• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 Update March. 26th

What would a (long overdue) WinMo 6.5 update have to do with the Moment?

The original leak stated that the TP2 would be updated on 3/16 followed by the Hero on 3/26 and the moment on 3/31. The fact that the TP2 got updated lends credence to the other 2 also being updated soon.

:mad:
I saw that they had written to someone:"late Q2".. when they were saying "early Q2" before.

Twitter / Samsung Mobile USA: @AlexTweetsHere early or l ...

I sure hope they mistyped that as all of their earlier tweats were saying early 2Q.

Here's one from March 2nd:

Great! Sprint/Samsung expect to upgrade the Android software on the Moment from1.5 directly to 2.1 by early Q2 of 2010

If they are now saying Late 2Q, that's not untill June :/

And in a week or two it will be "coming in early Q3 as tweeted earlier"

If we were having a pool, I'd go with June 30th. Actually, I think I'll take Thanksgiving. Now don't get me wrong, I'd rather wait and get a solid update than have them release it buggy and then have to patch it up. OTH, it seems obvious to me with the whole CL14 thing that Samsung has tasked very few resouces to this phone. Even a small bug found in the 2.1 beta could take a long time to fix. The real kicker will be if the Hero gets updated soon and we have to wait 2-3 months, then I will be really pissed off! I hope that I'm entirely wrong and that the update comes out in a week or two.

Well I used the alternate home apps and they either lag lag lag or force close too often! I was under the impression that they would figure this as a bug or two but I was wrong cause no one else seemed to have these issues! I hate the lock screen thing cause its just the same and two apps fighting to force close is just too much! Compile the sht it takes to make me happy and sht the fck up is what I'll tell them dudes! Oh and hurry up! I said a moment, not all day!
pandahome gave me problems, lag being the most annoying, I have since switched to GDE and I can say I see very little difference compared to the stock home app, GDE has been running great!

Posted this in Hero forum, too.

Just saw this update today and am happy to pass it along :) :

Issue: Unable to download incoming picture notifications
Impacted Phones: HTC Hero™
Fix: Fix will be part of a maintenance release tentatively scheduled for 4/9/10

Notice it says *TENTATIVELY*. This is all the info I have, I assume it will be released for the Moment the same date. If I hear another date, I'll pass it along.

My Hero is having no probs with picture mail, but I'm holding my breath anyway. Only one day till the date on thread title is here!!

As much as I love my moment...I'm somewhat upset that it's taking this long to get a plain non altered *Sense, Touchwiz type stuff* to this device. I know our small SDX community is doing what they can to get a functional 2.1

I think I'll just jump ship when the EVO is released...cause this shit is ridiculous. They might as well not post tweets & or announce anything regarding the update for these two phones since they don't know for sure.

it is a Joke that this phone is still running 1.5, the equivalent of a top notch vehicle with manual locks and windows!!!

it is a Joke that this phone is still running 1.5, the equivalent of a top notch vehicle with manual locks and windows!!!

Yeah but you bought that car with manual locks.. Would you be so mad if Chevy didn't come in and upgrade you to power locks and windows?

Yeah but you bought that car with manual locks.. Would you be so mad if Chevy didn't come in and upgrade you to power locks and windows?

Cell phones are not cars, and updates are expected.

You're right though Samsung is under no compulsion to do upgrades and can choose to let us use the phones as we bought them. Just like we will then be able to choose not to purchase Samsung cell phones in the future, no matter how good the hardware seems.

I'm new to smartphones and actually stumbled into Android. I only got the Hero and Moment because the price was good and the phones looked nice, I never even heard of Android.

That said, I've never had software upgraded on a phone after I bought it and I didn't buy these phones with that expectation. I'd be fine if I never got one. I am happy the Moment got CL14 though, that phone had horrible battery life before that.

The 2.1 update was one of the reasons I got the phone, but I knew that there was no solid date. I'm just hope we get it soon. I think this is a really good phone as is, but the update should make it batter.

@sandmansandine the Samsung Moment android update is hopefully coming in late Q2 as mentioned in earlier tweets.

this is from samsung mobile twitter 22 hours ago

I'm really hoping that' s a typo on Samsung's end as none of their previous tweets has ever said anything regarding late 2nd Quarter.

As much as I love my moment...I'm somewhat upset that it's taking this long to get a plain non altered *Sense, Touchwiz type stuff* to this device.

First of all, be careful the HTC owners don't string you up for comparing sense and touchwiz. Secondly, be careful us moment users don't string you up for suggesting Samsung put touchwiz on the moment. If Samsung did that I would force Sprint to give me a Hero or I would leave. There is no way I would ever own another touchwiz phone.

Oh no no lol I wasn't comparing sense to touchwiz or implying we get touchwiz. I'm happy that our moments were just plain ol unaltered 1.5, I assumed that would also have made it easier to get an update rolling but gosh it's taking for ever.

Your post is quite meaningless due to the bolded statement. I actually would have expected an upgrade long before now for the sheer fact I can't stream music. I also expect an upgrade because the version that came on the phone wasn't intended for this phone. I expect an upgrade because this is a young OS and constantly being updated as the OS matures. If this was an already mature OS, I wouldn't expect an upgrade, but it's not. There are still bugs, glitches and deficiencies that need to be addressed as well as functionality some would deem basic based on prior smartphone OS's. And while new updates solve some of these things, they often create more problems elsewhere. It's the old three steps forward, two steps back thing. And as long as they take so many steps back after an update or initial release, they should maintain the phone. Part of this problem (if you want to call it that) is Android is so fractured with each mfg running multiple versions of the OS, stylized to their liking. That means there is a lot more effort to update a phone than if it ran stock vanilla android, and how long does a company want to deal with upgrading when they want to focus on selling their new phones?
I'm new to smartphones and actually stumbled into Android. I only got the Hero and Moment because the price was good and the phones looked nice, I never even heard of Android.

That said, I've never had software upgraded on a phone after I bought it and I didn't buy these phones with that expectation. I'd be fine if I never got one. I am happy the Moment got CL14 though, that phone had horrible battery life before that.

Your post is quite meaningless due to the bolded statement. I actually would have expected an upgrade long before now for the sheer fact I can't stream music. I also expect an upgrade because the version that came on the phone wasn't intended for this phone. I expect an upgrade because this is a young OS and constantly being updated as the OS matures. If this was an already mature OS, I wouldn't expect an upgrade, but it's not. There are still bugs, glitches and deficiencies that need to be addressed as well as functionality some would deem basic based on prior smartphone OS's. And while new updates solve some of these things, they often create more problems elsewhere. It's the old three steps forward, two steps back thing. And as long as they take so many steps back after an update or initial release, they should maintain the phone. Part of this problem (if you want to call it that) is Android is so fractured with each mfg running multiple versions of the OS, stylized to their liking. That means there is a lot more effort to update a phone than if it ran stock vanilla android, and how long does a company want to deal with upgrading when they want to focus on selling their new phones?

Maybe another meaningless post for ya then.

My Hero has worked flawlessly since I got it, including streaming music. My wifes Moment has worked pretty well since it got CL14. I think she listens to Pandora and hasn't complained about it since CL14 either. Maybe we don't use them to thier full potential, but for day to day use they've been fine.

I personally wouldn't have bought a phone that didn't work out of the box, but I couldn't convince my wife to ditch the Moment.

post isn't meaningless, just the expectation. That expectation is one of the reasons of buying a smartphone. Everyone uses their phones differently, and everyone is used to having access to certain features.

And it's tough to give up the Moment. Some just can't give up the keyboard. And I had no problems in general with either the Hero or the Moment, yet my coworkers had nothing but issues. Everyone is different, and that's why some of them now have the Pixi (including me).

Maybe another meaningless post for ya then.

My Hero has worked flawlessly since I got it, including streaming music. My wifes Moment has worked pretty well since it got CL14. I think she listens to Pandora and hasn't complained about it since CL14 either. Maybe we don't use them to thier full potential, but for day to day use they've been fine.

I personally wouldn't have bought a phone that didn't work out of the box, but I couldn't convince my wife to ditch the Moment.

Oh no no lol I wasn't comparing sense to touchwiz or implying we get touchwiz. I'm happy that our moments were just plain ol unaltered 1.5, I assumed that would also have made it easier to get an update rolling but gosh it's taking for ever.

Well now I just wanna throw my moment out a window as I just threw up a little in my mouth. I was reading about the korean 2.1 for moment over at SDX and it in fact has the dreaded worst UI ever known as touchmywiz. I don't know if I will even take a chance on waiting to find out now. I have till the 3rd to return the moment to Best Buy and I just might have to.

Back
Top Bottom