• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new phone rumors for Sprint?

LOL! Sorry EM. :D

I don't know if you ever heard/read how I got my Evo. I didn't pre order. I thought I could just waltz on into Sprint launch day and get one. They wouldn't sell me one no matter what. Told me they only had stock for those who pre ordered (I have a rant about that but that's for another thread).

I went home and called EVERY Sprint store in PA, NJ, DE & NY. Feeling defeated I decided to go to BB and spend money (on nothing important).
As I'm exiting BB a SUV with Sprint on the side pulls in.

I approach this woman and say I have a "complaint".... as I'm sharing my Evo woe is me story, she pulls hers out (the nerve), makes a phone call and 10 min later I got my brand new Evo from one of the very stores who told me they were all sold out and wouldn't have any inventory for a couple of weeks due to backorder.

The End.

Lmao! :D

Ok, you're going to love this. :)

Long, boring story, read at your own risk -

One night, I'm calling Sprint support - again. And after lots of clicking, this voice comes on and says with great boredom - "You complain a lot. Nothing personal, but I have your record here."

So - we get to chatting - he's Sprint Tier 3 support not far from me and we get to talking. Then he laughs. "Oh wow, lightning storm. We're mostly down and I'm here with nothing to do. Got time?"

So, we chat a while, nothing better to do - he tells me about the Evo. I tell him I lurk here at AF, heard about it. He lurks here too, and has been on Tier 3 support testing it. We discuss it in detail. Much later, I discovered that I'd been given a lot of insider info, but at that point, it was just two old tech dudes shooting the breeze and laughing it up.

He convinces it's what I want, almost hangs up on me if I think he's a salesman. Laughing like heck, I tell him he screwed up and sold me in spite of himself. That was like - very late April or May.

So, being ever so top of things, I stroll in to my Sprint store wearing my typical Hawaiian shirt and pony tail (and they are not happy to see me, convinced I'm returning my phone again) about 3 days before launch and say I want the Evo.

The rep just GLARES and calls over her manager. She comes over and says, "NOW what do you want?"

"An Evo," smiling.

"We don't have that."

"You will soon. And I know that you have some kind of sign-up for it. I talked to this guy...."

Out comes a clipboard. "Fine. But I'll tell you right now, you're not getting one. This list has been filled for weeks."

"Wow. I shoulda come in four weeks ago when I talked to him."

(Language infraction avoided by not repeating what she actually said to that.)

So. June 4th rolls around. No call. I'm disappointed, figure I'll call them later.

End of the day, Ms. Mgr calls.

"I can't believe this - but here goes. We've called everyone on the list after ending up with only one left. You have to get here first thing in the morning or you may not see one for weeks."

"Thanks. I'll get right on that."

"Any chance you can make it here before we close?"

"No. I'm watching TV now. Ok if I let you go?"

And plus, I blew off the next day and waltzed in on the 6th. Mgr appears, steaming.

"What??"

"Got my Evo?" all smiles.

"Yes, but I want one thing out of you. I want you to admit you don't deserve this."

I'm cracking up. "I'm old, wearing a Hawaiian shirt and I have a pony tail. Tell me something I don't know."

She finally breaks a smile, starts laughing, and we became friends.

Three and a half weeks later, they got their next one to sell.

By the morning of the 7th, I was never so thankful for an electronics purchase in my entire life.

That's why I hang out in this thread.

That's what I want to feel again. :)

But the purpose of apps like FoxFi is to connect to the Internet. Since this is simply mirroring what's on the phone I cant see how this would be more reliable than FoxFi. 2 apps with 2 different purposes.

Please elaborate DrEx.

With FoxFi, I always seem to drop signal and connection. Just seems like it would be more reliable than FoxFi, just because it's not a tethering app.

They said that they'd be developing a gallery version soon, but ultimately I'd like them to develop a Navigation version. That's where this app could be so awesome. If they were able to develop a mirroring version for Nav, I'd never have to dock my phone ever!

Forgot to mention the other benefit (but not really applicable for Sprint) is that people won't have to worry about companies noticing data being tethered, since it's not a tethering app...so, data consumption via tether is not an issue.

I'm still lost. If all this app does is mirror what's already on your phone how will it help regarding tethering? Somewhere along the line a connection to the Internet is still needed for data purposes.

I'm still lost. If all this app does is mirror what's already on your phone how will it help regarding tethering? Somewhere along the line a connection to the Internet is still needed for data purposes.

Like I said, can't try it yet. Don't have tablet.

Like I said, can't try it yet. Don't have tablet.

I just reread what I wrote. To clarify, the data I'm referring to would be on device A while B would be the mirrored device which doesn't require data.

Make sense?

I just reread what I wrote. To clarify, the data I'm referring to would be on device A while B would be the mirrored device which doesn't require data.

Make sense?

i have not used it either.. and dont really know it.

but i will make a guess at what it might be doing:

internet > wireless carrier > phone
phone > bluetooth or wifi > tablet

it looks exactly like tethering.. but
the difference would be.. it is a mirror of the phone's screen to the tablet.
so the phone is actually the one sending commands/requests/data to the internet. kind of like a remote control. the tablet is like a dumb-terminal to the phone.

so the phone is actually the one sending commands/requests/data to the internet. kind of like a remote control. the tablet is like a dumb-terminal to the phone.

EXACTLY what I've been trying to say. :D

EXACTLY what I've been trying to say. :D

Okay, I tried it after someone mentioned to me that I could actually use the tablet app on either of my Note 2's...so, I loaded up the Tablet version on my International Note 2.

Dan was correct. It's a bluetooth connection. My evaluation, it's cool and has a lot of potential, but definitely needs a little more work on the functionality of it before I think it'll be an alternate choice to tethering. And Dan was also correct. All the data is being transmitted from the phone. I didn't really use it that long, so I can't really give a full eveluation on it. In the short time that I used it, what I wanted to do was see if I could watch a video on Youtube or Netflix, but it didn't work. From the way that they showed in the video, you could go to another website without needing to touch the phone (but when I tried it, it wasn't quite working like that). So, I'm gonna need a little more time to experiment with it.

If the developers really refine how the app works, I think there's a lot of potential in what this could really do. Eventually, I hope that it would produce a "true" wireless mirror, so that I could have my entire phone completely mirror'd onto the tablet's screen, including interaction with my homescreen and apps. This opens up a lot of possibilities, especially for my car, where I could literally have a custom dock made for a 7-10 inch tablet and just push the phone mirror to the tablet, for continuous use.

There is a small part of me that wants to try Motorola again. A 4000 mah battery would really be nice. Not sure I can do without the micro sd card slot. I think I will wait for the reviews on the phone.

sd card is the one thing I can't sacrifice in a phone. I prefer my music/movies to be with me instead of in the cloud.

Would you need expandable memory if internal storage was big enough?

big enough? to replace a memory slot that allows for any size and as many as you want?

you can make due with a huge internal storage.. 64GB or more.
but not the same as an open slot.

There is a small part of me that wants to try Motorola again. A 4000 mah battery would really be nice. Not sure I can do without the micro sd card slot. I think I will wait for the reviews on the phone.

I can't go without the microSD, but since I'm not eligible for upgrade until next year, I haven't closed the door on Motorola quite yet, so hopefully the follow-up to the X phone in 2014 will be in the running (should I decide to upgrade at that time).

sd card is the one thing I can't sacrifice in a phone. I prefer my music/movies to be with me instead of in the cloud.

Ditto! This lady is my soul sista when it comes to certain "must have" requirements on a smartphone.

The only time I'd actually be okay sacrificing external microSD is if they made a device with 128gb internal storage. A that point, maybe I consider sacrificing the microSD. My preference will always be to have both though.

Hmmmm...well, this would answer how they'd squeeze a 5.9 inch screen into the Note 3. The more I think about it, I probably will just wait until 2014 in the hopes that a truly flexible (foldout) phone/tablet is created. The Note 2 is amazing and can easily get me past 2 years of use (or more), just to hold out for my next upgrade:
Rumor: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will feature ‘unbreakable’ AMOLED display

Let's ignore the fact my sd cards became toast- :D
I will always want expandable memory and here's why.
I do not want all my eggs in one basket.
Even if the phone had 32-64 gigs of on board storage if anything happens to that phone; even a hard reset for that matter- I loose everything.

Hmmmm...well, this would answer how they'd squeeze a 5.9 inch screen into the Note 3. The more I think about it, I probably will just wait until 2014 in the hopes that a truly flexible (foldout) phone/tablet is created. The Note 2 is amazing and can easily get me past 2 years of use (or more), just to hold out for my next upgrade:
Rumor: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will feature ‘unbreakable’ AMOLED display
i read this a few days ago & all I could think was how much I've said the Note 2 could last me 2 years. If Samsung actually does this for the Note 3, the 2 will immediately become my backup phone on launch day. :D

i read this a few days ago & all I could think was how much I've said the Note 2 could last me 2 years. If Samsung actually does this for the Note 3, the 2 will immediately become my backup phone on launch day. :D

You're in good company here,surrounded by countless phone junkies....;)

Hey,everyone needs a hobby,& it's a relatively inexpensive one compared to other vices.

ENJOY THE NOTE 3!:D

Note 8.0 is the only reason I wouldn't jump on board right away (I'd also want them to work out any kinks with the first production models of flexible screens). Otherwise, I'd be lined up with you to pay the full price.

T-Mobile announces May 1 as release date. Anybody recall what Sprint has done in the past, as compared to T-Mobile's Galaxy S Launches?

T-Mobile announces Samsung Galaxy S4 for May 1st release

But, on a side note, I hope that this is a good indicator that the Galaxy Note 8.0 will be released in April some time.

Looks like HTC has a potential to make a comeback, based on pre-orders. That said, I don't know how much their total sales will be initially, but I'm glad they aren't fading away:

HTC One sees ‘several hundred thousand’ pre-orders in the US

Note 8.0 is the only reason I wouldn't jump on board right away (I'd also want them to work out any kinks with the first production models of flexible screens). Otherwise, I'd be lined up with you to pay the full price.

FULL PRICE...... ding ding ding ding ding!
I was waiting for you to say that. What took you so long? LOL! :D
Countless times you've mentioned you're not upgrade eligible to '14 and I'm thinking who he fooling!?

T-Mobile announces May 1 as release date. Anybody recall what Sprint has done in the past, as compared to T-Mobile's Galaxy S Launches?

T-Mobile announces Samsung Galaxy S4 for May 1st release

But, on a side note, I hope that this is a good indicator that the Galaxy Note 8.0 will be released in April some time.

Sprint usually jumps out the gate & launches first.

Countless times you've mentioned you're not upgrade eligible to '14 and I'm thinking who he fooling!?

Hahaha...Well, it's just a good thing I have until October (at least) to wait and see. In the meantime, I want them to hurry up and release the Note 8.0, so I could at least enjoy that for however brief period of time it's actually relevant...LOL.

Sprint usually jumps out the gate & launches first.

it;s usually one of the two...i think tmo had sprint on the last two launches by a week or so tho

Back
Top Bottom