• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
There may be a problem with the prep backup. I'll be uploading a new one soon. For now, comp's or g60's backups should work as a base as long as you apply the MG5 update before flashing conquest. Sorry for the delays.

I think I will work on a stock rom with working radios and upload that this morning. Just for the purpose of serving as a base for modified roms such as this :)

10/01/2013
  • Uploaded proper pre-install backup
--------------------
Side-note: This backup can also be used to restore the phone to a stock state with the MG5 update pre-applied.

Release 3 testing underway. Hopefully this will remove the need for the pre-install TWRP backup mess (what a headache) and allow you to install to a device which has had System and Data wiped (!) without issue.

I'm also noticing that Superuser doesn't like to give su rights to system apps by default and I keep getting popups for 'preconfig,' 'dialer storage,' and several other apps that have no business sending me popups so I think I'm going to switch to SuperSU as my testing with SuperSU has been good so far.

Also removed (finally) Virgin Mobile's MobileID app as it was crashing, is useless, and I can't think of why I didn't remove it in the first place.

Hang in there everyone.

EDIT: Changed launcher icons for dialer, contacts, downloads, and music player to AOSP icons. Changed title for stock Touchwiz Messaging app to "Toucwiz MMS" to distinguish it from 8sms.

As it was with Victorious, my phone doesn't boot with VaeVictus. But other then that, this ROM is great! Keep up the good work.

Edit: The Conquest download shows up for me as "Quota Exceeded"

Dropbox is a pretty good file sharing. If needed, I can rent out a VPS specifically for distributing the ROM files. If all else fails, maybe you can try and get in on the vmobi team.

I have a VPS with GoDaddy and can set you up with limited FTP access to upload files. Plus no annoying pop up ads when people download them.

Personally, I can't afford to pay for any kind of hosting services and would rather not use anything that would cost other people. Drop box sounds like a nice alternative. I have an account at android file host, too. Does anybody know if there is a file size and/or bandwidth limit involved with AFH or Drop box?

There isn't a file size limit or a bandwidth limit for dropbox. However, you can only store 5GBs worth of files on it. As for android file host, it seems to have no limits at all.

Edit: Only limit with AFH is you need to request developer status. Although what they don't really want much to prove that you're a developer.

Edit Edit: Also, the VPS wouldn't cost me anything more then I'm already paying, as I already use it for sharing my own files.

In that case, I'll probably try AFH first since I already have a Dev account there. They don't seem to have our device but the "Generic" device should work fine.

Sorry everyone. I'll get the files uploaded to a new host as soon as I can. There won't be any new links until tomorrow morning.

10/02/2013
  • New install procedure (see OP)
  • Switched from Superuser to SuperSU
  • Themed app launcher icons for Phone, Contacts, Music Player, and Downloads
  • Removed Virgin Mobile MobileID app
  • Stock Touchwiz messaging app now displays as "Touchwiz MMS" in launcher to better distinguish it from 8sms
----------------------------
Ok, so I didn't move the files for Release 2 to another server yet. How about we try Release 3 instead?

This is a single flashable ZIP, no need for restoring backups pre-install. It works by placing a tar archive of my working /system on the /data partition (temporarily) then decompressing it back to /system. Tar files preserve permissions and ownership so when it gets extracted, everything works as expected. I may eventually switch this over to a two-file installer, one part flashable zip, one part tar system image. The script can be modified to extract the file to the /data partition, the internal sdcard (/data/media), the external sdcard (/storage/extSdCard) or just about any partition with enough space. Due to the way it's currently set up, you MUST have approximately 800MB of free space on your internal storage. This still uses VaeVictus, I want to eventually switch over to an Aroma-based installer and give the option to use either stock kernel or VaeVictus (and xstefen's kernel when it's ready) but that's a project for a later date.

Bug reports/logcats welcome.

Future updates will come as smaller patches, flashable zip only as they will likely just replace individual files. Enough changes may warrant a complete re-release of the 'full' base but probably not because the updates will be cumulative.

Release 3 currently resides at Android File Host. I know a lot of you have graciously offered me some hosting space and I'll be happy to use it. If the offers are still on the table, please PM me. I know I have gotten back to some of you already, but I may have missed others.

totally happy to offer hosting space too, altho it sounds like many already have ;-)

have been oddly reluctant to mess with my victory (stock rom just so nice aside from having to freeze ~120 packages, and ok felt safe applying Jerry's mg5-wossname)

but Conquest R3, for some reason I have a good feeling about...

Newb here, how do you "wipe data" as directed in the OP? Is that the command Format Data in Team Win?

Go to the Wipe menu, and select Advanced, then select partitions to wipe. Be Sure You Are FOLLOWING The DIRECTIONS before you do so. You can ruin your phone to where it requires a factory restoration image. This is an issue unique to the Victory in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom