• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android Kitkat 4.4.2 Release

Which operating system is better?

• Android 4.3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When rooting, is the unbrick tool necessary? Can't I just use adb to boot philz from the bootloader?
You can use any PC and OS as long as adb and fastboot both work correctly. I am a Linux user and can't/won't troubleshoot Windows/Mac issues. The unbrick tool eliminates those issues.

You can use any PC and OS as long as adb and fastboot both work correctly. I am a Linux user and can't/won't troubleshoot Windows/Mac issues. The unbrick tool eliminates those issues.

Ok just checking. I don't have anything to burn the ISO to but I know I've gotten adb and fastboot working on my pc before.

Ok just checking. I don't have anything to burn the ISO to but I know I've gotten adb and fastboot working on my pc before.
You can use unetbootin to make a bootable usb flash drive if your pc supports booting to usb.

You can use unetbootin to make a bootable usb flash drive if your pc supports booting to usb.

It's cool. I've already got a guide from XDA on how to get it working. It's pretty simple so I'll be able to get it done sometime tonight

so the library computers wouldnt boot to usb or cd so i went and downloaded a virtual machine and booted the iso, took a second to get the right settings but i got it to boot, i rooted the phone but forgot to grab a nandroid before i flashed recovery, i can get a nandroid of everything but the recovery partion with the original recovery, but if you look in the ota update that i posted it has a recovery image in it so that should work for flashing back to a stock recovery should it not?

so the library computers wouldnt boot to usb or cd so i went and downloaded a virtual machine and booted the iso, took a second to get the right settings but i got it to boot, i rooted the phone but forgot to grab a nandroid before i flashed recovery, i can get a nandroid of everything but the recovery partion with the original recovery, but if you look in the ota update that i posted it has a recovery image in it so that should work for flashing back to a stock recovery should it not?
yes, it does have the recovery.img. they renamed it to recovery.img.kk and i thought at first it was a patch. I just unpacked it and it appears to be the full img so i think we are good :)

Please upload the boot.img and system.ext4.tar.a files and I will make some roms.

working on it now just waiting for the phone to finish the backup

edit uploading now, hopefully will finish in time before my time on the computer at the library finishes.

Last edited:
looking the uploading file it looks like it added a ".a" to the file name, dont know why or if it makes a difference, and only about 5 minutes left till it is finished uploading

looking the uploading file it looks like it added a ".a" to the file name, dont know why or if it makes a difference, and only about 5 minutes left till it is finished uploading
the .a is the file name of the one i want :)

Anyone want to try the deodexed rom? Only flash this if you have already updated to 4.4.2 and have made a backup :)

stormer_stock_B06_deodexed.zip

Once this has been tested, i will post the partition updater for the rest of you so you can update without losing your custom recovery and root.

edit: newer version available in a later post

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom