• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to go like last Friday but on a grander scale. Some stores are going to sell them to anyone that is there. Some stores are going to sell one or two and then stop. Some aren't going to sell any at all and say it's not been released. All in all thousands will end up with them by Friday morning and 10's of thousands will be even more frustrated than before.

Hopefully it will force VZW's hand to issue the full release statement by Thursday night or first thing Friday morning opening the flood gates for everyone to get one. More than likely it will come out to the masses next week on Tuesday or Thursday.

Oh yes, baby. This is EXACTLY what will happen. Good call!

Upvote 0
I just put one on hold at the Verizon in East Providence on Taunton Ave. He said that they are 100% definitely releasing the phone tomorrow. This is after 7 other stores told me they are not. Go figure

Thanks, thats some good news! i'm going to try calling the Warwick VZW in the bed bath and beyond plaza on rt.2 and see what they say.

Upvote 0
To stir the pot, but maybe the corporate stores aren't tight lipped. Maybe they do in fact know that the phone isn't releasing tomorrow and the third party places are getting their information from us?

Just a thought.

I have to disagree. The non-corp store I went to last night had a very helpful guy there. The 15th came down from HIS corporate office. He knows about this epic thread, and confirmed that the majority of our leads over the past couple weeks have been spot-on. Just the idiots at the executive level effed it up and delayed.

Upvote 0
I swear, everytime we get to a launch day, they release some new Droid and then cancel the gnex. Ok so its only happened once so far but its starting to feel like it will happen again tomorrow. The gnex can coexist peacefully with Droid, I promise. Man I'm really wishing now that they would have called this the Droid prime. I mean, google seems embarrassed about this phone anyway since its the first nexus, and one of few android phones to not have googles logo on it, so I'm sure they wouldn't have minded the droid prime name change. Then maybe it would have been out on time.

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
To stir the pot, but maybe the corporate stores aren't tight lipped. Maybe they do in fact know that the phone isn't releasing tomorrow and the third party places are getting their information from us?

Just a thought.

Definitely possible. When I was at Radio Shack a few days ago, the guy asked his coworker to look up the release date for him on phone arena.

Not really official info...

That said, I think there have been quite a few corporate stores saying tomorrow, although I think more have been saying "dunno"

Upvote 0
I swear, everytime we get to a launch day, they release some new Droid and then cancel the gnex. Ok so its only happened once so far but its starting to feel like it will happen again tomorrow. The gnex can coexist peacefully with Droid, I promise. Man I'm really wishing now that they would have called this the Droid prime. I mean, google seems embarrassed about this phone anyway since its the first nexus, maybe even first android phone to not have googles logo on it, so I'm sure they wouldn't have minded the droid prime name change. Then maybe it would have been out on time.

Well, they got the Droid 4 for next week to jab us with. Although, I won't be waiting that long.

Upvote 0
Anyone hear anything from stores in Wisconsin? My two corporate stores are mum on the subject.

They apparently all are mum, since they have been told nothing other than DO NOT display or offer the Nexus for a demo. They know ZIP.

The only thing stated was they MIGHT get a release tomorrow, but no formal announcement- even if does release tomorrow.

99% emphasis on the Razr and the new over-priced tablets.

Upvote 0
I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to go like last Friday but on a grander scale. Some stores are going to sell them to anyone that is there. Some stores are going to sell one or two and then stop. Some aren't going to sell any at all and say it's not been released. All in all thousands will end up with them by Friday morning and 10's of thousands will be even more frustrated than before.

Hopefully it will force VZW's hand to issue the full release statement by Thursday night or first thing Friday morning opening the flood gates for everyone to get one. More than likely it will come out to the masses next week on Tuesday or Thursday.

It will be interesting. I will definitely be a bit jealous of people who get one tomorrow at non corporate stores. I just can't bring myself to pay the $150 more and try that myself, so I'm sort of stuck "waiting" on Verizon. $650 is bad enough, much less $800 at other places.

I guess I could try to find Authorized Re-sellers who think tomorrow is the day, do they normally match the corporate store pricing?

And honestly who knows? Maybe tomorrow will be the day ...

Upvote 0
I was 100% sure of the release of this phone tomorrow but my confidence has dropped significantly. I still think there's a chance, but it's small. I got the same rep on the phone that had told me last week that it was tentatively scheduled for the 9th but there was a chance it would be delayed. She told me that there is absolutely nothing set right now and they aren't allowed to divulge tentative dates anymore because of the bad PR they were getting from it.

She said all they are ALLOWED to say is it will be out 100% sure before Christmas.

What gets my goat is they do this all the while we KNOW they have plenty of stock in most stores that could technically be getting sold NOW and that SOME have snuck out of atleast a few third party retailers. If you have stock ready for MOST people(maybe not all), why not just pick and date and go with it. On top of all this we also know the shipped phones are already at least one software update behind, what would it matter if they are two and the latest update wouldn't be ready until after release?

To me this all adds up to the sales are being held for reasons unrelated to the readyness to start selling the device from a support and logistical standpoint. It seems pretty obvious now it's being held NONE of us would be pleased about if we knew the whole truth. What I would really like to know is how long the device has been technically ready and when the earliest point was they could have logistically had stock available and launch set. Knowing this would probably make most of us even more ticked off about the whole behind the scenes ordeal that is obviously going on.

Upvote 0
My store in Tampa confirmed my appointment for 9AM and is plugging one in for me right now so it will be fully charged. She was taking it out of the box for me to give it some juice as we spoke on the phone. She said that she did not expect a huge rush at the store since there is no time for advertisements and most people only know about it from "online forums."

Reactions: mcchea and Slide83
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones