• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cognition 3.01 finally an official Froyo build.

Thanks for the help, i think Ill wait till weekend to try again, when I have more time

That would be a good idea. It is VERY time consuming. Make sure to keep Odin and the One Click Root programs on computer. You will need them sometime in the future and Odin takes a bit to download. Just remember to go step by step on the video. Every step you makes needs to be what he does. I'm sure once you get your phone back to stock, you will have your phone on COG 3.02 in no time:D

OMG!

I flashed Cog 3.02 yesterday.

For the first time ever, I woke up this morning and my WIFI was still working! Normally the Android WIFI hangs after a few hours and the phone needed to be power cycled.

I walked outsite and the GPS synced in litterly 5 seconds. normally this could take 20 minutes!

AT&T and Samsung. You should be completely ashamed of yourselves.

One big thing, for me at least, that's missing is Quick Office. But I'll take loss of that over the old ROM any day.

Screw you AT&T and Samsung. I will never get another Samsung phone again.

I use "Documents To Go" works great!

Also Love it!

Quick question......can/should I delete the cognition rom zip file from the phones root directory once this is all done?

As I understand it, yes. You should only need a ROM file on your internal SD if you are in the process of flashing to it.

On another note, Hell yeah! 24 hours in and loving every minute of it! Not one issue (that I have noticed). Samsung and AT&T can go smoke ham for all I care. Who cares about broken promises when you are not dependent on them? Not me...

I see that this version still has the old lock screen. Anyone know where to get taplock.zip to install the 202 lock screen (the one with slide and mute)

OMG!

One big thing, for me at least, that's missing is Quick Office. But I'll take loss of that over the old ROM any day.

XDA is the only update server you really need :-)

Isn't Quick Office available in the android app store for Captivate owners? Its been a long while but I thought it came up if you searched for "Samsung" or "Captivate". Kind of like the Samsung Car Home app.

I go to the link to get 3.02 and there is a 3.03 instead>>>>LOL.....any idea what the changes are. Plus when I put my phone into Downllaod mode it says I need Gadget Serial Driver.

Here is the link to the thread I put in AndroidCentral forum
GADGET serial driver - Android Forums

Can someone tell me what to do about this

I go to the link to get 3.02 and there is a 3.03 instead>>>>LOL.....any idea what the changes are. Plus when I put my phone into Downllaod mode it says I need Gadget Serial Driver.

Here is the link to the thread I put in AndroidCentral forum
GADGET serial driver - Android Forums

Can someone tell me what to do about this

This driver comes with Kies too, so if you install Kies you will have this driver on your computer.

Attempted to install this with ROM Manager... it went through the normal reboot, installing, then it shut off and won't respond to any attempts to turn it back on. I tried popping the battery and SIM and plugging it in and everything I could think of. It won't respond at all. No lights, no screen, nothing. Someone help?

Attempted to install this with ROM Manager... it went through the normal reboot, installing, then it shut off and won't respond to any attempts to turn it back on. I tried popping the battery and SIM and plugging it in and everything I could think of. It won't respond at all. No lights, no screen, nothing. Someone help?

Have you tried to get into download mode?

It's possible it's a hard brick (happened to me after the OTA update). Either Jig or warranty replacement if that's the case.

I really like the ROM, it's quite fast.

However, i think it's draining battery faster than it did with JH7. I'll lose percentage points quite quickly, much quicker than JH7, especially while using the phone.

Any ideas?

This driver comes with Kies too, so if you install Kies you will have this driver on your computer.

Thanks for the response.
Are you talking about the full version of Kies or Mini? I had the full version but was not working so I uninstallled it. If need be I will put it back on and give it a try. Also will it overwrite the Samsung modem and usb drivers. I finally got those to work and hate to have to deal with that again.

mnemonicj
THANK YOU I did the Kies mini and it solved the problem....
I am going to do the Cog 3.03 and see if I can get it right....

Have you tried to get into download mode?

It's possible it's a hard brick (happened to me after the OTA update). Either Jig or warranty replacement if that's the case.

Nah, download mode didn't work either. Took it in this morning for a warranty replacement. Guess I'll try again tonight.

After a few days on Cognition 3.02, I can definitely say that I have experienced improved battery life. I used to have issues with getting in the red if I played music on my phone throughout the day, but I am not having any trouble getting through a whole day on a single charge.

One issue I have noticed though is that the battery use details are limited to Display, Cell Standby, and Phone Idle. Also, when I look in Cell Standby it always shows that my phone has only had a signal 50% of the time, which is untrue. Anyone else seeing this?

Yeah the Battery use details have fewer details. Mine just has Display, Cell Standby, Phone Idle and Wifi.

Except I haven't experienced improved battery life yet. Maybe my phone has to re-adjust itself? JH7 had better battery life at it's high point, although I do remember at one point it had very poor battery life, much worse than this.

Cog 3.01 is my first flashed rom.

Hmm, weird. Listening to music and received a call. The music didn't pause and my phone was on silent so I am not sure if it rang, so I picked up the call and 10 seconds into the call, I decided to unplug my headphones, which promptly hung up on the person on the other end.

This first link is just for reference
Froyo (and root) on Samsung Galaxy I9000 with Linux only – Konrad Voelkel's Blog

This is on XDA you can use the search for more links there are quite a few.
Flash Rom under Linux - xda-developers

Well actually, all I need to do is just get back to stock with Linux... I prefer to flash the ROMs by using the Dolphin Browser to DL the ROM and flashing it straight from the phone. Very easy.

But how can I get back to stock? When I was on Windows the Odin 1 Click wouldn't work, I could never get the yellow box to appear, wouldn't mount.

Some people have flashed from 2.(build) with success, but it's safest to ODIN back to stock, and then flash straight to 3.02.

Don't even concern yourself with the 3.01 to 3.02 update zip unless that is exactly what you are doing.

Maybe a dumb question...what is the procedure for updating to 3.02 from 3.01? Thanks

Another dumb question: is there a way to switch the market back to AT&T after installing Cognition 3.x?

I use a bunch of AT&T apps (QuickOffice, myWireless, etc) and want to still be able to receive and be notified of the updates.

Back