• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Ending Unlimited Data for Grandfathered Users

So how come my cable company, who I have had my home Internet service through forever, can offer unlimited data to everyone but no cell company can? I agree, we should start a petition to get congress involved here.

That might not last that long because cable IPSs might be next in line to do this. Though it failed due to public outcry, a year ago Time Warner Cable wanted to start tiering their bandwidth as well. So enjoy the river before it gets dammed up by every provider.

Upvote 0
No one should be okay with this! This is just one more thing in a very long list of total scams by Verizon! I was with Alltel before this monster sucked them up. They have changed warranty policy, new every two, upgrade fee, activation fee and now no unlimited data even if I've been on the plan for 5 years and with Alltel and Verizon for 13 or more. I can see that this will do it for me though. I am not rich enough for Verizon. We must stay on them! Don't give in to the blood suckers please!

Upvote 0
aaron5610 if you don't agree with their policies then when your contract is up you can take your money elsewhere. Verizon is not the cheapest carrier out there and doesn't claim to be.

If your issue really is with unlimited data it is going away for all carriers slowly but surely. Be sure to talk to others in your area about their coverage with other carriers before jumping ship however...remember the grass isn't always greener ;)

Upvote 0
aaron5610 if you don't agree with their policies then when your contract is up you can take your money elsewhere. Verizon is not the cheapest carrier out there and doesn't claim to be.

If your issue really is with unlimited data it is going away for all carriers slowly but surely. Be sure to talk to others in your area about their coverage with other carriers before jumping ship however...remember the grass isn't always greener ;)

yes and this is why verizon is having record profits every single quarter too. i am really tired of being treated this way. i am glad that verizon still has customers such as yourself, but i am just not one of them. i do not use to much data and that is not the point. if i want to watch a movie on netflix when i am out and not around wifi, i would just like to be able to do that and not worry if i am going to use to much. the way that they advertise these phones and tablets is to be on the internet all the time. the way it will be now is downloading a data meter app and watching that all day, what a joke! come on verizon! at least leave the legacy people alone!

Upvote 0
yes and this is why verizon is having record profits every single quarter too. i am really tired of being treated this way. i am glad that verizon still has customers such as yourself, but i am just not one of them. i do not use to much data and that is not the point. if i want to watch a movie on netflix when i am out and not around wifi, i would just like to be able to do that and not worry if i am going to use to much. the way that they advertise these phones and tablets is to be on the internet all the time. the way it will be now is downloading a data meter app and watching that all day, what a joke! come on verizon! at least leave the legacy people alone!

I'm on the grandfathered, unlimited plan and I'm peeved about this issue too, but let's at least try to be factual about Verizon:
VZ Income Statement | Verizon Communications Inc. Com Stock - Yahoo! Finance

Verizon's made less in profit in 2011 than they did in 2010, and less in 2010 than they did in 2009. And in Q4 2011, they made a net loss.

Upvote 0

By switching to a tiered system they are actually holding the customer accountable for the data they use...seems very reasonable, if you want to watch netflix on the go then you know you will need to pay for it...Verizon wants it's tiered customers to want to watch netflix on the go since they are paying for the data they use. The issue with unlimited is it is not sustainable. People on unlimited plans have issues with switching to tiered plans. People on tiered plans have issues with network congestion at times causing lower data speeds. Verizon is a company they are going to look at what makes them money and what will keep them alive in the future...and I believe most current phones have the capability of tracking your data use without the need for an app ;)

Reactions: dirkbonn
Upvote 0
Good ol Verizon. You want a subsidized phone that will cost you X amount of money. And by the way, your unlimited plan is now tiered. And don't forget to pay us an additional $30 to screw you. Have a nice day, and can you hear me now?

Verizon backpedaled again.
Verizon customers can keep unlimited data if they forgo device subsidies | Mobile - CNET News

Just buy at full price and you keep your unlimited data.

For those of us who use 5GB a month, buying the phone at full price is actually a better deal. 5GB plan currently cost $50, so I would be paying $20 a month more or $480 over 2 years. Throw in the cost of a phone if I got it subsidized ($200 or more) and the total cost would be $680 +. I can pay full retail for less than that, especially if Google really does allow more phone manufacturers to sell via google market.

Upvote 0
For those of us who use 5GB a month, buying the phone at full price is actually a better deal. 5GB plan currently cost $50, so I would be paying $20 a month more or $480 over 2 years. Throw in the cost of a phone if I got it subsidized ($200 or more) and the total cost would be $680 +. I can pay full retail for less than that, especially if Google really does allow more phone manufacturers to sell via google market.

Love your way of thinking but aren't we going to need vzw chipset phones which would need to be purchased at full cost through vzw? So once again, they hold the cards. All they have to do is raise the retail cost to a level it no longer makes sense.

Upvote 0
Verizon backpedaled again.
Verizon customers can keep unlimited data if they forgo device subsidies | Mobile - CNET News

Just buy at full price and you keep your unlimited data.

This is how it always had read. You have to upgrade phone through VZW to get new contract. Don't get phone for discounted price through them and no new contract or plan change. This is how all carriers work.

And jump ship to Sprint, they will do the same thing within two years. Its how all industries work. Follow the leader.

Reactions: Satires
Upvote 0
Love your way of thinking but aren't we going to need vzw chipset phones which would need to be purchased at full cost through vzw? So once again, they hold the cards. All they have to do is raise the retail cost to a level it no longer makes sense.

Yeah and google has made it clear that CDMA does not mix with true nexus anymore...we will have the option to purchase thru authrorized vendors (amazon and the like) as well as getting used phones

Upvote 0
And jump ship to Sprint, they will do the same thing within two years. Its how all industries work. Follow the leader.

I agree.
This issue with Verizon has made me evaluate my monthly expenditures on telecommunications particularly my cellphone bill.

Lately with all the hiccups and issues I have had with my phone and Verizon's network apparently taking a dive in my area I really have to wonder if paying an extra $50 a month to Verizon over another carrier that has strong service in my area is worth it.

With $50 a month saved money I can d quite a bit.
The decision to save $50 a month and jumping to another carrier with a data cap or pseudo cap is not one to take lightly.

I have had too many problems with Verizon and their coverage lately to ignore the fact that they seem to be going in the wrong direction here and it's not just me having issues but friends, family, co-workers... all reporting issues with calls dropping, bad quality, not getting calls, etc etc.

I know I am a customer that makes money for Verizon.
I use like 4GB a month on average and my wife uses around 2 a month.

The problem I am having with this soul searching is like you said... they follow the leader and whoever I jump to will be doing it before long.

Yeah and google has made it clear that CDMA does not mix with true nexus anymore...we will have the option to purchase thru authrorized vendors (amazon and the like) as well as getting used phones

This.

And this is another reason why I am considering a change back to a GSM carrier.
I like to tinker with my devices and I like the "pure" devices.
Verizon does not offer such a device and I really miss that capability.

I think Google got burned by Verizon on the Nexus.:eek:

Upvote 0
Once unlimited data goes away, there will be little to no reason for me to stay if I can get a nice(r) phone on another carrier. It's really odd that a device would drive my carrier of choice, but it might lead to that.

I know the cellphone carriers do not want to be "pipes" such as utility companies, but what do you guys think about metered data plans? Treat the data services similar to electric/gas/water utilities. It might deter people from going 50GB+ a month on their cellphone data service.

This.

And this is another reason why I am considering a change back to a GSM carrier.
I like to tinker with my devices and I like the "pure" devices.
Verizon does not offer such a device and I really miss that capability.

I think Google got burned by Verizon on the Nexus.:eek:

With the "delayed" launch of the device and second hand treatment the phone was getting, I wasn't really upset (or surprised) that S/W updates from VZW have not occurred on the G-Nex. I do believe VZW approach to the G-Nex has hampered perceptions of what to expect from a Nexus device and I don't forsee VZW getting another device because of this. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say VZW is behind this to make the G-Nex look bad and the other Android phones look awesome in comparison.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
I think metered plans would be a good way to go...hold the consumer accountable for data they use, makes sense to me...or reasonable tiers would be fine to IMO say paying $10 for the first GB and $5 for each GB after seems reasonable to me and that would be $30 for 5GB which is comparable to what people are paying for unlimited.

Everyone should have known the Gnex was going to be ignored by VZW simply because it isn't a Droid...

Upvote 0
I'm on the grandfathered, unlimited plan and I'm peeved about this issue too, but let's at least try to be factual about Verizon:
VZ Income Statement | Verizon Communications Inc. Com Stock - Yahoo! Finance

Verizon's made less in profit in 2011 than they did in 2010, and less in 2010 than they did in 2009. And in Q4 2011, they made a net loss.

I see a profit of
65,000,000 in 2011
62,416,000 in 2010
63,229,000 in 2009

However, the net income has gone down. But you have to remember they just recently (within the last couple years) kick started their 4G LTE networks. Those are going to have initial huge costs (buying new antennas, radios, and what not). However, after that, they are just going to go back to maintaining them as they did with 3G which doesn't involve huge costs. Maybe 5G will be here by then and we will have download speeds of 10000Gbps and we will have a plan that only allows us 2gb.

At those who say its the direction that data internet is going... towards tiered plans. What happened with voice? I remember you could buy like 300 for 39.99, then some cricket went out and said hey, 50 bucks for unlimited minutes. Then other companies jumped on the bandwagon. I think Verizon even did it at one time. However, now they are back pedaling? I think they know we are hooked on phones so much and there are only a few nationwide companies, they can have back door meetings to say hey, lets do this and that.

Just my two cents which the way the economy is going might be worth .00000000002 cents.

Upvote 0
I have a 20 discount per line on a grandfathered in plan of unlimited data. This means I get unlimited data on four phones for 40.00. The discount is for life and can't be taken away unless I quit. I wonder what they are going to do about that.

I'm sure they can magically make it fall off, I've seen some people post it happened to them and is near impossible to get it back on.

Upvote 0
I have a 20 discount per line on a grandfathered in plan of unlimited data. This means I get unlimited data on four phones for 40.00. The discount is for life and can't be taken away unless I quit. I wonder what they are going to do about that.

Well I will be happy if I can keep my unlimited for 9.99 by buying phones at retail, that is better than I thought.

Yeah this is the same boat I am in too. I have 2 lines both with the for life promo. The way I see it that is $960 every 2 years savings which would cover the cost for new phones more or less and that would be if there is a $30/line tier that works for me. Another benefit would be getting off contract so if I wish to jump ship later I can without penalty.

Upvote 0
I see a profit of
65,000,000 in 2011
62,416,000 in 2010
63,229,000 in 2009

However, the net income has gone down. But you have to remember they just recently (within the last couple years) kick started their 4G LTE networks. Those are going to have initial huge costs (buying new antennas, radios, and what not). However, after that, they are just going to go back to maintaining them as they did with 3G which doesn't involve huge costs. Maybe 5G will be here by then and we will have download speeds of 10000Gbps and we will have a plan that only allows us 2gb.

At those who say its the direction that data internet is going... towards tiered plans. What happened with voice? I remember you could buy like 300 for 39.99, then some cricket went out and said hey, 50 bucks for unlimited minutes. Then other companies jumped on the bandwagon. I think Verizon even did it at one time. However, now they are back pedaling? I think they know we are hooked on phones so much and there are only a few nationwide companies, they can have back door meetings to say hey, lets do this and that.

Just my two cents which the way the economy is going might be worth .00000000002 cents.

I don't think the current tiers will be able to last. Data use is rising the tiers will need to be adjuster over time.

The issue with data is the carriers didn't realize how fast it was going to grow, they are being forced to adapt because they didn't realize the iPhone was going to make everyone "need" a data connection on their phone. I doubt there are those backdoor meetings but rather a monkey see monkey do type situation...ma bell wouldn't risk meetings like that ;)

hey your 2

Upvote 0

Maybe, maybe not. Google owns Motorola which makes phones for Verizon. They could very easily sell these phones on their google market. But you are probably right. They would just jack up the cost of a full retail phone. However, Verizon doesn't dictate to Apple like they do with other manufacturers. it's the other way around with Apple. So one could buy an apple device at a price that could produce minimal savings...less than $50. the other possibility is that manufacturers start mass producing unlocked 4G phones (full retail) that work on all US networks as is rumored apple will do with the iPhone 5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones