• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, it says I the description that there is a different boot animation... I still have the one that came with victorious. Not a complaint, just wondering.

Btw, it says I the description that there is a different boot animation... I still have the one that came with victorious. Not a complaint, just wondering.

The splash screen is Victorious because its part of the kernel. Victorious uses a custom boot animation which may conflict with the one in my ROM if you flash Conquest over Victorious without wiping system. You can remove the boot animations in /system/media, and replace them with the ones in Conquest if you want the Google boot animation. Its purely cosmetic, though, and will have no effect on the operation of the ROM.
----------------------------
Status update: I'm going to switch over to the stock Touchwiz camera for better stability and video recording or I might try Focal. Lidroid toggles almost done, just have to fix the flashlight toggle and remove the brightness slider. Should be ready later this morning or tomorrow.

ummm supersu dont work right on our phones, switch superuser back to supersu was stupid, sorry, jerry and i and others already pointed out

Hmm. I've used it since day one without issue. So maybe something of Jerry's rom was the issue. gg

10/05/2013: R5
  • Replaced AOSP Camera with TouchWiz Camera
  • Added customizable Lidroid Power Toggles notification widget
  • TouchWiz MMS icon now hidden from launcher
  • AOSP-themed Camera and Gallery launcher icons
---------------------------------------------------------
As you can see from the changelog, the TouchWiz camera app is back because none of the AOSP ones I tried would record video, if I find one that does then I'll eventually switch over. For now, an AOSP-themed camera launcher icon will have to do.

The TouchWiz MMS app has been hidden from the launcher, although it is still installed because 8sms currently requires it to be installed to send/receive MMS. If this changes (8sms is being updated frequently), I will remove the TouchWiz MMS app completely.

Lidroid toggles are included in this release, somewhat customized to fit the AOSP theme and to shrink the buttons. I don't like my toggles to have text underneath so I removed it and also resized the container to be the same height as a standard notification rather than the same size as the stock TouchWiz toggles. The toggles can be customized via the "Toggle Settings" app in the launcher. Please note that some of the toggles may not work as this was really designed for the Galaxy SII. I will eventually attempt to remove the ones that are not useful.

Signature verification for system apps is now disabled. This had to be done in order to include Lidroid toggles. I haven't noticed any ill effects (I have been running this since yesterday) so please report if there are any problems.

EDIT: I forget to say that the new zip will also remove the custom boot animations from Victorious for those of you who flashed over top of Victorious.

i think your missing 2 libs for video? anyone remember the g60 stock, well it missing the 2 libs i do know that... and not sure if i still have them:/ but my stock back up does

This isn't even remotely based on G60's backup.

Video recording works with the stock camera.

There are AOSP camera builds that I gave come across with working video recording but they would randomly crash or freeze.

ok ive incountered a problem. i did as instructed.

wiped system
couldnt find data to wipe it clean
installed r4
wiped dev/cache
rebooted
the phone was stuck on the samsung screen for 20 min then i pulled the battery and went back into recovery and installed r5 and still the same thing, stuck on the samsung screen. i am on mg5. i had this problem with victorious also so i just ended up going back into the backup. im running twrp for a recovery. what do you guys think im doing wrong or whats recommended. thanks

I installed the r5 update over my r4 setup and on reboot it kept telling me the system had crashed and I had no notification bar. Installing the full r4 and then doing r5 also gave me the same result.

Sleek ROM, but i can't get the sms app you added to keep it's settings after reboot. It even shows another phone number in settings, and i haven't been able to switch back to default sms app. I also seeing this bug which is not related to the ROM http://8s.ms/samsung-contacts-app-crash

This may be a permissions issue on the settings file for 8sms. I'll check into it when I get home. The latest release effectively disables the stock messaging app. Try clearing app data for 8sms in the Applications manager first but if that didn't work try rebooting to recovery, enter Advanced, File Manager, navigate to /data/data and look for a folder with "eightyeight" in the title. Enter the folder then press the "select" button and delete the folder.

ok ive incountered a problem. i did as instructed.

wiped system
couldnt find data to wipe it clean
installed r4
wiped dev/cache
rebooted
the phone was stuck on the samsung screen for 20 min then i pulled the battery and went back into recovery and installed r5 and still the same thing, stuck on the samsung screen. i am on mg5. i had this problem with victorious also so i just ended up going back into the backup. im running twrp for a recovery. what do you guys think im doing wrong or whats recommended. thanks

If you have a stock backup (you should if you followed instructions), try an advanced restore of just boot. Some phones don't like VaeVictus kernel. Post back with your results. I tend to think this might be the problem since you didn't get the Google boot animation.

I installed the r5 update over my r4 setup and on reboot it kept telling me the system had crashed and I had no notification bar. Installing the full r4 and then doing r5 also gave me the same result.

I haven't run into this problem. Can you provide a logcat?

It would be great if everyone could wipe settings for 8sms and manually re-enter the mmsc until I can get the settings permission thing fixed.

EDIT: Never mind, download and flash R5.1

Nothing much in this release, just fixes the settings bug for 8sms.

FWIW, I was running R3 and found the video recording issue AND mms messages I could not view the attached picture without saving it. Both issues have been fixed as of R5 as far as I can tell.

I see people flashing things an various orders and I have had no issues flashing in this order:

1. Wipe cache, and Delvik before doing anything
2. Flash ROM.

Don't clear things after flashing.

10/06/2013: R5.1
  • Change permissions on 8sms settings file (fixes settings not sticking, removes my phone number from the default settings xml)
--------------------------
Settings not sticking in 8sms was definitely a permissions issue, sorry. It should be fixed now with R5.1. Please take note that this will clear any custom settings (notification tones, etc.) that you had in 8sms and you will have to re-enter them. The only setting pre-filled should be the MMSC settings.

I use Go SMS and it still doesn't do the MMS right. I have to use the stock MMS app for that. What settings do I use to get MMS to work in Go SMS in this ROM?

Also, I prefer the AOSP camera and I don't use the video recording anyway. Is there a way you can keep the camera for those who don't use the camcorder?

so i tried the advance restore with just boot checked off and the phone turns of and turns back on to the samsung screen and stays there.....

so i tried the advance restore with just boot checked off and the phone turns of and turns back on to the samsung screen and stays there.....

This indicates there may be a problem with the kernel or backup. Try downloading the stock kernel (here) and install it.

If this doesn't work, please let me know what ROM you are coming from (eg. stock, Victorious), whether you have applied the MG5 OTA update or JerryScript's no-props MG5 update (this is a requirement for proper kernel functionality), what recovery and recovery version you are using, and finally the exact sequence of steps you followed to install.

A logcat would be very helpful. It doesn't sound like your phone is booting far enough for ADB to pull one, but if you can try, please do. I'd like to get this up and running for you.

I tried the boot again and success. I did the following

Recovery
Wiped everything
Installed r4
Installed boot from backup
Restarted phone
Everything loaded
Back into recovery
Installed update with no wipe and started it
Now I'm loving It

Status
Not open for further replies.