• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you still use Facebook? Why?!

All the "cool kids" use instagram and snapchat nowadays, so you must be cool!

(The hotheads use twitter for politics, btw)
I have twitter account but mostly follow Voice Actors, I do also have an Instagram account I barely use these days, because I respect my privacy.

After 2 serious hacks (one involving my brother's VA disability$$) and all the Kool-Aid drinking political nut jobs I'm done. If someone is still participating, would you please point out to them that responses to intelligent debate that would be very IQ draining would be:
1. I know you are but what am I?
2. Are you on welfare?
3. You're an idiot, you're a stupid bitch,
, Commie, _______Lover.
Just to name a couple. Particularly hurtful when it comes from parents, clergy and your best friend who tried to make you get out of their car at a red light. Bufoons😏.
Oh that's just great. Now I'm name calling.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 2 serious hacks (one involving my brother's VA disability$$) and all the Kool-Aid drinking political nut jobs I'm done. If someone is still participating, would you please point out to them that responses to intelligent debate that would be very IQ draining would be:
1. I know you are but what am I?
2. Are you on welfare?
3. You're an idiot, you're a stupid bitch,
, Commie, _______Lover.
Just to name a couple. Particularly hurtful when it comes from parents, clergy and your best friend who tried to make you get out of their car at a red light. Bufoons😏.
Oh that's just great. Now I'm name calling.
Let's make sure we keep political talk where it belongs and out of this thread.

Where does it end?!

"Facebook has lost a copy of the personal details of 29,000 of its employees after hard drives containing unencrypted payroll information were stolen from an employee's car."

Really? :o

I love how the article refers to fb as 'the antisocial network.' :D

"This is certainly a unique situation for Facebook, as the data-slurping biz usually finds itself on the other side of egregious violations of personal privacy. Facebook has made something of a custom out of letting outside developers play fast and loose with user profile information. "

Great article. Thanks for sharing, @JAy3001!

What really amazed me was that the employee that took the unencrypted drives/data offsite, without permission.. who obviously then lost said drives only got a slap on the wrist!! Surely this is a "you're fire!" incident?

Maybe they just lost their xmas bonus? :p Or could it have been the CEO himself?! In that case I would give myself a slap on the wrist and go to bed early without tea for a week. ;)

What really amazed me was that the employee that took the unencrypted drives/data offsite, without permission.. who obviously then lost said drives only got a slap on the wrist!! Surely this is a "you're fire!" incident?

Maybe they just lost their xmas bonus? :p Or could it have been the CEO himself?! In that case I would give myself a slap on the wrist and go to bed early without tea for a week. ;)
No kidding, it feels like a great feeling without becoming a slave to them :D

It's really hard for me to imagine how/why that happened.

Back in the '80s, before the [public] Internet, before cloud storage, I'd do a full backup of our system last thing before leaving for the day, and take the disks home with me. I never left them unattended in my car--but even if I had, their contents would've been useless to any would-be thief, for several reasons. I can't wrap my head around this!

And, yes, it's definitely a "you're fired"-level screw-up. I can't imagine letting it go with a slap on the wrist. At least a week or two suspension, without pay, but not a slap on the wrist.

What amazes me is that they are allowed to store such information unencrypted in the first place (though I do know that US data protection law is lax generally).

What amazes me is that they are allowed to store such information unencrypted in the first place (though I do know that US data protection law is lax generally).
You'd think that by now--after its bazillion privacy breaches, and the reasons behind them--fb would be more diligent about protecting its data. But nooooooo! :o

I got off facebook when I realized they were committing fraud to rig an election. I don't care if it was the candidate I was going to vote for or against, it's just wrong and IMO criminal.

By continuing to be on facebook, I felt I was being an accessory to the crime and that is against my principles and values so I had to get off.

I deleted my data before getting off (via PC Mag instructions), so I guess I got off while the getting was good.

Notes

Just read an interesting article about one of my favorite entities, Mozilla, and thought I'd share.

It's called Inside Mozilla's 18-month effort to market without facebook.

As an avowed fb hater, I particularly enjoyed its last paragraph:

"More consumers are starting to understand what a danger digital privacy is,” said Adamson. “While it’s a niche issue now, a growing segment of the market is aware of and concerned with keeping their data private. Facebook is the evil empire in that world, so saying, ‘I’m not going to advertise on Facebook’ [could help] the Firefox brand. Not choosing Facebook has become a positive badge, although it’s still a phenomenally important marketing tool.”

Mozilla has been an important part of my years online. Its browser, originally called Mozilla (and now part of the SeaMonkey Suite, previously Netscape Navigator), was routinely referred to as 'mozzarella' by my mom. :)

That was after I wiped window$ off her computer and installed Kubuntu Linux on it. All she'd known was crappy, bloated, slow computing and surfing--in other words, normal micro$oft behavior; wow, was she ever pleasantly surprised by the change! :D

Just read an interesting article about one of my favorite entities, Mozilla, and thought I'd share.

It's called Inside Mozilla's 18-month effort to market without facebook.

As an avowed fb hater, I particularly enjoyed its last paragraph:

"More consumers are starting to understand what a danger digital privacy is,” said Adamson. “While it’s a niche issue now, a growing segment of the market is aware of and concerned with keeping their data private. Facebook is the evil empire in that world, so saying, ‘I’m not going to advertise on Facebook’ [could help] the Firefox brand. Not choosing Facebook has become a positive badge, although it’s still a phenomenally important marketing tool.”

Mozilla has been an important part of my years online. Its browser, originally called Mozilla (and now part of the SeaMonkey Suite, previously Netscape Navigator), was routinely referred to as 'mozzarella' by my mom. :)

That was after I wiped window$ off her computer and installed Kubuntu Linux on it. All she'd known was crappy, bloated, slow computing and surfing--in other words, normal micro$oft behavior; wow, was she ever pleasantly surprised by the change! :D
I call it Mozzarella from time to time :)

yes sometimes for read news
No, no, no: Facebook is the absolute worst news source on the planet. You'll just get stuff filtered to suit what their algorithms think are your existing prejudices (the "filter bubble" problem), with no regard for veracity (falsehoods spread via Facebook is what the term "fake news" was invented to describe).

People getting their news from Facebook is a genuine social problem. Don't join them.

Actually, of those who call themselves "Legitimate" News (Facebook is not included)

Fox News is the worst with only 8% truth.

MSNBC does a little better with 9%.

According to Politifact, CNN has the best truth rating and was the most impartial (that surprised me)
Press#5 Mark Twain.jpg

I have facebook purity, ad blocker, badger blocker to keep my cookies, ontop of that ghostery too, so yeah
I am still clearing out my cookies what is left of them on my chrome, but there is no need for my data to go haywire over the top.

Back
Top Bottom