• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
If using 2.4.3.0, when you open the Wipe/Format menu, IF I recall correctly, you should be able to select your various partitions. A factory wipe can achieve the same effect.

Newb here, how do you "wipe data" as directed in the OP? Is that the command Format Data in Team Win?

I was wondering the same thing. I flash the ROM without wiping data and it seemed to work just fine. Booted great and phone is running smoothly. I was hesitant about tinkering with the phone because it has been running great. So far so good.

Sorry for not offering to be a tester, this phone is my only phone (no land line) and I could not be without it even for a short period. Great work with it though. Thanks for your efforts!!!!

This ROM is really well done! Keep up the good work.

Also, my only problem with AFH is how slow their uplinks are. It took about 20 minutes (on 25mbps download) for me to get the ROM, while the TWRP pre-install took about five.

Edit: Nevermind, Mirror #7 is just extremely slow. Mirror #1 only takes me a minute.

I'm highly regretting wiping data now, as I realize that my Titanium schedules were only backing up my data, rather than the apps. Also, the Play Store has some issues with app downloads.

Edit: I'm currently having loads of issues with the ROM. Until they're fixed I'm flashing back to stock.

I'm highly regretting wiping data now, as I realize that my Titanium schedules were only backing up my data, rather than the apps. Also, the Play Store has some issues with app downloads.

Edit: I'm currently having loads of issues with the ROM. Until they're fixed I'm flashing back to stock.

I double dipped, I backed up apps in TB and then did a backup in TWRP. Maybe try to flashing the ROM without clearing Data.

Please elaborate on the issues you are having and if you could provide a logcat, that would also help. One thing to make sure is to try stock kernel because some phones have problems with VaeVictus.

I'm on victorious. Should I restore to stock MG5?

Should not be necessary. In fact, wiping Data appears to be unnecessary as long as you have about 800mb of free space on the data partition.

I flashed and had "signature verification failed". Did I do something wrong?

Tried again without signature verification and got stuck with the blooming colors for 10 minutes. Gave up and restored.

I flashed and had "signature verification failed". Did I do something wrong?

Tried again without signature verification and got stuck with the blooming colors for 10 minutes. Gave up and restored.

Please tell me exactly what steps you took to install, what recovery and version of recovery you are using and what ROM you are coming from.

Please tell me exactly what steps you took to install, what recovery and version of recovery you are using and what ROM you are coming from.

Coming from Victorius, TWRP 2.4.3, wiped cache, wiped dalvik, wiped system, install zip. Wipe cache and dalvik. Reboot.

Coming from Victorius, TWRP 2.4.3, wiped cache, wiped dalvik, wiped system, install zip. Wipe cache and dalvik. Reboot.

Please try using TWRP 2.6.3.0 and wipe Data also (advanced wipe, check cache, dalvik, system, data).

If you need a flashable zip for TWRP 2.6.3.0, let me know and I'll upload the one I have.

I actually installed this on my Sprint phone (just to play with it). I did a full backup then format in TWRP then flashed, then wiped everything except extSD and system. Got stuck at Google bootloader. Flashed again and didn't wipe anything, bingo. Looks beautiful except the fact that I can only get 3G/no LTE (expected) :P

I actually installed this on my Sprint phone (just to play with it). I did a full backup then format in TWRP then flashed, then wiped everything except extSD and system. Got stuck at Google bootloader. Flashed again and didn't wipe anything, bingo. Looks beautiful except the fact that I can only get 3G/no LTE (expected) :P

If everyone who is having trouble with this could try installing over an existing, functioning system without wiping and report back as to whether this works for you, it would be helpful.

Just got done with the install and it seems cool. I just think its weird that I'm still getting the Victorious boot animation. everything else works fine though :D

Just got done with the install and it seems cool. I just think its weird that I'm still getting the Victorious boot animation. everything else works fine though :D

The victorious splash screen is part of the kernel. When you flashed, did you wipe everything, nothing or partial? What version of recovery are you on?

Updated instructions in OP. While for me, wiping everything and then installing works perfectly, for some reason it doesn't work for anybody. Until I can come up with a better installation method (the tar file thing was admittedly very hackish), dirty flashing seems to be the way to go.

If you need a flashable zip for TWRP 2.6.3.0, let me know and I'll upload the one I have.
I would really like that if you dont mind. My big computer is in shop, all I have right now is an Acer aspire and the screen is so small it cuts off the start button on odin and I can't click it.

Looks beautiful except the fact that I can only get 3G/no LTE (expected) :P

Not sure if the 4G isn't working because it's a VM Rom working on a Sprint phone, but my 4G did not work either until I did a second reboot. Now it works fine :) I also updated the PRL in the System Updates.

I'm working on a proper flashable zip file. One that doesn't use the TAR file to decompress permissions/symbolic links. I think this is part of the problem.

EDIT: Here's the flashable ZIP for TWRP 2.6.3.0. Still working on Conquest R4.

I have a test build available for Release 4 uploading now. I have tested on my phone from a complete wipe (system, data, dalvik, cache) and everything seems to work (3G, WiFi, sound, bluetooth). I can't test LTE as there is no LTE service here. I'm going to run this on my phone all day while I'm at work (I use my phone frequently at my job) to make sure there are no last minute glitches, but I'd also like others to test this one before it gets a wider release. PM me if you would like to test and I'll send you the link as soon as it's up.
-------------------------
On an interesting note, the reason that wiping DATA screws with our phones a little is because there are 2 files stored on the DATA partition that get symlinked into another folder on the SYSTEM partition. I wonder how the stock recovery handles a "factory reset" with these two files residing in the user data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom