, I'm new to this.

Its the kernel i think. People have been having problems with that, just flash an older VaeVictus kernel. (if its the kernel, this is my screw up, sorry guys)

Compsjp's backup links are broken. Could you include a full system flash, or reupload the MC backup? Gonna grab this as soon as possible.

I think to make chrome a system app You need to extract*libchromeview.so*from the Chrome APK (found at:*com.android.chrome-1.apk/lib/armeabi-v7a/libchromeview.so) and move it to*system/lib. Optionally, you can remove libchromeview.so from the Chrome APK and zipalign if you want to save a couple of MBs of space.

It's not the kernel. I've tried using VaeVictus and the stock kernel with no luck and I am still getting bootloops. I have an idea of what's going on (I think) and I'm testing now. With a little luck, R2 will be out tonight.

Welcome to the wonderous world of being a ROM developer. Would you be able to open a git repository for the ROM? It would be helpful for more advanced users to download a development version at our will. It would also allow people (like me :D) to make pull requests to your code.

Welcome to the wonderous world of being a ROM developer. Would you be able to open a git repository for the ROM? It would be helpful for more advanced users to download a development version at our will. It would also allow people (like me :D) to make pull requests to your code.

Well, there's really no code here. This isn't something that gets compiled and then released, it's more of a modification to the stock Touchwiz ROM that comes with the phone. Github wouldn't be of much use. However, if there is something specific that you want, such as decompiled resources for the SystemUI or framework-res modifications, I will be happy to share them.

All Jerry put on Github were the contents of the install zip, and that was all I needed. I'd like to take a look at the framework-res changes though.

Quick status update: DON'T EVER WIPE DATA on a Galaxy Victory; lesson learned. New instructions in OP, uploading files now, I will update the links when they're ready.

On a side note, I believe that I can integrate the missing components from the 'pre-install backup' into the ROM proper eventually, it's just a matter of getting up the ambition to go through all of the permissions. It seems that there is something on the DATA partition on a stock Victory that the system expects to ALWAYS be there. By adding everything from the DATA partition into the flashable and setting the permissions just right, we should have a ROM that can be flashed even with a full system/data wipe. There are so many permissions to go through, however, that it is going to be a very long and tedious task.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It has nothing to do with wiping data.

09/30/2013
  • Reduced file size
  • Improved install routine, requires pre-install TWRP backup (see OP)
  • Removed Swype
  • Fixed Chrome and Google Keyboard as system apps issues (thanks AndroidHaCks)
  • Re-enabled ability to disable AOSP Lock Screen and use Samsung Circle Lock Screen
  • Disabled stock Touchwiz messaging notifications by default
  • Pre-configured 8sms for proper MMS sending/receiving
-------------------------
Please follow the instructions for "First-Time Installation" as Release 1 was horribly broken. Bug reports/logcats welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom