• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cognition 3.01 finally an official Froyo build.

you wont be able to use odin as it is a EXE. Go to XDA I think i was reading.something about flashing with ubuntu. When I get home tonight i will see if i can find you a link. I primarily use linux but as soon as soon as i started flashing my phone I dual booted my pc with windowz just to make things a little easier, food for thought ;).

That'd be nice if you could find it.

Or couldn't I just like go to the library and use their computers? Or my mom's work computer?

Yeah, I have had 3.02 on my phone for about 18 hours now and I couldn't be happier. I had a couple issues this morning:

1. My Captivate wouldn't automatically connect to my home phone via Bluetooth. Came home from work this evening and it connected right away.

2. I have my corporate exchange e-mail on my phone through the default e-mail client and I got three e-mails this morning with no notification (audio or icon in the notification bar). Every e-mail after those first three gave me a notification and it has worked fine since.

Everything else works amazingly! The GPS locks very quickly, but I am not sure it is any more accurate when I am driving. I expected things to be a lot faster than they were, but after opening my apps screen it can take a couple seconds before I can scroll through them. Not every time, but every once in a while.

Things I love that may not be as obvious as the GPS:
1. A REBOOT BUTTON!! (Seriously)

2. A better battery icon with the percent remaining in the icon

3. A brightness setting for the browser that you can set, rather than being automatic.

4. Mobile AP (Access Point). I still prefer the Wireless Tether app though because it has more options and provides more stats.

5. The vertical scrolling app screen

6. Battery life does seem better, but one day isn't enough to tell

Overall, very happy I flashed and not sure I will go back stock when stock 2.2 is available.

Or couldn't I just like go to the library and use their computers? Or my mom's work computer?

This first link is just for reference
http://blog.konradvoelkel.de/2010/12/froyo-and-root-on-samsung-galaxy-i9000-with-linux-only/

This is on XDA you can use the search for more links there are quite a few.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=475361

its really great, but im not a fan of dg's font choice. does anyone know an easy way to get the default android font back?

I found a way to get the Android font back using TypeFresh, available on the Market. So I was messing around, changing the fonts and when my phone rebooted after one of the changes, it is now stuck on the AT&T screen and has a specific vibrating pattern.

Now I have to download ODIN to my work laptop to get my phone back to stock so I can even use it. It's taking awhile because I am on a Verizon broadband card. It may be two hours before I can even use my phone. :(

Thanks so much to DG! This was my first attempt at rooting/flashing and it worked out beautifully. Great instructions in the video and a wonderful user experience with the new ROM - love it. I really wish I would have done this much sooner. Thanks again.

Thanks so much to DG! This was my first attempt at rooting/flashing and it worked out beautifully. Great instructions in the video and a wonderful user experience with the new ROM - love it. I really wish I would have done this much sooner. Thanks again.

Also Love it!

Quick question......can/should I delete the cognition rom zip file from the phones root directory once this is all done?

One tip you people wanting to flash a ROM. Buy Titanium Backup before you do it. When you do a "restore apps" with the free version you have to click and approve each one, with the paid version you can do just click yes once and it does all the app restores as a batch.

If you are changing Android versions (like going from stock Eclair to a Froyo ROM) do NOT restore system settings. Restoring system settings from Eclair to Froyo will screw up your phone in all kinds of interesting ways. You will need to do a master rest and wipe all your apps.

OMG!

I flashed Cog 3.02 yesterday.

For the first time ever, I woke up this morning and my WIFI was still working! Normally the Android WIFI hangs after a few hours and the phone needed to be power cycled.

I walked outsite and the GPS synced in litterly 5 seconds. normally this could take 20 minutes!

AT&T and Samsung. You should be completely ashamed of yourselves.

One big thing, for me at least, that's missing is Quick Office. But I'll take loss of that over the old ROM any day.

Screw you AT&T and Samsung. I will never get another Samsung phone again.

Grr Im having no luck getting odin to recognize my phone. I hold the volume up/down and plug in phone. i get the yellow android "downloading" screen on phone, but Odin remains blank. any ideas?

Yes I have got the drivers installed

Grr Im having no luck getting odin to recognize my phone. I hold the volume up/down and plug in phone. i get the yellow android "downloading" screen on phone, but Odin remains blank. any ideas?

Yes I have got the drivers installed

I had that happen the first time I tried to use Odin too. Unplug, take out the battery, and then put the battery back in. Then follow these steps:

1. Open Odin on your computer
2. Hold Volume up and down buttons
3. Plug in the phone

It worked for me the second time, but not the first.

Ive tried several times. I must be doing something wrong. I noticed that when I turn the phone on normally then plug it in, odin sees it. found that out accidentally.

I had your same problem. I had to completely re-do my phone. Unroot, everything. The re-root your phone and go through all the steps that the video tells you to do and it should work. Its very time consuming but it works. Trust me, I spent 9 hours figuring it out.

loving the AP, kid was sick in bed so had her use her cruz reader to surf the net when she got bored... :cool:

I found another froyo rom based on the armani captivate. It is wicked fast and the first non perception/cognition i flashed. It based on a cappy also and is called andromeda. Check it out on XDA. I am going to stick with this for awhile. my cappy has never been this smooth. left for work about 10 and at 6 still had 68% battery left. GPS works and i am really psyched.

Back