• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VZW Rejected Gingerbread for Droid X...sad, sad, sad!

You'll get it when you get it. No word from Verizon means none of these bloggers are accurate. I wouldn't be against the idea of making it forum rule to stop posting blogger articles.

Uhm, the leaked copy was just released and it's in no way a rough beta.

It's coming soon. Soon could mean two months but it's definitely coming so I think at least X owners can breathe easy that big update is on the way. The poor Fascinate owners are stuck on a comparatively ancient build, and FroYo fixed and improved a LOT. Gingerbread is a "polish" improvement, which is great, but not having some basic functionality like Flash hurts the Samsung owners.

Gingerbread is not overdue. As a matter of fact, the X will be one of the earlier devices that will get Gingerbread. So I don't think you'll see too much hysteria.

Reactions: jroc and Caveman419
Upvote 0
Uhm, the leaked copy was just released and it's in no way a rough beta.

It's coming soon. Soon could mean two months but it's definitely coming so I think at least X owners can breathe easy that big update is on the way. The poor Fascinate owners are stuck on a comparatively ancient build, and FroYo fixed and improved a LOT. Gingerbread is a "polish" improvement, which is great, but not having some basic functionality like Flash hurts the Samsung owners.

Gingerbread is not overdue. As a matter of fact, the X will be one of the earlier devices that will get Gingerbread. So I don't think you'll see too much hysteria.

Couldn't agree more.

Upvote 0
also running GB right now. seems pretty good so far. i am having some issues with some apps not working the same way they did in Froyo (like widgetoid in the notification bar doesn't work at all) but other than a few quirks is is really quick, nice animations, and stable as can be.

the animations are really great, but i am kinda pissed moto cut out the screen off animation...that was the best one!!

Upvote 0
also running GB right now. seems pretty good so far. i am having some issues with some apps not working the same way they did in Froyo (like widgetoid in the notification bar doesn't work at all) but other than a few quirks is is really quick, nice animations, and stable as can be.

the animations are really great, but i am kinda pissed moto cut out the screen off animation...that was the best one!!

Help me out here (this might sound stupid to most), but what is the "screen off animation"? Is this specific to a ROM or the something? Is this a setting on a stock DX?

Upvote 0
Help me out here (this might sound stupid to most), but what is the "screen off animation"? Is this specific to a ROM or the something? Is this a setting on a stock DX?

its part of the stock Gingerbread experience...designed to make it look like an old tube TV shutting off when your screen goes off....for some reason, Moto has decided to remove it from their builds of GB...

Upvote 0
Installed flawlessly. One annoyance is all my apps wanted to update automatically....wanted or not. So now Titanium Backup is kind of pointless. I am at a point where I am considering going back to Liberty for my backups and waiting for GB to be rooted...or keeping it and what? Just delete my back ups? I guess I could keep them for the eventuality that it gets rooted. Not sure what to do next.

Upvote 0
Tell you what. I'm not going to move any of these posts into the root section. Just try to keep it separate. For instance, if you have GB root issues or questions, take it to the root section. However, if you are describing the GB leak to those who want to know what some of the changes might be in the Verizon OTA, that's ok.

Steven

Is that ok w/everyone?

Reactions: woodstorm
Upvote 0
After using/testing Gingerbread for a day I have figured out why Verizon rejected this. Because the build that Motorola gave them was too good. I have not had one system issue with it. I have had some things that the user could not figure out right away, but the build has been amazing. Still hoping and expecting that someone will figure out how to root this thing, but for now I am more than happy to stay on this.

I would be willing to bet the standard users will even find this more amazing because it is such an upgrade from stock Froyo. Heck it seems to be an upgrade from custom Froyo.

This build will be enough to get me to my next upgrade in October and only upgrade if there is something that will blow the X out of the water. I actually have a little more respect from Motorola at this point. It is even to the point now that I would consider another Motorola phone again. If they gave us an unlocked bootloader I would be willing to say I would not get another brand of phone.

Those of you waiting for the OTA trust me it will be worth it.

Upvote 0
After using/testing Gingerbread for a day I have figured out why Verizon rejected this. Because the build that Motorola gave them was too good. I have not had one system issue with it. I have had some things that the user could not figure out right away, but the build has been amazing. Still hoping and expecting that someone will figure out how to root this thing, but for now I am more than happy to stay on this.

I would be willing to bet the standard users will even find this more amazing because it is such an upgrade from stock Froyo. Heck it seems to be an upgrade from custom Froyo.

This build will be enough to get me to my next upgrade in October and only upgrade if there is something that will blow the X out of the water. I actually have a little more respect from Motorola at this point. It is even to the point now that I would consider another Motorola phone again. If they gave us an unlocked bootloader I would be willing to say I would not get another brand of phone.

Those of you waiting for the OTA trust me it will be worth it.

Or maybe it was rejected because when you launch your mobile hotspot app it refers you to reach AT&T Tech Support at att.com/mywireless if you need assistance.

Reactions: Outlaw71
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Steven, wear that shirt proudly! I'm from Kentucky and went to UK as well...I bleed blue for sure :) Final Four!!!

And I'm downloading GB now...yay can't wait! A friend of mine had his running today and showed it to me. I got all giddy like a school girl. I love the new blue colors...hey, like Kentucky!!! :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones