• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best Root Apps

I recently rooted my phone and am wondering what the best apps are that require root access.

now that you are rooted, i moved you to the rooting section.

as far as apps go here are some that i use all the the time:

to over and underclock your phone as well as setting your custom kernel's governor:
SetCPU for Root Users

to delete, freeze, and back up your apps and it's data:
Titanium Backup ★ root
and
Titanium Backup PRO Key ★ root (you will need both to freeze apps)

to search and find things on your system partition this file manager is awesome:
Root Explorer (File Manager)

to get wireless tethering:
Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

and whatever you DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER! it is way tooo buggy and has been known to create more issues then it is worth. plus you need to be on clockwork mod which is also not really a good recovery anywaysl. amon ra 2.3 is the preferred recovery.

Upvote 0
I would throw in ROM Toolbox and System Tuner. Either renders an app like SetCPU worthless because they can do the exact same thing and much, much more. If you're willing to spend a couple bucks on SetCPU, just throw a couple more at one of those two great apps. Edit CPU, SD card tweaks, kernel tweaks, OOM values (without a messy v6 supercharger script), fonts, boot animations and even kernel voltages....there's more I'm sure...the list is extensive to say the least. Both apps are oustanding. In all seriousness, why even bother with SetCPU anymore? It's outdated (although I certainly own it).

Upvote 0
I recently rooted my phone and am wondering what the best apps are that require root access.

-Titanium Backup for sure. Backs up just about every app and data on your phone besides most system apps.
-Battery Configuration for getting about 1-2% better battery life.
-Adblock for blocking nasty ads. Be careful because if you play games like Gun Bros that allow you to get points by completing surveys, etc., Adblock may block these for you
-Super Manager has some cool advanced user stuff.
-HDMwIn is a great one for Evo users because it will display EVERYTHING that you do from your Evo to a tv as long as it's through an HDMI cord.
-Root Explorer allows you to do some advanced stuff on your phone but I'd be highly careful what types of things you get yourself into
-Keneral Manager is a great one for finding good kernels for your phone
-ROM Manager is good for finding ROMs for your phone

I have a few others but don't use them as much. Try just searching for "root access" or something with the word "root" in it on the Play Market to see what other cool root apps you can find. There's lots of great ones yet to be explored.

EDIT: ocnbrze is right though...be careful with ROM Manager. I use it just to find out about ROMs that aren't listed in other places. I do not trust it to flash ROMs for me and I rarely use it to download ROMs. I do like it for screen shots on the go as well as reviews from other members. It's really limited to users who don't use the ClockWorkMod Recovery. I prefer Amon-Ra and it doesn't play well with Amon.

Upvote 0
Shocked no one said this....

-Voodoo App
-Root Checker

Voodoo does temp unroot allowing certain apps to (Flixster to play digital movie copies) allow access to certain abilities that typically are blocked because of root.

Root Checker is used with VooDoo to make sure you do or do not have root.

***Now give me some +1's people!!!***

Upvote 0
I haven't used Adfree in a while just because it interferes with my other apps like games but I guess I got confused with Adblock (Firefox & Chrome) and Adfree (Android) :p

But for the sake of smaller developers, try to support them by not enabling Adfree on their apps/games so they can earn some revenue. I've been trying to do that for those that are struggling or have little to no users :)

Upvote 0
Yes, terminal emulator is a very powerful app. Its very easy to be overlooked because its usually involved in the process of trying to accomplish something else(applying tweaks, moving partitions), but not something you use regularly by itself.
Unless you want to see what the day of the week new years will be on in 20 years... ;)

I am always screwing around with terminal emulator. Though, most of what I do is just that, screwing around.

;D

Upvote 0
Unless you want to see what the day of the week new years will be on in 20 years... ;)

I am always screwing around with terminal emulator. Though, most of what I do is just that, screwing around.

;D

same here 2 cynic do a bunch of oooohhhhhhh aaaaaaaaawwwwwwww then i wipe flush and move on :D

serously I wish I new halve the commands and stuff as most of these younger guys do.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
same here 2 cynic do a bunch of oooohhhhhhh aaaaaaaaawwwwwwww then i wipe flush and move on :D

serously I wish I new halve the commands and stuff as most of these younger guys do.
Oh yeah, I know what you mean. And I find terminal emulator doesn't work with my keyboard of choice (I forget what it's called - it has a cool clock function... ???)...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones