• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Often imitated,nevr duplicated,rubix focused 1.8.6

@GB....here is kind of a breakdown of how this is being explained to me and what these settings mean....this is kind of japanese to me but this is how it was explained
In regards to the post about adjusting dirty ratios...

dirty_background_ratio – This is the lowest (percent) amount of memory where a dirty page flush can stop.
dirty_ratio – This is the highest (percent) amount of memory that can be stored before a force flush happens.

The changes you made means that it will store memory until 80% then flush down to 50% if I read right... That does sound like it could increase battery performance, but at what cost to the system?

Edit: more info -
vm.dirty_background_ratio contains 15, which is a percentage of total system memory, the number of pages at which the pdflush background writeback daemon will start writing out dirty data. However, for fast RAID based disk system this may cause large flushes of dirty memory pages. If you increase this value from 15 to 20 (a large value) will result into less frequent flushes.

vm.dirty_ratio contains the value 40, which is a percentage of total system memory, the number of pages at which a process which is generating disk writes will itself start writing out dirty data. This is nothing but the ratio at which dirty pages created by application disk writes will be flushed out to disk. A value of 40 means that data will be written into system memory until the file system cache has a size of 40% of the server's RAM. So if you've 10GB ram, data will be written into system memory until the file system cache has a size of 4GB.
______
So I did some more research on this and it does indeed seem that these values should be increased for increased battery performance... What I found shows that vm.dirty_ratio at 95 and vm.dirty_background_ratio at 60 are the best settings. That being said, I don't think the sysctl.conf file is actually being applied. I ran cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio and got a result of 20 and then ran cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio and got a result of 5. What do we need to do to get these settings to apply?
_
**also here is where i ask how to erase batt stats and adjust the dirty ratio manually
__
Originally Posted by gmenfan83
How can I go about erasing the batt stats and the dirty ratio?
To wipe battery stats:
Boot into clockwork recovery and use the advanced menu to wipe your battery stats.

To adjust the dirty ratio:
Currently it doesn't appear that the sysctl.conf file is actually being applied, so simply adjusting the values in there won't do anything. You will need to run a script in a terminal emulator which will reset every boot until it's worked in permanently. You can do this by typing in terminal emulator:

su
echo 60 > proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
echo 95 > proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio

where 60 and 95 represent the percentage value you wish your ratios to be set at.

Edit: What Sephtin said. Do at your own risk

Upvote 0
ok guys it seems there may be a quick fix to the batt life. systctl.conf issue I put up yesterday...this is just a link to the page I would have copied and pasted but to be honest I'm at work and its just easier to post a link since I'm using my x
Note..I have not tried this myself as of yet but hopefully it works at least until a possible patch is whiped up........all credit goes to Droid xchat.
...If you follow the link and scroll through the page you will find his post with instructions
just trying to keep you all updated
Often imitated, never duplicated! Focused 1.8.6 - Page 37 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Upvote 0
flashed the ROM, my phone has been rebooting for the last 10 minutes... is that normal (please say yes).

That may be too long but sometimes it happens ....wait it out for a few....if not then try doing a couple batt pulls and see if it will reboot or do this and try to get into recovery mode...I have seen where sometimes up to 10 pulls or more sometimes will eventually get you into recovery ..maybe.....did you follow all instructions? ....if all else fails then you may have to sbf and restart with the Rom......here is what you will need for sbf just in case
Droid X 2.2 Full SBF leaked - Download now

Reactions: gadgetmom88
Upvote 0
Followed all the directions. Was able to boot into recovery. I did a factory reset from there and wiped the phone. Booted up perfectly after that. Rom intact. Phone is resetting itself now. Can't believe how fast it's going! Very impressed so far. Thanks for the help.

No problem man .....glad you got it worked out without too much headache

Upvote 0
Ok I think I fd up lol.....I use chomp SMS and for some reason even with notifications turned off in the message app that comes with this Rom I was still getting notifications through it and chomp.....so I decided that if I go to titanium and simply uninstall the message app I would only get a notification through chomp and it would be corrected but I am not getting notification through chomp ...I think its reliant on the message app I uninstalled....so now when I try to restore through titanium there is no option to reinstall.......any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Ok I think I fd up lol.....I use chomp SMS and for some reason even with notifications turned off in the message app that comes with this Rom I was still getting notifications through it and chomp.....so I decided that if I go to titanium and simply uninstall the message app I would only get a notification through chomp and it would be corrected but I am not getting notification through chomp ...I think its reliant on the message app I uninstalled....so now when I try to restore through titanium there is no option to reinstall.......any suggestions?

Sounds like you might have to extract the messaging app file and install it again? or just reinstall the ROM and live with the two notifications :D I use handcent and don't get two notifications if I turn off the normal messaging notifications.

edit: guess that really doesn't help you if you reinstall the messaging app and still get two notifications...haven't had my coffee yet...

Upvote 0
Sounds like you might have to extract the messaging app file and install it again? or just reinstall the ROM and live with the two notifications :D I use handcent and don't get two notifications if I turn off the normal messaging notifications.

edit: guess that really doesn't help you if you reinstall the messaging app and still get two notifications...haven't had my coffee yet...

Lol thanks bro ....I have never had double notifications yet and have always used chomp ....if I extract it from the original Rom download would I just place it in root explorer?and if so where would I place it?

Upvote 0
Lol thanks bro ....I have never had double notifications yet and have always used chomp ....if I extract it from the original Rom download would I just place it in root explorer?and if so where would I place it?

Not really sure, I thought you would know! :p I think you have to use adb to push it to your phone but I'm not sure exactly - this might help:

Basic adb/shell commands for noobs - xda-developers

Reactions: gmenfan83
Upvote 0
This may sound like an odd question, but I was wondering if Rubix supported the noise canceling hardware built into the phone. I don't know whether specific Motorola drivers are needed for it to function, or if it just works by virtue of the fact that the hardware exists.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Upvote 0
ok here we go again guys ...it seems droid xchat has come up with a fix with a zip file rather than having to edit values and ratios manually.....drod says he is well aware of the issue and that he was just testing more or less and that a new updated and amazing version of 1.8.9 will be released soon with the fix ....again just trying to keep everyone updated
all credit go to droidxchat,and others who were involved in the fix

Nice! can't wait!! And for those of you who don't want to wait for the new version to have your sysctl.conf fix, here's it is:

UPDATED FIX to KNOWN BUG - SYSCTL.CONF NOT BEING EXECUTED ON BOOT

This will set your sysctl.conf to the following variables:

Code:
vm.swappiness = 0
vm.min_free_kbytes = 2048
vm.dirty_ratio = 95
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 60
vm.oom_kill_allocating_task = 1
This will also make those changes persistent after reboot, even if you use jrummy's app and change frequencies at boot!!

This will also enable 01cpu, 02vm (which calls sysctl.conf), 03banner, and 04screen in init.d. I was going to remove 01cpu, but by drod's suggestion in the above quote, I decided to leave it because he probably knows better than I do. Drod intended each of these to be enabled but because of a conflict, they haven't been enabled persistently (until this fix).

Install this fix as you would any other fix, by MAKING A BACKUP and then installing zip from sdcard in bootstrap recovery. You do NOT need to wipe data/cache.

I am not responsible for damage to your phone, and this fix is not supported by the rom developer.
Attached Files
SysctlFix.zip (5.8 KB, 0 views)
****here is the link to the page where if you scroll you can find his post and the link to the zip.......for some reason it did not copy and paste correctly
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ated-never-duplicated-focused-1-8-6-a-45.html

Upvote 0
So good...except for one thing ... Droid x blur camera takes great pics... this cam app looks like a turd... any way to switch can apps.?

For a better camera you would prob have to go to the market ...I believe and someone can correct me if wrong but the blur camera requires too much frame work to be able to run on this Rom since it is "blureless "...I use vignette ...its a great camera app

Upvote 0
For a better camera you would prob have to go to the market ...I believe and someone can correct me if wrong but the blur camera requires too much frame work to be able to run on this Rom since it is "blureless "...I use vignette ...its a great camera app

I have been using the D2 Blur camera from the Fission add on folder. Works great with RubiX, Panoramic and everything.

A couple questions...when I press calibrate compass it Force Closes, any ideas on how to fix this? Also I don't see the 3G Hotspot app in my drawer, is it buriied somewhere in the ROM? Or available on the Market (I didn't find it there)?

I think most people get it from the TBH app.

GMB

Upvote 0
I had used 1.6 for a while then moved over to fission. I decided to try rubix again with this update but have been having problems getting it to install. I flashed back to 2.2 from fission, did a factory reset, rooted, and deodexed. When I try to install using bootstrap and the installation instructions, installation starts then crashes giving me a file not found/present error on line x (can't remember all the details this was yesterday). If I tried rebooting, I got stuck on the M logo. I was able to get into the bootloader and flash back to 2.2 again. I tried again doing the whole process over again and ended up with the same results. It seems there some file missing from my phone that installation can't proceed without or perhaps I got a bad copy of the rom?

Upvote 0
I had used 1.6 for a while then moved over to fission. I decided to try rubix again with this update but have been having problems getting it to install. I flashed back to 2.2 from fission, did a factory reset, rooted, and deodexed. When I try to install using bootstrap and the installation instructions, installation starts then crashes giving me a file not found/present error on line x (can't remember all the details this was yesterday). If I tried rebooting, I got stuck on the M logo. I was able to get into the bootloader and flash back to 2.2 again. I tried again doing the whole process over again and ended up with the same results. It seems there some file missing from my phone that installation can't proceed without or perhaps I got a bad copy of the rom?

Sounds like you have a corrupt download. Try re-downloading. Also no reason to de-odex if you are just going to flash another ROM.

GMB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones